Start by marking “Earth” as Want to Read:
Earth

Earth

(The Afterlife Series #3)

From the 2012 John W. Campbell Award Nominee and Two Time Parsec Award Winner

Praise for the Afterlife Series
"It’s like a Unifying Theory for all religions and mythologies, binding together diverse cosmologies into a coherent, end-of-the-world tale in which the deepest human values may not be enough to save us. Full of surprises and pointed observations about human
Podiobook
Published 2007 by Mur Lafferty

To ask other readers questions about Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth

Start your review of Earth
James
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
This feels like a transition story to be honest. Nothing much happens. Well, that's kinda unfair, lots of stuff happens I suppose, but nothing comes to any conclusion. Even in a series of stories like these, there has to be some conclusions in each story to make it a progression. Kate and Daniel are running Heaven and Hell respectively now they are gods. Kate seems to be having an easier time of it – at least her minions are being helpful and not trying to overthrow her. Daniel is struggling ...more
Darrell
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: podcasts, reviewed
Mur Lafferty's Afterlife series continues. Hobo heaven (the Big Rock Candy Mountain) was a lot of fun. I liked that Native American trickster god Coyote appears in this one. Also, Kate and Daniel find Jesus.
Chris
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Continuing this series, although losing interest. Now the characters are tasked rebuilding Earth, although with all kinds of drama. Feels like a prep story for the final.
Sienna
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I can't even finish this. It is absolutely dreadful. this is not my cup of tea
John
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The third novella in the series suffers from being in the middle of the beginning (as told in Heaven and Hell) and the end (as told in War). It also suffers from the same thing as at the beginning of Hell: another decision taken that ends up having no consequences for the protagonists, further making this feel less like a journey shaped by their actions and desires and more like a sequence of random events happening to two objects that serve to take the reader through them.

(view spoiler)
Melissa Hayden
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh heavens! What happens when a human, slated for more since the beginning inherits Heaven and Hell? Yes, things get askew. And I think it's wonderful. Well, not necessarily wonderful in the world, but for me as a reader/listener.

****FULL REVIEW****
Kate and Daniel are still coming into their powers and getting use to their new positions. But they are not both adjusting well, or easily, to what they are to do. There are troubles as well. The weather is off, which shows they don't have full
Jen Fabico
Book number 28 in my 2012 Reading Challenge of 50 books is Earth by Mur Lafferty. Earth is the third installment in Mur Lafferty's The Afterlife Series presented via podiobook format.

In Earth, Kate and Daniel explore their powers and options as the deities who are destined to rule Heaven and Hell. Gods from all different cultural afterlives gather to aid Kate and Daniel as they struggle to keep Heaven and Hell from other gods wanting to overthrow them. Within this novel, (view spoiler)
Damian Patterson
Alright, the week is at an end and I was able to burn through one more book towards my 2016 Goodread Challenge. Continuing on with Mur Lafferty’s Afterlife series I’ve just finished Earth. By finished I mean trudged through. This was a rougher read than the other two books before.

Earth is about the continuation of Kate and Daniel as they’ve replaced God and the Devil over Heaven and Hell and now have to make a new Earth. As usual with these two protagonists, there is a plethora of bumbling
Skeptigirl
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
This continued the wonderful world that Mur Lafferty started in the previous books. Very little is added to heaven but I love the imagery of hell's clerical department. I like the description of the creation of the earth. I really loved the little forays into the earth's history and how the events of heaven affected it.

Daniel was much less annoying in this than the other books. At first I was rolling my eyes at Kate for treating him like a divine faberge egg and letting him continue to be whiny
Cameron
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This series just keeps getting more and more interesting. Our main characters have been elevated to the status of gods (essentially taking over from the last gods), and each of them is trying to sort out their various positions and duties. Earth is recreated, and it's interesting to see the developments of society and people from the gods' point of view.

The dynamic between the two main characters continues to get more and more interesting as they each seek to find themselves in their new roles.
Saretta
Questo terzo volume della serie "Afterlife" non mi pare particolarmente riuscito.
Finito il viaggio in paradiso e inferno molte divinità se ne sono andate e alcune nuove sono nate; Kate e Daniel dovranno occuparsi di ricostruire la Terra (distrutta nella fine del mondo) e della nuova guerra per la gestione degli inferi.
Kate come personaggio risulta piuttosto piatto, e anche Daniel, che nel precedente volume sembrava avere consapevolezza del suo destino, qui perde ogni sicurezza.
Sotto l'aspetto
Ryan
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Middle books in a series always have a tough go of it - they often feel like a bridge, moving the storyline along to get to the conclusion, rather than offering one of their own. That's a bit of the case here.

That being said, it's still a fun read; Lafferty remains an engaging and enjoyable writer, and there are some interesting points here. I was fond of the bits in hobo heaven, especially.

And the book does its bridging job, putting pieces in place for the apocalyptic afterlife battle that is
Peyotitlan
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
The third book in the series and it goes from strength to strength.

So, they have traveled through heaven, fought their way through hell and now they had the huge task to rebuild and protect the Earth.

As with every book (that I've read) by Mur Lafferty, everything is delivered at the right time. There are two more books to go and though I can't wait to get to them, I shall wait a bit longer so I can keep it going for a bit longer.

I recommend that you look for the whole series and give it a go!
B.  Barron
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
I really liked it at first, but its end was a letdown.
Still gets a 3, but just barely.
Davis Emmanuel
Mar 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is where I checked out. I just could not get attached to the characters or the plot.

I feel bad saying it, but I kinda hated it.
Anna Heidick
Good story but depressing. I liked book 2 better than this one.
Cygnwulf
Jun 29, 2010 rated it liked it
A very intersting view of the afterlife and I've really enjoyed the book so far. I was a littl like "really? A cliffhanger?" but I got over it.
Lindsay
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2012, fiction, kindle
An interesting continuation in this series. It's always hard to pick where the storyline is going.
Connor Lamping
Apr 18, 2009
Heather
Sep 08, 2008
Tom
rated it did not like it
Apr 09, 2013

• The Walking Dead, Issue #49
  • Y: The Last Man #1
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 2: Strange Neapolitan
  • Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #2
  • Watchmen #1: At Midnight, All The Agents....
  • The Superior Spider-Man, Volume 1
  • Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #3
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us #1
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 19: Death of a Goblin
  • Nessa (Breeders, #1.1)
  • Sex Criminals #6: Coming On
  • Blood is Red
  • Shadowmagic (Shadowmagic, #1)
  • The Walking Dead, Issue #12
  • Saga, Vol. 1
  • Batman vs. The Incredible Hulk
  • Portal 2: Lab Rat
  • Ravenwood (Tanyth Fairport, #1)
Mur Lafferty is the author of Solo: A Star Wars Story and the Hugo and Nebula nominated novel Six Wakes, The Shambling Guides series, and several self pubbed novels and novellas, including the award winning Afterlife series. She is the host of the Hugo-winning podcast Ditch Diggers, and the long-running I Should Be Writing. She is the recipient of the John Campbell Award for best new writer, the ...more

The Afterlife Series (6 books)
  • Heaven
  • Hell
  • Wasteland
  • War
  • Stones (The Afterlife Series Book 6)