Start by marking “One Sixth of a Gill” as Want to Read:
One Sixth of a Gill

One Sixth of a Gill

'A rare treat' - J.G. Harlond, author of 'The Empress Emerald' 'An eclectic mix - quite unputdownable' - B.A. Morton, author of prize-winning crime novel 'Mrs Jones'

Five-minute reads.

Meet people you will never forget: the night photographer, the gynaecologist’s wife, the rescue dog. Dip into whatever suits your mood, from comedy to murders; from fantastic stories to blog
Published October 2014 by The 13th Sign

To ask other readers questions about One Sixth of a Gill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Sixth of a Gill

Sue
One Sixth of a Gill is an eclectic mix of writing, a veritable stew of short stories, poetry, brief essays, blog entries primarily reporting on the canine members of the author's family. Because of this mix I found my interest varied widely. While some of the blog reports were absolutely heartwarming, such as the rescue of the dog nicknamed Lou, the incidental reports on dog breeds were too specialized for this reader.

However, Gill's tribute to Lou's passing was really wonderful and was written
Claire Stibbe
Oct 14, 2014 Claire Stibbe rated it it was amazing
One Sixth of a Gill is truly a superb collection of reads. Clearing Out starts these shorts rolling, a poignant first story from Angela’s judicious point of view. A patchwork of clothes and smells to whet the senses, she must choose exactly what to wear. Something so completely ‘Angela’. I have to say I shed a tear after reading this as I did after reading The Dogs Who Walk Beside Us.

This collection is so deliciously diverse I’m hard pushed to label only one as a favorite. The Dog Who Cries Wolf
Shiv Harsh
Mar 20, 2015 Shiv Harsh rated it it was amazing
A veritable smorgasbord of delicacies!

I have often wondered why modern authors stick to one genre. In the good old days, we had folks who could write prose, poetry, fiction, history, and things in between. Thus my delight when I started reading Jean Gill’s “One Sixth of a Gill.” It crosses genres, and successfully so. The term smorgasbord comes to mind as one partakes of her offerings of short stories, poems, essays and blog posts in this book. And even by the end you cannot decide which element
Lesley Walters
Nov 02, 2014 Lesley Walters rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting and diverse mix of material that lends itself to be read however you like - from cover to cover, dip in for a poem or a short story, pick up the thread of a blog and follow it through... The writing is as diverse as the genre mix - light-hearted poems to make you smile, thought-provoking poems about life, the universe and everything... Jean Gill's writing is sharp and economical - she can pack a lot into 5 minutes! Her blog on Lou, the rescue dog manages to be both sad and ...more
Karen Charlton
Oct 08, 2014 Karen Charlton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘One Sixth of a (Jean) Gill’ is a stunning collection of five-minute reads for coffee-breaks, travelling or bed-time. Fantastic short stories, autobiographical extracts and the poetry of love and loss merge into blog extracts which trace the moving story of Lou, the rescue dog. Whether you want to argue about history, learn about bee-keeping , explore a Welsh Childhood or the beauty and culture of rural France, there is something for everyone in this delightful collection of short fiction and no ...more
Autumn Birt
Dec 13, 2014 Autumn Birt rated it it was amazing
A wonderful creative book full of artwork, stories, and poems! This books touches and inspires. Full of creativity, it is so easy to be absorbed by the beauty found in art or words on every page. There is humor, a sense of fun, love, loss, and yearning to be found within. Each time I picked it up, I found new thoughts and emotions that resonated. I expect it will be a book I come back to again and again. Highly recommended.
Kristin Gleeson
Oct 16, 2014 Kristin Gleeson rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely eclectic mixture of short stories, poems and essays that give a real feel for things that have touched the author over the years and provide great coffee break treats for the reader and provide a variety of moods. My most favourite of all is the essays that are devoted to the moving story of her dog. Those essays are so heartfelt they can't help but speak to anyone who reads them, especially those with pets.
Geoff Nelder
May 01, 2015 Geoff Nelder rated it it was amazing
At first glance this is a collection of stories, poems, blog pieces and articles but when you plunge into it a WOW factor kicks in. The poems are sublime, the tales are like poems. The blog pieces are interesting, especially the ground-truthing, as we remote-sensing nerds call it, of the 12th century history. Dog aficionados will find their bowls chock a block. In Going to the Dogs we have a fine lyrical narrative eg ‘the mirror had always been an untrustworthy friend... sniggered behind your ba ...more
Scot
Mar 29, 2015 Scot rated it liked it
This is an edited collection from the author's blog, a journal which is a mix of reflections, bits of poetry (including translations), here and there a photo. About ten percent of it consists of promoting other self-published books she has already generated. She seems like an interesting enough person--from the UK, lives in France, loves dogs and beekeeping--and here and there snippets of the poetry show talent and sensitivity. This is the sort of thing you might browse while waiting between fli ...more
Rebecca McCray
Jul 22, 2015 Rebecca McCray rated it it was amazing
A fascinating mix of written works. There's a little something for everyone: poetry, blogs, short stories. I particularly enjoyed the story of Lou's adoption and integration into the author's family. As well, the pieces that dealt with culture and writing historical fiction were really interesting. Then, there's the piece "Going to the Dogs" that is just a little disturbing and still hangs with me.

I can definitely see why this compilation of pieces was named a finalist in The Wishing Shelf Book
Dave Adair
Apr 27, 2015 Dave Adair rated it it was amazing
Jean Gill has assembled a remarkable collection of pieces that will alternately make you gasp, fret, smile, laugh and ponder. The depth of her writing is impressive, especially given the poetic nature of the work. It is difficult to pull off, but Jean has done it.

