Jump to ratings and reviews

Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction

More than a mere overview, the book offers readers a strong grounding in the basic principles of Jung's analytical psychology in addition to illuminating insights.

Probably the best one-volume English language summary of Jung's thought. . . Stein develops the cartographical metaphor of the title by beginning with the "surface" (ego) of the psyche and exploring successively more complex areas, including complexes, libido thoery, shadow, "anima/us," the self, individuation, and synchronicity. The map soon resembles the multidisciplinary chart of a solar system more than it does a flat map. In each subject area, Stein draws heavily on papers that Jung wrote late in his life, but he sets these in the context of Jung's earlier developing thought. This method allows the author to demonstrate the interconnectedness and coherence of Jung's mature work. -- Choice, 10/15/98

Stein could just as aptly have named his introductory guide "Jung's Art of the Soul," for the course the founder of analytical psychology charted also has the intuitive sweep of an artist on an inner journey integrated within a systematic framework of techniques. Though acknowledging Jung's creative, intuitive approach to fathoming the mysteries of the individual and collective human psyche, the author presents a solid case for the basic coherency and empirical underpinnings of the great psychoanalyst's theory-counter to those who viewed him as more of a mystic or philosopher who espoused: "As within, so without." Territory consciously omitted from this psychic map concern his analytic practice and interpretation of culture, history, and religion. Organized like a graduate thesis, all the major concepts that evolved over Jung's lengthy career are lucidly summarized with some contextual details: ego-consciousness, complexes, libido theory, archetypes, persona/shadow, anima/animus, the self, individuation, and synchronicity. While this presentation is eminently more accessible than most Jungian texts-and Stein does preface it with personal remarks about his long-time attraction to Jung-those who seek a sense of Jung's own voice and personal development in his quest for answers to many of life's enigmas will have their appetites whet to explore further. -- From Independent Publisher

192 pages, Paperback

First published March 1, 1998

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Murray B. Stein

88 books134 followers
Jungian psychoanalyst, author, lecturer

Murray Stein, Ph.D.is a training analyst at the International School for Analytical Psychology in Zurich, Switzerland. His most recent publications include The Principle of Individuation, Jung’s Map of the Soul, and The Edinburgh International Encyclopaedia of Psychoanalysis (Editor of the Jungian sections, with Ross Skelton as General Editor). He lectures internationally on topics related to Analytical Psychology and its applications in the contemporary world.

Dr. Stein is a graduate of Yale University (B.A. and M.Div.), the University of Chicago (Ph.D., in Religion and Psychological Studies), and the C.G. Jung Institut-Zurich. He is a founding member of the Inter-Regional Society of Jungian Analysts and Chicago Society of Jungian Analysts. He has been the president of the International Association for Analytical Psychology (2001-4), and is presently a member of the Swiss Society for Analytical Psychology and President of the International School of Analytical Psychology, Zurich.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
59 (2%)
1 star
30 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 182 reviews
Profile Image for Mariana Ferreira.
363 reviews16 followers
April 13, 2019
Read to better understand the new BTS album, which is named after this book. Surprisingly thorough for such a concise book, it’s a good entrance point if you’re interested in learning about Jung. I didn’t bother with the last chapter, which goes into borderline religious stuff, but the parts on the soul are a satisfying read on both a psychiatrical and a philosophical aspect.
April 10, 2019
Thank you BTS for introducing me to this book. It was an amazing read and brought me closer to understanding myself.
Profile Image for Riku Sayuj.
653 reviews6,922 followers
May 20, 2015
`Ultimately,' wrote Jung, `every individual life is at the same time the eternal life of the species.'

This is a readable (almost) introduction to the whole of Jung’s cosmology. Partly defensive in its arguments, the book proves useful when it sticks to just presenting Jung’s thoughts and not trying to show how it is still in sync with latest research (esp when it tries to link psychology to modern physics!). Jung and Freud are best read as imaginative writers and it would probably be even more fun to read them while viewing them as collaborators or co-myth-makers. Stein tries his best to hold back from attacking Freud and explaining Jung, but the proverbial slips are a few too many.

The good part is that Stein is a good cartographer. Stein constructs the cosmology slowly with a lot of care and precision. He starts with the Ego and slowly introduces us to its Shadow. Then the Persona and the Animus are introduced. Finally the Self is brought in, the most delicate and easy to misunderstand concept kept for the last. Then we move out of the mind and into the realm of the outer world via Synchronicity and start exploring ESP and such phenomena. In the end, we conclude with the awesome picture of the Collective Unconscious that stretches from inside our psyche to encompass and create/effect the whole universe. It is myth-making at its magnificent best, who wouldn’t be impressed? I was.
Profile Image for Jigar Brahmbhatt.
295 reviews125 followers
June 25, 2015
I have now come to terms with the fact that I will never understand Jung completely. His writing is like a sprawl, going in many directions, and Murry Stein in a way affirms the fact that Jung, equally interested in spirituality and mysticism, has left myriad small lamps in the dark alley of the human soul, ever attracting young and curious minds to investigate further. To make sense of his writing is a job in itself.

