Start by marking “The American Earl” as Want to Read:
The American Earl

The American Earl

A New Joan Wolf Regency Romance!

When the Earl of Althorpe dies his daughter Julia is horrified to learn that the new earl is an American. Her father has left their estate, Stoverton, burdened with enormous debt and the only good news about the new earl is that he’s a millionaire. Julia’s hope is that he will bail the estate out and go back home to America, leaving her to
Published October 3rd 2014 by Ten Talents Press

To ask other readers questions about The American Earl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Earl

Vicki
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book had a unique perspective. an american has inherited the Earldom from his uncle. He has never been to England before and he is an American through and through. He is a patriot from Boston.

When Evan arrives at Stoverton he is met by Julia Marshall his cousin and she is not happy about his arrival. She is a headstrong opinionated and very self sufficient young lady. She has no use for Americans.

The family decides to go to London for the season and both Evan and Julia are not that excited
Nancy
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I feel soooo bad giving a book by one of my favourite authors a measly 3 stars. The story was nice, the characters were nice and the love between the h and H was nice. It was all nice and dare I say it, a little bit humdrum.

Oh well, this will not stop me from reading another one of her books. I hope the next one will have more angst and passion in it.
Alice
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
America and Regency at peace

When a American unexpectedly inherits a Earldom right after the end of the War of 1812, he encounters difficulties with his English cousins and local customs. Despite this, his sense of personal honor carries him through. The story revolves around his cousin Julia who is immersed in the history and legacy of the Marshalls and is one very stubborn, implacable girl. This of course is a romance, but I thought that the surprise twists at the end very well done. A very exc
Dottiebears
While I usually like this author, this book was a stinker. I'm being generous giving it 2 stars.

The premise was interesting and the book "could" have been good, unfortunately it missed the mark. The H was nice. Very nice. He could have done a LOT better than the immature, nasty, mouthy, unpleasant heroine. She was not perky, not assertive, not pleasant. She was rude and pushy. She ruined the book.
Melanie S Read
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A regency with an honest heroine

The American Earl is an enthralling story, brought to life by unique yet realistic characters. The back story to the love story is just as engrossing as the story between Julia and Evan.
Sheri
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the style of book Joan Wolf wrote in the 1980s. I read them all and I loved them. Several were favorites I re-read and re-read. I loved this new book just as much as those old favorites. Wolf has her own unique style and voice and it suits me. The hero and hero are mad for each other but there's a conflict keeping them apart. This was a wonderful read, as I was able to wallow in a style and storytelling I love so much.
A. R.
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Delightful little read. This is how regency romance should go. Proper English rules (although there’s plenty of scandalous activity if you look under the covers – pun intended) with balls and theater and horseraces and aristocracy.

Characters are delightful – no one exceptional, but just likable. There is a fun little twist in the story—one that made me laugh out loud and exclaim, “Didn’t see that coming!” Writing style is breezy and appropriate for the tale.

Over all, if you like regency you’ll l
Theresa
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Tedious

I just can't find very much to recommend this novel which reads like checklist of Regency romance plot elements. The reader is 'treated' to a heroine that is more immature and aggravating than 'spunky,' a plot that is just slow and dull rather than absorbing, a hero with a somewhat delusional view of early 18th century America and secondary characters best described as cliched rather than interesting. The chemistry between the H/h in the obligatory sex scene at the end had all of the 'hot
Sumeetha Manikandan
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the premise of an American Earl and an English heroine. Though the plot is nothing new. A new earl Evan Marshall comes to take possession of a family estate and his cousin Julia is horrified to find him thoroughly American with no idea whatsoever about his English heritage. I liked the way they tussle and yet gain respect for each other. There is a big twist in the end which was unexpected.

What didn't work for me in this book was that the plot was good but it would have been good if more
Victoria Leo
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
good example of the genre

This well written romp has the usual characters, not as well drawn as a Carla Kelly, but better than average. You know how it's going to end but it's fun getting there. The usual illegitimacy. Some problems include a regency American thinking first cousins shouldn't marry, when that was one of the most c common marriages, on either continent. Some other failures to research. But she got the American details right most of the time. Omg almost forgot, she really blew it wi
Li
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Not one of her best, but if you’re after a Joan Wolf historical romance fix, this would probably do nicely. Her usual formula is present (start with a naive heroine, add a dashing hero, and a love match results). I appreciated that there was no Big Misunderstanding used to drum up drama, and that the beautiful cousin is both funny and a friend, not just a stereotype. In fact, all the secondary characters are less stereotypical then at first glance, which was a bonus.
Wendy Tavenner
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first book by the author and I loved it. The book seemed to be written in the first person like she's telling her (Julia's) story. Lady Julia finds her father dead outside, he had killed himself. Since both her brothers are also deceased the next in line is an American, her fathers youngest brothers son (Evan). Julia is appalled that an American will be taking our her beloved home. A great story with a little twist and a wonderful ending!!
Kathleen Crowell
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I REALLY liked the first part of the book, maybe almost first 2/3. Then it steamrolled and everything cliche happened at once and kind of ruined it for me.
Kelly_Instalove
LOVED EVERY WORD OF IT.
Frank Matela
Back to the good old days.

I still have the original paperbacks of Joan Wolfs initial works. Like comfort food, this book is a comfortable read.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Quick but good read!
P.
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it
It's really just OK - the characters are simplistic, the heroine almost unbearable, and the plot linear - but it's Wolf who has written other, much better books.
Greer
Dec 24, 2014
Carole
Apr 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Libby's London Merchant (Nesbitt, #1)
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #2)
  • Connie (The Daughters of Allamont Hall, #3)
  • A Grand Race (Sutton Family, #3)
  • Undercover Lover (Take Me, Lover, #2)
  • The Emperor's Agent (Numinous World, #5)
  • A Little Bit Scandalous (Forbidden Love, #3)
  • Be My Fantasy (The Fantasy Series, #1)
  • Lovers and Ladies (Lovers and Ladies, #5&6)
  • The Genuine Article (Regency Nobles #0.5)
  • The Gunslinger
  • The Preacher's Daughter
  • You Could Make a Life
  • Taming a Rake into a Lord (Taming the Heart, #4)
  • The Heart of Christmas (Carhart #0.5; Tallants #3.5)
  • Christmas Seduction
  • Mountain Rose
  • The Christmas Cuckoo
Joan Wolf is a USA TODAY bestselling American writer, whose acclaimed Regency romances have earned her national recognition as a master of the genre. Her many historical and contemporary romances, some of which have been chosen as Literary Guild selections, have been highly praised by reviewers and authors alike.

Joan was born in 1951 and she grew up in the Bronx, New York. A former English teacher