Start by marking “Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #2)” as Want to Read:
Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #2)

Captive

(The Blackcoat Rebellion #2)

The truth can set her free

For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, in a hostile meritocracy on the verge of revolution, Kitty sees her frustration grow as her trust in her fake fiancé cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoat rebels she is secretly supporting keep her
Published December 1st 2014 by Harlequin (UK) Limited (first published November 25th 2014)

Anna Luce
Nov 26, 2013 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: used-to-own
26/11/13

*waiting impatiently patiently for the release*
Demi
This series would seriously be fantastic if not for two things:

1.) Benjy and Kitty's relationship. It's so unbelievably bland. I mean, I'm told about how great a love they have and blah, blah, blah but that's all. I'm just told about it but I've never been given reason as to why their love story is even worth telling. So the grew up together, that's not really interesting. Also, it's so awkward. And they're both so hung up on sex at random moments, like chill, we kinda have other thi
Alyssa

Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Nasty Lady MJ
To see review with gifs click here.

If it wasn’t for Kitty and her stupid taste in ships, this book would get a fairly high rating.

The world building is more than a little interesting. Though the caste set up is a little cliche for YA dystopias, I like the twists and little quirks that Carter gives it.

Okay, it’s true that some of the twists and turns of the plot go into soap opera territory, but for the most part it really works. Well in fact. I liked the fact that it
Afrah
Jul 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
1 question: Aren't we supposed to actually LIKE the main character in a book ?
Meredith
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-releases
Captive was a crazy, intense book with one "Oh, crap!" moment after the next. While I enjoyed Pawn, I had several issues with it, so I was uncertain about moving forward with the series. But I'm so, so glad I did! Captive kept me on the edge of my seat and refused to stop messing with my head until the very last page.

I'm still really not a fan of Kitty. In Pawn, she was boring and passive, which was bad. But in Captive, she either said she wanted to help, then backed out and refused
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

Pawn was my favourite dystopian book of 2013 and I couldn’t wait to dive into Captive.  I don’t think it was quite as shocking as I was anticipating the twists but I still really enjoyed it.  My quick summary of this book is I loved the pace and the action but I wasn’t overly attached to the characters (apart from Kitty).
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Well, this series continues to surprise me! I didn't expect to love Pawn, and I did. I expected a bit of a sequel slump, and there certainly isn't one. Captive was absolutely as action-packed and horrifying as its predecessor. The story does take a few chapters to really take off, but I was fine with that because I appreciated the little snippets of recap (they were placed well, it didn't  feel like a recap, but it definitely did the trick!) to help me refamiliarize myself with Kitty's world.

The Good:

Change of loca/>The one. love ,
Jilly
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, y-a
I am so torn on how to rate this book. If the author was setting out to write the most annoying, stupid, childish character that I hate more than anything, this book gets a 5. But, I don't think that was her intention.

I knew I was a dog person for a reason. I freaking hate Kitty. She is a total dumbass. Every decision she makes is like a two year old who does the opposite just to be spiteful while having no real knowledge to base her decisions on. She refuses to trust Knox in spite of everythin
Melanie
I think I liked the first book a little bit more but this was still a very promising sequel. YAY FOR NO MIDDLE BOOK SYNDROME. Kitty was the main reason why I didn't fully enjoy it, but everything else? ADORE. 3.5 stars.

RTC.
Mia
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this book was all over the damn place. First of all, can we just talk about Kitty? What a whiny, useless, annoying, brat of a character. Throughout the whole book, she just expected everyone and everything to bend to her will and do whatever she wanted, and she threw a tantrum every damn time she didn't, which ended up getting people hurt/killed and hindering the cause of the rebellion. And OHMYGOD do not even get me started on how she treated Knox for this entire book. This pretty much ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited and NetGalley.)
Kitty finds herself in hot water when she betrays Knox’s trust and ends up sent Elsewhere.
Can she ever hope to escape now?

I had issues with the first book in this series, but I actually liked this one better.

Kitty still was no brain scientist in this book, and she was certainly easily fooled, but I still liked her more in th
Tez
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
TRIGGER WARNING: Classism - it's the world-building's basis.

I came to Pawn for the Masking, and stayed for Elsewhere. It was fine.

Captive starts off...well, boring, until Kitty goes to Elsewhere. Here's where the story's flashes of brilliance occur, namely the cage and the dollhouse. The latter is particularly fascinating, so the time spent in and about the dollhouse is far too short. Hopefully it makes an appearance in the upcoming third novel.

Then a particular character dies, and/>
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin
Captive picks up shortly after Pawn, where Kitty has now succumbed to living as Lila Hart, while the real Lila is living amongst the Blackcoats, assumed dead at the hands of her uncle Daxton. Augusta is dead, and Kitty knows that Daxon isn't who he claims to be. After being on the verge of death, he seemingly remembers Kitty's betrayal, while Kitty was rallying supporters for their cause all over the country. Benji is now working as Knox's assistant, until Daxon realises his connection to Kit
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
If you had something to tie you back to your old life, would you keep it or destroy it?

Captive is a very worthy sequel to the first book Pawn. I really appreciate when book titles actually make sense and in this situation it definitely does. And I love it.

Something else I loved? Change of scenery.

Kitty is fed up with Knox having to treat her like she is a nobody and wants to live her own life with Benjy. When she decides to leave with him forever, she gets caught and after a serious of events, ends up in
Jamie
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting sequel to Pawn. Kitty is forced to step up and start taking decisive action. The problem is no one seems to want her to. The Hart family sure has there secrets and one of them is why they choose Kitty. Seems there is a bit more than what we get in the first book.

