Start by marking “The Secrets of Sam and Sam” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of Sam and Sam

The Secrets of Sam and Sam

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Sam likes being a twin. He likes having two mums. He likes cheese sandwiches and his dog and drawing comics with his friend Pea. He does not like humous - or heights...

His twin sister Sammie likes being a twin too. She knows that she's perfect best friend material for somebody - the girls in her class just haven't realised yet. And she knows that she's the best Sam - Sam A
Published July 30th 2015 by Red Fox (first published June 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Sam and Sam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Sam and Sam

Stephanie
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-fiction
I looooooove Susie Day's books, especially her Pea's Book series, so I was incredibly excited when I found out she had written a new book about Sam & Sam, Pea's twin neighbors. (Horrifically, as fraternal twins, one boy and one girl, they were BOTH named Sam and given identical haircuts, and one of their child-psychologist mums is writing a book about the whole experience! It's a great tribute to what a fabulous writer Susie is that I find their moms so likeable and hilarious even as I REALL ...more
Ella Zegarra
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Original de: El Extraño Gato del Cuento

The Secrets of Sam and Sam tiene todo lo que el mundo actual ya está aceptando sin perder la inocencia e hilaridad de la niñez. La sinopsis no te cuenta exactamente de que va la historia y es porque en realidad no hay una historia marcada en la trama, mientras va avanzando, todo va evolucionando, lo que empieza con demostrar quién es Sam A y Sam B, termina con casas destrozadas, literalmente, y gatitos huérfanos. ¿Cómo es eso? Los que tienen hermanos pequeñ
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
So lovely and funny and warm, with that rare thing in kidlit: good parents! that they're two mums is even better. Both Sams are delightful in their own ways and make beguiling narrators.
Phiwo
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This served as a bit of very light reading to jog your brain after a long time without reading any books. The book was pleasant enough but it's really for primary school kids or if you want a book for relaxation, a book that will cause you no stress. All in all, a lovely book.
LH Johnson
I'm going to start this review by talking about another book. Stay with me, there's a reason for this.

I nominated Pea's Book of Big Dreams by Day as my pick for the Carnegie last year. The Carnegie, for those of you who don't know it, is a big and wonderful award for children's literature in the United Kingdom. One of the big bonuses about being a member of CILIP is that I get to pick a book. Pea's Book of Big Dreams was my pick for last year. I chose it because, really, it's perfect.

And I rath
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
Originally posted on Snuggling on the Sofa

I’ve only read one Susie Day book before this (though I have every intention to read more!) so I was excited to see how it went. It is also a little older than Susie’s Pea books, which suits me perfectly. The Secrets of Sam and Sam tell the stories of twins, and their mums, and their dog.

I love how Susie manages to weave the complexities of life into the story, such as having two mums, being twins, anxieties, friendship and so much more. That actually,
Luna
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
Sam and Sam, now going by Sammie have Mum K who’s writing a book about child development staring both Sam’s and Mum Gen who is very calming and therapeutic and treats people at their home. They also have a dog called Surprise. Sam is calm, ‘nice’ and worried about hummus in his sandwiches. Sammie is energetic and worried the fact that her best friend seems to have moved on. Neither twin is that sold on the description Mum K gives about them in her book.

And then there are the secrets…

What sold me
Kirsty
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fabulous read from Susie Day with lots of heart and thoughfulness challenging stereotypes and labelling. Really lovely.

I love the contrast between the twins and how their personalities break stereotypes with each twin actively encouraged to be the person they want to be without worrying about the different expectations society can put on them. Parents of young children should all be forced to read this.

I also liked the outlook this book had on family. The twins are raised by a Lesbian co
Tara
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Aimee Walters-Mabbott
I really enjoyed reading this book; it was a great way to prepare my younger sister for her residential at school. The author, Susie Day really does immerse the reader in allowing them to put themselves in the main characters, Sam and Sammie's shoes, gaining a great perspective of what it is like to be 11. Having the pleasure of meeting and having my copy of this novel signed, whilst Susie conducted a book talk on World Book Day to my Year 6 class was a great experience. She even shared her draf ...more
Fiona
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this to my 3 and 5yr old. We all enjoyed it. I was happy to have a good book where none of the characters were stereotypical. The girl Sam was hysterical, naughty and adventurous. The boy Sam was loveable, creative and very brave. My favourite bit is definitely getting over Emilyphobia.
Jasmine Anne Victoria
Jun 04, 2018
Megumi
rated it did not like it
Mar 20, 2018