Start by marking “Shoot Your Novel: Cinematic Techniques to Supercharge Your Writing” as Want to Read:
Shoot Your Novel: Cinematic Techniques to Supercharge Your Writing

Shoot Your Novel: Cinematic Techniques to Supercharge Your Writing

(The Writer's Toolbox Series)

Want to write a visually powerful novel? Shoot Your Novel takes an in-depth look at cinematic technique for fiction writers. No other writing craft book teaches you the secret of how to "show, don't tell." Best-selling authors of every genre know the secret to hooking readers-by showing, not telling, their story. But writers are not taught how to "show" scenes in a cinematic way. Wit ...more
Published October 2nd 2014 by Ubiquitous Press

To ask other readers questions about Shoot Your Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shoot Your Novel

Start your review of Shoot Your Novel: Cinematic Techniques to Supercharge Your Writing
K.M. Weiland
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited about this book the moment I heard about it. I'm a visual writer who always incorporates a lot of movie techniques into my fiction, and I instantly loved the idea of using movies to teach show and tell in novel writing.

The second half of the book was the gold mine for me, as Lakin discusses how to consciously structure scenes in a visual way, using various degrees of description to highlight the important moments. I always go into a scene knowing its structure, but I ha
Sue Lilley
Maybe I’m missing the point but this reads like a lecture on cinematic techniques for a screenplay. There is so much detail I ended up skipping bits, particularly all the jargon. I don’t need to know what all the camera shots are called. The novel writing examples seemed bolted on. I’d have preferred it to be the other way around - ie how to solve a particular problem in a scene by using a screenwriting technique. But maybe that’s just my style. The author clearly has some expertise but in this ...more
While this had some helpful information, some of the movies and used as references were pretty violent and a bit disturbing, so I chose not to finish the book.
Newton Nitro
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NITROLEITURAS: Shoot Your Novel (2014) – C.S. Larkin | Dicas para Escritores: “Filme” a Sua Narrativa!
E depois de muito tempo, trago aqui no Nitroblog uma resenha de um livro de dicas para escritores muito interessante, principalmente para aqueles escrivinhadores que compartilham meu amor incondicional ao cinema: Shoot Your Novel: Cinematic Techniques to Supercharge Your Writing (The Writer’s Toolbox Series).

Shoot your novel ebook cover final 1400 pixels wide

SUMÁRIO
Eve
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for aspiring novelists and for those who want to do screenplays and/or shoot films. Interesting and valuable perspective, which made me appreciate the art of film making so much more than I have - which was considerable. A whole new way of approaching writing too!
Ann Thomas
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-writing
What a clever idea! This uses excerpts from screenplays to illustrate different shots that directors use in films and excerpts from novels to show how these shots can be used in writing. Authors tend to write scenes as if they were viewed from the point of view of a character and never think to zoom in to closeup or out to pan across the setting. I went through and made notes to refer to when editing my latest novel, and will use this book time and time again. Highly recommended.
Alyssa
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great craft sharpening book

A lot of great tips that I will try to incorporate into my own writing. This inspired me so much that I could only read a few pages at a time before rushing to my office to write more.
Lois
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a BIG help

I never fully understood 'show don't tell' from a practical standpoint until this book. Great examples and clear explanations are given. Highly recommend.!
Tammy
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am finishing up the first draft of my novel, and this book provided some new ways for me to approach scenes. It will be instrumental throughout the revision process.
DiAnn
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent visual for the writer
Helfren Filex
A cinematic guide to transforming novel into dimension of angles,views and POVs that stick to the readers.
Bill MISKELL
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent tie between writing and screen.
John W.
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Publisher Ubiquitous Press October 13, 2014

"Shoot Your Novel" grabs authors or aspiring authors immediately as they read the first page of Lakin's book. Writers who follow Lakin's instructions will learn how to give their fictional stories a deeper meaning and emotional impact captivating readers of their novels. Her book teaches novelists how to look at their work as if they are looking through a camera lens. Writers learn to use methods screenwriters or directors of movies use to
Michael Murphy
I'm not sure what the author was trying to do with this (and I did like one of her other books on writing). In a nutshell, there were just too many examples, especially excerpts from screen plays. Although interesting, they really don't add much - this is a book about applying cinematic techniques to novels, not studying screen plays - they are just bloated examples that fill an awful lot of space. Also - and I can't stress this enough about books on writing craft - multipage extracts from novel ...more
Brent King
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writing is not all that different from directing. That’s what C. S. Lakin declared in her book, Shoot Your Novel. Then she took me on a journey through the most valuable cinematic techniques that a director uses and showed me how to apply them to my novel.

From panning to montages to zooming in, she explained how it worked in a movie and related that to how powerfully it could work for me too. I found the examples that she uses more helpful than in most how-to-write books. Most of the
M.A. Brotherton
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I've done quite a bit of writing and have always tried to internalize the "Show, don't tell" motto. It hasn't been easy for me. I've always felt like I was mimicking the techniques of better writers without actually understanding them.

Lakin's movie camera metaphor has helped with that immensely. She explains how filmmakers use different shots and angles to set tones and exposition without just throwing everything out there, then shows how writers have successfully used the same techn
David Allen
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to-write, film
Wow. Still taking notes on this one.

Ever wonder how some novelists get book after book turned into movies?

Me too. Ever since my own personal committment to having books turned into film, I've searched for ways to make it easier. Turns out, one of the ways I can make it easy for producers and screenwriters is to make a story so vivid, that I unconsciously give people a movie-like experience.

C.S. Lakin shows how different 'shots' are used in fiction novels to cr
R.D. Hayes
Dec 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Contains mostly fluff

Author used words like "maybe", "perhaps", and " probably". It was a difficult read and hard to follow. I did not learn anything from this book that could help. It contained a heap of fluff and I verily made it past the first 12 pages. I continued reading since the author promised to show examples in later chapters. I eventually got bored when I realized the examples where just the author telling me to "watch shots from my tv", but it never explained anything or gave a clea
Linda
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most books on writing tell the reader the same things that all the other books cover. It's hard to find something new about writing novels. Shoot Your Novel had some different takes on the subject. It wasn't the same ol' same ol'. Now , if I can actually write my novel while thinking like a movie director, we shall see.
Katia M. Davis
This was alright. I tend to visualise things when I write anyway so this was not a huge eye opener for me. There are a few techniques I might try to see how they fit with my style. The copious inserts of screen plays got on my nerves and I skimmed or skipped most of them as the techniques were described in text anyway.
Randy Tramp
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took my time reading this book. Each day, I'd read a section, then attempt to put the teaching into practice. It caused me to look at movie differently. And it supercharged my writing, as the title proclaimed. I highly recommend this book, as it'll give the writer a different viewpoint. For me, now, when I write I imagine a camera shooting the scene.
Wilani Wahl
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must have book for writers. I found it so helpful. I want to be able to write books where you can be right there in the scene with the characters. This was full of helpful hints to do just that. This book is well worth the money and I plan to read more of this author's books
Judith Noameshie
Great book!

For a newbie like me,this helped expand my thinking about the writing process. Very helpful in terms of finding out how to make your book more interesting. Also the author should get her friends to create the app she mentioned.
Catharine Bramkamp
CS Lakin is wonderful and very giving with her time and talents.

She had great ideas about how to create scenes and focus for your novels.

Hear what she had to say on Newbie Writers Podcast - Episode 143 on ITunes.
Jennifer Weir
Feb 26, 2019
B B
Nov 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel (Before You Waste Three Years Writing 327 Pages That Go Nowhere)
  • As You Are (The Rambler Battalion, #2)
  • Where You Go (The Rambler Battalion, #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island #2)
  • The Sound of Rain (Nicole Foster Thriller #1)
  • Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
  • Don't Stop Now (The Rambler Battlion , #3)
  • The Weight of Silence (Nicole Foster Thriller #2)
  • She Sat He Stood: What Do Your Characters Do While They Talk?
  • The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction: 6 Steps to Writing and Publishing Your Bestseller!
  • Trump Never Give Up: How I Turned My Biggest Challenges Into Success
  • Trump: Think Like a Billionaire: Everything You Need to Know About Success, Real Estate, and Life
  • Writing Love Scenes: Professional Techniques for Fiction Authors (Writer's Craft Book 27)
  • The Trump Card: Playing to Win in Work and Life
  • Trump: The Art of the Comeback
  • The Art of Mingling: Fun and Proven Techniques for Mastering Any Room
  • The Small Guide to Anxiety
  • Get Started in: Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy

The Writer's Toolbox Series (6 books)
  • 5 Editors Tackle the 12 Fatal Flaws of Fiction Writing (The Writer's Toolbox Series)
  • The 12 Key Pillars of Novel Construction: Your Blueprint for Building a Strong Story (The Writer's Toolbox Series)
  • Layer Your Novel: The Innovative Method for Plotting Your Scenes
  • Writing the Heart of Your Story: The Secret to Crafting an Unforgettable Novel (The Writer's Toolbox Series)