Start by marking “A Vintage Wedding” as Want to Read:
A Vintage Wedding

A Vintage Wedding

In a small Cotswold country town, Beth, Lindy and Rachel are looking for new beginnings.
So they set up in business, organising stylish and perfectly affordable vintage weddings.
Soon they are busy arranging other people's Big Days.
What none of them know is that their own romances lie waiting, just around the corner ...
Published February 12th 2015 by Century (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Vintage Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vintage Wedding

Lise
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I normally like Katie Fforde's books, but not this one. I think the problem lies, for me, in two elements: too many leading ladies, and too much sex too soon.

Having three main characters, all having love interests, means that none of them get the attention they deserve. The characters were very thinly portrayed, with very little characterisation. I didn't even remember what they looked like, other than the fact Beth's short hair kept getting mentioned.

Also, the love interests got together with t
Angie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Katie Fforde is the perfect author to read when you feel down or when you just want something light, happy, and funny. Vintage Wedding is no exception! Love the emphasis on friendship and how it can truly enrich and even change lives. While the characters are sweet, attractive, & quirky, morality isn't their strong suit. (No descriptive love scenes or anything, though, at all). They seem to give into their carnal desires rather quickly, but are sweet and fun to read about. I enjoyed my time ...more
Dale Harcombe
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you can suspend disbelief right from the beginning, you should enjoy this light-hearted tale set in the Cotswolds. There women quickly form a friendship. One of them Beth is left to inexpensively organise her sister’s Helena’s wedding. This sparks an idea and the three women, Beth, Lindy and Rachel, are inspired to set up a business organising weddings on the cheap using among other things, vintage clothes. Rachel, has OCD and a passion for painting everything white. Teaming up with Beth, als ...more
Verity W
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
***Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****

This isn't my favourite of Katie Fforde's books, but it is still a really fun and romantic read. I really like the premise and for the most part it works really well (once I'd got past my initial irritation with the character of Rachel!) but there were a few things that just didn't work for me as well as they could have done. I also felt a little bit like there were a couple of lose ends left at the end in a couple of the subplot. Still it
Mimi
Aug 19, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm DNFing this one at 21%. I didn't like it, and it has been in limbo since june 5 (it is now august 19...).
Not only was the Dutch translation awful (not as in incorrect, but in the choice of words. It felt old-maiden like. I'm not sure whether the original text has the same problem, and frankly, I don't care, because I won't be reading it.

What else bothered me? Well, if you care to check, I hardly post updates when reading. I posted 6 lenghty comments on this one...

I'm recapping them here in r
Nicola Clough
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so brilliant had me hooked straight away and didn't want it to end at all. Very well written with very realistic characters and the countryside sounds so idlic and full of friendship, romance, families and starting a new business with friends. Worth far more than five stars and very enjoyable read.
There are three woman Beth rachel and Lindy and they all live in a small Cotswold town and want to make something of their lives but how do they manage. They decide to set up a business o
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a huge Katie Fforde fan, I would love to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone, for a review copy of this book. This is my honest review.

Beth, has just moved into the village, and has agreed to help her sister organise her wedding, so its more like sister Helena's vision and not their controlling mother's. Beth also believes there is nothing you can't learn from youtube, and has a whole range of skills, especially when it comes to computers.

Rachel has also just moved into the villa
Z
Jul 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit, crap, read-2017
Beth, Lindy and Rachel set up 'Vintage Weddings' when they're thrown together and decide to start working on organising weddings for people.

In truth I read this because I was so far behind in my Goodreads Challenge and wanted a 'quick read'. As you can probably tell with me taking a month to read it, it didn't quite work out that way. Why you ask? Well let's make a list.

- one dimensional characters
- a healthy dollop of insta-love
- people changing their opinion on whether or not they're in love i
Gineke
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Donna Irwin
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved Katie Fforde's new book. Feisty heroines, romantic heroes, happy endings - just what I needed. Got so fond of Lindy, Beth and Rachael, and the image of Raff as Mr Darcy will endure! A definite 5 star read for me.
Rachel Cotterill
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015, romance
Prototypical Fforde: fluffy, sweet and uplifting. Lovely.
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

Katie Fforde is one of my favourite chic lit authors. I enjoy her books so much I will often just buy the book without reading a single review because I know I will love it. I know her storylines are light and fluffy but they are perfect escapism after some of my darker books.

A Vintage Wedding is set in a small town in the Cotswolds. Beth has recently moved to the town and attends a meeting to save the town hall. There she is introduced to single mum Lindy and divorce
Andy
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
2 stars for my first (and probably last) Katie Fforde book. I liked the idea of the story and of the characters but the execution was not ideal for me.

While the romances were sometimes quite cute, I never really bought into the friendship between Lindy, Rachel and Beth that was supposed to be the focal point. Yes, they did sometimes talk about their love lives but it always felt rushed with none of them actually talking about their past other than the facts, like "I'm divorced" or "I have child
Kim
Shelves: 2015, kindle, net-galley
Beth, Lindy and Rachel meet and set up a Vintage Wedding company, initially because Beth's sister needs to organise a wedding on a budget and the other 2 are roped in to sharing skills and ideas. When they are asked to organise a wedding for a local girl, they imagine they will be able to practice their organisational and creative skills and also help the village.

