Start by marking “Disclaimer” as Want to Read:
Disclaimer

Read Excerpt

Disclaimer

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  22,166 ratings  ·  2,804 reviews
WHAT IF YOU REALIZED THE TERRIFYING BOOK YOU WERE READING WAS ALL ABOUT YOU?

A BRILLIANTLY CONCEIVED, DEEPLY DISTURBING PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER ABOUT A WOMAN HAUNTED BY SECRETS - AND THE PRICE SHE WILL PAY FOR CONCEALING THE TRUTH

When a mysterious novel appears at Catherine Ravenscroft's bedside, she is curious. She has no idea who might have sent her The Perfect Stranger -
Published April 9th 2015 by Doubleday (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Disclaimer, please sign up.
Karen Crawford
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  22,166 ratings  ·  2,804 reviews

Start your review of Disclaimer
Carol
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debut
If you trust me at all, then trust me on this one. Take a chance and read it.

Disclaimer It took me awhile to get into this. I had almost given up, but then…

From the reviews I’m reading I liked Disclaimer more than some.

The Hook - The blurb - ”What if you realized the terrifying book you were reading was all about you?” Come on now, isn’t that enough to reel you in?

The Line”All I felt was soft filth, and it got into my skin and under my fingernails, and its stink invaded my nostrils,
Richard
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers-uk
With a couple of reservations, I found Disclaimer by Renée Knight to be well written, engrossing and quite chilling.
Catherine, a documentary film maker is given a book. She is extremely disturbed to find that the book’s leading character is herself!
Many years ago a terrible incident occurred - an incident that Catherine has never come to terms with, has buried and tried to erase. The book brings the poison flooding back and threatens to destroy her.
The story is told mainly through two
Blair
I'm learning to be less bothered about hype. I've said over and over again that most of the hyped and praised and 'hotly anticipated' books I've read this year have been thoroughly mediocre, and yet only recently has it occurred to me that of course they are: it's mediocre books that sell the most. Hype still gets to me, I easily get caught up in the must-read-this-first excitement, but I no longer expect it to actually mean a truly great book.

Disclaimer is a classic case in point - a
Emma
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another psychological thriller that's good enough, but not great.

I liked the unsettling premise of picking up a book in which your darkest secret is laid bare. For those of us who read a lot, it is exactly the kind of 'what if' that hits closest to home. I spend a lot of time wishing I was in certain books, but on reflection, am pretty happy i'm not, especially in the starring role. My turbulent past can stay there, thank you very much.

Beyond that, Knight does well with the trials and
Michelle
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-w-mars
This book surprised me in a good way. I'll admit I wasn't so sure in the beginning. I found the first 1/4 of this book a little confusing. Once I was able to get into the flow of the novel it really did become a page turner. Keep in mind that you will need to suspend your disbelief nearly throughout but if you can then it will make for a satisfying read if you like tricky psychological thrillers. And the ending, while maybe a bit over the top, was completely entertaining. This would make for an ...more
Diane S ☔
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Psychological twisty. Fast paced, the revelations keep coming and even when I was sold on one theory, another presented itself. A very good suspense filled story, one where it tales a while to like any of these characters, not too sure if I ever did but it didn't seem to matter. A few graphic sex scenes. Didn't see the ending coming, total surprise which I have to admit I appreciated.
Jennifer Masterson
Disclaimer is a great debut novel! Not only is it a psychological thriller, but it is a thought provoking story about two families told from different points of view with really great character development! This story shows how the main character, Catherine, has a past that comes back to haunt her and destroy the life that she knows. I wavered between 4 and 5 Stars throughout. The very beginning, being a 4 because it took me a little while to get into the story, but once I caught on it became ...more
Andrew Smith
I've mentioned several times before that I'm not normally keen on stories set in ‘Blighty’ - just too close to home. The settings remind me of work and the prevailing weather is normally dismal too. Two things that hit the wrong note for me from the get go. So the London setting of this debut novel from a former film documentary maker had ground to make up from the start.