This is a good primer to start with. Basic theories are explained well, and if there is something I want to take from this book, something which reinforces the central idea in all the Eastern religions, be it Hinduism, Taoism, or Buddhism, it is this passage:

"The infant is at first literally not able to distinguish where it leaves off and where mother begins. The infant's world is highly unified. In this sense the first stage of consciousness anticipates the final stage: ultimate unification of the parts into a whole. At the beginning, however, it is unconscious wholeness, whereas at the end the sense of wholeness is conscious."

Briefly expanded below are the stages of consciousness (please note that the stages are much more complex but I am providing a jist here):

Stage 1. Unconscious wholeness. The infant described above.

Stage 2. The infant becomes aware of certain places where its own physical being collides with outside objects. Recognizes difference between the "self" and the "other". Some objects in the world now are more important than others because they carry projections of libidinal investment. Parents become major early carriers of archetypal projections. "Daddy can do anything!" or "Mother knows everything!"

Stages 3. The shocking realization that one's parents clearly don't know everything and are anything but godlike. At this stage, the world looses much of its naive enchantment. Omnipresence and omnipotence are no longer granted to human beings (parents), but such qualities are projected onto abstract entities such as God, Fate, and Truth. Philosophy and theology become possible. Projections are invested not so much in persons but in principles and symbols and teachings.

Stage 4. The radical extinction of projections, even the theological ones. This leads to the creation of an "empty center", which Jung identifies with modernity. This is the "modern man in search of soul". Humans come to see themselves as cogs in a huge socio-economic machine, and seek meaning. One either settles for moments of pleasure or despair. Gods no longer inhabit the heavens. Values are understood to be manufactured. "Maybes" and "Not sure" take hold over the discourse. While this is an advance of consciousness in a personal sense, it is dangerous for the potential for megalomania, because of the "Anything goes!" attitude. This is Nietzsche's Superman.

Not everyone make it to Stage 4. Societies insist on clinging to Stage 2 and 3 out of fear of the corrosive effects of Stage 4. But it is a real psychological achievement when projections have been removed to this extent. Individuals start taking personal responsibilities for their destinies.

(This stage is similar to what existentialists talk about, especially Sartre's stance on total responsibility and his argument that in man's realization of total freedom comes the fear that there is no one to look after him, that he is responsible for all his actions. He summed it up thus: we are condemned to be free)

Stage 5. Here a person starts merging the conscious and the unconscious. A state similar to the ones Yogis or Buddhists try to attain in the East. In a sense, Jung is theorizing that which cannot be explained when a state of completeness is reached. He goes on to say that higher stages of consciousness are possible, via Kundalini Yoga and the like. In a sense, one gains wider ecological relation between the psyche and the world, so that responsibility of everything around oneself - people, planet, tress, animals - comes as a natural state. One is whole again :-)

Thanks to Murry Stein we have proper descriptions of the above 5 stages, worked out from various essays and papers written by Jung.

Jung's idea of synchronicity considers the larger interaction between the psyche and the world. When asked by a student about the boundary of the self Jung has been said to have replied: it is boundless. Isn't it the goal of a meditating Buddhist?

Towards the sunset of his life Jung had turned completely away from the sciences and was charting the territory already walked upon by mystics. His ideas on individuation and the stages of consciousness could easily pass on as a spiritual sermon. And that's where, I believe, his validity ended for hard sciences. I wonder whether recent neurologists make any use of his theories. They might enjoy reading him for the exact same reasons we laypersons do: for the ferocity of his imagination.
Want to read
March 12, 2019
Came here after hearing that bts is releasing their new album The map of soul : Persona
Profile Image for Martha Love.
Author 4 books258 followers
December 22, 2015
"Jung's Map of the Soul" is an excellent book summarizing the theories of Carl Jung. It was suggested as reading in the first year of the graduate Masters program I completed in Depth Psychology, but it was not the most introductory book on the syllabus and most of us read it after first reading a few other more simplified works by other authors on Jung. It is now, my favorite book of its type and I think truly prepares one to have the theoretical background to read and understand Jung's Collected Works. Stein does an excellent job of describing very complex Jungian concepts, including the psychoid aspect of the psyche (which I could never understand until I read Stein), the shadow, animus/anima, instincts, archetypes, the collective unconscious, individuation, and the self-regulating system of the psyche. If you will be digging into reading Jung's Collective Works, then I suggest you do as I did and purchase Stein's book as a constant reference to help with interpretations. In particular, I found Stein's writing invaluable in assisting me to interpret Jung's writing on the relationship of the psyche and body-mind relationships as it relates to human instinct and somatic life-energy.