When Kitty finds herself in Elsewhere, she needs to learn who to trust. Or better yet: To trust no one. Betrayals are common place in this book. This book throws a few twists at the reader and keeps us on our toes.
Kristy (Book Nerd Reviews)
This review contains spoilers for the previous book.

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, it was a strong start to ‘The Blackcoat Rebellion‘. I enjoyed the storyline, and I liked the spunky protagonist, Kitty. I especially loved the conspiracies, the secrets and the power-games. And I was looking forward to more of all of this in Captive.

Captive picks up not too long after the ending of Pawn, with Kitty agreeing to continue with the rebellion as Lila Hart.
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library
<i>Spoilers for Book 1: Pawn</i>

SUMMARY
Kitty Doe decided to continue her disguise as Lila Hart, niece to the Prime Minister of the dystpian United States of America. That is, until she was caught snooping and promptly sent Elsewhere – the nightmare otherworld where un-citizens and the elderly are sent. Kitty discovers Elsewhere is more than it appears, and also holds a numbers of secrets she unravels one by one to uncover a bigger conspiracy than the o/><i>Spoilers
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I want to thank Harlequin Teen for providing me with a copy of this book for an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

After the ending of Pawn, I was excited to read this one. I flew through Pawn. And, while I didn't think it was the best dystopian I've ever read, I really did enjoy it. So I figured I'd be even more intrigued by this one and couldn't wait to dive in.

The book picks up shortly after Pawn has finished. If you
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
This sequel to Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1)? Good try. A for effort.

Captive continues the story of Kitty Doe, who lives in a caste society where your status is determined by an aptitude test and then tattooed onto the back of your neck. Because of some political issues involving the purported death of the daughter of a ranking government official, Kitty is kidnapped and her rank is changed. She is "masked" to look just like the daughter and set up as a puppet to further a corrupt official'
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Captive is the second book in The Blackcoat Rebellion series. There will be spoilers from the first book, Pawn. Btw, if you forget what happened in Pawn here is an amazingly detailed recap http://recaptains.blogspot.ca/2013/11...

This book is Young Adult dystopia and is again narrated by Kitty.

In the first book Kitty was upgraded from her level three and masked to look like the Prime Minister's niece Lila, a seven. She joined the rebellion led by Lila's fiancée Knox and her mother Celia.

Now in this book
WTF Are You Reading?
Wtf did I just read?
This is a case of curiouser and curiouser turning into stupider and stupider!
While it is understandable that a person is going to make mistakes. There is no reason that making mistakes should become one's only reason for being. Sadly though, this is the case for main protagonist Kitty Doe/ Lila Hart. It is in fact, her willful bumbling that serves as the catalyst for every plot twist this story has to offer.
Not to worry though.
Predictably enough, there is a
Faye

I don't really know what to say about this book. On one hand, I loved all the political stuff, but the characters and plot aren't the best.

But one thing that really pisses me off is the romance. Benjy is a nice guy, but too nice. And he has no personality other than the fact that he loves Kitty. And it seems that there's a love triangle, with how much time Kitty spends with Knox, but it's never really confirmed if either has such feelings for each other.

The political drama was fun
Tati
Nov 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one was hard to finish. I hate it when the main character is simply stupid. I can deal with naivete and lack of knowledge about something. Stupidity, though, is much harder to forgive. In fact, this image sums up my feelings about Kitty Doe:

description

Because the character was so stupid, the whole story was compromised. A little more cleverness would have made the story much, much better. By the time th
Jess
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is no character development.

None.

Kitty Doe starts off as a spoiled brat with the occasional lucky break and ends the series as a spoiled brat with a lucky break. How she is actually one of the leaders in a rebellion and the rebels haven't just killed her off when she has frequently proven that she refuses to follow orders and has no idea what's actually going on is beyond me... How there are two perfectly intelligent men swooning over her baffles me. If she showed improvement
Saniya
Jul 19, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Haha, my first thought after seeing the cover was:
 Amelia
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OKAY SO I HALFWAY THROUGH AND I AM DYING OF FEELS HELP ME
Claire (Book Blog Bird)

For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancé cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever.

But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she's accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can
Melissa
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mixed feelings about this second installment of The Blackcoat Rebellion series. I wasn't really driven to keep reading during the opening chapters of this story, but during the later chapters I couldn't put the book down. This story has great themes that drive the plot, and alongside those themes is a driving pace in the latter half of the book when I could never quite trust anyone in the story. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't say too much, but I will say that this is a story of loyal ...more

• Lark Ascending (Skylark, #3)
  • Divided (Dualed, #2)
  • Untitled (Annex, #3)
  • Creators (The Lost Souls, #3)
  • The Vault (The Farm, #3)
  • Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)
  • In a Handful of Dust (Not a Drop to Drink, #2)
  • Wings (Black City, #3)
  • The Defiant (The Forsaken #3)
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
  • Idols (Icons, #2)
  • Catalyst (Control, #2)
  • Invisible (The Twixt, #2)
  • The Aftermath (Aftermath #1)
  • Perfect Lies (Mind Games, #2)
  • Fugitive X (Revolution 19, #2)
  • Played (Hooked, #2)
  • False Future (False Memory, #3)
Aimée Carter was born and raised in Michigan, where she currently resides. She is the author of several series, including The Goddess Test series, The Blackcoat Rebellion series, and the Simon Thorn series.

QUEEN (#3 of The Blackcoat Rebellion) will be released on November 24th, 2015.

SIMON THORN AND THE WOLF'S DEN (#1 of the Simon Thorn series, Bloomsbury) will be released F

The Blackcoat Rebellion (3 books)
  • Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
  • Queen (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #3)
“The only thing that really matters in the end is how we choose to live.” 9 likes
“An armory isn't always made up of guns and knives. Sometimes, information is the most powerful weapon of all.” 8 likes