Start by marking “Paper Hearts” as Want to Read:
Paper Hearts

Paper Hearts

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  1,412 Ratings  ·  291 Reviews
A novel in verse, Paper Hearts is the story of survival, defiance, and friendship. Based on historical events about a group of girls who were slave laborers at the munitions factory in Auschwitz.
332 pages
Published October 13th 2015 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (Simon & Schuster) (first published September 1st 2015)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

THIS BOOK, I HAVE CRIED AND CRIED

****SOME SPOILERS****

This is based on the true story of Zlatka and Fania who were in Auschwitz together, they had lost their families, they had lost everything, but they found each other. And they survived! They had some friends named Giza, Guta and Bronia that survived with them. They all took care of each other the best they could in such a horrible place!

Rules

Mama's good girl
At home.
At school.
in synag
Chelsea
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paper Hearts by Meg Wiviott is beautifully haunting, inside and out.

The story follows two jewish girls who have been taken to Auschwitz during the holocaust, and their incredible will to survive. Although they've lost everything, friendship becomes weapon against oppression and hatred. Zlatka and Fania's story feels real, and then your stomach drops because you realize the are, and it is. It is all true, and it hurts.

It has been a long time since I read a novel written in verse, but Paper Hear
ReadingAddict
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely heartbreaking story, told in verse, about a group of young women held captive in Auschwitz. I think this is an important book for everyone to read, especially now with the current political climate in the USA. As the book simply states, "Never again. Never again. Never again."
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-2
When the Germans arrive in June 1941, life changed for the Jews living in Prużany, a small town in Belarus. For 17 year-old Zlatka Sznaiderhauz and her family - mother, father, younger brothers Iser and Lázaro, younger sister Necha - life became more and more difficult. Restrictions meant no freedoms, no school, no jobs, little food and eventually life in a Nazi-created ghetto. Before long, daily lists began to be posted for transports to Auschwitz-Birkenau. On the third day, the Sznaiderhauz fa ...more
Urtė Jakubauskaitė
anything"
Nicole
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Written completely in verse, Paper Hearts is a heart breaking account of what occurred before, during, and after Auschwitz and what it means to survive such horrifying experiences told by two young Jewish girls. These accounts were based on a true story and as close to historically accurate as the author could manage, which made it all the more devastating to read. I didn't expect to read it so fast, but this quickly became a book I couldn't have put down even if I'd wanted to.
Autumn
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Simply powerful. The writing style is beautiful. The simplicity of the poem format oddly enough adds to the power of the subject. Auschwitz and the Holocaust are not light subjects. This book is dark and heavy, but the writing style makes it so easy to read. I read this in one sitting. I finished this within a few hours. Highly recommended to anyone who loves reading stories involving the Holocaust and German history.
Sarah Reads
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a beautiful story based on the true events of what happened in world war 2. The story was so well written and is just so sad....SO MANY TEARS!!!!!!! Definitely a 5 out of 5 stars! Would really recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction and likes to read books in verse form!
Christina Hanson
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paper.
Scissors.
Pencil.
Glue.
Simple things we didn’t have.
Simple things once taken for granted.
Stolen.
Bartered.
Traded.
Simple things bright great risks.

Paper Hearts by Meg Wiviott is a Holocaust novel in verse based on true events. The story is told by Zlatka and Fania, best friends in the Auschwitz concentration camp. Zlatka wanted to make Fania a birthday card for her upcoming birthday. But Zlatka knew making something so positive and uplifting for her friend could come at a deadly cost. Even th
Courtney
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Paper Hearts was a touching story, and very sad. It walks you through the lives of young women who are taking to Auschwitz. The two in particular are Fania and Zlatka. You follow their journeys from the time they were taking to the camps all the way to the Red Army finding them and nursing them back to health.
Becca
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is WOW. Great book, I hope you're ready to cry.
Chesley Nichols
This story of love and friendship in such miserable circumstances...is inspiring. I really can't describe how much I loved this book.
Ari Q
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ari by: Victoria
"It would take longer
To learn to live
Again"

