Start by marking “Extracts From: The Second Sex” as Want to Read:
Extracts From: The Second Sex

Extracts From: The Second Sex

Vintage Feminism: classic feminist texts in short form

When this book was first published in 1949 it was to outrage and scandal. Never before had the case for female liberty been so forcefully and successfully argued. De Beauvoir’s belief that ‘One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman’ switched on light bulbs in the heads of a generation of women and began a fight for
Paperback, Vintage Feminism Short Edition, 120 pages
Published March 5th 2015 by Vintage Classics (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Extracts From, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extracts From

Start your review of Extracts From: The Second Sex
Amal Bedhyefi
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well , Let me tell you this from the beginning , this was not an easy read for me.
These extracts are mainly composed of the original book's introduction, conclusion and Chapter 14 : The Independent Woman .
It took me almost a week to try and grasp the majority of her thoughts as I am , unfortunately , unfamiliar with the historical references and most of the philosophers mentioned .
Although this book was written nearly 70 years ago , there are many aspects of Simone de Beauvoir's analysis that
Amy
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a gift to the world SDB has been. Such concise brillant reflections. I should have read this 20 years ago.
Tanya
May 17, 2019 added it
This edition of The Second Sex is just a little collection of extracts from the original work and, now that I'm more familiar with Beauvoir’s way of thinking (and writing), I'm sure I'll pick up the full version of The Second Sex very soon.

In this little book you'll find the introduction to Beauvoir’s most famous work and the important points of her theory. I found myself agreeing to much of what she was saying.
Simone de Beauvoir was an extremely intelligent (and sometimes very sarcastic)
Risha
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Will definitely get my hands on the full version.
Stephanie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Definitely going to read the entire text at some point. Her thoughts and observations about the female-male relationship are mind blowing.
Annika
This is the shortened version of Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex. With this work, De Beauvoir, can be labeled as one of the pioneers of feminism, even before Friedan or Lorde.

My MA dissertation theoretical framework has been born. Yay.

A quote I really liked regarding the fact that women are often shamed for having sex whereas men are not:

It is understood that the male has integrated the forces of the species into his individuality, whereas the woman is the slave of the species. She is
Abantika(hiltonjenkin)
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, feminist
Thought provoking and amazing. Influence of Marx and Foucault is evident in her writing. Just bought the complete novel!
Ylenia
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This edition is just a little collection of extracts from the original work and, now that I'm more familiar with her line of thinking, I'm sure I'll pick up the full version of The Second Sex.

In this little book you'll find the introduction to her work and the most important points of her theory. I found myself agreeing to much of what she was saying.
Simone de Beauvoir was an extremely intelligent (and sometimes very sarcastic) woman, who had a lot to say - and a beautiful way to say it, too.

Mehmed Gokcel
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second sex, the other, the object, the oppressed... Women have lived a historical destiny that consistently placed them in a position of inferiority to the extent that it got assumed the norm. Simone de Beauvoir's challenge to this paradigm comes from a very realist position of an acknowledgement of 'what is' and pushing to suggest 'what ought to be.' The 'controversial' suggestion she makes is to merely see woman as a subject, a human being and as a complete individual... Outrageous, right?
Larissa
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5*

Certain paragraphs were very interesting, and putting it into historical perspective makes this very impressive, but this was REALLY HARD to read. Almost two months to read 93 pages is not okay (I wasn't reading the entire two months, don't be afraid).
Chantal
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute lil' intro into de de Beauvoir's feminism and philosophy. Excellent personal introduction added by Natalie Haynes. <3
Connie
Dec 29, 2015 added it
Collecting 3 chapters from Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex, my edition of this book includes the key passages from the original text (which is over 600 pages), a text which, once published, inspired and changed the thought process of many women. Another classic feminist text, I decided to read this as my second book of the 2016 Classics Challenge, held by Stacey/prettybooks.

