Start by marking “A Prairie Home Companion: English Majors” as Want to Read:
A Prairie Home Companion: English Majors

A Prairie Home Companion: English Majors

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Skits and bits from "A Prairie Home Companion" celebrate the secret society of men and women who possess excellent spelling and punctuation skills.
ENGLISH MAJORS. You know who you are and here is a double-CD celebrating the secret society of those who, though they may be chauffeuring kids to swim lessons or writing Unix programs or frying cheeseburgers, still could, if n
Audio CD, 1 page
Published March 1st 2008 by HighBridge Company

To ask other readers questions about A Prairie Home Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Prairie Home Companion

If it were possible, I would probably give this about three and a half stars, which is a bit on the low side considering the high esteem in which I hold Keillor. The fact of the matter is that the individual tracks on this CD collection vary quite a bit in terms of content and style, and while some were hilarious, such as the humorous anecdotes and literary parodies, other parts were baffling or just plain depressing.

I recently majored in English, and I can certainly relate to most of his Engli
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
I was disappointed that several of the bits had only a tenuous link to language or literature, seemingly included only to make the collection a marketable length. Still, there are gems. The opening sketch with Keillor and Dave Barry is highly entertaining, and the Shakespeare bits are among the strongest -- at least in the opinion of this English major.
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
In typical, self-deprecating style, Garrison Keillor makes fun of my chosen major and profession. You don't have to be an English Major to laugh at this, but it helps. Some of the humor is pretty exclusive to understanding texts, criticism and, well, English-majorism, but the majority of this is just good humor.
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, audio
This audio book is a mixture of some really funny skits and some others that leave me wondering how they made the cut. But still, it’s Garrison Keillor, so how can you not want to listen to it? Just don’t expect Keillor at his best, because this isn’t it. A great topic for comedy, this rendition of English Majors gets a B-minus.
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Twenty-0ne different tracks - almost like essays. Really enjoyed some (the first one with Dave Barry, For Whom?) and enjoyed some less. Glad I experienced it. Not a huge PHC fan but I have always liked listening to Keillor. Two CD's - listened to one and saved the second one as a bird in the hand.
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tidbits
A very minor investment of time, so I can't feel too cheated, but I was expecting more laughs. This collection of vignettes from A Prairie Home Companion touted itself as being for the highly literate fast food worker (i.e., English majors). There were funny parts, but not enough. Some of it was pretty dumb. Also, Roy Blount Jr. had a track, and since I reserve a special ire for him, Keillor and crew should consider themselves lucky that I listened at all.
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2010
This collection didn't live up to its full potential, but it was still very entertaining. Keillor's Guy Noir and Lake Wobegon were amusing as always. I've definitely heard better abridged Shakespeare routines, but Mister Rogers as Macbeth was real genius. My favorite pieces were "The Lanyard" and "Family Man," which admittedly didn't have much to do with English. Not a bad way to pass 2 hours though, and I do love when a man knows how to wield "whom."
Jennifer Navarrete
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
All English majors and those who love us should listen to this compilations. There were sections that made me literally laugh out loud (10-minute Macbeth, 6-minute Hamlet, the tale of the burger joint English major, Guy Noir). Then there were other sections that really just seemed like filler. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy them; they just seemed misplaced under the title.
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun to listen to with your sweetie while knitting (me) and leathercraft ( him) on a dark, rainy, cold. January Sunday afternoon in NW PA My favorite story was the last. Helen Marie was a cousing I think I knew. The Scarlett Letter was also a hoot.
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a treat. Highlights for me: the 6-minute Hamlet. Billy Collins doing ANYTHING.

Additional highlights from disc 2: Kerouac. Calvin Trillin. Garrison doing a Lake Wobegon piece.

This was a quick listen, and entirely enjoyable.
Leslie Ann
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun but uneven collection of skits, most of them related to books and/or writers. My favorite bits were the Ten-Minute Macbeth featuring Mr. Rogers and Julia Child, and Garrison Keillor playing a English major fast-food worker who corrects the grammar of customers.
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very funny collection of skits from Keillor's Prarie Home radio shows. Highlights include The Lanyard, Six-Minute Hamlet, The Scarlet Letter, For Whom and English Majors. These include Keillors friends Dave Barry, Billy Collins, Calvin Trillin and Meryl Streep. Worth the listening time.
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was great...
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
the front lines of sensibility, know disillusionment as voted for democrats, humor and dumbness, do chickens have boogers, dogs in poetry cats in prose, who and whom.
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Great for car trips.
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Enjoyable and quick. No heavy lifting. Just what I needed.
Rachel Craig
May 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to finish this book, but the audiobook version of this from the library WOULD NOT stop skipping. This was rather disappointing :(
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite humorist and each tale from Lake Wobegon is fun and causes me to laugh. Give me more.
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this a great deal. Garrison Keillor is a favorite of mine.
The Lanyard was my favorite piece.
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-books
I laughed out loud.
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Too funny! As a prospective English major, I found this all very light and interesting :)
Daniel Currie
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Not the best collection I've heard from APHC. There is some funny stuff, of course, but a bit too many not-so-funny tracks included, in my opinion.
Oct 15, 2012
John Arfwedson
Jun 27, 2010
Mar 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker.
More about Garrison Keillor...