Start by marking “Tot. (Der dunkle Turm, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tot. (Der dunkle Turm, #3)

Tot. (The Dark Tower #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  152,074 Ratings  ·  4,592 Reviews
Die sterbende Welt, die Roland auf der Suche nach dem "Dunklen Turm" durchquert, nimmt immer groteskere Formen und seltsamere Gestalten an. Am Rande des Wahnsinns träumt Roland von dem Schlüssel, der aus dem Nichts des wüsten Landes auftaucht, um ihm die Geheimnisse des "Dunklen Turms" zu offenbaren.
Published (first published August 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Tot., please sign up.
Monica Mishra Just finished reading reading, started with the 4th one, 2nd one is my best so far.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Camila Ulloa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kemper
This book contains the biggest lie a writer ever told me. It‘s in the Author‘s Note at the end:

The fourth volume in the tale of the Dark Tower should appear - always assuming the continuation of Constant Writer’s life and Constant Reader’s interest - in the not-too-distant-future.

It took six years for the next book to come out.

Six. Goddamn. Years.

Six years may not seem too bad to fans of authors who only release a book every decade or so, but there’s a couple of factors that made this false sta
Stephen
Photobucket

DISCLAIMER: Many aspects of THE GUNSLINGER ACTION ADVENTURE EXPEDITION are comprised of potentially dangerous activities involving giant cyborgs, possessed buildings, demon rapists and extras from the cast of Deliverance, do you ken it. There is a risk of serious injury, being Roont or even Charyou Tree. Therefore GUNSLINGER KA-TETS WITH DINH ONLY. While training and remembering the face of your father can reduce the inherent risks, Ka is a wheel and they cannot be completely eliminated do you
Luca Ambrosino
English (The Waste Lands) / Italiano

Happiness while watching the drawing of the metal plate found on the just killed bear, happiness that I feel for the unpredictable and the inexplicable. My personal journey into the world of "The Dark Tower" goes on, together with the gunslinger, Roland, escorted by Eddie and Susannah, the two tale gunners recruited in the previous chapter, The Drawing of the Three. However, there is still somebody to recruit for the company to be complete...

In the author's no

Mark
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rated the Gunslinger 4 stars and I loved it. The reason I said at the time was that I thought that at least one book in the series will blow me away. So this is book three and here it is, a five star rating.

This volume of the Dark Tower brings all of the characters together. We learn about their histories, how they link to each other in their previous lives in 'our world' and what their role is as they join Roland on the quest for the Dark Tower.

Now permanently in Roland's world, although it h
Dan Schwent
After the events of the Drawing of the Three, Roland the Gunslinger has two people from our world along side him in his quest for the Dark Tower. However, he's also going mad because of a strange double set of memories in his head, memories of a boy he crossed the desert with...

The Waste Lands is probably my favorite Dark Tower book and epitomizes what I like about the series. It's got the lost technology, lots of action, more bits about Roland's world, and makes Roland's ka-tet complete. The st
Adina
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

I almost, almost, gave 5 stars to this one. I consider this volume to be the best out of the three that I’ve read so far. If the book had stopped midway it would have got the maximum recognition from me, no doubt. I love and hate King’s way of writing too much. He managed to keep me at the edge of my seat for 100 pages, hungry for more, promising my undying love and then, after the climax (the forth drawing), he slightly bores me for the next 100. Maybe the plot got too intense and he though
Jeff
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take the guesswork out of your next vacation!!

FORSPECIAL Travels and Tours presents:

Lud, the Jewel of the Send

Your Guided Mid-World adventure starts here!!

Charming Local Accommodations

- See the amazing, bumbling Shardik, Mid-World’s largest, comedic bear, searching for picnic baskets
- Glimpse (and maybe chat with) an elusive billy-bumbler
- Pick some devil grass. We won’t tell.
- Chat with the oldest people in Mid-World. Find out what their secret is to long life. (Hint: It’s not yogurt.)

