Start by marking “False Awakening” as Want to Read:
False Awakening

False Awakening

When teenager Abi Watson wakes in a hospital bed with no memory of the incident that put her there, she must begin the long and difficult process of piecing her life back together, but unfortunately, her search for answers will merely give rise to further questions. Frayed relationships and haunting revelations soon come into play, leading Abi to discover that some things ...more
Published October 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about False Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Awakening

Start your review of False Awakening
Abigail
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was such a good story. I might be biased but I loved Abi's character (and name), she was real and I could feel her struggles. The ending was also brilliant, I didn't see it coming at all.
Benjamin Grossman
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading McLaughlin’s first novel, The Vessel, I was interested to read more from him. And False Awakening is a great follow up novel, which avoids the sophomore slump that plagues many authors. The title plays with the idea of being awake without really being awaken to the past/present, and the overall plot revolves around Abi Waston’s lack of memory and misremembering of an evening’s events that lands her in the hospital.

One of the things I enjoyed most about this novel was the interior
Melissa Barker-Simpson
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was highly anticipating this novel. Not only is thriller my favourite genre, I’m a fan of Callum’s work, and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it!

The descriptions are wonderful, I was transported from the opening sentence and got completely lost in Abi’s world. It was like being inside her head, experiencing the trauma with her and seeing things as she did.

I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery surrounding Abi’s accident, especially the emotional conflict of those around her – it was gripping in it
Patty Delft
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a couple of things in particular that attracts me to this book.

First of all, I love the writing style. It reads easy and swiftly. When you start to read, the story grabs you almost immediately and keeps you in its grasp for the remaining of the book.

It has a great tension in it and sparks your curiosity throughout the chapters.

The second thing I really like is that this book contains a subject very close to my heart: PTSD. I admire a story that holds issues that are normally kept hidde
Marcia
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Callum McLaughlin's poetry for some time, but this was the first novel of his I've read. His use of poetic description is clearly displayed in his prose writing, throughout this tale of confusion and betrayal. A young girl is found injured, with little to no recollection of what happened to her. Another is found brutally murdered in the same vicinity. The reader goes along with Abi on her frustrating journey to piece together the events of the night she was injured, and it's w ...more
Mira
Nov 20, 2014 added it
Shelves: thriller-horror
This story is about a girl named Abi who has amnesia and is troubled with what she can and can't recall about the night that landed her in the hospital with this injury. Her friend died that night and there is pressure for Abi to help with the investigation. Her two other friends (Dan and Luke) where there to, but no one seems to know but Abi may know.

The descriptions of the story where well written. You'll either empathize with Abi or not, I had a hard time caring about her. Abi is a self servi
Lisa Ojanpera
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
False Awakening is a solidly told story that captures the attention throughout the novel. The perils of young Abi on her friendly evening of partying turn sour when she awakens in the hospital with amnesia.

The book begins to guide you on a very realistic journey to find answers in spite of the lost memory Abi has suffered. I was delightfully entertained from cover to cover.

I heartily recommend this book in the spirit of good, old-fashioned story telling.
Gina Briganti
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Abi Watson is a typical eighteen-year-old until she wakes up in the hospital without her memory. The author takes us on an entertaining journey through what that would be like through beautifully atmospheric scenes he paints with his words. As you would expect from a YA mystery, there is a payoff at the end of the story. It was worth waiting for.

Ana
rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2015
Julie Cheung
Oct 13, 2014
Callum McLaughlin
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Victoria Stephen
Mar 15, 2018
Shelly Lora
Jul 19, 2020
Based in Scotland, Callum McLaughlin is a writer of words, a reader of books, and a lover of cats. He operates on a freelance basis, producing content for blogs, websites, and magazines. His fiction and poetry have also been featured in several literary journals, both online and in print.

News & Interviews