Start by marking “Slug Needs a Hug” as Want to Read:
Slug Needs a Hug

Slug Needs a Hug

When it begins to bug slug that his mummy doesnt hug him, he leaves home to find out why. Kitten suggests he should be furrier, so he puts on a woolly hat, while Bird suggests he needs a beak. Soon, Slug has a new look, will his mummy hug him now? ...more
Published April 2nd 2015 by Andersen

To ask other readers questions about Slug Needs a Hug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slug Needs a Hug

Start your review of Slug Needs a Hug
Brenda Lower
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Made me stop and read it out loud to my staff at the library. The Rhyming is a bit forced in places, but made me laugh. A lot.
Kimberly
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A rollicking rhyme describes Slug's attempts to become cuter so his mom will want to give him a hug. As Slug is taking advice from a variety of animals, however, the results are pretty hilarious.
Jasmine
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
The cute tale of a slug trying to make himself cuter, so his mum will hug him. But it turns out the issue wasn't his cuteness all along, but something more prosaic.

""You're beautiful and charming, If I could, I'd hug you, Darling!" But alas she had no arms, and so... they kissed!"
Kendra
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent rhymes and adorable story. Poor slug just wants a hug!
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

A goofy, silly, funny story about a slug who just wants a hug. A great message about love and acceptance. The story flows nicely and the catchy rhyme scheme makes it a calming book to read over and over again. This would make a great bedtime story.

Nice illustrations, by the end of his travels, slug really does look quiet silly.

A very good book filled with fun.
Kris Dersch
I found myself liking this one in spite of myself because...in all honesty, it's not a great book. The premise is dumb, the rhyme doesn't scan well in places, it's just not a great book. But it's hilarious and fun to read aloud and made me smile and I liked it more than I care to admit.
Poor little Slug just wants a hug from his mama and doesn't understand why he never gets one. All the other animals make suggestions that he tries to follow. A bit silly, this entertaining book will make kids laugh.
Megan Ledbetter
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This story about a slug wanting a hug from his Mum, he asks a number of animals what he needs to make his mum want to hug. This book is great for teaching children rhyme because it is clear for the children to hear. Also has a clear message about love.
Amy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Great rhyming words and a silly story about a slug desperate for a hug make this a perfect read-aloud for early elementary school kids.

A good fit with Hugless Douglas by David Mellig and Mother Mother I Want Another by Maria Polushkin Robbins.
Britt
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The rhymes in this really work, and I love me a good rhyming picture book. The illustrations got muddy in the middle, I thought, but they worked. In the end, super cute.
Joseph Hobdell
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant rhyming book which inspired me to try and write my own story.

Interesting manned this book to anyone with young children or teachers of Ks1.
Kelly
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book about just being yourself and paying attention!
a fun read
Mary
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It is lyrical, funny, and so cute. The illustration are great as well. I plan to read this aloud to 4-7 y/o.
Dancingsocks
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A deeply inspiring story of identity and the facades we present to the world. And what makes us huggable.
Heather
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Cute illustrations, but I liked Daft Bat by this same author/illustrator pair better.
Christina Reid
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute story about self-acceptance and familial love.
Peacegal
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute, reassuring, and well, sticky book about a slug who just wants a hug! There's a message of parental love as well as of being yourself.
Amanda Brooke
This would be a great first grade read aloud for introducing creature features.
Liz Todd
Love the rhythm of this book. Great message, fun read.
Adam Nickson
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scarlett aged 6 *****

Poppy aged 4 ******
Vivian
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Slug REALLY WANTS a hug from mom and comes to the conclusion that "she is never snuggly because I am so ugly". His animal friends cat, bird, pig, goat, moth, fox, and cow are anxious to suggest beauty enhancements slug can make to attract a mommy hug. A ridiculous looking slug returns to Mom who rears back in alarm at the sight. She assures that slug is loved "just as you are", that hugs are out for armless slugs and gives a kiss instead.

The story, told in whimsical verse, is at once charged
Arielle
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
gorgeous with wonderfully musical rhyming.
Laura McLoughlin
Honestly, not sure how I felt about this book. I was a bit bothered that this poor slug child thought his mother didn't want to hug him because he wasn't cute enough (and not for the obvious reason that slugs do not have arms, making hugging very difficult). The slug's desire to become cuter by asking the other animals' advice was very silly. And the resolution (and getting around the previously mentioned no arm problem) were nice.

I may be overthinking this book...
Samantha
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I used this book for a Year 1 reading observation. It is fantastic for helping develop phonemic awareness. The phonetically similar words, reading pattern and links between the illustrations and story are very good for helping K-3 reading development. The story is also fantastic for reading for pleasure. The moral underlay that you do not need to change to please people makes a great story time lesson.
I loved it, my student loved it, all round great book!
Sharon Allen
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute idea. Something about the child worrying that his mom wouldn't hug him because he was too ugly bothered me. There were so many pages dedicated to the slug's worry and the feedback other animals give on what is necessary to be lovable, which builds a lot of tension, but the resolution is one page. I really wanted to emphasize the unconditional love part for my kiddo. That said, he reviewed the book as, "I like it."
Julie
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great picture book for young kids, featuring tight rhyme and meter, a fun story and delightful twist at the end. Gorgeous illustrations too. This winning author/illustrator team strikes again.
Koala Books 2015
Courtney Huskisson
Had such a promising title -- but the flow of the book was a lot muddier to get through. However, I did enjoy the purpose of the book and it reminded me a lot of a classic I loved as a kid titled, "The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings".
Adrienne
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
So adorable. Why won't Sluggy's mom give him a hug? (Spoiler alert: it has something to do with the anatomy of a slug!) Hilarious and fun; includes different animals who suggest what Sluggy might do to make himself more lovable and therefore, more huggable.
Erin TimminsLibrary
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
The classes (SK/JK & Grade 1/2) loved this book! They really enjoyed the silliness of the slug dressing up in various features to get a kiss. The illustrations and narrative are a perfect blend and make this story a great read-aloud!
Michael
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm totally in love with this book.

• Over and Under the Snow
  • The Storm Whale
  • Pig the Pug
  • Cat Secrets
  • DUCK!
  • A Crash of Rhinos: and other wild animal groups
  • When I Grow Up
  • How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)
  • You Must Bring a Hat
  • The Short Giraffe
  • The Day the Crayons Came Home
  • Kicking a Ball
  • Snowboy and the Last Tree Standing
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
  • Monster Academy
  • Stuck
  • Dog on a Frog?
  • I Will Take a Nap! (Elephant & Piggie, #23)
Jeanne Willis was born in St Albans and trained as an advertising copywriter at Watford College. She worked for various agencies creating press adverts and TV, cinema and radio commercials. She is now a full-time writer and has published over 80 books. Her hobbies include gardening, reading (non-fiction), natural history and collecting caterpillars. Jeanne has also worked on scripts for TV, ...more