Start by marking “Betrayed (Frozen Sky #2)” as Want to Read:
Betrayed (Frozen Sky #2)

Betrayed

(Frozen Sky #2)

SUNFISH VS HUMAN

A quake in the ice nearly kills Alexis Vonderach, setting off new confrontations with the blind alien tribes of Europa. In the weeks since First Contact, her crew has learned their bizarre language... but the sunfish are as violent as their world...
212 pages
Published by JVE (first published April 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayed

Gendou
This book was pretty good except for the fact that nothing happened. The scenes literally consist of a lady and an alien fighting, the alien goes away, and it comes back with more aliens then some of the aliens get killed by the other aliens. That's the whole book. There's lots of mildly interesting filler in between, but if I wanted to be teased like this, I'd watch an episode of Dragon Ball Z. Sigh.
David Watson
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When we last saw Alexis Vonderach in Frozen Sky it was the year 2113 and she had just made first contact with an alien race. The creatures that inhabit Jupiter’s moon Europa are referred to as sunfish by Earthlings and they live beneath the frozen surface. Earth had been taking resources from Europa for months before they realized that beneath the ice were hieroglyphics and tunnels. Vonderach and some other explorers met Europa’s locals and they were not friendly.

Flash forward three months and t
Caleb Blake
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cross-posted from Papyrus Independent Author Reviews (http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2015/02/14/frozen-sky-2-betrayed-by-jeff-carlson/)

How do you maintain a truce with a harsh alien species with which you can barely communicate? And how much more fragile is that truce when all your decisions are made by a distant bureaucracy riddled with self-interest and political agendas? One betrayal could start an inter-species war.

Betrayed is the sequel to The Frozen Sky by Jeff Carlson, an author who has ha
Ken
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of alien contact and hard science fiction.
Betrayed (Frozen Sky #2) by Jeff Carlson starts off a few months after the end of The Frozen Sky: A Novel (Frozen Sky #1). The sunfish and the human scientists are still exploring their tentative relationship, and how it will work out is still very much in doubt. A habitat module has been constructed just under the ice where humans and sunfish can meet face to “face” and negotiate. Alexis Vonderach (Vonnie) is locked in a fight for dominance with the sunfish they call “Tom”, which is necessary f ...more
Grampy
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The Frozen Sky: Betrayed” by International Best-Selling Author Jeff Carlson is another high-octane page-turning thriller in The Frozen Sky series. Picking up shortly after the original “The Frozen Sky” episode ended, we find Vonnie in a small cell under the ice, with one of the sunfish. She and the sunfish, Tom, are together for the sole purpose of learning about each other’s species. A small tremor frightens Vonnie, which excites Tom, who launches an attack on her. Fortunately, she prevails an ...more
Eero
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, ebook
The cover illustration echoes old pulp covers where women are menaced by tentacled monsters. The story opens with the exact scene depicted on the cover. Both are intentionally misleading. Yes, Vonnie does get roughed up by a sunfish, but as it turns out...

This short novel continues the story started in The Frozen Sky: The Novel, and it can't really be read on its own. There are two specific instances of betrayal, one for each species; the whole narrative deals with the negotiations between huma
Micah Shapiro
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
An enjoyable read, though it didn't capture my curiosity and fascination like the first book. This book focused on the "politics" between the humans and tribes of Europa. While it was interesting, it lacked the first book's deep exploration and thrill of adventure in going deeper and deeper down into Europa, which immersed me and made me curious to learn more about the planetary environment the aliens live in.

When I finished the first book, I was immensely curious to find out what is deeper dow
Sean Smith
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Carlson is at again in another amazing piece in The Frozen Sky series. FROZEN SKY 2: BETRAYED finds itself starting not long after the original FROZEN SKY. The book follows Vonnie on her adventurous journey in an inter-species showdown.

From the very beginning, BETRAYED feels like familiar territory in a very good way. Each page seemed to wiz by with ease as the intense action and realistic dialog was written with smooth transitions and realism. Carlson, a literary great, proves in this stor
Dave
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carlson nails it yet again, I'm now a serious fan of his work.

This shorter book continues the story of Vonnie's engagement with the mysterious sunfish on Jupiter's frozen moon. This harsh environment is filled with a sense of isolation, and sets the atmosphere for a dangerous struggle to survive in this remote desolate landscape. FS2 spends some time fleshing out the Sunfish race going into more detail of their behavioural, hierarchical and social activities. This adds so much to create a truly
Penny
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FS-2: Carlson gives us more this time about the politics and intrigue of those backing the expedition to Jupiter's moon Europa, plus the relationships and psychology of the scientific team. There's lots of conflict and tension, and great interaction between Vonnie and the sunfish as they try to understand (comprehend) one another. I am a huge fan of Tom, the "expendable" male who distinguishes himself and ascends in importance to the tribe through learning about and negotiating with Vonnie. I ke ...more
John Flanagan
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Carlson is an excellent SF writer. I have read all six of his books and felt Interrupt was his best (my favorite). The FS books are well done, have good character development, and unique narrative story lines. Give him a try if you have not read him. Keeps your interest throughout the book. I am looking for more from him.
John
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting follow-up to the first Frozen Sky. More about the politics between humans, between humans and the sunfish and between the sunfish. Leaves an intriguing cliff hanger and hints of what is to come in the sequel.
Drag0n
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoyed the first book you will enjoy this one. Just wish it was longer, sadly I finished it in one sitting.

