Start by marking “The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance” as Want to Read:
The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance

The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance

Jessica Beam is a girl who knows how to party. Only lately she's been forgetting to turn up for work on time. Or in clean clothes. Down on her luck, out of a job and homeless, Jess seeks the help of her long-lost grandmother.

Things aren't going well for Matilda Beam, either. Her 1950s Good Woman guide books are out of print, her mortgage repayments are staggering an
Published April 9th 2015 by Pan (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance

Bibi
Oct 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @1% for reasons stated in my reading notes.
Irena
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dear friends, I had A Great Time reading this book!

It feels like it's been months since I've read a chick-lit and I wasn't even aware I missed it in my life.
This book reminded me how it feels to laugh out loud while just reading. It was good to be remembered.

In this book we follow Jessica, who is a party girl with not so much obligations or the work ethic in her life. All she wants to do is party, travel and not to take things seriously, until one day, the life slaps he. She ha/>This
Pamela
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books
2.5 stars I was really looking forward to this book because of the premise - old school charm meets modern woman. Unfortunately, for me, I disliked Jess intensely for the first 97% of the book. To put it bluntly, she was RUDE, CRUDE AND LEWD! She finally got better when her grandma started coaching her but as I said, that took forever. The last few chapters finally saved the book for me. Not sure if I would read this author again.
Ana

Originally posted on This Chick Reads

*Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review*

'The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance' is the second book by amazingly talented Kirsty Greenwood. Last year I reviewed her book 'Yours Truly' (Read my review here) and I remember I was fascinated with her writing. I even remember thinking (and I say that in my review) that I can only imagine how good her next novel w
Kim
Shelves: net-galley, kindle, 2015
Jess finds herself homeless and jobless on the same day after expecting to be signing a big book deal with her best friend on an internet concept they run, that she writes for her friend. At a book launch where her friend conveniently poured a drink over her outfit before they left and convinced her to go in a onesie, she manages to sabotage the launch and meets an obnoxious man.

She decides to seek out her estranged grandma and what follows is a gloriously, frothy bubble of her being
Zarina
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Jessica Beam is not the likeliest of literary heroes. She is wild and careless, and it doesn't come as a huge surprise when all her luck runs out at once and she finds herself an out of work Billy no-mates. And because she'd been sharing a flat with her ex-best friend, she's suddenly homeless too. So in a fit of anger she kidnaps her roommate Summer's cat, Mr Belding, packs her belongings in a bin liner and sets out for the only possible roof-over-her-head she can think of; the house of
Holly
Originally reviewed for Bookaholic Confessions

The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance introduces us to party animal, pear-cider loving, twenty-something Jessica Beam. Her pastimes include casual sex and creating some of the funniest swear words known to man.
However, when her laid back attitude leads to her losing her job on the blog she works on with her best friend, Summer, she also loses her home at the same time. Being jobless and homeless is no biggie for Jessica Beam, though. It’s nothing
Natalie TBGWP
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2015
So erm, I have a new favourite book of all time. I actually really do mean that too. We fall in love with books so many times don't we? But there's always one that gets you. And in that I don't mean it gets you teary-eyed or gushy and shit, I mean it gets you! You as a person. You identify so much in the characters, the situations, in every page. The hurt, the laughter, the love all gets whacked up to a million and the feels come down hard. When a book does that to you, and it's really quite a t ...more
Book Addict Shaun
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Where to start?! You know when a book is just perfect from start to finish, faultless, amazing, epic, all the words? Well, that's The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance and it is hands down one of the best and most fun Women's Fiction books I have ever read. No exaggeration. And it's funny, like serious laugh-out-loud funny. Lindsey Kelk level. From just the very first chapter I knew I was going to love this book.