Small
Delee
Fabulous buddy-read with my Dark Tower Posse: Quick Draw Stepheny, Jumpin' Jeff, Calamity (slow poke) Bev, and last but not least- Bronco Bustin Black Jackin' Jason- The name stands PERVERTS!!!!

photo 490c9dce-d2ec-44fc-bf4c-ef605e944546_zpss7tcm3gx.jpg

Five weeks after The Drawing of the Three- Roland, Susannah, and Eddie are deep into the woods of The Out-World- where they encounter Shardik- a ginormous cyborg bear on his last legs.

photo e67d78fe-7e4c-47c5-b390-6685d2da112e_zpshu4mxdxs.jpg

After putting him out of his misery- they realize- they have to follow the path of the beam to The Mid-world...

....but fir
Markus
"Behold ye, the return of the White! After evil ways and evil days, the White comes again! Be of good heart and hold up your heads, for ye have lived to see the wheel of ka begin to turn once more!"

What a journey! From incomprehensibly horrible to absodamnlutely fantastic to okay.

This book was all over the place. Both literally and metaphorically.

The first half is more of what we’re given in The Drawing of the Three. That is... a painfully boring story about Roland leaving his wildly interesti
Ms. Smartarse
The first two books painted an incredibly bleak picture of Roland's world. Said to have "moved on", just teeming with monsters, demons and the occasional unexpected horrifying incident.

As a passive observer, I could definitely see merit in learning more about it, but the highlight of each episode was the possibilit of leaving it behind for the relative 'familiarity' of New York. Granted, I've only seen pictures of the city, but compared to the horror of fighting and eating lobstrosities on a da
Algernon
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

Some day if there’s time, I’ll tell you all the old stories ... the ones I know, at least. They form a large tapestry, one which is beautiful but very sad.

Some fine day ... but not today and not in this third installment of the Dark Tower series. For now, Roland and his friends are too busy doing nothing much for about six hundred pages. They travel, they fight the ocassional monster or deranged mob leader, the sit by the campfire and have some obscure nightmares and prophetic visions. All wra
Stepheny

The Waste Lands is the third installment in the Dark Tower series. I’ve been through this series so many times over the years I have lost count. But what has made this trip so important is all of the wonderful people I have gotten to take along the Path of the Beam. I would like to thank my posse for allowing me to hold their hands and guide them on this most epic of quests. Rootin’ Tootin Pistol Packin’ Delee, Jumpin’ Jeff , Calamity Bev and last but certainly not least, Bronco Bust
R.K. Gold
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual I have nothing but positive things to say about this book. Well, actually there is one negative and that's the ending. It was of course an incomplete work ending at a climax, however, since it's not 1991 anymore and I do not have to wait years for a new book to come out, I will not fault King for this. In fact, I will look at it as a positive, for I cannot wait to begin book 4.

Mid-world is continuing to grow, and the questions to its existence continue to be answered. It's funny, while
Will M.
The thing with this series is that it just gets better along the way.

This review might contain some spoilers? I'm not sure if some people would consider them as spoilers, so read at your own risk! You've been warned.

The most amazing thing about this book would be the fact that Jake fucking Chambers is back! If you've read my review of The Gunslinger (book 1) then you'd know how much I love that kid. We can be friends again King, that much I can say.
(view spoiler)
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3), Stephen King
The Waste Lands (subtitled "Redemption") is a fantasy novel by American writer Stephen King, the third book of The Dark Tower series. The original limited edition hardcover featuring full-color illustrations by Ned Dameron was published in 1991 by Grant. The book was reissued in 2003 to coincide with the publication of The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla. The story begins five weeks after the end of The Drawing of the Three. Roland, Susannah, a
Apatt
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“Ka—the word you think of as ‘destiny,’ Eddie, although the actual meaning is much more complex and hard to define, as is almost always the case with words of the High Speech. And tet, which means a group of people with the same interests and goals. We three are a tet, for instance. Ka-tet is the place where many lives are joined by fate.”

This is the book where Roland’s ka-tet is fully formed*, with the addition of eleven years old Jake Chambers and Oy the billy-bumbler (a Mid-World species).

Ka
Emma
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars and I was frustrated enough with this volume in the continuing saga NOT to round up to 4. Steven King has a reputation for waffling, but this is the first time in the Dark Tower series, where I really felt the reader suffered because of it. I loved Oy the Bumbler.
Had I not been listening to this rather than simply reading it, I am not at all sure I would have finished it.
I consider myself very lucky not to have to wait the many years between the writing of this novel and the next in t
Char
Even though I'm not crazy about this narrator, Frank Muller, I ended up giving my audio re-read of this book an extra star.

All my old friends are together again: Roland, Susannah, Eddie, Jack and even Oy. (I forgot how much I loved Oy and his golden eyes!) Even some of my old enemies are here, Gasher and Blane the Mono.

It's nice re-reading these via audio, even if I have to wait a few weeks in between books while waiting for the next audio book to come in to the library. This time I don't have
Lynn
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, kindle
I loved this book. I love the connections between the characters' past lives and between Mid-World and Our When. I also felt a strong link to other Stephen King books: a mansion in Brooklyn comes to life and it was The Overlook all over again for me. The middle of the book (the mansion part) was the most amazing part of a completely amazing story. It could have just ended there for me emotionally, but it's all about the quest. So, onward to Lud which brings every nuked out NYC full of mutants an ...more
Nikoleta
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, fantasy
Ο Ρόλαντ της Γαλαάδ, από το πρώτο βιβλίο της σειράς μας έμαθε ότι για να φτάσει στον προορισμό του μπορεί να κάνει τα πάντα, να υπομείνει τα πάντα να θυσιάσει τα πάντα… ακόμη και όσα αγαπά.
Να όμως που στο βιβλίο «Οι ρημαγμένοι τόποι» τα πάντα σε αυτό το ταξίδι ανατρέπονται, ο Ρόλαντ εκτός από αγάπη (την οποία μπορεί να θυσιάσει), νιώθει ότι έχει και ένα χρέος… και έτσι δίνει μία υπόσχεση, μια υπόσχεση που γνωρίζει ότι είναι αμφίβολο ότι μπορεί να την κρατήσει. Πλέον όμως δεν είναι μόνος του, η
Ashley Daviau
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly think this might just be my favourite book out of this series. I say might because I must admit, my memory of the books that follow IS quite vague. So I might end up loving them even more than this one.

But I somehow doubt it because this magnificent book reintroduces one of my favourite characters from the series, introduces another favourite character AND introduces my favourite "villain" from this series. I won't name any names because I don't want to spoil it for anyone!

I also th
Thanos
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Τρίτο βιβλίο της σειράς και εδώ ο King χτίζει. Και χτίζει. Και χτίζει. Και χτίζει. Είναι ένα βιβλίο που σε ετοιμάζει για τα επόμενα. Δεν έχει ιδιαίτερη δράση (εκτός από το τέλος) και σε μερικά σημεία καταντάει και κουραστικό αλλά αυτό δεν μειώνει την αξία του. Μέχρι στιγμής θεωρώ πως είναι το πιο αδύνατο από τα τρία γιατί θα μπορούσε να αποτελείται από λιγότερες σελίδες χωρίς να χάσεις κάτι ιδιαίτερο. Βέβαια από την άλλη, μέσα σε όλο αυτόν τον όγκο του βιβλίου, ο King σε μεταφέρει απόλυτα στα μέ ...more
Kyriakos Sorokkou
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DTProject2017 | Book 3

It was in August 2012 when I 1st read this book and now (almost) 5 years later, with a better command of the English language I see many things in a much different way than what it was when I was reading it for the 1st time. I saw different landscapes, different views of the city and train station etc.

Here we see Roland (The Gunslinger) with the people he drew in the previous book from our world to his world moving towards their destination. Before they reach an abandone
Monty desai
[RE-READ]
THE DARK TOWER SERIES BOOK 3:

ROLAND AFTER SOLVING THE DRAWING OF THE THREE PUZZLE...FORMS HIS KA-TET.
KA-TET THEN FACE SHARDIK THE BEAR, ONE OF THE GUARDIANS OF ONE OF THE 12 BEAMS THAT HOLD THE DARK TOWER...(THEY ENTER MID-WORLD)
AFTER BATTLING HIM KA-TET FOLLOW THE SOUTHEAST DIRECTION OF THE BEAM. ON THEIR WAY THEY COME ACROSS A NEW DOOR "THE BOY"..WHO IS NO OTHER THEN OUR CUTE LITTLE JAKE WHO WAS LOST IN THE WAY STATION ..DYING THERE..THE REUNION OF HIM AND ROLAND WAS SO MINDBLOWING...
Bubby-read with the ever-awesome Kat set to commence approximately November 17th...

