Start by marking “Blackfern Girls” as Want to Read:
Blackfern Girls

Blackfern Girls

Girlhood is hard. Surviving it in the strange wilderness of Blackfern County is a challenge like no other. Elizabeth Yon’s Blackfern Girls entices with parlor tricks, whispers of abandonment, and tempts innocence to desperate measures, revealing the lethal dangers of coming of age in a place where reality shivers and changes like a theatre scrim.

In “The Undertakers,” Fran
Published October 20th 2014 by Bannerwing Books

To ask other readers questions about Blackfern Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackfern Girls

Start your review of Blackfern Girls
Melki
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Something bad was happening here, and I felt cold prickles walk over my skin.

The above sentence was taken from the first story in this collection, but it could easily apply to the rest of the tales. Here are brave girls and young women, thrust into eerie and unexpected situations, confronted by extraordinary circumstances. Whatever will become of these daring lasses?

Don't worry.

description

Yon's writing is simply beautiful, and her shimmery stories are as dark and delicious as their forest setting.
Andra Watkins
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Haunting tales are great any time, and Elizabeth Yon delivers a creepy, well-crafted collection. Blackfern Girls and the Johns Woods seeped into my subconscious. I dreamed about some of the characters, and I wasn't ready to move on when the stories ended. Ms. Yon takes snapshots with her words. I saw and heard the characters. I smelled and touched the settings. I even tasted the honey. Her words are evocative and rich, and they're slathered on spooky backdrops. I hope she will come back to these ...more
Cameron Garriepy
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indies
I had the privilege of reading an ARC of this book prior to release.

It takes a special kind of storytelling to allow a reader to fall in love with a deadly, haunted place, and that it exactly what happened when I stepped inside Elizabeth Yon's Johns Woods, the backdrop for all four stories in Blackfern Girls.

Ms. Yon has a distinct talent for lifting the veil between the world we know and what we cannot see, what is tangible and that which lurks in the corner of our eye. What her very human chara
Roxanne
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Something I love to do occasionally is read a book without any preparation. I like to admire the cover, take in the title, and then start reading at the first page. I don't read the back, or reviews, or the short synopsis on GoodReads or Amazon. I know nothing of what I'll find between the covers, and it's an adventure in reading.

When I started reading Blackfern Girls by Elizabeth Yon, I didn't know what to expect from the stories from Blackfern County. I had seen the cover, and that was enough
Kir
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
At first glance, I’m not the target audience for a collection full of supernatural and spooky stories. But that is the magic of Yon’s writing because from the first paragraph I was lulled and my imagination was ignited by her beautiful imagery and lush descriptions of everything found in the world of Blackfern Girls.

The author never disappoints in bringing her characters to life, in all their embroiled twisted-ness and she leaves the reader wanting more at the end of each story. You are spooked,
Mandy Dawson
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In Blackfern Girls by Elizabeth Yon, four chilling short stories weave in and around Blackfern County, playing with the hopes, dreams, and nightmares of four young women.

I was privileged to read an ARC of this collection. I started it after dinner one evening and stayed up until after midnight to finish it. Her writing is rich and decadent like the best chococalte, enticing me to sink into her world. Before I could get too comfortable, she took me on a ride through the Johns Woods with death and
Michael Carnell
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I have been an Elizabeth Yon fan ever since I read her short story in the compilation Echoes in Darkness. Now she has a book out all her own, and it is an atmospheric feast. Blackfern Girls stands as a testament to Yon’s ability to create a world which surrounds you in total macabre believability. As you read the four stories that make up this collection, you are drawn into the characters, the stories, and the overall feel of what is going on in this haunted rural area.

The delectable stories in
Lisa
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, disturbing, touching. This is a beautifully written collection of short stories that will make you look carefully through the fog and the woods from now on. I made the silly mistake of starting to read it in the middle of the night (when I had insomnia) and loved every goose bump, but it didn't help me sleep. LOL!
Makenzy
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Blackfern Girls, by Elizabeth Yon is a perfectly spooky book to kick off the fall. I most loved Yon's expertly crafted descriptions used to set her scenes and introduce her characters. Without being too verbose (a personal pet peeve), she sets the scene that is both lovely and spooky- a rare gift. These stories are very unique and stick with the reader long after the book is closed.
Renee McKinley
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Elizabeth's writing. I find myself mesmerized by her weaving of words. Each person and place comes to life, I can see, hear, and yes, even smell the scene.

I'm a fan of paranormal and horror. These tales are lovely balance of the two.
Kathy Floyd
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Scary!

I didn't know what to expect because I usually don't like to read short stories, but I did enjoy these.
Janet
Jul 11, 2016
Skye
Dec 29, 2016
K
rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2016
Ruth Leonard
Oct 20, 2014
Sebastian Malloy
Dec 02, 2014
Liz Zimmers (writing as Elizabeth Yon) is the author of Wilderness: A Collection of Dark Tales, and Blackfern Girls. She lives in Bedford County, Pennsylvania. Her short story, Love Apples, is included in Bannerwing Books' collection Echoes in Darkness. Her short stories Queen and Knave; and Lake Effect are included in the second and third editions of Precipice: The Literary Anthology of Write On ...more

News & Interviews