I loved the way they transformed the village hall and planned the other wedding venue. Everyone they met seemed to be someone who coul
Jo
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one from Katie Fforde - one of my favourite authors. Loved the storyline and the country feel. Would like to see what The Vintage Wedding Company does next.
Emma Crowley
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Katie Fforde is back with what is incredibly her 21st novel. Katie’s books are a welcome breath of fresh air and a nice easy read with some lovely messages at their centre. I found the last one or two didn’t hold my interest and they had become a bit run of the mill but I am pleased to say with the release of A Vintage Wedding for me the author is back on form and I found this book refreshing, entertaining, heart-warming and a joy to read. Each book explores a different profession and it is clea ...more
Mandy
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wanted pure escapism and Katie Fforde delivers again. Three loveable characters in an idyllic Cotswolds village make you dream of a country lifestyle with heartache and eccentricity. Such fun!!!’
Steph Hayward-bailey
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another romantic comedy with interesting characters and enjoyable plot. I always enjoy Katie Fforde's writing and this book did not disappoint. A nice easy read.
Joanne D'Arcy
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Single mum Lindy is living in a Cotswold village near her parents and grandmother trying to bring up her two young sons the best that she can.

Beth is staying in an empty holiday let for the winter. Having dropped out of university, she really has not much to keep her there the only thing she is doing is avoiding her mother.

Rachel was a "weekender", using her cottage in the village as a second home. Divorce has meant she can now live here permanently but can she find happiness when everything in
Suze Lavender
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beth has promised to organize her sister's wedding and has plenty of work to do. She's just moved into Chippingford where she's hoping to make a fresh start. She meets Lindy, a single mother who can sew really well. Lindy loves her children, but could use a good friend. Rachel owns a house in the village, where she now lives permanently on her own, and when she meets Beth and Lindy there's an instant click. They're all looking for extra work, so decide to set up a wedding business specialized in ...more
Esme
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Katie Fforde's books are comfy and light. This one was no exception. But it was also bland. There's very little in the way of plot and there's not much characterization. I loved Rachel, however, and her obsession with getting details just right. So wevet. Also Raff was pretty great. I think her OCD cleared up too easily, and I would have liked more space devoted to her. And Lindy and Beth? Too much insta-love!

Beth's love interests and plot line were very annoying. (view spoiler)
Jill's Book Cafe
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Katy Fforde is back and this time the theme is wedding planning.

Beth, has just moved into Chippingford, when she is asked by her sister Helen to arrange her wedding to avoid their overbearing Mother taking charge. The problem is Helen has virtually no money and Beth has no experience. Luckily at her first village event she meets Rachel (another newcomer) and Lindy who has lived in the village all her life. The meeting in the lack lustre village hall results in them all being involved in the camp
Michelle
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a modern day romance set in a country village in England. There are 3 main women characters Rachel, Beth and Lindy who after meeting each other instantly hit it off and become friends and soon after business partners when they decide to become wedding planners and set up a business called Vintage Weddings.

This is a fluffy light hearted read and along the way Rachel, Beth and Lindy become more confident, fall in love (and lust!) and their friendship and business grows.

In the beginning I
Tracey
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read every one of Katie's books and adored this one.Three ladies brought together by a wedding and a village hall. They start a business, have ups and downs, loves and losts, smiles and tears.This is one of those books where you want to live in that village and join in all the fun.
Robyn Smith
I felt a little let down by this book. I found the whole plot rather contrived, particularly the friendship of the three young women, so perfect and artificial.
Perhaps Katie Fforde's formula is wearing out, which would be a pity as I usually find her books light and refreshing.
Karen Whittard
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another lovely book from Katie Fforde. I always find Katie's books so wonderful to escape into. This one was no different. This book is beautifully written, heart warming and uplifting. I fell in love with this book right from the start a wonderful book everyone should read. ☺ ...more
Claire mcmanus
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
took me a while to get into but once I did really enjoyed
Agi
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
"The Vintage Wedding" is Katie Fforde's 21st novel. 21st! Lucky number. As soon as it came to my notice that this book is going to be released in February, I was desperate to grab a copy for myself. I loved the premise of this book, and I loved the cover of it as well, it is just beautiful, so gorgeous and so... yes, vintage! And knowing that all Katie's book are so heart - warming and so beautifully written, in this inimitable Katie's gentle writing style, I started to read it as soon as it arr ...more
Alison
Following what appears to be a trend in the Katie Fforde books I have read, this is about three young women, brought together by a village hall meeting, who, despite their differences become friends and start a wedding planning business.

Beth is currently between jobs, an ebay expert, she has escaped her mother's domineering ways by moving to small village in the Cotswolds, she has agreed to organise her sister's wedding on the cheap because her sister has spent the money their mother gave her fo
Linniegayl
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beth, Lindy, and Rachel meet accidentally at a raffle in the small Cotwald town where they all live. Lindy, a single mother with two young boys, is a longtime resident of the village, while Beth and Rachel have recently moved there. All three are at a bit of loose ends as to their futures, and within a short period become friends and form a small business Vintage Weddings to organize weddings in the area.

I enjoyed the book, but had to suspend disbelief repeatedly over the coincidences that resul
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Show (Swell Valley #2)
  • Changing Grooms: An irresistible novel of glamour and scandal
  • Wish Upon A Star
  • Bestemd voor mij
  • Don't Tell the Groom
  • The Winter Wedding
  • Honeycote (Honeycote, #1)
  • Love & Dr. Devon
Catherine Rose Gordon-Cumming was born 27 September 1952 in England, UK, the daughter of Shirley Barbara Laub and Michael Willoughby Gordon-Cumming. Her grandfather was Sir William Gordon-Cumming. Her sister is fellow writer Jane Gordon-Cumming. Katie married Desmond Fforde, cousin of the also writer Jasper Fforde. She has three children: Guy, Francis and Briony and didn't start writing until afte ...more