Start by marking “The Annotated Turing: A Guided Tour Through Alan Turing's Historic Paper on Computability and the Turing Machine” as Want to Read:

Programming Legend Charles Petzold unlocks the secrets of the extraordinary and prescient 1936 paper by Alan M. Turing

Mathematician Alan Turing invented an imaginary computer known as the Turing Machine; in an age before computers, he explored the concept of what it meant to be "computable," creating the field of computability theory in the process, a foundation of
Published June 1st 2008 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about The Annotated Turing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Annotated Turing

Start your review of The Annotated Turing: A Guided Tour Through Alan Turing's Historic Paper on Computability and the Turing Machine
Mark Seemann
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: software
This book reprints Alan Turing's 1936 scientific paper On Computable Numbers, with an Application to the Entscheidungsproblem, with 'a bit' of commentary.

The paper is 36 pages, so the remaining 300+ pages are Charles Petzold's explanation of the paper. The book starts with explaining the (mathematical) context of the paper: what had come before, which problem it addressed, and some important mathematical tools and results required to understand the paper.

The paper itself is terse and dense, so
Deirdre
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wouldn't you like to know the outcome of your actions before you decide what to do? Looking into the future, you could see if biting that apple was a good idea or something completely different and unexpected.

However, there's no way through it but to do it.

Well mathematicians and computer programmers have the same problem. British mathematician, Alan Turing, proved that there is no way a computer can be designed with the correct set of instructions (program) so as to be able to determine if any
Nick Black
Oct 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Amazon 2008-10-24. This book needed to decide earlier on whether it was going to be pop-CS or a real book. There's some great insights here -- I finally feel that I truly know the difference now, in a deep sense, of what makes a given transcendental number computable or not (there's unfortunately rather little detail on computable functions themselves, but that's an easy extension from computable numbers). Kudos to Petzold for his fine background material on Hilbert's erweiterte Funktionenkalkul ...more
Stuart
Jul 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that is so deep that I doubt anyone can read it cover to cover without having to go back and puzzle over the contents of some of the chapters. It is intended as a commentary on Turing's paper which, in some ways, due to the notation Turing uses, is more difficult to understand than it needs to be. Petzold plows through this giving several lines of commentary and examples to each line of Turing's paper.

Petzold demonstrates his knowledge of computing and mathematics and
Bram
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-ai
I found this book to be the most enjoyable way to read a scientific paper ever. The way the book is structured is just excellent: Historical context provided but optional, scary maths not simplified but explained and also optional. On top of that, the writing is very accessible and nice to read.

The only problem I had in reading this was not so much to do with Petzold (or Turing) but with the logical syntax and the way it is presented. There is such a sheer amount of symbols in this paper that
Rutvik Patel
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the perfect choice if you want to get familiar with the notion of "computability".
Although Turing's famous paper is the primary focus, author will leave you with more knowledge than that. The notations used by Turing has been "outdated", the paper has some mistakes as well, but author has explained the material in a great detail, while pointing out corrections.
The book also touched upon topics such as infinite set, logic, Gödel's work, lambda calculus and human mind, everything
Shital
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was about 10 years ago when I first found Turing's original paper on Internet and thought it wouldn't be so hard to read and understand it (after all its "mere" computer science). Since then I've tried to digest it quite a few times on and off and never actually succeeded. Infect most of the time I got stuck on few nitty-gritty and just couldn't move forward. I have even bought/borrowed almost all books on the subject that falls in to "popular science" types. Needless to say, like many such ...more
Mengsen Zhang
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mengsen by: Roadzhang
Nice book! If you think this book is just an annotated version of Turing's paper on Computable numbers & Entscheidungsproblem, you're probably gonna be frustrated to see a paper of 30-ish pages has been stretched out into over 300 pages. However, it's more like that you traveled back in time to visit Turing and he (and his machine) introduced you to the most beautiful intellectual epics surrounding those decades. The dreams and dramas about numbers haunt human thoughts forever, at least ...more
Scott Lerch
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computerscience
This book was literally sitting on my nightstand for years. It was intimidating, dense, and extremely steeped in academic mathematical notation. The key to getting through it, for me personally, was to not get bogged down in the details. The historical context, biographical stories, and overall summarization of Turing's paper is excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed those parts. I even kept up with the definition of Turing machines, the notation, the workings, etc. but once the book is knee deep in ...more
Kam Yung Soh
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
An impressive book that gives you an annotated guide through Turing's historic paper on computation. It starts with a background in mathematics and number theory, defining various concepts that are required to understand the paper.