WHEN I Discovered This Classic

I discovered this classic in Year 11 of Secondary school. We were studying the second
Cami Go
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
Simone De Beauvoir was ahead of her time in so many things. She thought equality as a must, as a way of living that had been suppressed from humanity since the beginning.
The reason why i took half star out on this rating is because, i know this were other times, but she thought of herself as the most progressive and accepting being. And, even when she was progressive, she wasnt as accepting. I feel like she couldn't understand the fact that the male of that time had been raised with that
Jessica Summers
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Can be a bit difficult to read but very informative. It is interesting to see how much has changed but also what hasn't changed scince 1949. Sometimes his book made me really annoyed and other times I really connected to it because Simone de Beauvoir has articulated things that I had thought but never put into words before. Because she writes with such authority sometimes it is difficult to distinguish what is an observation and what is her internal belief.
A must read because it is such an
Lea Dokter
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although some of de Beauvoir's observations (thankfully) are not wholly applicable anymore 69 years after The Second Sex's original publication, it nevertheless remains a vital piece of feminist writing. De Beauvoir's accurate, razor-sharp and often cynical rhetoric serve the purpose of this book well.
Clare
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good introduction to the complexity of de Beauvoir's work and the insightfulness and, unfortunately, the relevance of it even today.
Eleni Antoniou
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking. Troubling.
Kayla
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I loved this honestly. The language in this one is much easier to understand due to it being written in 1949 and not the 1700s. Simone pegs almost every single thing that is wrong with patriarchy in society and all of this is horrifyingly still present in today's society. Moving from Mary Wollstonecraft's ideas, Simone is much more forward-thinking in regards to sexual relations and women. She is much more open and really nails how different and unfair the thinking between men and women are in ...more
Gregory  Hunt
The Second Sex, even in this short version, is unrelentingly enlightening. It isn't enlightening in a profound or philosophical sense which much of philosophy caters, it is enlightening in a human sense, a social sense. It reaffirms the belief that change can be brought. It is practical philosophy.
You are changed after reading this. Whether you choose to stay changed or revert back to your old ways is up to you, but know that once this is read, a sane and reasonable person will like to stay
Leah Rachel von Essen
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I’m so thrilled that I finally got the chance to read Excerpts from The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir. I expected it to be more difficult to read, more dense, but found it remarkably accessible—and unsurprisingly, brilliant.

"So not every female human being is necessarily a woman; she must take part in this mysterious and endangered reality known as femininity. Is femininity secreted by the ovaries? Is it enshrined in a Platonic heaven? Is a frilly petticoat enough to bring it down to earth?”
Gilly-Bean
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, nonfiction
This is a collection of extracts from The Second Sex written by Simone De Beauvoir in 1949. I have marked so many pages, as always, I have found many interesting and inspiring lines. When I started reading this book I had mixed feelings about it: sometimes I felt inspired by her witty and brilliant writing style and other times it put me down. Maybe because the topic is really deep and unfortunately still a current issue. I can feel her anger through the lines and I totally understand it. Also, ...more
Iris Storm
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
It was an interesting read. It made me think about how my experiences are out from how see sees the world at that time. But I most be honest I wasn't very focused in the end, because I wanted to finished it today before giving it back to my friend.

I felt it to be bit of a hard read, since it is a very angrily written and the author has poured out her feelings into it, which in my opinion made it so you need to focused while reading (which seems weird to say, but I just mean that it is not a
Cherith
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism
A good introduction to what is a massive treatise on feminism. I'm glad I read this little pamphlet before embarking on the much bigger task of reading the entire text (for pleasure, I might add!). The overall tone and much of the content doesn't ring true for me. I think I'll move on to other prominent texts on women and feminism.
Jumana | جمانة
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I've heard a lot about The Second Sex and ended up picking this books which only contains extracts of it. Honestly, now I think it was better to have such introduction before indulging into the book itself. I can't as of yet share my opinion in regard to it. I either need a second read or a thorough read of the whole book.
Dosia
I can imagine how radical the ideas presented by de Beauvoir were back in the day. Some excerpts really resonated with me. Still I glimpsed period typical homo- and transphobia. It put me off a bit.
I'm not sure if I want to spend my time reading the unabridged version. Probably not. It just didn't age well enough.
Tori
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminist-power
I can see the value of this text and how groundbreaking it was for its time, but that doesn’t help me when its density makes it hard to press on... I suck at nonfiction. I can’t even imagine how I could read the unabridged version. Yikes.
Aabha sharma
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism, nonfiction
Wow wow wow. I’m all riled up. There’s a lot to unpack here. I feel like I just went to town with my highlighter on this one. I think I need to read this book whole. This was just the introduction, chapter 14 and the conclusion. I feel like I need to reread immediately.
Christine
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't agree with a lot of things said in this book (or extracts from this book) but it is really fascinating to see how women's studies started and how far we have come in the discourse!
Teresa Silva
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need to read the full thing. Full of insights my brain hasn’t quite captured yet.
Emma
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this to get a flavour of The Second Sex, and I'm very impressed! Thought-provoking and well-written, in a no-apologies style - need to try and read the full 800-pager if I ever get the chance!

• The Beauty Myth
  • The Suffragettes
  • Alte weiße Männer: Ein Schlichtungsversuch
  • Liberty: Vintage Minis
  • The Female Eunuch
  • The Doctor and the Saint: Caste, Race, and Annihilation of Caste, the Debate Between B.R. Ambedkar and M.K. Gandhi
  • Nan Goldin: The Ballad of Sexual Dependency
  • Å dykke etter sjøhester
  • Women & Power: A Manifesto
  • How to Read Beauvoir
  • You Ought To Know Adam Wade
Simone de Beauvoir was a French author and philosopher. She wrote novels, monographs on philosophy, political and social issues, essays, biographies, and an autobiography. She is now best known for her metaphysical novels, including "She Came to Stay" and "The Mandarins", and for her 1949 treatise "The Second Sex", a detailed analysis of women's oppression and a foundational tract of contemporary ...more