Start by marking “Writing Dialogue” as Want to Read:
Writing Dialogue

Writing Dialogue

Characters need to speak to each other. Tom Chiarella shows you how. Whether it's an argument, a love scene, a powwow among sixth graders or scientists in a lab, this book demonstrates how to write dialogue that sounds authentic and original. You'll learn ways to find ideas for literary discussions by tuning in to what you hear every day. You'll learn to use gestures inste ...more
Published February 15th 1998 by Story Press Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Dialogue

Candace
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
When it comes to writing, I have heard, "Learn the rules, then you can break them." Tom Chiarella tells us he is only offering advice on writing dialogue, not rules. He advises us to listen to dialogue. Listen to our family, friends and, even, movies. We are to jot down what we hear and use it to create new dialogue. He advises comparing the dialogue in a book to its screen play. Last, we come to the final chapter titled Nuts and Bolts. In this chapter we learn about dialogue tags, adverbs, pres ...more
Nikki Magennis
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
A wonderful look at writing dialogue. I got heaps from this book - learned lots about veracity and producing meaningful dialogue. Entertainingly written, too. A definite essential for a writer, I'd say. Contains plenty of exercises, and some fabulous insights on things like silence, what is not said, plus basic nuts and bolts practicalities.
It's pretty short, only reason I gave it less than five stars. I wanted more!
Bucket
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading a lot of books about writing technique--only posting the good ones here. This was entertaining to read and informative. Chiarella doesn't bog the reader down with his own set of rules, instead he skillfully and humorously explains what works in dialogue and what doesn't. Also buried within are other valuable insights about writing. Recommended.
S.P.
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a nice little guide to writing dialogue in fiction. Chiaralla's focus is on listening to real people talk, how they talk, what they say - emphasizing any dialogue your write is from the characters perspective rather than the writer's or for the benefit for the reader.

There are a number of techniques for doing this, and a excellent last chapter on dialogue tags, and punctuation.

Most informative
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the first (reference) book I picked up on my own and I really did learn a lot more than I had expected to. Some bits were slightly repetitive and could have been more impartial?
There (supposedly) aren't any hard and fast rules when it comes to writing, but I did find some (along the lines of 'rules') mentioned in the book worth following.
Josh Hutton
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
The best thing about this book is it demolishes your notions of dialogue, of listening, of silence— and restructures the way you see friends, family, and creative media. "Writing Dialogue," while thorough, also moves with both lighthearted examples and biting wit. By far one of the best books on writing that I've read.
Kelsey Bryant
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very helpful dialogue tips here, for any writer! Beware of a few profanities, however.
It includes exercises at the end of each chapter that seem helpful, but I have yet to try them. I look forward to doing so, and implementing his fresh suggestions into my own writing.
Margot
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book on writing dialogue is chock-full of useful exercises and applicable skills and techniques. Everything is communicated clearly and supported with examples. I liked it so much, I actually bought myself a copy for future reference.
Nikki
Mar 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you like books about writing, this is a good one. It's clear and helpful. It's not so much into cheerleading the fledgling authors as teaching the tricks of dialogue. It's very focused, so you are given tons and tons ideas for just dialogue. It's a tad dry, but good.
Luke Miller
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
This was a very helpful book. The descriptions and examples were excellent. I think many of the exercises in this book would be helpful for those who are not interesting in writing fiction. They would make you more observant. Help you enjoy the life around you more.
Leemaslibros
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Si ya es malo que haya pocos libros sobre cómo escribir diálogos, peor es que uno de ellos sea una masturbación constante del autor salpicada por algunas pistas de escaso interés.
Gabi
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Great stuff. Clear and valuable advice, meaningful exercises. I'll definitely return to this book in the future.
Douglas Wilson
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordsmithing
Quite good.
G.M. Burrow
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
So good, I was just about squealing by page five. And you can tell that 95% of the fiction authors and screenplay writers out there have NOT read this book.
Lee Sinclair
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
To me, the characters are what makes a story, so dialogue is one of the most critical elements of fiction writing. This book covers all aspects of dialogue and provides lots of specifics.
Krisi
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
ok.
Shane Lusher
Apr 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Good source with exercises for honing your dialogue skills.
Donna
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Some good pointers and lots of examples in this book. Especially strong in highlighting the differences between book and TV dialogue. I found other books on the topic more helpful though.
Jennifer Davidson
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of helpful information. It will certainly make me think a lot more while writing dialogue for my suspense novels...each word counts.
Steven
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
This is an excellent book for beginning writers because it gives a way to get started. Probably less useful for someone wanting to revise and hone a draft.
Joe
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great reference; and some excellent exercises to get it right!
Megan
Aug 05, 2008 added it
Shelves: 2000, 2001, repeats, writing, owned
With (above)
January 27, 2001
Tone
Dec 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
It's a rare book on writing that's informative and fun to read.
Becca
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Incredibly helpful and thought provoking.
Aditi Chopra
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great resource for writing dialogues in fiction!
Dustin
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-writing
A great book for a beginning writer like myself. It has a lot of good advice and some good exercise to help develop your writing. I would definitely recommend it.
Christiana
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid and enjoyable to read (not something I can say for every book on how to write dialogue...ironically).
Tina
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some good ideas, but I think it was a punctuation book I needed more than anything.
Nathan Daniels
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-related
M Lewis Hansen
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Writing Dialogue has practical advice and helprul excercises, but—for me, at least—it was a skimmer rather than a reader.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Creating Character Emotions
  • Breathing Life Into Your Characters: How to Give Your Characters Emotional & Psychological Depth
  • Description
  • Plot
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy (Writing Series)
  • Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively
  • Novelist's Essential Guide to Crafting Scenes
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • The Marshall Plan For Novel Novel Writing
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing