Jump to ratings and reviews
Finding herself lost in her own sorrow, Dylan must force herself to maintain her own sanity in order to escape the clutches of the law and more importantly, the evil that has attached itself to her soul.

214 pages, Kindle Edition

First published December 30, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

R.M. Gilmore

22 books329 followers
R.M. Gilmore is a paranormal and mystery/suspense writer and creator of the occult bestselling Dylan Hart series. She resides in the Pacific Northwest with her teenage minion, bearded man-child, and toys still in the box. With an awkward and incessant sense of humor, it is likely she will die laughing.

"Star-crossed lovers and dead things. It's what I do." - R.M. Gilmore

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews
Profile Image for Tara Dawn (Colourful WordWench).
175 reviews23 followers
November 16, 2014
Dylan Hart...you poor emotionally and now mentally fucked-up soul. Where do I even begin?

Loud mouth, badass Dylan Hart is an emotional train wreck of epic proportions. After returning home from her trip to NOLA, she moves herself into her mother's home agreeing that it would be best if she weren't alone, and she damn well wasn't going to stay with Mike and deal with his baggage over their relationship. The shield Dylan wears around her heart and her true feelings has grown so large that it's wearing thin, along with her mental stability. It wasn't enough that she had to deal with dead bodies, murderers, vampires, headless zombies, voodoo bitches, and becoming a murderer herself, but now she is dealing with ghosts. Is she? Is it all in her head? Could this be an all new attack on her, or is her best friend trying to communicate with her from beyond this plane?

After questioning whether she was losing her mind in the last book and realizing she wasn't, that these things do exist, she now has to learn to come to terms with it all, along with the fact that because of her actions it cost her best-friend her life, and at her own hands no less. That is large pill to swallow for someone who doesn't like to take blame. It's always someone else's fault, never her own. Now that she is hearing her dead best friend speak to her, and getting glances of her here and there, Dylan finally believes that she has hit her breaking point. That is until something else makes itself known to her, and it is a force to be reckoned with. Dylan hasn't any choice than to seek help from no other than the leathery pirate mystic herself, Lupe. Dylan isn't stupid by any means, she knows how Lupe operates. Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, but she's not fucking around this time. With what little bit of sanity she has left, she grabs hold and takes charge putting Lupe in her place. She refuses to be lied to anymore, including lying to herself. Finally answers to questions we've waited 3 books to hear are answered! But not before there are more questions thrown at us. It wouldn't be a Dylan book without them, that's for sure.

This is the most psychological installment of Dylan Hart yet. We watch as Dylan completely falls apart and somehow musters up the courage and strength to try to put it all together again. She finally admits to herself that it's okay to feel and love is not a bad thing. By finally overcoming her own issues with herself, is she able to pull the pieces of herself back together again. This new Dylan rises from the ashes like a phoenix ready to battle her most formidable enemy yet...herself.

As much as I loved this story, it had triggers for me. After recently losing my own best friend, who was a huge Dylan fan herself, I had moments where I felt like I was in Dylan's shoes literally. Those moments were hard to say the least. I shed some tears while rooting on our fatass heroine, and at times I felt like I was rooting on myself in a twisted, uplifting way. I was able to empathize with her, and at times I could swear the words written on the pages were words that have come out of my own mouth. The answers that we get are enough to have you fist pumping the air and wanting to yell at those responsible. The ending...woooooweeeeee! Another awesome cliffhanger from RM Gilmore. I'm terrified for Dylan and intrigued as to where exactly her journey is taking her. All I know is that wherever it takes her, I want to be along for the ride.
November 3, 2014
I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at the upcoming installment of the Dylan Hart series and let me tell you, this series just keeps getting better.

Here is what you have to look forward to-

Following the horrific events that ended book three, Dylan returns home--not to her apartment but to the home she grew up in. Under her mother's careful eye, she tries to cope with the grief of losing her best friend. As if Tatum's death wasn't enough to deal with, she also has to worry about the authorities discovering her part in the murder and the possibility that there may be something deadlier than Azelie out to get her. Knowing her only hope lies with a crazy witch named, Lupe, she sets out to prepare herself for what is to come. But can Lupe truly help or is Dylan in danger of losing more of herself to the madness that threatens to consume her? Follow Dylan on another whirlwind journey as she strives to fill in the blanks with pertinent details of the supernatural world that surrounds her and hopefully arm herself with the knowledge to destroy that which threatens her very soul.

I have to say, this series is simply amazing and this book is no different.

