Start by marking “The Changeling (The Changeling, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Changeling (The Changeling, #1)

The Changeling

(The Changeling #1)

Some of us are born to be magic.

Aoife is an ordinary teenager, hanging out with her childhood friend Carla, putting up with school. The worst she has to contend with is that the boy of Carlas dreams is trying to get off with her instead.

Published June 4th 2015 by Corgi Childrens (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Changeling, please sign up.
Angelina You can request this book on NetGalley, but then you would have to write a review to give the publishers some feedback for it.…moreYou can request this book on NetGalley, but then you would have to write a review to give the publishers some feedback for it. (less)

Start your review of The Changeling (The Changeling, #1)
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well done and enjoyable.
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

The Changeling offers compelling writing, a complex story and an engaging main character. Aoife the nickname of Eva is an ordinary teenager who likes texting with her BFF Carla, chatting about boys and doing all the things ordinary teens do. But when one of her friends, Sinead, invites her to the movies, en route Aoife sees a little girl hopping between the trees. She goes out to look for her, along with Carla, but
Kate Kerrigan
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hand ups - I know the author. Hand-on-heart> THIS is a BRILLIANT book. Somewhere between YA and children's - as an adult - I found it to be a really compelling read. Set between the stunning, mystical west of Ireland landscape and the ancient mythical world of fairies - when it comes to fast plotting, original setting and a new, magical world - The Changeling (first of a trilogy - hooray) spanks any of the big dystopian series out before it. Dark and seductive - teenage girls will love Shay ...more
Kayla/Michaela (mindcrazed)
LOVED THIS BOOK! Plusses were Aoife, Shay and the fact that they're in Ireland!
FULL REVIEW HERE: https://mindcrazed.wordpress.com/2015...
Sabrina Wannet
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-also-own
It was an amazing book. It was like hearing an irish person tell you the tale. I loved this story from the moment it had started. It starts with a girl that is a bit different then others and one day she is seeing a little girl. From that moment all changes and she will find out who or rather what she is.
Tânia
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Its impossible not to fall in love with the magic sceneries of The Changeling. Ireland is a beautiful country and Helen Falconer describes it perfectly. And the fairy world was certainly a paradise. More gorgeous sceneries! And magical and interesting creatures. And the research the author did about the fairies was very good. I always like to read about the different kind of fairies.

I cant say I liked the fairies which lived in the paradise. Ultan was very likeable, but Caitlin was just
Una
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Declaration of internest: Helen Falconer is good friend and this trilogy is dedicated to my daughter Alana. That said, The Changeling is wonderful - dramatic, exciting, really well drawn characters who come alive from the first page. Aoife is a lovely, typical Irish teenage girl with normal worries - friends, boyfriends, clothes... and Shay, the boy who helps her when she sees the little girl on the hill, is the perfect teenage love interest. The relationships between the main characters are ...more
Lisa Williams
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars an amazing read. Read it in a day because it was so captivating. Loved the characters and the world created. I was a nice twist on a classic story. I loved the folklore and how it all combined together to make the story. The cover is also beautiful.
Victoria Alyesa
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Fairy, Changelings, Fairy world and set in Ireland.....I loved the sound of it so much that I brought the book there and then.....several months ago. As much as I really like this book and nearly cried at the ending, it took such a long time for the writing to get gripping and for the story to progress. The story itself only started to progress from normal to storyline half way through; amd even then It did not get to any faster pace until the last 30% of the book.

The writing itself was a slow
Hattie
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
At first I really loved it, the setting was slightly spooky, the folklore realistic and the idea really intriguing - ahh!! But... I have to admit... as the book drew on I found myself enjoying it less and less... Shay was cool, but a little cliche (not that I minded much... I'm a sucker for brooding heroes...) but the romance seemed a little forced and once they got to faerieland I found it less haunting and more annoying and ... cheap? I'm not quite sure how to explain it. The climax itself was ...more
Oseremen A.
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5
I had read this book before, but was disappointed the second time around. It has a nice story concept (I'm all for a good Irish mythology) but it honestly just felt too rushed and underdeveloped. I finished the book with a sense of confusion, and I won't be reading the next.
Would recommend for people who just want to do a bit of light reading.
Jennie Pound
Missy
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing captivating book that brings you to a whole new world there is fantasy romance everything read this book and keep reading till the end because there are so many great moment through this book xx
Uk52usa
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book based on a good review from an another author I like. Now that I've finished it, I found it mediocre. I don't think I would read anything by this author again.
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The beginning was great, I was so hooked but after that it was just very slow. Also I found the story quite confusing at parts.
Amy Thomas
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: 2.5 - 3
Ari Carr
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Not too bad! Didn't wow me, but it wasn't terrible either, but perhaps over long. I wish there'd been more fairies in it!
Mrs Craig
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very gripping at times
Alma

*I received an eARC from the publishers via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This didn't influence my opinion in any way

Wow, The Changeling completely took me by surprise! As you may know, Im Irish, and I usually approach books set in Ireland with an unhealthy dose of apprehension. I have this terrible reflex that ignites my overly critical side, and I firmly blame by English and Irish classes from back in my school days. Being forced to read books that I had very little interest in
Angelina
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-netgalley
***I received the eBook free as a review copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***

A book that definitely kept me reading. (And look at that cover, it looks gorgeous!)

The Changeling is taking place in a village in Ireland called Kilduff. The 15 year old Aoife is living happily with her parents until she finds a heart-shaped gold locket with a picture of her parents and a baby. Soon she sees a little girl running on the bog that no one else can see. And that is when her life goes
Georgie
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aoife O'Connor thinks she's a normal teenager, until she sees a small child out on the bog - a child no one else sees. Then more strange things happen - she finds money out of nowhere just when she needs it, which later disappears and is replaced by dead leaves. She is unintentionally able to exert influence over people, and things like locks which she can open just by touching them. She finds a locket buried in a field behind her house, apparently with a picture of herself as a baby inside, but ...more
Rathbaner
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing

But then, after chasing a lost little girl no one seems to be able to see, Aoife starts to develop mysterious powers. Eventually her parents confess that she isnt their real daughter. Their human child was stolen by the fairies, and Aoife is the changeling left behind in her place.

Shocked and
Rosina
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Okay so I have to explain my rating here.

The good:

-A nice mix of types of fae and their world made sense. (heck yeah sidhe and selkies)
- The main character being loved by her family.
-Aoife and Carla's friendship.
-An ending that made me sob.

Now the bad:

-The sometimes clunky use of language.
-The too fast romance.
- The big bad at the end essentially popping out of thin air.
-The slow opening.
- The way some of her later friends act.
-That the timing near the end of the book started to make less sense.
Aurora
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I found out that the start of this book is a bit boring, but when I read the second book it is ok. Because of I do not read it I won't understand. Aoife is an ordinary teenager that has a kind heart, she followed a sheóg and lead Carla into a mess. She didn't accept her powers. She didn't want them, unlike others, her powers lead her to an adventure to the land of young, she is no ordinary after all.
Finn Longman
This was just SO IRISH, I loved it. So much mythology in there -- lennan sidhe and bean sidhe and changelings and Oisin (my precious child Oisin) and even the four cities of the Otherworld and ALL OF THE THINGS.

My little Irish Lit nerd heart is so happy right now.
Stefanie Stokes
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, faeries, re-read
I wasn't sure when I picked it up but apparently I have read this before. I didn't remember any of it. The story is rather jumbled and the pacing is not great.
Rianne
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
it's a great book...it isn't the best plot and the ending is quite predictable but it'd great and cute and I really liked it
Rickus Bookshelf
I absolutely loved this book! Full review over here: https://rickusbookshelf.wordpress.com...
Niamh
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was really fun and different to read a book based in Ireland, I loved it xx
Anastasia
Amazing. First book i read from a changelings perspective. Fresh, Inviting and Captivating. Loved it. Looking forward to next book.

• Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1)
  • A Skinful of Shadows
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • The Loop
  • Last Chance (Rains, #2)
  • The Rains (Rains, #1)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Upside of Falling
  • The Pure Heart
  • Hold Back the Tide
  • The Good Hawk
  • What I Thought Was True
  • The Duck Commander Family
  • Someday (Every Day, #3)
  • Hidden (Avena, #1)
  • The Key to Flambards
  • Another Day (Every Day, #2)
  • Stay Where You Are and Then Leave
See https://www.helenfalconer.com/bio
"The Story of a Strange Marriage" is not my work, I don't know why it's there and I cannot delete it. (I've tried!)

The Changeling (3 books)
  • Dark Beloved (The Changeling #2)
  • The Hawthorn Crown (The Changeling, #3)