Start by marking “Secret Santa” as Want to Read:
Secret Santa

Secret Santa (Poldore #2.5)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A self-confessed Christmas queen, Sue Montaigne prides herself on organising the annual nativity pageant in her small Cornish village of Poldore.

But this year, what with having to deal with the repairs on Castle House after it was wrecked by a terrible storm, training a new – and frankly flighty – Virgin Mary and managing a Joseph who is allergic to sheep, she is distinctl
ebook
Published November 6th 2014 by Ebury Digital

To ask other readers questions about Secret Santa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Santa

Samantha
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved 'Just for Christmas' and 'Two weddings and a baby' last year, so when I heard Scarlett Bailey was back with Secret Santa also set in Poldore, I needed to read it.

This story centres around Sue, Sue inherited a large castle in the village, that had been passed down to her by her ancestors. She has got big financial problems and some with her husband. Sue is really in the heart of the community, she decides to really throw herself into the festivities this year, things are not p
Jill
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm sat here typing and humming 'Santa Claus is coming to town' thanks to Scarlett Bailey and Secret Santa! This novella is a fun festive read with some romance that I really enjoyed.

We meet Sue, the village do-er in the build up to Christmas. Sue is the centre of village life and is taking the lead on organising all the village festivities. When we meet her she is desperately trying to convince one of the locals to don his Santa suit for the annual Christmas pageant and grotto....without much
Anne
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've made no secret of how much I've loved Scarlett Bailey's previous Poldore novels - I'm sure you'll have seen my reviews of Just For Christmas and Two Weddings And A Baby, and I think I could now find my way blindfold from The Silent Man to Castle House - and this Kindle-only novella was a lovely opportunity to visit old friends again.

Sue Montaigne has always been one of my favourite characters, the powerhouse behind the annual Christmas pageant, the saviour of Poldore during the flood, the
Kim
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, kindle, net-galley
What a special short story. We rejoin the folk of Poldore- which was a lovely surprise. Sue is devastated when 'Santa' retires and she has to audition for the perfect replacement. She approaches a local Hollywood star to ask if he'll come along to help audition- so that more of the locals will volunteer.

She's going to make the grotto at her family home and we get swept up in the preparations and the magical place they create. She also finds a very special Santa- who is very secretive. Is he the
Emma Star Crossed Reviews
This review was originally posted on Star Crossed Reviews I have previously read the first book in the Poldore Series Just for Christmas a few years ago and I love Scarlett's writing.

Sue is always at the heart of the village. She makes sure that everything runs smoothly for all the local community events. Sue sees her self as the bossy villager that no one likes. She couldn't be more wrong. Everyone loves her.

Sue is having marital problems and may need to move out of her ancestral home in the ne
Sharon Atkinson
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had me grinning from ear to ear. Such a lovely festive read.
MetLineReader
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A little bit of Christmas magic to finish the series. A little far fetched but enjoyable tale, finalising the poldore series. Amusing in places, it was good to see a little more depth to the character of Sue.

It was too short - a novella rather than a book!

4* but should be read after books 1 and 2 in the series.
Agi
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Oh, Scarlett Bailey, the Queen of Christmas, is back with her new short story "Secret Santa"! It's such a shame that it's only a short story, as it is about Poldore, and I can't have enough of Poldore and its residents. But, okay, no Christmas would be Christmas without a book from Scarlett, no matter if full length novel or a short story, and as "Secret Santa" has left me with a smile on my lips, then I guess I couldn't ask for more.