However, it did kick off in interesting fashion with Catherine Ravenscroft (also a film documentary maker) finding a book
Michael
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mother and her child on holidays in Spain. A young man in the same holiday resort, a terrible incident and misunderstanding that will tear two families apart.

Catherine Ravenscroft has a seemingly happy life. Married to Robert, with a young adult son and a successful film-maker, she is content with how things are going. But when Catherine discovers an unfamiliar book at her bedside entitled, The Perfect Stranger she is shocked by what is written. The book will force her to relive an
Kelli
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: Results not typical.

Do I even need to say it? Apparently 2015 is to be the year that most popular books will fail to leave me wowed. Perhaps I'm reading too many within the same genre. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I suppose the why of it doesn't matter. What it amounts to is that my normal existence as a reader happily reading and loving the bestsellers is now marked by moments of self-doubt and slight bewilderment.

This book, Disclaimer, was okay. The pacing was too slow for my
Liz Barnsley
I loved this atmospheric, beautifully written novel, a real page turner and an intriguing and often twisty plot with some terrifically well drawn characters.

2015 is turning into another great year for books, most especially debuts and this one is definitely going to be somewhere near the top of the favourites list come the end of the year – I was totally absorbed into the story and loved the emotion of it as much as the mystery element. A tale of two halves as we follow along with Catherine, who
David Reviews
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer doesn’t disappoint. It’s very cleverly written and will grip you, then surprise with unexpected twists. I was lost in this excellent thriller and couldn’t put it down.

Catherine and Stephen have a good life and stable marriage, but all that is about to change. Their son Nicholas has recently moved out and although he hasn’t achieved all they hoped, he seems stable and happy in his work. It’s then that Catherine reads a book which mysteriously appears on the bedside of their new home.
Ester
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2010s
I would have otherwise rated this as a mediocre 2-3 star thriller, decent enough to pass a summer day but nothing special. Then came (view spoiler)
Izzy
DNFed @ 54%

The story is centered around a mysterious book the main character — Catherine (I'd forgotten her name) — finds in her home. Even though she doesn't remember buying it, she's just moved to a new place and figures it was probably something that'd gotten lost in the midst of her things before. She starts reading it, and horrified she discovers that the story is actually about a secret she thought would never see the light of day; a secret only she and someone dead for the past 20 years
Catherine
The hype surrounding this book's release has been insane, and the subsequent rave reviews seem to be everywhere, which makes me wonder - am I the only person in the world who was totally underwhelmed by this book? There have been lots of comparisons made to Gone Girl (and equally lots of people claiming that it's nothing like Gone Girl). I fall firmly into the former camp - this book IS like Gone Girl in the sense that I had absolutely no interest or sympathy for the characters whatsoever.

I've
Mark Rubinstein
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Catherine, a successful film-maker, is intrigued when she mysteriously receives a book entitled The Perfect Stranger. But as she reads the novel, she's horrified to read about a specific day in her own life--one that occurred 20 years earlier--which she's tried valiantly to forget. How could anyone know what happened that day? The only other person who truly knows is long dead. She's desperate to learn the identity of the author, and what he or she wants.

Intertwined with Catherine's narrative,
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
I read this book..............
I 'thought' I wrote a review --- (isn't the first time the the ghost buster ate them) -- but 'thanks' go to Maureen for the reminder today! :)

I can't remember what I rated it --(I 'think' I might have rated it 'less' than 4 stars --- 3.5 maybe?

Either way --there are tons of other reviews.

