Start by marking “A Chronicle of Chaos (The Light and Shadow Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
A Chronicle of Chaos (The Light and Shadow Chronicles #1)

Read Book

A Chronicle of Chaos

(The Light and Shadow Chronicles #1)

In the deepest bowels of hell, five demons have been summoned, their bonds to the fires of damnation severed. For the first time in millennia, they have been called to the human realm to put an end to a battle that has raged for centuries.

The Children of Light and the Brotherhood of Shadow dominate the war-torn land, each yearning to rule the planet. Now the Brotherhood ha
Published October 23rd 2014

To ask other readers questions about A Chronicle of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Chronicle of Chaos

Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Thanks to D M Cain for giving me this book to review.

War has raged on the human realm for centuries between the Children of Light and the Brotherhood of Shadow, but now 5 demons have been summoned to destroy the Children of Light once and for all. Chaos is an up and coming solider in the Children of Light whose fighting skills are as big as his arrogance. Anathema is the youngest of the five demons summoned and is determined to prove he belongs on the human realm as such as the others. When coin
Sunshine Somerville
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fantasy world, demons, angels, complex moral dilemmas = I’m sold.

The author clearly spent a lot of time world-building for this story, and that richness comes across on every page. The writing itself is extremely well-crafted and nearly goof-free, which makes for a very enjoyable reading experience. While the book could easily be for a YA audience, the language and subject matter also feels very adult so that the book can be enjoyed by all ages.

The world itself is a bit of a mystery. It feel
Travis West
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Light and Shadow Chronicles is an ambitious project by author D.M. Cain, and “A Chronicle of Chaos” gets it off to a prodigious start. Expect angels, demons, mysterious magics and epic battles, and that’s just the beginning.

Ultimately, “A Chronicle of Chaos” is a story of good and evil, but not necessarily good versus evil. Chaos is a powerful knight for the Children of Light, and he is destined to change the world (or so it is believed). Despite the book’s title, however, almost equal billi
4WillsPublishing
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Let it be known that I am not a reader of the Paranormal/Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre. Let it be known that I read this book because I was asked to. Finally, let the records reflect that this book was one GREAT READ and so very WELL-WRITTEN!

By now, you all should know how much I love and appreciate well-written books! Let me tell you why this one impressed me. The imagination of this author was so huge that I actually felt the fires of hell… they were so vividly described! The creation of this "World" a
Tania Barlow
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down...

I was unsure about this book when I started reading it, but I was quickly drawn in and was unable to put the book down. This is a story about the battle between the Children of Light and the Brotherhood of Shadow. The Children of Light have eternal youth on their side; we follow the story of Chaos, arrogant but talented, who is prophesied to be great .
However, the Children of Light do not realise that the Brotherhood have demons to help them. We follow the story o
Leslie L. Allen
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking story of eternal love and duty heavier than mountains

I chose this rating for two reasons. 1) I loved the story. It's utterly amazing and heartbreaking. However, I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because I could see the ending coming. Love cannot change who a person truly is. 2) The editing was good, but with an experienced proofreader, it would have been better.

I loved the writing style. D.M. Cain seems to be an old soul storyteller. I saw the characters and their world through her ey
Lynne Murray
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A new Booktrope Editions of A Chronicle of Chaos was published in March 2016, and my review is of this edition.

In A Chronicle of Chaos, DM Cain takes us on a journey to a colorfully evoked fantasy world where humans allied with light and those who embrace darkness are locked in a conflict that has endured for hundreds of years.

I’m not sure where the line between YA and adult fantasy lies, but A Chronicle of Chaos seems to belong in both categories, lots of action, heroes young people can relate
Lisa Veldkamp
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Good and Evil will never look the same again." - Lisa, author of The Fire Trilogy

Normally when I’m confronted with so many books up front, I think: “That sounds like a lot of work.” Cain, however, has created such an interesting concept, it pulled me in from the start. A Chronicle of Chaos is part of a series, yes, but it can also be read as a stand-alone. Just like all the other books that will follow and you can read them in any particular order. How refreshing! There’s only one book which do
Susan Barton
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
D.M. Cain once again lured me into her majestic imagination with A Chronicle of Chaos. The story began in the year 1379. For hundreds of years the Brotherhood of the Shadow and Children of Light territories had been at war with each other in a struggle to rule the land. The Brotherhood of the Shadow summoned five demons from hell into the human realm to assist in taking a stronghold for power. The demons were to report to Vincent Wilda, the leader of the Brotherhood, and they were to follow spec ...more
Cindy
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’m very impressed with the way Cain had put a spin on the familiar “good vs evil” story with this book. With angels, demons, magic, and great adventures, this is definitely a book to be placed on your “must-read” list!
I must admit that in the beginning, I was a bit overwhelmed with the introduction of so many proper nouns—Meraxor, the Brotherhood, Beveliza, Vincent, Chaos—but the story quickly settled into a great pace. It gave me enough time to catch up to what all those people/places were, a
Kenneth Kerr
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Fascinating YA Fantasy novel

The Human Realm, demons from Hell, and angels from Heaven; The Children of Light and The Brotherhood of Shadow; The first Chronicle focuses on the character, Chaos. A Fantasy world where the classic struggle between good and evil takes on an interesting twist when a good human, Chaos, and an evil demon, Anathema, fall in love. Demons can't feel love, they can only feel evil emotions, so what will happen when the evil demon Anathema experiences the emotion of love?

