Start by marking “A Time Like No Other” as Want to Read:
A Time Like No Other

A Time Like No Other

Lally Fraser, widowed at twenty, seeks comfort with dashing young mill owner Roly Sinclair. But when she finds she is expecting his baby, she turns to his dour brother Harry for help. Secretly in love with her, Harry offers her marriage. Roly, though, is anything but pleased. Threatening scandal or worse, he sets out to destroy them both. And when Harry is injured in a ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Time Like No Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time Like No Other

Start your review of A Time Like No Other
Lauren Jackman
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy stories written in years gone by,I like the dynamics of how men and women were supposed to act and behave. Lally is a strong minded, free spirited and loving woman who at times acts impulsively. I was captured from the start and loved the loylty of the womens friendships with one another. A great love and devotion blossomed throughout between Lally and Harry. I look forward to reading more of Howards books.
Christine
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I persisted and finished the book but found it fairly predictable and not overly engaging. It was what I term a light read without too much substance.
Carolyn Docking
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book, kept me wanting to pick up the book right from the start. Almost disappointed when I finished. Loved it.
Mela
I am almost mourning this book. Ehh... With each next page I was more disappointed. If you asked me at the beginning I would give four stars. Then, it was only three. Now, I am really torn.

Pros:

I remember an adaptation of 'North and South' by Gaskell (I haven't read it) and I was excited that 'A Time Like No Other' take place in the similar world and time. Initially I was sucked into the description of this time of industrialization. I think, the writer made historical study and knew what she
LaSibila
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romances
Lally es el tipo de mujer que no puede estar sola. Por eso, después de enviudar, se enreda con uno de los mejores amigos de su difunto esposo, el carismático Rory Sinclair. Lo que no me gustó es la anticlimática escena en que se queda embarazada. Nada de dulzura por ahí. Tampoco mejora cuando se casa con el hermano de Rory, Harry, para proteger su reputación y la de sus hijos. Menos mal que la nena se parece a ella!
Lo que más me gustó es la increíble amistad con dos de sus empleadas y lo que
Kay Bolton
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
Review taken from my Blog Post #116 in May 2011, after borrowing book from library.

At the age of just 20 Lally Fraser is left without the love of her life, with 2 small infant sons and absolutely no money on a badly neglected country estate.

She seeks the comfort of dashing childhood friend, Roly Sinclair with leaves her pregnant and is rescued by his elder brother, Harry, when he offers her marriage.

The only thing is that Harry is actually in love with her, but will she ever (a) realise that
Denny A
I couldn't put this down. It's a great story. The lady in it remarried after losing her first husband. For her it's a marriage of circumstance. During the book though her emotions change and a love for this man begins to develop.
Hazel McHaffie
May 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
A romantic novel set in Yorkshire in the woolen industry when conditions for mill operatives were appalling and life was cheap. Not really my kind of reading but it showed me the importance of respecting the reader's intelligence, the value of dialect, and the merits of brevity!
Sara Kimpton
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Very readable historical fiction set in Yorkshire during the industrial revolution. It reminded me of Catherine Cookson's writing. However, points off for excessive use of exclamation marks.
Fiona
Audiobook
a nice old fashion remonance
Kathryn
Good story, but was a bit depressing, there always seemed to be something bad happening.
Fanny
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by this book: less romantic than I expected but much more interesting.
Audrey
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good book. I highly recommend it.
Leez
Jul 18, 2015 marked it as to-read
Started but since been given a book id rather read
Christine
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good book. All loose ends tied up very nicely.
AnneMarie Brear
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• No One's Girl
  • Born to Trouble
  • Property of a Noblewoman
  • Touch Of The Wolf (The Pack #6)
  • Mate of the Wolf (The Pack,#7)
  • Secrets of the Wolf (The Pack, #4)
  • Dance Of The Wolf (The Pack #8)
  • Lone Wolf  (The Pack #10)
  • The Wolf Prince (The Pack #13)
  • Cry Of The Wolf (The Pack #5)
  • One Eye Open (The Pack, #1)
  • One Eye Closed (The Pack, #2)
  • Wolf Whisperer (The Pack #11)
  • Wild Wolf (The Pack #9)
  • The Sting
  • The Wolf Princess (The Pack, #12)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Bath Intrigue
Audrey Howard was born on 1929 in Liverpool, Merseyside, England, UK, and grew up in St Annes on Sea, Lancashire, where she lives in her childhood home.

Before she began to write she had a variety of jobs, among them hairdresser, model, shop assistant, cleaner and civil servant. In 1981, while living in Australia, she wrote the first of her bestselling novels published since 1984. In 1988, her