Next, the author covers probably the part that most interest me: Turing machines. Turing shows how such machines can be used to perform computation and, in an impressive series of steps, shows how a Universal machine can be used to execute the operations of any Turing
Zach
Jun 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Very useful for making it through Turing's famous (and dense) paper. Petzold sets the context for the paper and draws out its implications for thought. Turing invented the Turing machine on his way to showing that there is no general decision procedure for determining the logical validity of a statement. You may not care about all the math needed to get to this point, but it's there if you want it.
Dale
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics
This is a wonderful book. Petzold does a line by line exegesis of Turing's 1936 paper on computability, explaining the historical and mathematical background, and showing illustrative examples. The book is probably most interesting to computer programmers, but would also be of interest to anyone interested in mathematics or the history of computer technology. Having attempted to read Turing's paper several years ago, I found that this book really closed my gaps in understanding.
Jef
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: multnomah
This book turns Turing's rather terse paper into a great introduction to computable real numbers.
Jeff
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
outstanding refresher on how math theory lead to computing. makes the seminal turing paper understandable.
Andrés Quilodrán
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, cs
Definitely one of the best books I've ever read.

I'm fascinated by Alan Turing's work and have wanted to dive into his historic paper for a long time. This was the perfect book for it.

Having majored in Computer Science and loving Theory of Computation gave me enough background to avoid frustration at the challenge of reading through Turing's words. On the other hand 'On Computable Numbers, With An Application To The Entscheidungsproblem' is indeed a mathematics paper. However, Charles Petzold's
Prahesa
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Turing devised a totally new framework in order to solve Hilbert's Entscheidungsproblem (decision problem) in a from of what we know today as Turing Machine. This imaginary machine turns out to tell a lot more than to just being used as a solution of Hilbert's problem.

In this book, The Author gives a nice introduction and background history of why Turing's paper is important. He also try to explain in details of what Turing was trying to convey in his paper. At the end of the book, The Author
Charles
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textbooks
An excellent book on one of the most influential papers by Alan Turing. Petzold does a great job explaining and referencing other works that complement his narrative.

The short bits of history help a lot in understanding the reasoning behind the authors and how they may have reached their conclusions. They also act as short breaks between the explanations.

I think that this is a must-read for any CS undergraduate or graduate student. That said, I strongly believe that anybody that is curious
Qiongsi Wu
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very nice book on the classical paper by Turing. The annotations are extremely helpful. They offered a ton of interesting background and explanations.

The only reason (very personal reason) that I am not giving it 5 stars is that this is still not a good book as an introduction to Turing machine (which was what I bought it for). I was hoping the annotation would turn Turing's mystical presentation into something cleaner. It does, to some extent, but still not as good as more modern
Doug
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific concept, and I wish there were more like it. Take a famous academic paper that is not easy-going, and throw in 300 pages of explanation in and around the paper. Even so, it is still tough going, real in-the-weeds stuff, and frequently tedious. I must admit, I glazed over towards the last section on computable functions, but it's already calling my name to read it over.
Andrew
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will read this again. And I will read many of the books and papers it lists in its bibliography.

It is written with subtlety, compassion, humour, and incredible attention to detail.

Why is this book not more well-known?
Michael Brosnahan
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm sure I would have given it 5 stars if I had understood more of it
Toropenko Sergey
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Very high-brow.
Alain van Hoof
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Great explanation of the Original Turing Paper. Need to read is again some day, to really understand what Turing wrote, the C. Petzold part is clear though.
Adam Kippis
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Appeals to me as a theoretical mathematician that had to read this type of stuff 20 years ago during my studies.
Michael Webb
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
You need to be an incredibly patient person to get the most out of this book. I am not that person.
Ismail Mayat
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Found it quite difficult to get through but that is due to my lack of mathematical knowledge, that said very interesting in places. I did skip quite a few sections.
Eugene Maslovich
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful piece. Very well written and thoroughly explained. Wish more popular science books were like this one.
Blackburn Frostking
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
my favorite computer science book
Alex
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The annotations throughout are extremely helpful, and the author does a nice job adding historical context that really enhances reading this classic proof.
David
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has a 10:1 ratio of annotations to Turing's original paper. That's a considerable increase. But there's no wasted space here. The biography of Alan Turing is very short. Only the bare minimum of each mathematical subject is explained (Diophantine equations, number theory, sets, lambda calculus). In short, Petzold added just the right amount of notes for a non-mathematician like myself to actually understand every single word of Turning's original 36 page paper.

It seems that I am

• Gödel's Proof
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The Soul of a New Machine
  • Clean Architecture
  • Connectome: How the Brain's Wiring Makes Us Who We Are
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • Turing's Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe
  • Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
  • CLR via C# (Pro-Developer)
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • The Society of Mind
  • The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation
  • Clean Agile: Back to Basics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Charles Petzold has been writing about programming for Windows-based operating systems for 24 years. A Microsoft MVP for Client Application Development and a Windows Pioneer Award winner, Petzold is author of the classic Programming Windows, currently in its sixth edition and one of the best-known programming books of all time; the widely acclaimed Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware ...more