Start by marking “Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird” as Want to Read:
Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird

Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird

In this beautiful follow-up to Our Garden Birds, Our Songbirds and Our Woodland Birds, street artist Matt Sewell captures the world’s most evocative bird: the owl. In his much-loved pop-art watercolours and accompanied with his whimsical descriptions, Matt Sewell expresses the individual characters of owls as never before.

From tiny Elf Owls to huge Eagle Owls, from the mys
Published November 13th 2014 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Owls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owls

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Capture by Kathryn LaskyHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingWesley the Owl by Stacey O'BrienThe Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear
Owls
162 books — 70 voters
Kingbird Highway by Kenn KaufmanLiving on the Wind by Scott WeidensaulAlex & Me by Irene M. PepperbergThe Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJongOwls by Matt Sewell
Birds and Birding
108 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird
Miranda Reads
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardcover
description

CLICK HERE for a Booktube Video about:

Ten Fabulous Book Reviews and One That Will Make You Go - doesn't that belong to Miranda Reads?

Now that you know this one made the list check the video review to see the rest (and find the stolen surprise)!
The Written Review
description
Absolutely adorable - loved it from cover to cover!

This book was fabulous!

Matt Sewell goes through all of the owl breeds scattered throughout the world and provides little snippets into their species.

His off-the-cuff humor was
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread for group challenge

www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

This is the cutest little book. The drawings are so sweet and the little bits of information and whit from the author are very interesting! I didn't know there were that many owl species, although I'm sure there are a lot more than listed in this book!

I'm going to add a picture of one of the owls in the book, then a few different real owl pictures and some facts from the book about that owl

Above is the Northern Saw-Whet Owl from
Trish
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found out about this book after another little illustrated treasure was recommended to me a few days ago. It's a little book that doesn't hold a wealth of scientific information (which is also due to the fact that it is for children, mostly) but it gives a nice overview over where certain owl types live and what they are known for (lore or physical trades).

The great thing about this book, however, are the charming illustrations. Lovely throughout and certainly displaying an owl's physical appe
Auntie Terror
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbyhorse
An absolutely adorable book. This is not so much a classic owl-spotters' field-guide but a collection of wonderful drawings of various members of the owl family accompanied by short descriptive texts and the odd interesting side-fact. I have a new favourite owl after reading this.
Sue
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short introduction to the owl world is highlighted by truly wonderful watercolor illustrations of each of the owls discussed. There are more than I imagined existed, not being a birder at all. But who doesn't like looking at the face of an owl!

Amid the whimsical (some might say occasionally sophomoric) humor, there are interesting facts about the world of owls, their physiology and anatomy and hunting habits. Each is located geographically and compared to its brethren.

At first I was unsure
Mary
I LOVE owls!! Quite obsessed with the little winged creatures. When I saw this book offered on Blogging for Books I couldn't believe my good fortune. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to snag a beautiful copy. Not disappointed either. It's such an adorable book for all ages. Artist Matt Sewell does an amazing job of bringing each owl species alive in vibrant watercolors. From Woodland Owls, Tropical Owls, Wilderness Owls to Desert Owls, who knew there were so many different varieties?! This charmin ...more
Preeti
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, art, birds
As I started reading this book, the first thing I wondered was who it's intended for. Kids? Adults? Birders? Owl people? Halfway through, I determined it's a fairly large audience, but definitely not for kids. I think it's probably best as an intro to owls, or as a fun, non-scientific book for owl lovers.

The best part was, of course, the illustrations. These are all watercolor paintings of different owls and they're quite lovely. The drawings are paired with short, mostly whimsical descriptions.
Jessica
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, own
Utterly charming! I picked this up in the equally charming Bookies bookstore in Denver, and knew I had to buy it!

Lovely watercolors of owls (definitely our most charming bird!) are coupled with the name of each owl, both common and Latin, and a brief description of their habitat and habits. This is by no means a scientific book, however. Facts about the owls include which ones appear to be judging you for wearing that jacket again, and which are the cutest. A must have for owl enthusiasts!
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, nature, art
I have kind of mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the watercolours of the owls were lovely, just what I was hoping for. However I went into this expecting to learn more about owls, but most of the text that went along with the pictures was mixed. Some included facts, but as the book progressed most were kind of jokey descriptions of how the owls act or look.