Okay, so I have an obsession with historical fiction novels, but more specifically, with books dealing with World War Two, the effects it had and events that took place in different parts of the world. I believe this fascination stems from a combination of many things. Mostly, it is the beauty that I find the darkness of this era can produce, as in, the way that humanity surpasses incredible suffering and retaliates in astounding and awe inspiring ways.
Cathy
Generally I am a huge fan of novels in verse. Paper Hearts is not my favorite one. Maybe Holocaust stories just aren't meant to be told in verse. Zlatka and Fania's stories deserved to be told in full. I loved the courage of these two girls and their friends, but I just felt there were missing pieces in the story that simply don't lend themselves to this genre. The book was HIGHLY recommended to me by several students, but having read it myself now, I am wondering if they really understood the f ...more
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautifully done.
Katy Jane
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1. This is one of the best Holocaust books I have ever read. I loved the verse format, the figurative language, the characters. It was just beautiful.
2. Love the theme of friendship in this book. It is literally the thing that got them through the torture. If it wasn't for the small kindnesses they showed each other, would they have ever made it?
3. The paper hearts symbolism made me tell everyone about this book. Most of the Holocaust books I read say the same thing. They had to keep to themsel
Madison Weidner
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Paper Hearts by Meg Wiviott is a poetic narrative written in verse and is based on true events. The story is written from the point of views of two young women, Zlatka and Fania, that become friends in Auchwitz-Birkenau after both of their younger sisters did not survive. The story gives the reader insight on what the prisoners of Auchswitz went through and how friendship can give someone strength to survive. The paper heart that Zlatka gave Fania for her birthday gave her enough strength to cha ...more
Madison Baity
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elm335-wow-books
This book tells the true story of two Jewish girls, Zlatka and Fania, who were taken to Auschwitz during the Holocaust. The girls witness so many truly awful things happen to those around them; they witness death from starvation, terrible beatings, and people being taken to the furnace. But they lean on each other and persevere in a way you wouldn’t even think to be possible. When Zlatka gives her friend Fania a paper heart birthday card, it gives her the strength to fight to survive. This book ...more
Rachael Marsceau
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Written entirely in various poetic forms, this book details life in Auschwitz from two teenage girls' points of view. The vocabulary is quite simple. Nothing graphic is mentioned at all. But the horror is still completely palpable. The courage and desperation just come off the page. The way Meg wrote this made it so easy (maybe too easy?) to picture it as if I were there.

I loved how clear the personalities were. Fania was softer, the "good girl," more prone to quietly obey not just with her bod
Rebekah
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was the longest short-read that I have read in a long time. I kept putting the book down because it was depressing. That being said, it was a wonderful book told in verse. The Holocaust continues to haunt as I see hate repeated and taught in today’s world.

Paper Hearts is the story of Fania and Zlatka, two young girls who find each other and encourage one another to live. That friendship inspires a handmade Birthday card that could have been the death of all who participated, and instead it
Kristen P
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: published
This is really interesting!

A brief summation of my thoughts:
I thought the writing style—verse—was effective and conveyed so much emotion.
The characters are so strong and defiant! They keep on fighting, regardless of what everyone else says.

So many good quotes in here.

I love the title and its symbolism.
Melinda
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Paper Hearts is a great story of friendship to help overcome the horrible life the girls were living during the Holocaust. The story is about two girls Zlatka and Fanin who become friends due to their time in a concentration camp. They help each other to survive the horrible tragedy that is happening around them. Zlatka and Fanin are real people who went through this. The author kept this story as true to what was told of her. What a great story that is told in free verse.
Alexa Marshall
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was compelling to read. I don't know the last time that I sat down and read an entire book in one sitting, but Paper Hearts was an extremely fluid and easy read and I wanted to know what happened to the two girls because the tale of their friendship in Auschwitz was actually real. The fact that many of these situations that the girls faced was fact rather than fiction was very heart wrenching.
H.K
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has broken my heart. It's a beautiful yet brutal story in love, loss, survival and friendship during a time where more lives were lost than anyone could count or justify. I read the book in around two hours, nearly a day later I'm still devastated and broke up over it. This book is a must read for everyone, I cannot recommend this book enough it's just so beautiful and heartbreaking.
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a fan of books that aren't written in normal, paragraph form. BUT I am so glad I gave this book a chance. It is beautiful and so meaningful!
Storm Brazendale
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a great book. I couldn't put it down.

The only reason I picked this book up today is that I finished my book while at school and hadn't brought a backup with me, so I got it out of the school library so I could read before I got home. I'm so glad I did.

READ IT
Emily Caveye
This book was not only very informational to this point in history, but it also really made you think. I could not put this book down! The way it was written- in verse- really made me slow down and think about what I was reading. I would very strongly recommend this to anyone and everyone!
  • Audacity
  • Auschwitz: A History
  • The Red Pencil
  • Pearl Verses the World
  • The Other Side of The Bridge
Meg Wiviott is the author of the picture book BENNO AND THE NIGHT OF BROKEN GLASS (Kar-Ben 2010) and PAPER HEARTS, a YA novel-in-verse based on a true story of friendship and survival in Auschwitz (Margaret K. McElderry Books/Simon & Schuster). She holds an MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. Meg and her husband have two grown children and live in ...more
More about Meg Wiviott