Jessica Beam finds herself thrown out by her boss and 'best friend' Summ
Kirke
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
I really didn’t like Jess at first. She’s the type of girl you call when you want to have a fun night out. You don’t call her if it’s about anything else but a party, as she will probably embarrass the heck out of you by getting insanely drunk. So I do get why her roommate did what she did, but Summer could have just been honest with Jess, as now she was a stab backing witch.

So after being kicked out and with that also losing her job, Jess realizes she has nowhere to go to or anyone
Bookevin
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full review:

Can I fanboy over this masterpiece by Kirsty Greenwood? Again? Seeing that I was gushing all great things about her debut novel, Yours Truly back in 2013. Oh, how I missed reading, guffawing and loving every page of Yours Truly. When I received a proof copy of The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance, I did an inexorable squeak and whoop of delight.
Agi
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Guilty as charged, I haven't read Kirsty Greenwood's debut novel "Yours, Truly" yet, even though it waits patiently on my kindle, and even though I have heard so many paeans about her writing. I am solemnly promising to make up for it asap, as, let's be honest, The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance has just blown my mind. It was one of the most anticipated books this spring and let me tell you, it is a book that is worth all the buzz, all the hype and thousand more.

The perfection sta
Paris Baker
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally posted on Paris Baker's Book Nook.

Thank you so much to Pan Macmillan for providing me with an ARC via NetGalley. The buzz round this book has been pretty epic, I think it was probably the most anticipated book of the year so far for chick lit fans. There wasn’t a word I’d read about it that wasn’t absolutely raving about how brilliant and funny it was, so I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy and find out what all the fuss was about!

It didn’t take long to work it o
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Firstly I have to say a big thank you to Karen as I won a copy of this fabulous book in a give away over on her blog's page, My Reading Corner.

The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance is a fabulous light hearted read that is extremely
entertaining.

Jessica Beam is a great character. She is the ultimate party girl and lives life to the full. That is until her so called best friend gets fed up of her drunken antics and cuts her ties with her, leaving her jobless and homeless. ...more
Jody McGrath
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOL and Feels

I loved this book! It was so great that I finished it in one day. At first, Jess, the FMC, wasn't terribly likable. She still found a way to burrow into your heart, even though, you didn't care for her behavior. Grandma Beam and Peach were fantastic, as well as Jaime and Leo.

This book was super funny, but it had so many layers in it that it wasn't slapstick or cliche. It also really brought out the feels. It was endearing and sweet. It is just something you must read.
Linda Dobinson
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kirsty Greenwood is a new author to me and I am very impressed. She has written a story that is a bit different but still as much fun as you would expect from a good chick-lit. I like how she shows that mistakes can carry on down the generations. Jess is a troubled soul due to misguided decisions by others and she goes on an unwilling journey of self-discovery. Of course there is plenty of alcohol and mishaps along the way. I recommend this book.
Alison Brodie
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been meaning to read this books for months. I'm so glad I did. It is very funny. I love the heroine, Jess. And I especially love the quotes from her grandmother's book of dating. This novel has received great reviews, and it deserves all of them.
Kristi
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 3.5. I hated the first 100 pages of this book, but found myself truly enjoying rest. Perfect kind of chick lit to read on a rainy day and share with all of your girlfriends (perhaps after a viewing of How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days;))
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)

This is like a cross between The Princess Diaries, How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days and Cinderella only with more swears, belly laughs and sexy times. Loved it!
Sharon
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I loved reading all about Jess. Loved the way it ended & hope there will be more books about them all!
Lucy Robinson
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect, clever, funny, wonderful chicklit. Greenwood is peerless in this genre! Review to follow.
Rebecca
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/

I am speechless. Absolutely, honest to God, 100% speechless. I have no idea of where to even begin with my review of The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance by Kirsty Greenwood. There's so much I want to say, so many gorgeous things that I want to comment on, and I'm almost certain that the majority of my thoughts will come to me once I'm away from this review and my laptop, gah! So, bookish beauts, I'm going to try my best to convey my utter, utter adoration of this
Chelsey
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Although there were some humorous/interesting scenes, this SO isn't what I expected this book to be about.