D
Lloyd Baron
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
David
Shelves: read-in-2014
The first book from the Light and Shadow Chronicles series called A Chronicle of Chaos sets up a fantastic world of fantasy and adventure.  The main character, Chaos, is a young man in a group called Nightfall. He is destined to be a great fighter and is eager to fulfil his destiny.

He meets Anathema, a young man who is also feeling he needs to prove his value to his group. The story continues as Chaos and Anathema become closer and closer neither realising they are enemies and that Anathema and
J.C. Brennan
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Chronicle of Chaos (The Light and Shadow Chronicles #1) by D.M Cain is a well written and thought-provoking with an appealing concept. The story begins in the year 1379, where centuries of the Brotherhood of the Shadow and Children of Light lands have been at battling one another over rule of the land. The Brotherhood of the Shadow call upon five demons, bring them up from the realm of hell to aid in achieving an iron grip on power. Maybe not the best idea since we are speaking of bringing dem ...more
Rave Reviews Book Club
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Angela Shirley
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Young Adult Fantasy!

Christmas is right around the corner and this book would be an excellent gift for any young adult readers in your life. This book has two parts and the second part introduces us to a forbidden love for many reasons. The plot: a centuries-long battle for dominance between The Children of Light and The Brotherhood of Shadow which involves humans, angels and demons. The hero Chaos Lennox is immature and stubborn and Callista, the matriarch whose family dynasty rules the land of
Rocky Rochford
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Angels & Demons get even more sexier

With A Chronicle of Chaos being re-released with Booktrope Publishing, I received an ARC from the author in exchange of a fair and honest review. This is a story of an ancient war, one that never stopped as the fight between the Children of Light and the Brotherhood of Darkness rage on and yet, Chaos, the somewhat arrogant protagonist and one Demon in particular, Anathema, the war takes a turn that neither could ever have expected, a turn that saw them fa
Michael Elliott
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Sweeping Fantasy With a Very Relevant Message.

DM Cain had me cringing in fear with The Phoenix Project, this time around she took me into a world of angels and demons with humankind the hapless middle group. This is much more than just a story about good versus evil. It's an insight into an unconventional love between two males one human and one a demon. Don't think for one moment that this is a gay romance in any traditional sense. The characters genders are superfluous to the books real mess
Recipe Fairy
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a spellbinding book! I was completely enraptured from start to finish! The storyline is original. the action is plentiful, the hint of romance is poignant and the ideas are fresh. I love the theme of mankind and Angels vs Demons without being overpowered by religious undertones! This is just good, freeform excitement all around and I enjoyed every moment of it. I have to admit, there were a few times the story threw a real mind trip at me that left me reeling. The descriptive visualization ...more
Mathew Gregory
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In her second novel, D M Cain introduces us to a deep and immersing new world and to a struggle that has been raging for hundreds of years. Told through the experiences of a young man trying to earn his place in the world, and a monster struggling against his bonds, it is an intriguing glimpse into the nature of friend and foe, and into the fragility of absolutes.

Once again Cain manages to subvert our expectations, forcing upon us surprising pathos for the sociopathic, and unreasoning anger aga
Kevin Chilvers
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
An entertaining fantasy.

This Fantasy novel follows the war between two human nations – Children of Light (good) and Brothers of Shadow (evil).
The author creates an intriguing world in which humans, angels and demons clash and an unexpected meeting alters the course of history.
The plot is full of unexpected twists and keeps you guessing to the end.
A great read, though I feel that the overuse of adjectives view slows the pace in places and the omniscient point distances me from the story (this
Michael Stern
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
D.M. Cain has written a wonderful story. Truly a battle between good and evil, heaven and hell, with humankind in between. Try not to start reading late at night, because you'll be late for work. Others will review the storyline. I'll just say "read it."
Mary  Zebrowski
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read this kind of book. I am so glad that I did! The cover in itself made me want to read it. I will be sure to make sure my daughter and grandson read it too. I know they will enjoy it as well. I only pass along books when I myself is intrigued and I enjoy them!
Rakesh Chawda
Quite a light and easy read. The fights were exciting with all the powerful characters. I could really connect with the dilemma of the lead character in the end. The plot is well conceived and the book well written.
Mark Johnson
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Not bad

I enjoyed the book very much. The unexpected homosexual relationship was well done and while not my usual thing was fun to watch play out. However, this book has typos that drove me nuts. Whatever happened to editing in this country? Overall though a good read.
Tom Fallwell
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Chronicles of Chaos is a very well written fantasy tale that has a unique and different approach to the old themes of angels and demons. The character development and storytelling are superb, and sure to please any fantasy reader.
ROGER CAPOCCIA
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chronicle of Chaos

A very surprising read. It blends Angels, demons, legend, and fantasy together very well. Started it just for something to do and couldn't put it down.
James Moody
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read

The book was an excellent read. I am looking forward to the next book. Well written by the Lady. Huzzah!
Alishea
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
It looked interesting, but I just couldn't get into it. The human MC is a spoiled brat. The other looked like he might be growing.
Allan Berger
rated it did not like it
Feb 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
D.M. Cain is a dystopian and fantasy author working for Creativia Publishing. The Light and Shadow Chronicles series features a range of books which can be read in any order. The series instalments to date include A Chronicle of Chaos, The Shield of Soren and Genesis of Light.

Cain has released one stand-alone novel: The Phoenix Project, a psychological thriller set in a dystopian future. The Phoen

The Light and Shadow Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Shield of Soren (The Light and Shadow Chronicles #2)