This time Scarlett concentrates on Sue Montaigne. Sue, that al
Holly
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed for Bookaholic Confessions In Secret Santa we return to one of my favourite settings ever… Poldore. If you’ve read any of Scarlett Bailey’s previous novels then you’ll already be familiar with this beautiful village and its array of residents.
This time the story focuses on the ever-in-control Sue Montaigne…only it appears this Christmas she’s not as in control of everything as she would like.
Castle House is falling apart and Sue has no idea where she’s going to find the mon
Fabulous Book Fiend
Review: What a fabulous festive novella. I love the Poldore novels by Scarlett Bailey and I was so pleased when I found out that there would be a festive novella this year. I think people expect this lovely author to come out with some at Christmas and so we were all a bit worried when she brought something out in the summer but here we are being spoilt because we have Scarlett in the summer and Scarlett for Christmas too. If you love the Poldore novels already out there by Scarlet Bailey, you w ...more
Lisa Bentley
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis

It is but a few days before Poldore’s annual Christmas pageant and Sue’s usual Santa Claus has retired, parked the reindeer and hung up his present sack. Sue has to ensure that the event runs as smoothly as it does every year, not just because she is a control freak and town matriarch but also because the people of Poldore are only just getting over the devastating impact of last year’s inclement weather. On a more personal note, Sue also is trying to hold things together ever since her
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a delightful, uplifting festive read. It has kept me in the festive mood and I feel like I have a much brighter outlook after reading it. I didn’t want the story to end; I want to find out what happens in the rest of Sue’s life. When I wasn’t reading it I was thinking about it and didn’t want to put it down. If I didn’t have to work I would easily have read it in one sitting as it isn’t a very long book.

I loved this story it was based around Sue the main character who was in charge of runn
Simona
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-not-read
Yay, we are back in Poldore! One of the most festive and sweet places, especially around Christmas. If you know Scarlett Bailey’s book, you know Alex, Ruan, Tamsyn and Jed and yes we get to read about them again! Alex and Ruan had some happy news and I couldn’t be more excited about that!

This story is about Sue Montaigne, a 40 years old mum, who is organising Poledore’s Christmas pageant. Her marriage is struggeling and she is very busy. She has to deal with all these roles and who is going to b
Natalie TBGWP
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so lovely to be back in Poldore, and even more lovely that we're back at Christmas. Catching up with characters we have grew fond of, and meeting new ones as we read on.

Secret Santa is the perfect Christmas short story. It's not all happy families, love and romance, with a hint of Christmas thrown in like most Christmas books. It's a story much deeper than that, it's about respect, loyalty, friendship. About a lady who's lost in herself, so used to just getting on with things, and being u
Paris Baker
Originally posted on Paris Baker's Book Nook.

Sue Montaigne packs quite a punch in Poldore; resident busy body, and an unofficial town leader. The Christmas Pageant is her pride and joy of the festive season, but this year it’s not at all going to plan. With their long-standing Santa dropping out with only days to go, Sue is left to arrange some very last minute auditions.

They go abysmally, until one Santa turns up who almost seems like the real thing. He’s a little bit crackers himself, but he’s
Suze Lavender
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sue has got a lot of organizing to do for Christmas. She lives in a small village with a close community and she shoulders a lot of responsibility. She's organizing the nativity pageant and she's the judge at the auditions for a new Santa. She's asked a famous actor to help her out, but unfortunately he can't be there. He is sorry for standing her up though. A mysterious and quite authentic Santa comes to her rescue. He's a bit odd, but perfect for the job. He even asks Sue to tell him her Chris ...more
Erin
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of Scarlett’s that I’ve read although I have a few in my TBR including another Christmas Story Santa Maybe! It’s a Christmas novella set in the village of Poldore featuring some of the characters from the novel Scarlett released earlier this year called Two Weddings and a Baby.

The story is all about head Christmas organiser Sue Montaigne and her last minute dash to find a replacement Santa.