This story is masterfully written. Gilmore does so much more than present a story; she immerses you in a world that is honestly unlike any other. Nothing is what it seems and everything that happens has so much more meaning than it would appear on the surface. The answers Dylan seeks are never as simple as she hopes... Every shred of information she finds always lead to more questions, driving her to discover more. Throughout the story, I could feel Dylan's motivation and the desperation that plagued her. Yes, the writing was that damn good. Through breathtaking imagery and fascinatingly apropos pop culture references, Gilmore takes the reader further into Dylan's mind where the dead speak and shadows seek to destroy her.

But Dylan isn't your typical heroine, nor is she content to be the damsel in distress. Life experiences have made her hard but underneath her crunchy exterior is the gooey center she tries to keep hidden. She cares deeply for only a handful of people and she is more than willing to go to hell and back for those that matter to her. She hides her noble nature behind bravado and out right bitchiness but you can't help but love her anyway.

So saddle up and hitch a ride to Crazytown with the baddest bitch in LA and find out what is in store for Dylan as she tries to unravel the mysteries of the occult.
Profile Image for Cindy Barton.
150 reviews
December 30, 2014
Dylan is back and ready to kick some a$$. Our favorite sleuth is up to her eyeballs in trouble for the happenings in New Orleans. Feeling down with Tatum being gone and all the weird stuff that went on, she sometimes feels like she is going crazy. I think it would be easier if she was. Things go bump in the night and you never know what it is going to be. Cyrus and Mike are trying their best to help but Dylan isn't one to wait around and do nothing. Nor does she want to discuss what she is going to do, she just does. Unfortunately, that action can bring more harm than good. With visions of Tatum and other un-named things in her mind, it will take all she can muster to survive. If you like a good mind f*#k, delve into the world of Dylan Hart and hold on.
January 27, 2015
As I have said in the past, I LOVE Dylan Hart, she is my kind of Heroine, she is foul-mouthed and opinionated and she is real. She has you laughing along with her and cringing at her mistakes. This is the kind of girl you want as your BFF. And despite everything that has happened to her just recently she hasn't changed, she's just allowed us to see a little deeper than before.

This book unfolds at a slightly slower pace than the others, which means you actually have time to process whats going on rather than the previous "oops, shit, run" mania that Dylan found herself in. We learn more about the world Dylan has unwittingly emerged herself in, which means we find out more about Cyrus and Dominika. And we ultimately find out more about Dylan herself... while Dylan also learns a few home truths.

Gilmore has done a fabulous job of writing a heroine who defies the norm, she leaves you guessing, and second guessing the twists and turns of this rapidly unravelling tale and in doing so she gives new meaning to the phrase "bitch from hell". I for one cant wait to read the rest of Dylans story.
Profile Image for Tonya.
1,976 reviews7 followers
BACON!!!!!!

OMG.The.Best.Dylan.Hart.Book.Yet!

Dylan still has her big butt, eyeball deep in this paranormal bullcrap. This time, she doesn't just have the voodoo peeps and vampsters after her though. There is a new detective from New Orleans investigating Tatum's murder, plus Tatum and a demon. Will Dylan ever catch a break and get back to her "normal" fat self? I seriously doubt it!

We do get to see a different side of Dylan. She actually can be serious and get in touch with her feelings. We also learn more about Cyrus. Dylan really does go through a lot in this book.

True to Dylan fashion, there are a bunch of great one-liners that come from her smart mouth.

"I just popped his gunpoint cherry. At this rate, I should start notching my gun case."

It does end in an awesome cliffhanger. But it is a freakin awesome one and you won't be (too) mad about it.

I NEED book 5 like yesterday!!
Profile Image for Nicki.
Author 8 books75 followers
December 2, 2014
Poor Dylan. This girl has been put through the wringer and the worst has yet to come. The fourth installment of the series sees Dylan finally getting some concrete answers to the weird world she’s been plunged into. After the heart wrenching ending of Sacrifice, we ease into our girl desperately trying to pick up the pieces and hold onto whatever sanity she has left. She hangs barely by a thread as the reality she once knew crumbles. There’s something hunting Dylan and I must say the author does a wonderful job of creating creepy and vivid imagery. The reader truly experiences the character’s decent into madness. As such this book is a crazy ride through the occult. I simply couldn't turn the pages fast enough. Although the book’s pacing is a fast clip, the ending builds up a head of steam and then drops us head first into further insanity. I can’t wait to see what book five has in store for the reader and Dylan Hart.
Profile Image for Colleen Everly.
374 reviews7 followers
December 8, 2014
I'm going to give you my opinion, this series is awesome. Being that I am normally a paranormal romance kind of girl I generally would not read a series like this, but a friend turned me on to this series and this author a while back and I have yet to be disappointed. It's good to read something that is a little different than your usual,it keeps things fresh.I love how even though Dylan is a self proclaimed bitch she still cares for her friends and family very deeply, and would die for them. I'm glad she has Cyrus and Mike to help her. If she didn't have such as strong disposition I don't believe she'd survived as long as she has, physically or mentally. The world needs more Dylan Harts in it. I can't wait to read more in this series and I recommend it to anyone who loves a bad ass bitch and stories of the occult.
Profile Image for Dawn.
1,509 reviews18 followers
December 28, 2014
I received a free ecopy of this book for an honest review.