Lilith Black
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come soon.
Susan
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Catherine Ravenscroft is a person who seems to have an almost charmed life, when we first meet her in this novel. She is married to husband Robert and both of them have a successful and high status career – Robert in law and Catherine in television documentaries. They have one grown son, Nicholas, who has not quite lived up the expectations they wanted for him; but he has moved out and is living an independent life. So, Catherine in 2013 is a respected and loved woman, who has recently moved ...more
Maria
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrado a duas vozes Pura Coincidência dá-nos a conhecer os dois lados da mesma história. A história por quem a viveu e a história de quem a imaginou e a passou para o papel.
À medida que a história vai avançando vamos conhecendo cada vez mais as características tanto de Catherine como do autor, ou melhor, produtor do livro, Stephen, o que torna o livro ainda mais interessante. O facto de ter poucas personagens vamos esmiuçando ainda melhor as fragilidades de cada uma delas. Confesso que não
Malia
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
DISCLAIMER is a truly engaging debut by Renee Knight, and a psychological thriller I will not soon forget. The story seems at first very simple, Catherine receives a book, which recounts a story she is all too familiar with - her own. As the story unfolds, we are told what happens through multiple POVs, which i always enjoy when it is done well, as it is here. It quickly becomes clear, that not all is as it seemed initially, and that the dubious book serves as the catalyst for some major ...more
Ken
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cathrine discovers an intriguing novel on her bedside table but is soon horrified to learn that she is one of the key characters.

The initial concept peaked my interest, but I found it slightly frustrated as was left waiting for clues.
I was invested enough to want know the conclusion though.
Carrie
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I was frustrated with this book. I just wanted it to get to whatever it was that was at stake. Once it did, it was a really good read. A few parts dragged, and I found myself getting restless again, but then it picked back up, and during the last quarter of the book I couldn't put it down.

Definitely a psychological thriller, and one that will keep you guessing until the end. Though the reader will see some things coming, other things they won't, and that's what makes these types of
Cleopatra  Pullen
I’m going to start this review with a bold statement – this book will make my top ten reads of 2015. Yes it was so good that I can’t see me coming across ten other books that will beat this one.

So what’s it about? Well as with any book that depends on the reader not knowing very much before they start to appreciate the story, I can’t tell you very much! I can tell you that our chief protagonist, Catherine Ravenscroft has just moved house to a new apartment with her husband Robert when she comes
Z.Jeena
Disclaimer was my first step into the entirely unventured-before world of fictitious psychlogical thrillers (for me). The story was absolutely stupefying. It was ugly, disgusting and it creeped me out in so many places that I almost felt sick.
I still read it though, because it was all these nerve wracking elements that made me love this book because of how much I hated it too.
The descriptions were extremely vivid; this work of fiction just about came to life before my eyes and well...it wasn't
Mafi
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Catherine para mim foi uma óptima protagonista, vítima de um esquema montado para tramá-la, onde todas as provas apontam para si, onde não há argumentos em sua defesa, mas que nos deixa sempre em dúvida se o que é nos contado no livro será a verdade.
A autora soube equilibrar bem o mistério mas chega a uma certa parte em que já não dá para aguentar mais a curiosidade, queremos saber mesmo se tudo o que aconteceu é apenas imaginação de alguém extremamente vil ou uma pura coincidência de factos e
Telma Oliveira
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este livro é narrado por uma mulher e por um homem e nas primeiras páginas parece que eles não tem nada em comum, o que me deixou um pouco desnorteada sem perceber absolutamente nada!
Quando a historia começa a se desenrolar e começamos a perceber aquilo que ambos escondem é impossível parar de ler!
Adorei o facto de a historia parecer previsível e de repente uma reviravolta!
As personagens para mim foram o melhor da história. Não as consigo catalogar como a pessoa que agiu mal ou a que agiu bem,
Bill Kupersmith
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Some of my most trusted Goodreads friends gave high marks to Disclaimer & I truly was pleased when we chose it for the Kindle English Mystery group read for April. But tho’ it held my attention to the very end, a sinking feeling kept growing that there would be no big twist - that the cliched ending I’d feared would turn out to be it. But an all too predictable backstory is not the book’s principal artistic flaw. Rather it’s the basic conception. Although Catherine Revenscroft’s secret ...more
Janet
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Thank you to the author, publisher and Netgalley for the much appreciated copy of the book.

