Start by marking “Barra Creek” as Want to Read:
Barra Creek

Barra Creek

An outback family saga that will knock your hat off. It's funny, poignant and completely unexpected. You won't be able to stop thinking about it.

Di's twelfth novel opens in New Zealand in the 1960s. The Mitchell family has run a prosperous sheep farm for generations and the youngest daughter, Sally, has just turned 20. She rides to the hounds and leads an indul
Published June 1st 2004 by Pan Australia (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Barra Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barra Creek

Start your review of Barra Creek
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Barra Creek, published in 2003, is the twelfth book written by ‘Australia’s grand dame of popular fiction’ Di Morrissey, as labelled by The Age. As I am long standing fan of Di Morrissey’s work and I have been slowly making my way through her extensive backlist, with only a small handful of titles left to discover. Barra Creek was one of these titles. I am using Barra Creek to cover the Book Bingo 2019 category, ‘a book written
Kim
May 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
I picked this out on Audible strictly because it was set in Australia. I honestly thought it would be a trashy romance, or at least a romance. How wrong I was! I found this to be a really nicely-paced simple but interesting story where the setting certainly becomes a character - I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the descriptions of life in the outback on a cattle station, but it feels so real because of the writer's patient crafting of each scene and detail.

You might find that you think th
Mazzy Adams
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Once I moved past the distraction of 'head-hopping' viewpoints in the early pages - something I did not expect to find from an author described as 'Australia's leading lady of fiction' - I enjoyed 'Barra Creek', my first foray into Morrissey's story-telling style. I found her characters believable and enjoyed the way the plot meandered through an interesting and, at times, compelling vista of relationships, experiences and drama. I particularly enjoyed the iconic isolated Australian setting of B ...more
Debbie Lamb
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Another solid offering from Morrissey of a family saga from the outback. Not sure I liked Sally that much - but that aside, I enjoyed the journey even though it was a little predictable in the end.
Dianna Applebaum
I have just finished a Di Morrissey marathon completing 8 of her novels, but I won't be writing 8 different reviews, I can assure you. I have never read any of her books before and was pleasantly surprised, on the whole. Morrissey strings a good story together, some a tad cliched or corny in parts, but an enjoyable time was had. I am acquainted with some of the settings she writes about so there is a familiarity to the books and it was engaging to read a place becoming a character, to create not ...more
R L PECK
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book from Di Morrissey ,this is the second book I have read. I really enjoy how she captures the feel of the place she is writing about ,and as a reader I feel as though I am there .I found some of the deaths in the book quite sad .I found the story line enjoyable and easy to follow .I can't comment how accurate life has been described on a cattle ranch ,but I liked reading about the lifestyle .I found the dynamic between Sally and the boys interesting particularly when the ...more
LIsa Partridge
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I enjoyed this book especially details about the location it was set in. Due to my dislike of hot, humid weather I can only read about these places and wish I could go there. I found the storyline and characters enjoyable and I think that there must have been many people similar to these people of the outback as so many books about that era of Australian history describe them in much the same way. I suppose the harsh conditions that were endured attracted a certain type of person which is why th ...more
Laraine
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Di Morrisey's books on Australia and this is no exception. A really good read, I'd rate it a 4-4 1/2 stars. Sally Mitchell lives an easy life as the daughter of a well to do New Zealand sheep farmer. On her way to England with a friend, Sally ends up in outback Australia as a governess instead. Sally takes to the family and outback life and has a series of interesting adventures that affect her for life. A very enjoyable read.
Maureen
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the first Di Morrissey book I've read and yes it was an enjoyable diversion. Am I dying to pick up the next one, not really. It is the sort of book that is a good choice for travelling, you are engrossed enough to pass the time but no so engrossed that you don't want to move because you are basking in the language and leaving it would spoil the moment. I did feel it gave me a good sense of a remote location that I will likely never visit and it certainly ramped up my fear of crocodiles.
Melissa Condren
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follows the usual Di Morrissey formula. Di always researches the areas really well that the novels are set in. Enjoyed the descriptive writing about the outback.
Her oils always take me on a journey and helps me switch off to reality for a while.
Lyn
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sell
Predictable ending, but not a bad read.
Kim
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great ripping Aussie yarn. Wonderful descriptions of the Australian outback. Not my usually genre but I'll listen to more from Di Morrissey.
Michelle Thompson
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanee
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read!
Natasha
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically well written and starts out well but bogs down in the middle and (I thought) had a too predictable ending.
Bronwyn Rykiert
his is my first Di Morrissey story and what a great one to start with. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is both sad and happy.

