Start by marking “Annaliese From Off” as Want to Read:
Annaliese From Off

Annaliese From Off

The year is 1900 and young mother Annaliese Stregal is forced by her husband, John, to leave their comfortable life in Louisville, Kentucky to live in a lumber camp in the north Georgia mountains where he has launched a timber business with his brother. Joining her there with even more outrage and dismay is the prickly sister-in-law she loathes, Lucenia, who is full of opi ...more
Published October 1st 2014 by Five Points Press

To ask other readers questions about Annaliese From Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Annaliese From Off

Start your review of Annaliese From Off
Ann-Marie
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book rates a 4.5.
I really expected this story to follow a formula. A well-to-do city gal moves to the country against her will, hating everything about it, in her very superior way, and, of course, the simple, charming county folk win her over in the end. NOT what happens.
I don't want to spoil anything, so all I will say is, Annaliese is a wife, mother, sister, friend, aunt, educator, consevationist, survivor and one strong woman whose story is worth reading.
Pam Dunn
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had it all---great characters, interesting plot, and a grabbing writing style. It was a quick read because I couldn't put it down. The author tackled thought provoking themes that included the forestry business, Native Americans, and mental illness. I read it twice!
Tracy Daggerhart
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lindy Keane Carter grabs the readers attention quickly and soon you are enveloped in a powerful novel that follows a brave, unstoppable lady named Annaliese Stregal.
The year is 1900 when Annaliese is uprooted from her comfortable lifestyle in Louisville, KY and placed in the remote mountains of Georgia. It is here where her husband-John and his brother-Ben start a lumber camp. Though reluctantly, both families move to support this new business venture.
Annaliese is resilient with the adversities
Judy G Spivey
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story revealing the building of a family and an industry in th 1900 s.

Literally could not stop reading this book. Two women united by marriage to brothers must learn to live together in a logging camp in the Mountains of Georgia in 1901. How they learn to cook, clean, and make a life for their husbands and children, while building a relationship neither thought possible, reveals much of the human spirit. Insight into the beginning of the logging industry and dealing with the mental breakdown o
Jennifer Malenius
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strength

This book is about strength. Strength of will, relationships, nature and the strength the characters didn't know they possessed. The beginning was a little slow to reel me in, but once I was I wanted to keep reading. I loved the development of the women's characters and the blending of the previously important classes. The descent into madness was alarming but well described. You want more when the book ends.
Anne Robichaux
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author gave a presentation that piqued my interest about her writing so I purchased her book(s). This is a work of historical fiction but the descriptions of time and place, and the development of characters worked together so well that I felt like I was living in the time. Her characters are believable with a good mix of tragedy and triumph. The first book was such a good story (even with the tragedy) I had to purchase the sequel! Very enjoyable and informative!
Maureen Rogers
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tough Women

Enjoyable and educational story of two families who move from city to hill country of Georgia. The story is focused on the struggles of the two women whose lives are dramatically changed by husbands who are driven to succeed in the lumber business . Learning to live with no modern conveniences is minor compared to their personal trials .
Lia
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My heart

The only reason this book doesn’t have five stars is because the last like 5 chapters felt rushed, and quite frankly was darker than it needed to be. It was a great read but it had a tragic ending. So bittersweet.
Linda Rhyne
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I like historical fiction and I love to read about plucky women. Recommend for a book club, would have good discussions, I think.
Robert Hein
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Annaliese from Off, by Lindy Keane Carter

Immense Depth of Character, Dialogue, History, and Mountain Folklore, December 31, 2014
By Robert Hein

If the point of fiction is to write the truth, Ms. Carter has achieved a high level of writing.

The depth of character, dialogue, history, and mountain folklore is immense. You will appreciate the rich, provocative conversations between Annaliese, her sister-in-law Lucenia, and Ruth, a young mountain girl who works for them but turns into a confidant and me
Karen Belom
Faisal
Oct 16, 2016

• Whistling Past the Graveyard
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
  • God's Wisdom for Navigating Life: A Year of Daily Devotions in the Book of Proverbs