This is a debut by Renee Knight, which I found to be an ok read. It's the story of Catherine, a tv documentary filmaker, who finds a book on her nightstand and starts to read. A few chapters in and she realises that the book is mirroring events from her past which she had painstakingly managed to bury a long time ago.

In comes Stephen, a retired teacher, who is the author of the book and seems hellbent on
karen
call the structural engineers

this has a really strong premise, but it's poorly executed and once i started my review, the things that bothered me became even more glaring, so i'm changing my earlier charitable 3 stars to 2. sorry. i think i've mentioned before how a star (rating) is born, karen-style. every book starts out a 4-star book in my mind, and as i read, stars either attach or fall off. it's a process i half-acknowledge during the read before i make my final call. this became a 3 pretty
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: two-star
Yet another mediocre quasi thriller tagging along with the success of 'Gone Girl'. I should have learnt my lesson last time, nonetheless I decided this book had an interesting - if a bit unbelievable - premise.

The book begins pleasing enough, when Catherine comes across a book left in her house, she begins to read and discovers it is HER story. Someone has documented what happened and dormant secrets are about to become unearthed.

I struggled to familiarise myself with the tone and pace of this
Maria Lavrador
Gostei mas não foi uma paixão. Suponho que estava à espera de mais. Uma história contada de duas prospectivas diferentes e em dois momentos diferentes. Tinha pernas para andar mas para mim, não foi suficiente para me prender muito a atenção
Christine
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
To be published in April 2015

Disclaimer starts with an interesting and rather unusual premise. A forty-something happily married woman, Catherine, finds a book in her house. She starts reading it and slowly begins to see that it is all about her and her secret past. The author is a retired teacher, who is on a mission to make Catherine pay for the past and to ruin her life. Catherine and the teacher, Stephen become obsessed with each other. What has Catherine been hiding?

The book was at its
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
This is Catherine's story. And if there is a moral to it, it is this: Don't make assumptions based on what you don't actually know.

Catherine, wife of Robert, and at times reluctant mother of Nick, carries a crippling secret from her past.

Stephen Brigstocke, husband of now deceased author Nancy, and father of Jonathon who died saving the life of Catherine's son, thinks he knows what that secret is, and thinks he owes it to both his late wife and son to make it public knowledge.

Catherine says she
Kate
4.5*
*Read through Scribd Audio*

Catherine's life is turned upside down when she recognises herself in a book that was mysteriously sent to her. The book, 'The Perfect Stranger', chronicles a dark secret from her past, one that she wants to remain hidden.

Stephen is an elderly gentleman who seems to be hell bent on ruining Catherine's life, enacting revenge for a tragedy that happened many years ago. He's responsible for publishing the book but this is only part of his plan and he's going to ensure
Xana
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sabem quando acabam um livro e não sabem como o classificar? É assim que me sinto...
As primeiras 60/70 páginas do livro foram um problema... Estava completamente perdida, não estava a entender nada e a achar que ia ser uma seca total!!!
Até que há uma reviravolta e aí... agarrou-me completamente.
Eu me confesso, adormeço de livro na mão, e ando sempre cheia de sono!! Ontem estive até à 1h a ler... não conseguia parar! Só não o acabei porque hoje tinha de me levantar cedo...
Adorei, seriam justas
Filipa
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um livro misterioso...
Catherine é uma mulher feliz quer no casamento quer no trabalho.
É uma mulher confiante que consegue tudo o que quer.
O marido é um homem também bem sucedido e devoto à sua mulher.
Têm um filho.
Um filho que está agora a dar os primeiros passos em relação à sua independência.
Catherine também se mudou de casa com o marido e a casa encontra-se cheia de caixas por abrir e arrumar.
Caixas com alguns livros...
Numa noite, Catherine vai para a cama e pega num livro que está na mesa de
William Koon
Jul 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer could have been one of the best novels of the year. It does start with an outrageous plot device. A middle aged woman finds a book in her own house and she is a character in the book! Oh, my God! Is someone calling the babysitter, too? From inside the house?