In the prologue it is 2003 and Lorna Munro is an old lady who suffers from memory loss at times and her eldest son has just put her in a aged care facility but she has a mission to find her old governess Sally and tell her some secrets that she has kept for a long time, she needs to unburden herself.

1962 South Island New Zealand, Sally Mitchell is 19 an
Tina
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story is set in Australia, practically into the wild.

Although we first meet Lorna as the main character, we soon begin to follow the path and life of Sally. At first, Sally seemed to me just a spoiled girl from a respectable family. When she decides to be a teacher of three growing boys- for a year, I have started to look at her differently. She turned out to be a great girl, with many skills, she has become an extremely likable girl.

I don't know Australia, not even l
Kym Ryan -tomlinson
My mum lent me this book, when i was in hospital with one of my babies and i read it in about 2 days. yes i had nothing to do but read and sit beside my bub in a humidity cribe. but honestly i couldn't put it down, it had me hook, line and sinker. i really enjoyed it. the nurse looking after us also had just read it and she loved it as well. yet again it was something different to what i would normally read, but after reading it, i promised myself to read more Di Morrissey books. It was like hav ...more
Carinya Kappler
This book covers two generations of Australians and New Zealanders during the latter part of the 20th century as the cultural mores of the older era merged and blurred into the more liberal thinking more recent times. Sally from an upper crust New Zealand family finds herself a position at a remote dry cattle station as a governess to the three sons of the owners, plus a group of local aboriginal children. This candid look at life with all its sordid undertones provides interesting unusual enter ...more
Toni
Aug 08, 2011 added it
I was expecting this to ba an average read but actulayy really enjoyed it. The description of this part of Australia was magnificent - you could almost smell the dust or rain. The family dynamics were well described, the reader cringes as some of the family issues hit close to home! A sad book in many ways but one I could not put down in the 2nd half and then it still seemed liek the ending came all too soon
Tiffany
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book and I loved the Australian heritage that it showed through out the book. There is nothing better than reading about a sexy cowboy lol! I suppose you could say that this book would appeal to the females out that love a good love story.

I definitely recommend it as it kept me hooked the whole book. I have read quite a few of Di Morressey's novals and this is by far her best. Enjoy the read!
Tegan Ballinger
Dec 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh how I wish I stopped after reading the free sample copy on my kindle... as soon as I got into the full book, I had to stop reading - such unrealistic characters and settings - an insult to anyone's intelligence to accept that people would talk and behave like that. This book must belong in the fantasy genre, which is not my favorite.
Lisa
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't expecting to like this, someone had given it to me in a pile of books so I thought I would give it a go. Great story set in the harsh Australian outback. Reminded me of a Judy Nunn book with the same style of setting the Aussie backdrop intertwined with classic Aussie characters, some loveable and some not so loveable. Good read.
Pauline Toohey
Miss Morrissey writes cleanly, but I don't find myself becoming emeshed into her stories. I prefer the 'hold onto your seat' and 'oh no' and the 'you're kidding' and of course, the tears, type of reactions to what I read. This was a gentle meander along a still creek.
✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿
Not something I would've picked to read, but it was recommended to me. I struggled to start with, but actually learnt a bit about Australian outback history and it ended up being a good read. The big secret was pretty predictable though.
Nicole McCann
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book! Awesome holiday read was really nicely paced and a really good story not too predictable like I thought it might be. Didn't think Di Morrissey was for me but I will definitely give her other books a chance in the future!
Bookish Enchantment (Katherine Quirke)
What a terrific story. This is my 1st Di Morrissey book and I am hooked.

The picture painted of the Australian landscape is mesmerising and so captivating. Dove-tailed with the life and loves of the 60's on an outback station this book is incredibly entertaining.
Wendy Sice
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Australiana at its best!
Gayle
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my introduction to di morrissey- great insight to outback australia and so true.

• Beneath the Southern Cross
  • The Secret Runners of New York
  • Sanctuary
  • The Mudlark Orphan
  • Gone by Midnight
  • Tiger Men
  • The Invitation
  • Floodtide
  • Without a Doubt (Detective Dave Burrows)
  • Working Class Man
  • Working Class Boy (Working Class Boy, #1)
  • My Life And Other Stuff I Made Up
  • The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle
  • The Sunday Girl
  • Scrublands
  • Hope Farm
  • The Christmas Orphan
  • The Girl in the Shadows
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1943 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas