Start by marking “Truth or Die” as Want to Read:

Truth or Die

The truth will set your free - if it doesn't kill you first

New York attorney Trevor Mann's world shatters when he receives a phone call telling him his girlfriend has been shot dead in a mugging. But the circumstances point to something more calculated than a random attack.

Claire was a New York Times journalist and Trevor is convinced she had unearthed a secret so shocking
Published May 1st 2015 by Century

To ask other readers questions about Truth or Die, please sign up.
Debby yes it is a new character. this book is not (at least so far) part of a series.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Erica Jane Nope, not gorry at all.

Gary
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
A stand alone novel by James Patterson and Howard Roughan that ticks all the boxes as far as action thrills and spills but somehow failed to keep me interested. I have read many Patterson novels, but these days I seem to have more disappointments than thrills. This book is a decent read but once you have finished it you will soon forget it. I used to eagerly await the release of any James Patterson novels but now I fear the worse every time I start one. How I wish he was still more about quality ...more
Brenda
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Claire Parker was a top New York Times journalist – she and Trevor Mann, attorney-at-law were together late one night when she received a call on the phone she used only for her sources. Her regret at having to leave Trevor was real, but he could see her excitement at what she’d heard was intense. He was convinced the story she was pursuing was a big one. And so it seemed – until the phone call notifying him of her death in a random mugging…

Slowly Trevor gathered clues – and gradually the moment
April Thompson
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Another run of the mill, push out another book for Patterson. It really pains me to give this two stars. He has such great potential.
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
Trevor Mann is a professor at Columbia Law School in New York. Soon after his girlfriend leaves him to meet an important source for an article she is doing for the New York Times, he gets a call from her sister letting him know she is dead. Trevor is determined to find out who the source was she was going to see and why it got her killed. But will he be able to find out the truth or will he die as well?

Another gripping tale from James Patterson. Yes, I know he turns out books like an assembly li
Matt
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Patterson is back with one of his co-authors, Howard Roughan this time around, to present a one-off book with much potential. Trevor Mann has suffered through some setbacks in life, but chooses to look ahead to a better future, grounded with his girlfriend Claire Parker. Claire leaves suddenly one evening to meet a source for a story she's investigating and ends up murdered by a masked assailant. Trevor cannot rest until he finds answers, beginning with whom Claire tried to meet. Trevor follows ...more
Dana Aldee
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Picked up this book on a whim after reading the first couple of pages, and oh boy have I not put it down ever since. This book captivated me. It gripped me for so long, it felt akin to watching an action packed movie. Every..Single..Chapter was better than the other, this book was done to perfection no doubt in my mind about it. I see more James Patterson books being read in my future for sure!
Monnie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
My expectations for books by James Patterson and his co-author du jour admittedly have been lowered over the past few years as a result of a few too many ho-hum entries, but overall, I usually end up enjoying them (for the most part, anyway). This one fits that description perfectly; there's nothing to stand up and cheer about, but neither is it anywhere near awful (my actual rating is 3.5 stars, BTW).

Early on, I had my doubts; I just couldn't get into it - mostly, I think, because the character
Mike French
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent one off book featuring Trevor Mann! Keeps you on the edge of your from beginning to the end. A must for all thriller fans.
Mahoghani 23
When you put together an ex-lawyer, a genius, a cop, an ex-CIA agent, the White House, a doctor and death it all equals up to trouble. Trevor Mann, an ex-lawyer now professor finds himself in a deadly situation when he seeks to find the truth concerning his girlfriend’s death. Now he’s the target and they will do anything to kill him, including killing a cop. Without knowing who to trust, Trevor is determined to get to the person behind all of the mayhem even if it kills him.

This book was so go
Melanie
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this one because I read almost every Patterson. It wasn't part of any of the regular storylines. It features a man whose girlfriend is murdered in a cab, but he quickly realizes it's not just a robbery, she was the target. He goes on the hunt to find out why and gets much deeper into a dangerous, political secret than he had expected.
This book was a quick read, as they usually are, but it wasn't my favorite. It read like a bad tv crime show, with each chapter ending in a dramatic pause,
Wendy
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truth or Die

This wasn't the best James Patterson book I've ever read but it wasn't all that bad. I couldn't really get into it when I started reading but it got better as it went on. It is definitely not a book I would read again. All and all it is just what I expect out of a James Patterson book these days, his writing is just not what it use to be.
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
Title: Truth or Die (stand alone novel)
Authors: James Patterson and Howard Roughman
Published: June, 2015
Genre: fiction, crime, murder, mystery, thriller, NYPD, legal/lawyer, political, intelligence. (VERY limited adult situations & act silly, not much swearing).

Read: June, 2015
Format: ebook via Samsung Galaxy 4 Nook (Barnes and Noble) ereader.
My GoodReads Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars.

Brief remarks:

What a very fast-paced and fast-moving novel! Great storyline with fascinating main characters. Right
Sharon Mccall
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times a severe critic of the number of books James Patterson churns out I have to say hats off for this one.

Sticking with a format that has worked for him over the years Patterson sticks a superb bait on the line hooks the reader then reels them in and manages not to leave them floundering but keeps up the pace in this fast and furious ride through more twists and turns than a roller coaster!

Trevor Mann's reporter girlfriend is killed in an attempted robbery that turns out to have been an as
Alasandra Alawine
Jul 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Great book, the best Patterson I have read in awhile.

When a boy genius (he isn't even old enough to drink) discovers that his work is being used by the CIA to torture and kill people he contacts Claire (a reporter) to get the story out. But on the way to meet Owen Claire is killed in a carjacking.

Her boyfriend Trevor Mann doesn't buy it was a random carjacking and is able to discover the address Claire was going to. To his surprise he finds the man who carjacked Claire's taxi dead in the bathtub
Linda Boyd
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Loved this!!!!
Maryann Bosah
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another story that keeps you reading right through to the end. Filled with a thrilling plot masterfully written
William
Sep 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
audio book..... this was definitely a miss for the Patterson collaboration publishing machine. It wasn't so bad to listen to, but I am writing this a dozen days after finishing it and I had to read GR's synopsis to try an recall if I had read it.
Judi
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Always read anything new by James Patterson as they always keep me interested and turning pages.

Trevor Mann is an honest lawyer. He was disbarred because he told the truth. Starting any day with his girlfriend Claire always made things better though. She was a top reporter for the New York Times and when she receives a call on her latest story, she leaves to check it out.

Claire is murdered and thus begins the adventure that Trevor begins trying to find her killer. As Trevor has access to her pho
Cheri
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed again. I love James Patterson. I thought this book was seriously lacking in story and plot. At times I felt like I was going in circles. I might add that Number 14 of the women's club was lacking also...
Is it that Patterson has let these co writers take complete over his writing? I hope not.
Mandy
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Actually 3.5 stars. Entertaining, fast-paced read. I didn't feel much of a connection to the main character, but I'm not sure I needed to really.
I do think this is a good read on the whole, but probably quite forgettable.
Dave
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Boring, another dud by Patterson and company. I have no idea what the readers that rated it five stars saw in this book. I agree with the two and three star ratings which is still generous.
Greg Courtney
Come on Patterson, write your own books. Earn that paycheck. Mr Roughan did a good job on this book. Mr Patterson will be cashing another big check.
Heather
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Eh, not the best pick for my 60th book of the year! Yay! Fast paced and kept me up late late late last night, but eh.
Paula Brandon
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Trevor Mann is shocked when his journalist girlfriend is killed in an apparent mugging. But when he searches for the last person she spoke to before her death, he realises something nefarious is going on! In fact, he's just stumbled into a conspiracy that leads all the way to the White House, and it could see him dead, too!

The problem with a James Patterson book for me is that they're generally very thin, and easy to forget, so if you put the book down for a couple of days to deal with other lif
Julie
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ugh. It was just "okay". These books that Patterson cranks out as collabs with other writers are why I've stopped reading him.
 Readaholic Jenn
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by James Patterson.
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell
As I sit in here in the minutes following the ending of this book, I can't help but wonder, "What the hell did I just read?" I'll admit, the beginning of the book was a bit of an emotional roller coaster. I found myself rolling my eyes at Trevor Mann's perfect relationship and I had an odd sense of irony creeping into my gut. After all, many of Patterson's books revolve around relationships and I had no interest in reading about yet another crime
Terri Lynn
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really love it when James Patterson writes books with Maxine Paetro or with Howard Roughan and especially stand-alone books like this one co-written with Howard Roughan. I devoured it in one day because it was so action packed and because the chapters are so short I couldn't help but read just one more.

In the beginning, a loner of a doctor is jogging as usual- a doctor who had been working with a 19 year old genius for the CIA- when CIA agents trick him and he is then murdered by them. Hello
Lori Henrich
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trevor Mann teaches at the university ever since he was disbarred. He lost his license to practice law because he didn't let followed his conscience and not the law. He did the right thing but unfortunately he isn't able to be a lawyer anymore. Claire is his the woman that he cares very deeply about. She is a report for the Times and does her job very well. When Claire gets a call in the middle of the night from one of her contacts Trevor isn't surprised. Later he finds out she was murdered on t ...more
Kathy
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Trevor's girlfriend Claire, a journalist, gets an exciting tip from a source. On her way to meeting with the source, she is killed in a random taxi robbery. Or is it so random? Trevor follows her leads, finds the source who is a 19 year old genius, and the two of them take on political persons and foreign dignitaries in a fight to bring out the truth about a recording the young man made. No one wants it made public, and will of course, kill to stop that from happening.
  • Skin Deep (Simeon Grist Mystery, #3)
  • The Lazarus Pit
  • Our Little Secret
  • Naked Greed (Stone Barrington, #34)
  • Wedding Shots
  • Last Call
  • Waking up in Vegas (Westerwald Trilogy #1)
  • Rolling The Dice
  • The Enemy Inside (Paul Madriani, #13)
  • Potboiler
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
  • The McCullagh Inn in Maine
  • Nemesis (FBI Thriller, #19)
  • Private L.A.: by James Patterson and Mark Sullivan -- Review
  • Exposed (Codename: Chandler, #0.2)
  • The Starling Project
  • Sleight of Hand (Dana Cutler, #4)
  • Cane and Abe
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo
“Suddenly, the only thing I could hear in my head was the voice of then-senator Howard Baker during the Watergate hearings, asking one of the most famous—if not the most famous—political questions of all time. What did the president know and when did he know it? Then” 1 likes
“Delusional. Like Donald Trump with a comb.” 1 likes