Start by marking “Unlucky for Some” as Want to Read:
Unlucky for Some

Unlucky for Some

Sassy Italian-Australian newspaper reporter Raffy has been ultra-superstitious ever since her ex-fiance saw her in her bridal gown before they got hitched - and left her at the altar. But as luck would have it, one of her new assignments at Press Publishing is a feature series challenging some of the most common superstitions in the lead-up to Friday the thirteenth. It's h ...more
Published November 1st 2014 by Impulse Australia

To ask other readers questions about Unlucky for Some, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlucky for Some

Start your review of Unlucky for Some
Eleni Konstantine

A novella about superstitions with a heroine from an Italian background and a hero looking on in bemusement. Cute, fun and easy to read. A quick story to read and make you smile.

Disclaimer: While I know the author personally, this doesn’t affect the star rating.
HEChapter -Tina J
Blog Banner photo banner2_zps0a9ef8c3.jpg

Unlucky for Some by Carla Caruso

Release date: November 1, 2014

*** Provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ***

Raffaella Fortuna has the right to be superstitious. When your name literally translates to "Rough Luck", you'd be, too. She works as a lifestyle reporter at Press Publishing in Adelaide (Australia). Growing up in an Italian family, superstitions run her life. Tass Bence also works for Press Publishing, but in the Video department and had the displeasure of meeting Raf
Kathy
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an easy book to read in one sitting or between books when you want a break. The characters are fun and quirky but still believable and interesting. Imagine sassy Italian-Australian newspaper reporter Raffy Fortuna who is assigned to spend a week trying out and debunking every day superstitions. To make matters worse, she must work with videographer Tass Bence, whose drink she spilled all over herself when she bumped into him. In addition, Raffy comes from a very superstitious Italian fam ...more
SydneyGen
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
posted on sydneygenreads.com

Need a super quickie read to tie you over between longer reads?!? I've got it right here. This book was just released on the 1st of November, so it's nice and fresh! This was a really fun quick contemporary women's fiction, I managed to read half of it whilst I was making dinner!

I enjoyed the characters, and although just a novella, the writing was done in a way that all the background character information was weaved throughout the story, making it seem like a much l
Renee
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2014
This was the second book I've read by this author. This is a novella, so easy to read in one sitting.

The characters were likable and relatable. The storyline was fun with a bit of romance. The main character was quite superstitious and throughout the story she reluctantly challenged her superstitions.

I recieved this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica Alcazar
Very nice story and quick to read. Set in Australia and written by an Australian made it very authentic to me. Even some of the wording used was different from your norm here. I enjoyed myself reading this story. The main characters and their superstitions were great fun to read about!
ARC provided by HarperCollins Publishers Australia via NetGalley for an honest review.
Isha Coleman
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Unlucky for Some by: Carla Caruso
This is an author to watch. She uses humor. She takes a story that could come across as ridiculous and makes it cute and funny. Raffy a woman is very superstitious has been given investigative assignment to research the most common superstitions. Are her phobias real or all in her head? Will she stumble upon love along the way? Adorable read.
Emmeline Lock
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-ebook
Cute!
Katherina
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, novella
Such a lovely and sweet novella. The perfect read for a quick romance craving.
Shirley
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Funny lighthearted sweet!
Kellie
Needed a little fluff after reading Rosemary's Baby. Fun story, once you get past the ridiculous names, but not particularly memorable. ...more
Just
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice quick read which allowed me to break up the reading of another much larger book I am struggling with. Allowed me to refocus on the other book again and start enjoying it again.
Arielle Jagow
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted on my blog www.LifeWithJoyBlog.Wordpress.com

Unlucky for Some is a short novella about how some people succumb to the superstitions that drive their lives and the things that they do to attempt to stay out of trouble. Somehow the things you try to avoid often have a way of finding you and sometimes the only thing you can do is just laugh at it all. Often times things aren’t always how they seem and sometimes the things that you thought were a result of bad luck, turn out
Cas H.
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had such a wonderful laugh in reading Unlucky for Some by Carla Caruso. Carla is a wonderful author who has made superstitions seem very foolish in this book. Raffy is a columnist for her local newspaper and she has been tasked with writing an article a day defying the most common of superstitions. By the end of the week, she should have smashed a mirror, had a black cat cross her path, walk under a ladder and all this so that she can disprove that superstitions are real. Her mother is Italian ...more
J Wrin
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this bite-sized little nugget of Carla Caruso goodness. I thought it was beautifully put together, a compendium of some common superstitions and some clever ways around them. A romance hiding in a series of articles brought to life by more of her likeable characters. Reading this made me feel good, what more can I say?
Char Sowers
This was a fun, cute, and sweet little read. If you want a quick “palate cleanser” this is the novella for you.

If you would like to read the full review please visit my link text

This novella was provided by the publisher for a honest review.
Melissa
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Short, fun read that will have you questioning superstitions. It is a cute story that starts with spilled coffee and leads to a romance, with bumps along the way. Whether you are a superstitious person or not, this is a must read.

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley.
Peggy
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable fun book. Loved reading this! Makes you question so much of the superstitions that so many people go by. Just how real are they.... Page turner!

*Received for an honest review*
Caitlin
Kimi
Jan 24, 2015
Kim
May 05, 2015

• When You Find Out the World is Against You: And Other Funny Memories About Awful Moments
  • The Best Man
Carla Caruso was born in Adelaide, Australia, and only ‘escaped’ for three years to work as a magazine journalist and fashion stylist in Sydney.
Previously, she was a gossip columnist and fashion editor at Adelaide’s daily newspaper, The Advertiser. She has since freelanced for titles including Woman’s Day, That’s Life and Marie Claire.
These days, she writes fiction in between playing mum to twin s