I expected it to go a little something like this:

Lady with history of one bad relationship after another finally gives up and is wandering around London, feeling sorry for herself, when she stumbles upon a book in a used book shop. It's titled: "The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance." It gives advice on how to dress, how to talk, posture, etc.

And this lady, willing to try anything at this
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jessica Beam is the ultimate chick lit heroine. She is only after a good time, spends a lot of time partying, and doesn't do deep and meaningful. However after a hilarious, but disastrous evening out in London, which should have been make or break for Jess and her best friend Summer, and their blog, on incident changes everything.

It results in Jess ending up best friendless, jobless and homeless, she suddenly remembers that she has a long-lost grandma that she has never met, and knows nothing a
Fabulous Book Fiend
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review: oh I loved this book so much it is going to be so so hard to review! Firstly this books was everything I hoped it would be. It is classic feel-good chick lit with some really really funny moments, a strong female lead, some real old-school family values and a twisty turns love story! Of course there is a happy ending which will leave you feeling as if you've just finished that delicious last bite of pudding at the end of your roast dinner and now you just want to lie back happy and conte ...more
Alba
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on: http://www.albainbookland.com/2015/04...

The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance is the book everyone is talking about, the book everyone is loving unconditionally. And now I know why. Do you want to know why too? Well, because it is da bomb! If you want to laugh uncontrollably for hours and fall in love with a book, a story, all its characters and its author, go get it immediately. By the end of this book all you'll be able to do is wish and pray to all gods that Jessica Beam was your best friend and maybe
Lynsey Farmer
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I loved this book for me the best chick li books were the i heart series by the brilliant lindsey kelk but its now sharing a place with the vintage guide to love and romance and i truly mean that.

I'm not my review will do this book justice but please if you're reading this then read the vintage guide to love and romance. I had a lot of emotions from reading this book i was laughing so much at the first chapter i cried at parts and i got angry at parts.

Its a classic brilli
Brittany
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book..I don't even know where to start. I absolutely loved it. It had me laughing so much (even during my lunch break at work!).
I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan of Jess in the very beginning, but despite that I was hooked from page 1.
I first read about it on a blog back in January and I just knew that I needed to buy it. I was intrigued and couldn't wait to see how Jess and Matilda would prove that those 1950's tips could still apply in such a modern setting. I wasn't disappo
Heidi
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance is amazing! I well and truly loved everything about this novel and was super excited when I found out that this is the first book in a series and that there is MUCH more of Jessica Beam to come in the future.

Jess is a character that I am sure every reader is going to love. She is not perfect (pretty much far from it actually), but she is so incredibly down to earth, manic and feisty. Her grandmother, Matilda, is quite the opposite – a demure, old
Lisa Hall
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh, how I LOVED Jessica Beam - this book made me laugh til I cried and then some. I was sniggering away to myself by the end of chapter one, and it just got better and better. Jessica Beam is a human hurricane, and I loved seeing how she transformed herself through her Grandmother's tips for how to be a "good woman" - tips that embody all that Jess is NOT.
The writing was fantastic, and I loved the references to modern pop culture (although I do get that not everybody is going to love that part

• I Followed the Rules
  • Зоки Поки
  • Unconditional
  • A Mother's Story (No Greater Love, #7)
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • The Winter Wedding
  • Some Girls Do
  • Pismo gospođe Vilme
  • The Night That Changed Everything
  • Crazy in Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop (Lonely Hearts Bookshop, #3)
  • How to Stuff Up Christmas
  • How Not to Fall in Love, Actually
  • Heaven Can Wait
  • Sex Lessons
  • Here's Looking at You
  • A Message to Your Heart
  • It Felt Like a Kiss
  • What a Girl Wants (A Girl, #2)
Kirsty Greenwood was born in Oldham, Greater Manchester in 1982. She is founding editor-in-chief of Novelicious.com