First, I love Dylan Hart! She’s not your normal heroine. She’s opinionated, foul-mouthed, and stubborn but she has a heart of gold. She’s unique and she’s normally a badass.

Having lost her best friend (kind of by her own hand), Dylan has been thrown for a loop. She’s not only in mourning but she’s, literally, going crazy and is possessed. This is not your typical Dylan Hart book. It’s not action filled like the previous books. It’s more about what is going on in Dylan’s head. Mike, her ex boyfriend, is still there for her and more is learned about Cyrus.

Although this is a good read, it’s not my favorite Dylan Hart book. I look forward to reading the next one. Also, I recommend reading the other books before reading this one. I think it would be pretty confusing to read this one out of order.
Profile Image for Claire Thake.
Author 2 books21 followers
December 2, 2014
OMG Seriously how am I meant to put this into words!! In usual Dylan Hart fashion, you are taken on a roller-coaster ride like no other. Dylan being her usual 'lovable' self, in the fact that she is like no other book heroine I have read and makes a refreshing read, as she is real and you can really relate to her.

In usual Dylan Hart fashion nothing is straight forward and the more she dives into things the more questions she ends up with. This book leaves the best cliff hanger of the series yet and I'm honestly can't wait to get my fingers on the next book! In fact it can't come quick enough!!!

I'm honestly not sure whether I want to kiss RM Gilmore for being a genius or to punch her for leaving such an open ending!
Profile Image for Kristina Bonham.
50 reviews
December 30, 2014
Holy moly, where do I start with this review. Wow, that is a good start. This is a wild and crazy ride of a book. Dylan Hart is still who I want to be when I grow up. She is a no holds barred, take no prisoners, ballsy woman. The story picks up where The Sacrifice stopped and boy are you on a thrill ride. Dylan's soul is on the line and she does everything she can to get it back. I wish I could go back in time and read this book for the first time. If you haven't yet met Dylan Hart go read The Scene, you will not be disappointed especially if you are looking for a tough, sarcastic and real heroine.
Profile Image for Janna Ward.
142 reviews3 followers
December 18, 2014
I scored an ARC for this!! I can't tell you how much I love Dylan Hart!! This book is by far the best.
Profile Image for Paranormal Tendencies.
248 reviews17 followers
October 28, 2017
Dylan has come a long way since she first discovered “the scene”. She’s chased down and even staked a couple of vampires, witnessed many gruesome murder scenes, offended a voodoo priestess, lost her best friend, and now she’s literally trying to save her own soul. She definitely doesn’t lead a boring life. With the help of a cranky, old Hispanic witch she is delving further into the supernatural world than she has ever gone. And the two men in her life are there for support, but Dylan herself must do battle with her own demons. She just isn’t sure she will come out on top when the dust settles.
This series has taken me on one crazy ride after another! And I am throwing my hands in the air screaming for more!
From the snarkey heroine, the drop dead sexy mystery man, the sexy cop to all of the creepy characters, this series has got it’s hooks in me. If you are a fan of urban fantasy, paranormal, witches, voodoo, vampires, shifters, demons or any other creepy thing you will probably like this series as much as I do!
Profile Image for Ashley Poteet.
289 reviews8 followers
February 9, 2015
The Best Yet!

Absolutely fantastic! My nerves have been shot reading this lol. An amazing rollercoaster of emotions! I'm so rooting for Dylan. She has been on a crazy journey and is a strong women. I can't wait to see what's next!
Profile Image for Ashley.
207 reviews
January 14, 2016
"Like a good neighbor, witchcraft is there."

Man Dylan really pissed people off! These are slowly getting less funny and more serious! Lupe brings Dylan more trouble but can she help her fix it? Definitely jumping on the Dylan and Mike bandwagon after this one though! Love love this series!
Profile Image for Nik August.
Author 4 books2 followers
August 1, 2015
In the 4th book, things get real! Devil things, ghosts, and Cyrus and Mike working together. Who'd a thunk it. Now I'm grinding my teeth until the 5th books comes out. I'm not going to give it away, but someone behind the keypads needs a throat punch! LOL!
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.