Renee Knight then gets down to some serious business with multiple time lines and multiple characters as she fishes for the next Gone Girl. It’s not immediately obvious what she is doing, but she does weave some interesting themes
Judy Collins
British scriptwriter Renee Knight’s cleverly crafted debut, DISCLAIMER is a twisted, dark and chilling psychological suspense which brings new meaning to “red herring” and “domestic suburban noir.” What an excellent cover depicting the true nature of the novel.

Let me start off by saying, this is one addictive book which grabs your attention! You will sit up and take notice. I listened to the audio version, with a number of distractions. (A lot of rewinding) Like what in the heck just happened?
Tempo de Ler
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Não sendo um daqueles thrillers enervantes em que o anseio de chegar ao final é quase insuportável, "Pura Coincidência" envolveu-me completamente no seu enredo, levando-me a procurar a verdade por entre mentiras, falsas intenções, desejo de vingança e alguma demência.

A premissa de alguém perceber que é protagonista do livro que está a ler no momento, ainda para mais quando esse mesmo livro revela um terrível segredo do passado e deixa no ar uma ameaça, é suficiente para nos levar a desenvolver
Miguel
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resenha-sqf
5. É esta a pontuação que atribuo a este romance de estreia da britânica Renée Knight, que antes de se dedicar exclusivamente à escrita, realizava documentários para a BBC. A profissão que a jovem escritora de 55 anos exerceu durante vários anos é a mesma que decidiu atribuir a Catherine, a protagonista deste thriller psicológico.
2013. Catherine e Robert são um casal que vive em Londres e que têm uma vida e um casamento estável e, aparentemente, feliz. Mas este cenário idílico muda quando é
Karen
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Catherine and Robert Ravenscroft have a lifestyle which outsiders would envy. They both have successful careers – Robert is a lawyer whilst Catherine makes TV documentaries about the nastier side of life. They have just moved house, their son, 25 year Nicholas lives in a flat share. His life has not really been the success that his parents hoped for but at least he has a job and some resemblance of independent living. However what others see and the actual family dynamics are not always the ...more
Anna
Rating: 4.5 stars

Retired widower Stephen has finally decided to sort through his beloved late wife's things. Hidden in an old handbag he finds a shocking set of photos, and a similarly hidden key leads him to a locked drawer in his wife's desk which contains an equally shocking manuscript detailing the most traumatic time in their lives. Fuelled by a renewed torment that gives way to an eerie calmness, Stephen publishes the manuscript and sends a copy to a woman he's never met before, with the
Amelia Strydom
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beginning: 3.5 stars. Middle: 2 stars. Last 20%: 5 stars. Sometimes you've gotta wait for it...
I rarely give up on a book I'm not enjoying. My stubbornness frustrates me: life is short and reading time limited and there are so many books out there to choose from, stories and writing voices better suited to my reading taste. Why can't I simply decide, once and for all, that abandoning a book I am struggling with doesn't make me a irredeemably character-flawed quitter?
Disclaimer answered this

• Believe Me
  • La detective miope
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Ice Twins
  • Violet
  • Ögonvittnet (Morden i Lerviken, #1)
  • Sista färjan från Ystad
  • I See You
  • Девочка и мертвецы
  • The One That Got Away
  • The Perfect Girlfriend
  • La Sirena Roja (Chassereau y Macua, #1)
  • The Lodger
  • I Let You Go
Renée Knight worked for the BBC directing arts documentaries before turning to writing. She has had TV and film scripts commissioned by the BBC, Channel Four and Capital Films. In April 2013 she graduated from the Faber Academy ‘Writing a Novel’ course. She lives in London with her husband and two children. ~ Transworld Publishers
“The act of keeping the secret a secret has almost become bigger than the secret itself.” 15 likes
“There weren't as many layers between her and the world as there were with the rest of us.” 10 likes