I love when stories don't end the way you expect, and I even more enjoy when you don't understand the story completely until the last line or two. Jean is a master of this.

I certainly plan to seek out more of her work as I am sure I wil
Jenn S.
Jan 08, 2015 Jenn S. rated it liked it
Here we have a collection of stories, poems and pictures varied enough to find at least one well liked among the lot. I like a few more than others and a few less than most. This is the way of things when it comes to collections and should be expected. Overall this is a decent read for passing time. I received an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
LaGina
Dec 14, 2014 LaGina rated it it was amazing
A book of short stories and poems. also included several interesting photographs that complement the collection. Awesome read.
Ted Tayler
Oct 28, 2016 Ted Tayler rated it it was amazing
" A terrific collection"

I have a confession to make. I'm not a dog lover. It didn't matter. Even though I freely admit to skipping through the canine capers, I still found plenty to enjoy among the collection of blog posts, observations and poems. In fact, I would buy this collection for the poetry alone, it was that good. Several of the other 'snippets' made me chuckle or even laugh out loud too. So, if you're a dog lover you'll be in clover.
Jessica Bell
Dec 20, 2016 Jessica Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first piece packs a poignant punch. I couldn't stop after reading it, and devoured each piece as if I'd been deprived of impressive words for years. Jean is a true wordsmith. She pulls on heartstrings, makes you laugh, and of course, makes you want to savour every word. A must-read to those who appreciate a carefully crafted sentence as much as a good story. A very talented author indeed.
Billy Buttons
Jun 04, 2015 Billy Buttons rated it it was amazing
This book was recently entered and was a finalist in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Star Rating: 5 stars
Number of Readers: 31

Readers’ Comments
‘This, I thought, was a very enjoyable read. My favourite was Divided by a Common Language. Very funny. The style is light and very accessible and there is a wonderful mix of genre.’ Female, aged 45
‘In the crazy world we now live in, a book like this is perfect. It allows the reader to enjoy a ‘moment’ and then put the book
Glen Barrera
Sep 10, 2015 Glen Barrera rated it it was amazing
Well worth the read.

It only took the beginning short pieces and the poem, Silk, to seduce me into Gill’s world. And what I found was a wonderfully creative writer, not afraid to take chances in her compilation of short pieces and poems. I could scan through again and list my favorites, but I believe those choices are best left with the reader. I will say, however, that nothing disappointed me. Each piece had its own charm, warmth (sections on Pyrenean Mountain Dogs), message, and/or smile as I
Nola
Jun 04, 2016 Nola rated it it was amazing
I will always be 'currently reading' this collection of verse, stories, thoughts, and tales. There is something for every mood that reminds me of laughs I shared with my mother, family history, my best dog friends, places I've travelled or wanted to go. If I have a few minutes to spare, I'll grab this book first.
Celia
Nov 14, 2015 Celia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015
This book is receiving rave reviews and I concur. It includes poignant, tender and sometimes even whimsical poetry as well as engaging short stories. I was especially touched by the story of Lou, the dog. If you are a doggy lover and like short, to-the-point, stories, this book is for you.
Wildaniah
Wildaniah rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Per Kristian Halle
Per Kristian Halle rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2015
James Lynam
James Lynam rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2014
Maverick Alipala
Maverick Alipala rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Tracy Rud
Tracy Rud rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Claire Hamlisch
Claire Hamlisch rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Cam Bruce
Cam Bruce rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Rachel Hall
Rachel Hall marked it as to-read
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Nicola Fantom
Nicola Fantom marked it as to-read
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Katrina Mcghee
Katrina Mcghee marked it as to-read
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Puscas Mircea
Puscas Mircea marked it as to-read
Gaytrie
Gaytrie marked it as to-read
SonyaA.
SonyaA. marked it as to-read
Vykki
Vykki marked it as to-read
Ms. Reader
Ms. Reader marked it as to-read
Carissa Burks
Carissa Burks marked it as to-read
Debbie Kennedy
Debbie Kennedy marked it as to-read
Desi
Desi marked it as to-read
Mia Redgrave
Mia Redgrave marked it as to-read
Kristia
Kristia marked it as to-read
Franka
Franka marked it as to-read
Julia Conway
Julia Conway marked it as to-read
Lisbeth
Lisbeth marked it as to-read
Richard Hicks
Richard Hicks marked it as to-read
Amedeea
Amedeea marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Virtual Writers: One Sixth of a Gill by Jean Gill 1 4 Nov 25, 2014 11:31AM
eBook Miner: Collection of shorts - goodreads print giveaway 1 7 Oct 24, 2014 07:03AM
Virtual Writers: goodreads giveaway and launch party 1 5 Oct 24, 2014 05:37AM
  • Knots
  • View From the Sixth Floor: An Oswald Tale
  • Along the Far Shores
  • Revenger (Samuel Carver, #6)
  • When Darkness Breaks
  • Catching the Eagle
  • Beneath
  • ARIA: Left Luggage
  • Mrs Jones (Tommy Connell Mystery #1)
  • 3 Futures
  • Random Lucidity
  • Darkness Ad Infinitum: Villipede Horror Anthology I
  • Restraint - Erotic Poetry
  • The Joy of Being Incomplete
  • In Chains (In Chains, #1)
  • From The Darkness (Aquila #1)
  • Hard Kill (Riz #1)
  • Vanity Fair, Part 2
4619468
Jean Gill is a Welsh writer and photographer living in the south of France with a big white dog, a scruffy black dog, a Nikon D750 and a man. For many years, she taught English in Wales and was the first woman to be a secondary headteacher in Carmarthenshire. She is mother or stepmother to five children so life was hectic.

Publications are varied, including prize-winning poetry and novels, military
More about Jean Gill...