Here's hoping we both love this one as much as The Drawing of the Three

Review... maybe...

Okay, so this one DIDN’T do it for me like The Drawing of the Three.

I have a reader belief that you may, or may not, share and it’s this: I LOVE brilliant writers! I love the spastic tug and weave of trying to figure out what this, obviously smarter than I, person is trying to pull forth with his/her story. I love the head
♛Tash
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
“And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust”
― T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

Review to come.
Ashley
It's so funny, as I'm reading this series for the first time, to see the (very) polarizing opinions about each book. One person gives it up after the first thirty pages of the first book because it's so fucking weird, the next wants to read all of them in a mad, passionate frenzy. One person thinks book two is the greatest (me), another thinks it's boring as shit (an opinion I can't understand). Yet another counts this here book as their favorite and reviles book four. Etc, etc.

I find this fasci
Cindy Newton
Stephen, really? Are you kidding me with that cliffhanger? I mean, SERIOUSLY--how could you? That's painful, right there. I weep not for myself--I'm sitting here in 2016, with the next book comfortably at hand. All I have to do is reach out and grab it, flip it open, and find out what happens to Roland and the rest of his ka-tet. I weep for those who have gone before me: those brave souls who purchased this book fresh from the presses, all crisp and new and inviting on the bookshelves; those Con ...more
Jason Parent
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
2.5 books. That's how long it took me to become a fan of the Dark Tower. I read 40 pages of this 3rd installment a year ago. There it sat, a plain donut among a box full of sprinkles, and jellies, and chocolate frosted oh-so-niceties, a shit stain on the underpants of my mental library collection.

And there I was, dreading going back to it, not really digging it but knowing deep down in my small, black, oil-pumping heart (funny, those adjectives work for many of my various parts) that I should li
seak
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, stephen-king
Another stunning installment in the Dark Tower series, The Waste Lands brings our quest for the dark tower that much closer, and actually giving it plenty of momentum which is, I'm told, possibly to be dashed in further installments.

Where The Gunslinger was a correlating collection of stories and The Drawing of the Three brings the main characters together, The Waste Lands actually moves the quest forward, gives some background (not a ton mind you), and gives us some direction.

I'm really enjoyin
#RetoTorreOscura: La Torre Oscura III: Las Tierras Baldías 12 30 Apr 05, 2018 11:24PM
Goodreads Librari...: Correction 3 16 Nov 28, 2017 10:39AM
snowremovaltoronto: Landscaping: Choosing Your Plants 1 1 Oct 31, 2017 11:24PM
Review on The Waste Lands 1 8 Oct 23, 2017 01:00PM
Book Club: The Waste Lands 1 5 May 13, 2017 09:53AM
2018 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Waste Lands (Dark Tower #3) 16 155 Mar 26, 2017 10:11AM
Fantasy Book Club...: The Wastelands-Finished! Spoilers allowed 8 59 Feb 12, 2017 05:30AM
  • The Dark Tower: Treachery
  • The Regulators
  • Imajica
  • The Stand: Hardcases
  • Legends
  • Necroscope III: The Source (Necroscope, #3)
  • Sword & Citadel (The Book of the New Sun #3-4)
  • The Hand of Oberon (The Chronicles of Amber #4)
  • Night Visions 5
  • House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
More about Stephen King

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
  • The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Don't ask me silly questions
I won't play silly games
I'm just a simple choo choo train
And I'll always be the same.

I only want to race along
Beneath the bright blue sky
And be a happy choo choo train
Until the day I die.”
190 likes
“Animals don't know as much about jealousy as people, but they're not ignorant of it, either.” 66 likes