Start by marking “Streets of Shadows” as Want to Read:
Streets of Shadows

Streets of Shadows

From the editors of Dark Faith, Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon, comes a collection of supernatural crime noir.

You think you're safe. What a joke.

You don't think about the places you pass every day.
The side streets. The alleys.
The underbridges.
All you'd have to do is take a step to the side.

Then you'd know.

The streets are filled with shadows.
Published September 26th 2014 by Alliteration Ink (first published September 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Streets of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Streets of Shadows

Start your review of Streets of Shadows
Amy (Other Amy)
TL;DR version: almost all good depending on your own predilections. Standouts by Picirilli, Kloster, Snyder & Robichaud, Warrick, Rusch, Lebbon, McGuire, and Maberry. The ones by Tom, Shawl, and Sizemore didn't really work for me. The remaining stories are solid and you will love more or less depending on whether you prefer your dark fantasy to mean more fantasy, more horror, or more noir.

I wasn't really planning on reading another short story collection this year, but after I read Maurice
Casey
I bought this through a Kickstarter themed Humble Bundle a few years back. I enjoy anthologies because they give me a taste of many new authors and I usually find one or two new authors to check out. This book's theme was urban noir dark fantasy, and I generally like the tone of those types of stories. Unfortunately though, the stories in this collection kind of ran together to me, with a few standouts. I really enjoyed Paul Tremblay's story "The Large Man," which is not surprising to me because ...more
Marie
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellently cohesive anthology... all the stories are about something supernatural in a city with a dark tone and hints of noir elements. Usually with a god. Elliot Ness meets Dionysus. A junkie shoots up Aphrodite's blood. (That was actually my favorite of the stories.) A PI investigates the runaway boyfriend of The Winter Queen. (In Vancouver! Convenient because I read it in my hotel in Vancouver!)

The quality of the stories was more variable than the theme. Maybe that's just me. There were
Melissa Bennett
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was like a lot of short story compilations that I've read. You have your mix of some really great stories, some were okay and then some were not great at all. For most part it was a decent compilation. There were editing errors as well. Nothing horrible. Mostly words stuck together when there should've been a space and the Table of Contents page numbers do not match with the actual story pages.
Angela
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Some very good stories here. Worth picking up if you like both short stories and urban fantasy. These collections are usually good for making me interested in at least one new author.
Frances
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic collection; I'm usually a bit hesitant and picky about urban fantasy, but this collection swept me away. Creepy, funny, and fantastic range.
James Murphy
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing anthology! This blend of noir with urban fantasy provides some enjoyable reading. My favorites in this collection are "Cold Fear" by Lucien Soulban (dead P. I. is still on the case); "In Vino Veritas" by Tim Waggoner and Michael West (nice riff on "The Untouchables"); and "Toby's Closet" by Jonathan Maberry (P. I. helps out a single mother and her child). An anthology that is definitely worth your time and money.
Zach
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like most short story anthologies, a bit uneven, but much more good than bad.
Yara
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Only read "Best Served Cold" by Seanan McGuire- it was awesome!
Sara
Apr 07, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Oct 04, 2015
Michael West
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Josh
Dec 06, 2016
Roel Veldhuyzen
Jan 21, 2015
Jerry
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Alex
Aug 29, 2019
Alan Dehaan
Sep 15, 2014
Jerry
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Steven Salter
Sep 23, 2014

• We Have Always Fought
  • Ransom: A Katie Franklin Short Story (Blackwater Val #1.5)
  • Again, Dangerous Visions
  • The Kreutzer Sonata Variations: Lev Tolstoy's Novella and Counterstories by Sofiya Tolstaya and Lev Lvovich Tolstoy
  • Side Life
  • Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 10: Life is Too Short, Squirrel
  • Passing Strange
  • Vacation Guide to the Solar System: Science for the Savvy Space Traveler!
  • Drawn To Berlin: Comic Workshops In Refugee Shelters And Other Stories From A New Europe
  • God vs. Darwin: The War Between Evolution and Creationism in the Classroom
  • The 2016 Rhysling Anthology
  • Girl Waits with Gun (Kopp Sisters, #1)
  • Bangkok 8 (Sonchai Jitpleecheep #1)
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Smartcuts: How Hackers, Innovators, and Icons Accelerate Success