I love Christmas stories and I’ve been trying lots of different authors and finding
Elaine
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This festive read has a delightful Cornish setting – Poldare, a harbourside village where the locals rub shoulders with the rich and famous who have come to make this their home. SueMontaigne is busy orchestrating the annual Christmas pageant but has found a problem – they need a Santa, and not just any Santa, because Sue has high standards. We join her in her search for that special person and what follows is a delightful read. Sue likes to take control, but for once she is going to have to del ...more
Tammy
This holiday romance has:
❄Focus on a Winter Holiday
❄Mysterious Santa
❄Friends and Family Pitching In

Sue Montaigne organizes everything for everyone and she intends to do that this Christmas, even after her husband left her (yet again) and she's close to losing her family home. Except... she just can't handle it. Santa's quit, just days before the holiday pageant, and she's got to find a new one. She does, and she also finds a handsome actor, the support of her friends, and, finally, time to be h
Julia Ibbotson
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and fluffy, just the job when you're in the festive spirit but snuffling with colds and coughs, snowed-in, and need a cosy read by the fire with a hot chocolate! I like Rowan's (aka Scarlett Bailey) fluent writing and attention to minor characters as well as the main ones. There were some interesting and amusing characters here. Fantasy with a core of reality and humour - and magic in the form of a secret Santa.
Julie Boon
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Scarlett's other two books about Poldore and I am glad I have read this short story about Sue. Although the author describes Sue as a bit of a busy body, she rules the village with an iron fist, but also Sue has a vulnerable side and in this story we discovered the other side! I really enjoyed this story and finding out what happens to Sue at Christmas time and hope it isn't the last we hear from Poldore as I have loved reading about the characters.
Verity W
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
****Copy from Net Galley in return for an honest review

I really enjoyed this. Very festive, but without being cloying or sickly. I hadn't read any Scarlett Bailey before - but I will go and look out for more after this. I suspect this novella centred on minor characters from another book - but it worked really well for me as a standalone.

I've read quite a few Christmas short stories in the last week and a bit and this is one of my favourites so far.
Nicola Clough
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a new author for me and I will be buying more of her books. It's about a village who have a Christmas fate and Sue is in charge of organising it. Her husbands has left her but she doesn't want people to know she lives in the village castle and is struggling to keep up with bills. Read on to find out if she finds a Santa to be at the fate and how it all goes.
Book-shelf Shelf
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved that this was a Christmasy sequel to two weddings and a baby! I didn't really like sue in that but in this I really felt sorry for her character and realized everything she does is for her family and Poldore. I really wasn't expecting the ending that we got and hope there will be a follow on I think it would be very good loved the whole ? Surrounding "nick" too.
Debra Mandel
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a really nice story, easy to read, great to have found another author to add to my list.
Bev Dulson
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For all the believers....
Lynnette
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great short story. A good follow on from just for Christmas and Really glad Sue Montaigne got her story. Magical Christmas read!
Rachel
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adored this, feeling all festive and want to get my decorations out.
Donna Irwin
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little seasonal novella from one of my favourite authors! Nice easy read on a plane between Amsterdam and Nice - and full of those lovely Cornish folk!
Katrin
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Poldore again. Short and sweet story about Sue, the castle and Christmas, complete with movie star and Santa! Excited for more Poldore!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Merry Little Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • One Hundred Christmas Proposals (100 Proposals #2)
  • With Love at Christmas
  • How to Stuff Up Christmas
  • Christmas at the Beach Café
  • Home for Christmas
  • Picnics in Hyde Park
  • One Wish in Manhattan
  • Sealed with a Christmas Kiss
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Come Home for Christmas, Cowboy (The Montana Millionaires, #4)
  • Sugarplum Homecoming (Whisper Falls, #3)
  • Don't Tell the Brides-to-Be
  • The Little Christmas Kitchen
  • White Christmas: Woman Hater / The Humbug Man
  • Snowbound in Montana (Carrigans of the Circle C, #4)
  • The Christmas List
  • A Christmas Cracker
A lover of Christmas, romance and old movies Scarlett wrote her first Christmas romance 'The Night Before Christmas' in 2011. Her second novel 'Married by Christmas' and a digital novella 'Santa Maybe' are out now.
More about Scarlett Bailey