I highly recommend all of Jeff Carlson's works if you have not read them.

Also there is no Barnes and Noble version listed here on Goodreads
Jacque Holst
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Sci Fi

Very good Science fiction. Development and relationships between humans well developed. Individual alien personalities and interaction with humans very well developed. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Matt
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This was a good sequel for Frozen Sky. A good use of characters and continuation on the events of the first book. Only thing i'd change would be to have the story a little longer. It just seemed a little shorter then I was hoping for.
Tom
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, read-2014
A great continuation to the series! I hope Jeff is right now feverishly working on the next installment
Star Shining Forever
So Vonnie, her clandestine AI Lam, and her friends who covered for her have successfully negotiated a treaty with the volatile sunfish beneath Europa's frozen sky. But all is not right as rain, as there are still many questions about this mysterious new species.

Military and science teams from all the world's major and semi-major players approach the area. Vonnie and her friends interact a lot with the sunfish, discovering that there are many tribes, each of which is headed by a few intelligent,
Star Shining Forever

David
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: I'm now reading the trilogy as a whole. This is my second time through books 1 and 2.

With two young children, my reading conditions are pretty bad: distractions, interruptions, and deep tiredness (the kind where you wake up several times with the e-reader crashing into your chest before you finally give up and put it on the nightstand). I still managed to enjoy the breakneck pace in this book. It's a short read. There are just a handful of tense scenes. Lives and more are at stake.

It does
Walter Scott
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jeff Carlson’s Vonnie would be a role model for Alien’s Ellen Ripley or Terminator’s Sarah Connor. She can be beaten, but does not know how to quit. In Frozen Sky Betrayed, Jeff Carlson further develops the culture of the sunfish, and bravely documents the near-insanity of what it takes for Vonnie to continue to protect and understand the aliens she has come to love. And then, there is the nerve-wracking intensity of human interactions among a couple of dozen people 628 million kilometers from e ...more
Ben
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing, once again. I was very intrigued about the timeline at the beginning. It was very cool. I thought the way Sunfish communicate and the way Vonnie was able to communicate back was awesome. And Lam, the AI, continues to play an important role in this series. I was so sucked into the book I felt I was beside them, and felt their emotions. I loved this book, and am looking forward to reading Blindsided. hopefully Battlefront will be done soon, because I don't want to wait.
Steven Jackson
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I enjoyed the second book in the series as much as the first. I'm looking forward to reading the third installment.
Alan
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continues the encounter with alien tribes on Europa and the difficulties of establishing a treaty with a culture barely understood and a language only just beginning to learn.
Attila Papai
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
It was quite impressive. Best book I read this year out of 14 other sci-fi books.
Jeff
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Picking up where we left off in book 1 we follow our favorite first-contact explorers as they forge a shaky alliance with the life forms they discovered on Jupiter’s moon Europa. Continuing the theme of the altruistic humans matching wits with those who seek to gain from the aliens (either dead or alive) and those who would “defend” themselves by destroying the aliens, the strange and seemingly primitive nature of the aliens adds to the tension keeping the reader turning pages. I really apprecia ...more
John Kawaki
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I Love all the books Jeff Carlson writes!!!! His books always have good story lines and they also have many twists and turns! I can't wait until Frozen Sky 3 comes out!
Liam Bennett
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was worried this would struggle to match the first in the Europa series but I'm glad to say I was proven wrong. This is a much shorter story but it worked, brilliant story, brilliant author.
Megan Carr
This sequel has little of the novelty and energy of the first installment and also suffers from some pretty lazy exposition in spots.
Russ
Apr 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty much more of the same from the first book. Not much happens, and I find the characters generally unpleasant. I did appreciate the theme that reflects on the plight of indigenous peoples after being "discovered ".
Barbara Dunbar
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frozen Sky

An excellent second book to continue this foray into a possible alliance with entirely alien lifeforms. Lots of action and drama and violence.

• Aurora: Darwin (Aurora, #1)
  • Paradox Alley (Skyway, #3)
  • Star Guild: Episode 1 (Star Guild Saga #1)
  • Sufficiently Advanced Technology (Inverse Shadows, #1)
  • Monstrous
  • Craing Dominion (Scrapyard Ship, #5)
  • Year's Best SF
  • The Illusory Prophet (Singularity #3)
  • Resonance
  • The Sixth Science Fiction Megapack
  • The Box
  • Nemesis (Nemesis #1)
  • Doctor Who - The What, Where, and How: A Fannish Guide to the TARDIS-Sized Pop Culture Jam
  • The A.I. Chronicles (The Future Chronicles)
  • The Creatures of Man
  • Far From Home: The Complete Series (Far From Home #1-12)
  • Blood Makes Noise
  • The Sensory Deception
Jeff Carlson is the international bestselling author of "Plague Year," "Long Eyes," "Interrupt" and "The Frozen Sky." To date, his work has been translated into sixteen languages worldwide.

His new novel is "Frozen Sky 3: Blindsided."

Readers can find free fiction, contests, videos and more on his web site at http://www.jverse.com

Frozen Sky (4 books)
  • The Frozen Sky (Frozen Sky #1)
  • Blindsided (Frozen Sky #3)
  • Battlefront (Frozen Sky,  #4)
“Too many people only take and take. They think it’s weak to give. I’ll give them something. “Koebsch,” 0 likes