I will probably check out his other books on birds, but I wouldn't rush to recommend this to anyone except people who really love cute
Laurel Bradshaw
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, birds, owls
Not the large picture-book I was expecting, this is about the size of your tablet. It could be consumed in little over an hour, but I chose to savor it a few pages at a time. Each owl is given a watercolor portrait on one page with accompanying description on the facing page. I'm not sure I would call owls charming, but it is exactly the right description of this book. The writing is succinct and humorous, and you may pick up a few facts about owls along the way. Here is the author's description ...more
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and enchanting. I had no idea there were so many different types of owls.
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This original and lighthearted book would find a welcome home on the shelf of anyone who loves birds, or anyone who likes the off-beat.

Matt Sewell has produced an amusing gem of a book with quirky watercolor pictures and tongue-in-cheek descriptions of several of the world's owl species. Of the Great Gray Owl, he says "with a head like a geodesic dome inhabited by a bunch of strung out hippies, the Great Gray Owl looks like he's been hanging out with these guys for some time." And the Eurasian P
Chelsey
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
This review is based on an ARC copy provided by NetGalley.

The illustrations are whimsical and cute, but the descriptive snippets about each owl are very inconsistent. Some of them are fairly informative, but others are these weird anthropomorphic metaphors that don't seem to fit with the rest. Most of the snippets though were short descriptions of how the owl looks, which is completely redundant when placed next to a picture of the bird.

Very nice watercolor illustrations, but no real informatio
Kassandra
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: owl lovers
4 stars. This book is so cute! Each page featured adorable artwork of a certain kind of owl along with a short paragraph introducing the bird to the reader. It's not your sit-down-and-read kind of book, but it's a lot of fun to flip through. It really is darling. If you know someone who loves owls, this would be the perfect gift!

I was sent a copy of this book from BloggingForBooks in exchange for an honest review.
Megan (ReadingRover)
This book is absolutely amazing!!! The illustrations are fabulous and there are also tons of useful and accurate descriptions of the owls. I'm a wildlife rehabilitator and I work with owls all the time so this book is a tiny little gem for me. The painted illustrations are really what make the book though. The only downside is that there aren't nearly enough owls included! Particularly the Screech Owl!!! Matt Sewell where is my Screech Owl?!? But seriously there is nothing I can really complain ...more
Christie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful and enjoyable little book for any owl lover! The watercolor illustrations were my favorite part. I appreciated the author's often humorous and poetic descriptions/personifications of each owl, however, I did not "agree" with his personal views of some of them. For example, on page 106 he describes the Great Horned Owl as "demonic", whereas I would describe this great creature as majestic or perhaps fierce. I would have also enjoyed a few more scientific facts, but overall this was a ...more
Alexandra
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nature
Wonderful illustrations but I would have loved the texts to be more like little stories or "fun;facts" instead of scientific facts mixed with talking about the English name of the owl.
Sarah Knope
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
S’cute and great artwork. I love owls.
Rebecca
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful little book
Shayna
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet book! The illustrations are beautiful and delicate, the accompany text both charming and funny. Even if I wasn't biased towards the subject matter I think I'd still have enjoyed it. There's just something captivating about flipping through each page, admiring the art and learning a little tidbit about each species (and getting a laugh out of most pages, too.)
C Wharton
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was easy and enjoyable to read, and made me want to learn more about these fascinating creatures. Each page is very neat and succinct without a long, laborious description of each specimen.

I thought that the illustrations made this book even more informative, and you could imagine each owl flying from tree to tree. I absolutely loved the illustration on page 13, it is eye catching and stunning.

I would definitely recommend this book to any avid animal lovers, or to anyone who likes a r
Vera Godley
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts: In Owls Our Most Charming Bird by Matt Sewell there is a charming array of these nocturnal birds of prey. The book is a sort-of spot-on treatise on the individual owls with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor. The illustrations are quirky and factual. Folks, let’s think “Audubon with a sense of humor.”

Frankly, I really like the book and learned quite a bit about these birds both large and small. I had no way of knowing prior to this little book that there was such a variety of these bird
Jo
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
As someone who was intrigued by owls from my first primary school visits to nature centers where we made rough - very rough - drawings of a beautiful Barn owl, to learning about the ‘Pueo’ in Kauai and how the Hawaiians see them as containing the spirits of our ancestors watching over us, owls have always held a special place in my heart, and when I came upon this as an library ebook, I hurriedly pressed that ‘borrow’ button.

My first thought was, “Wow”, these watercolors are amazing, my second
Amy
I've always loved the sounds of owls in the night. When we moved into our home on the island, the first week I saw a barn owl coast across our yard at dusk, ghostly white against the darkening sky. I'd hear the "who cooks for you" of a barred own call and know they were nearby. I've seen great horned owls perched up in the live oaks in the back yard, near the lake; once, even a group of three watched me sleepily from a branch as I pushed my kayak out onto the water. The last few years we were th ...more
Milliebot
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is friggen adorable! I grabbed it because I love owls and the art style caught my eye. I really didn't look at it in the store, other than to confirm each owl had it's own lovely illustration.

Reading the descriptions of the owls, I found there's quite a bit of humor! Sewell talks a bit about where each species can be found, or any special traits, but he does so with a good dose of comedy.

For example:

This description of the Short-Eared Owl - "Caught in the sunny daytime after she has b
Mazzou B
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Need we say any more bout this book? If you love owls, and think they are ''our most charming bird'', then needless to say, you will be delighted with this small book by Matt Sewell! This little guide to owls gives a friendly look at a number of the species. Each type of owl is highlighted by a lovely, delicate watercolor by author and illustrator Matt Sewell. Among the fifty species presented in this book are the Eurasian Pygmy owl, the Great Gray Owl, the Screech Owl, and Barn Owl. This book w ...more
Hayden
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A cute little book with charming illustrations, although a little inconsistent. Each owl has a short little snippet. Some are informative and factual, and some give very little fact information and instead focus on some sort of lore surrounding the specific owl or even (at times) contemplative rambling. Despite appearances, it's not a kid's book, but rather more of a novelty gift book for adults.

I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
Patrick McGrady
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was.... cute. This was a short book about a lot of different species of owls. Unfortunately, there was only a small blurb about each owl, and even that was mostly dad jokes. I did appreciate the artistic renderings however. They were .... cute.

This book probably shouldn't be used by aspiring ornithologists to start their owl research but would make a great present for your 8 year old niece. I am sure she would find it very.... cute.
DJL
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute and brief introduction to a lot of owl species. To be honest, I didn't even realize there were that many owls found in tropical climates, though I shouldn't be surprised. They are such adorable and sometimes majestic birds of prey. The trait that really drew me to this title were the watercolor renditions of the discussed species.
Jenni Schell
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
This was a lovely book. The illustrations were fantastic. I am a huge lover of Owls and this satisfied my love immensely.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Do Less: The Unexpected Strategy for Women to Get More of What They Want in Work and Life
  • Math Curse
  • The Last Stand of the New York Institute (The Bane Chronicles, #9)
  • Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale (The Bane Chronicles, #3)
  • The Course of True Love [and First Dates] (The Bane Chronicles, #10)
  • O Mundo Perdido (Fantasmas do Mercado das Sombras, #9)
  • Para Sempre Caídos (Fantasmas do Mercado das Sombras, #10)
  • The Runaway Queen (The Bane Chronicles, #2)
  • The Voicemail of Magnus Bane (The Bane Chronicles, #11)
  • The Fall of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #7)
  • The Rise of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #5)
  • Saving Raphael Santiago (The Bane Chronicles, #6)
  • Jocelyn's Story
  • What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything (The Bane Chronicles, #8)
  • Queen of the Owls
  • Voyage to the Bunny Planet (Voyage to the Bunny Planet, #1-3 Plus Intro)
  • أسئلة وتساؤلات
Artist and illustrator Matt Sewell has been described as the Banksy of the bird world. Matt works in a variety of media including T-shirts, posters, interiors, sculptures and walls. He has illustrated for the Guardian and Barbour, amongst many others; painted underpasses for the RSPB; and exhibited in London, Manchester, New York, Tokyo and Paris, as well as being an avid ornithologist and regular ...more

News & Interviews

“To be honest, owls aren’t the brightest of birds, amazing as they are; parrots and crows are much smarter. It’s all in the eyes: those magnificent piercing optics are what make all owls look like they are deep in concentrated scrutiny and steeped in long-lost knowledge.” 1 likes