Martha Love,
coauthor of What's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective of the Intelligence of Human Nature and Gut Instinct and
Increasing Intuitional Intelligence: How the Awareness of Instinctual Gut Feelings Fosters Human Learning, Intuition, and Longevity
Profile Image for z4z4z4 z4.
12 reviews8 followers
March 18, 2020
I have spent an incredible month with the complexity of Jungian theories. I almost gave up and postponed the reading a lot but the curiosity has defeated me. One of the references of BTS ‘complicated’ theory. A must read book if you have enormous curiosity with what behind BTS amazing connected line stories.

This book will give explanation about the collected works of C.G Jung as one of the influential person psychology field. If you are still feel strange with his name (caz i am) here is the short biography about him. C.G Jung was born in 1875 and graduated in 1900 in University of Basel, Switzerland as a doctor. Jung ever worked with Sigmund Freud and has several research collaborations from 1907 until 1913. He was known with his famous book “Psychological Types” in 1930. He dedicated his life in psychology until his death in 1961.

This book is categorized as self-improvement book which it means there is something this book will offer to the readers. Map of the Soul delivers to you about Jung’s theories in human personality and it gives clear summary of Jung works that was written by the author, Murray Stein with his 30 years experience in Jungian world. The book also leads me to getting know inside and deep of myself. A secret of self I never realized before.

However, I can say that it is categorized as a medium-hard book caz it might be difficult for some readers who have never or the first time to read a psychology book just like me. Also its added with many unfamiliar Jungian vocabulary for me. I should flip to the glossary many times to get the meaning of specific words. Moreover, it is also hard to follow the explanation and statement of the author and it takes much time to understand what the author gonna send to the readers. I am sure it will be great if you can fully understand the concept from Jung inside the book there will be something amazing behind that.

In this review, I will give you a summary of the book and also a brief explanation of BTS theory related with this book. Jung argue that human personality contains with several layers.

1. Persona
The first layers is Persona. The origin of Persona is based on roman term “the mask”. It uses for the actor who play in theater. Persona can simply defined as a ‘social mask’ this is what face that we use to meet the social world around us. Persona means how someone as it appears, not as it really is. Persona is a social construction to adopt in any situation, so thats why it is called as a situational character. Angel outside, evil inside. Who knows? Someone can be bad or good in any situational place. This personality is in accordance with moral and social norms.

The spoiler of BTS previous album Map of the Soul: Persona was actually already showed in Fake Love MV extended ver. . At the end of the video it shows Jungkook and some people wearing a mask. It represent Persona and it was true.

Also if you remember BTS performance at Melon Music Award 2018 , the intro also showed someone wearing a mask in front of the mirror and it changed several times which it means the way a person act in society can be different depends on the situation and how we should behave to be accepted. So one person can have a lot of faces. Interesting...

Taken from BTS speech at the United Nations for UNICEF , through his speech, the leader of BTS distinguishes himself into two. Kim Namjoon and also RM of BTS. “Kim Namjoon” can be assumed as his real self, a representation of human and RM of BTS is how he should act like BTS members.

Here is from the latest album Map of The Soul : Persona in 'Persona' Comeback trailer performed by RM. The lyrics really represent the Persona. If you listen to it and read the lyrics, it will clearly shows how RM feels with himself.

Alsooo again, if you remember Melon Music Award 2019 , the intro 'Persona' performed by RM also spoiled the next album MAP OF THE SOUL : 7.

2. Shadow
This sub personality is a pair of Persona but it is the opposite of the persona personality. 'Dark, immoral, heartless, cold are the proper name for this personality. Shadow is a part of ourselves that we hide and don’t want to show it to the world because it is a shameless part and it is not the best presentation of ourselves. Shadow as the deepest of bad personality. If the characters is integrated then someone will be very different from the average person.

This book explain that people will tend to cover up this characters from others with only come into being with honesty, empathy, and caring attitude. Shadow is formed from the development of Ego where everything which refused by Ego will become Shadow. It also can be considered as something which is not allowed by Persona. Both of it, Persona and Shadow are something ‘strange’ in Ego.

How it can showed up? The personality of Shadow will appear to the surface in certain conditions. In accordance with the examples presented in this book, Stein take the story of Mephistopheles in the works of Goethe, Faust (German folklore) , as a classic story of the Shadow’s figure. It is told that Fraust, an intellectual feel frustrated with all of his life. Mephistopheles invites Fraust to come out and enjoy what he has never before been through. Under the guidance of Mephistopheles, Fraust underwent a change in opposite character which was not supposed to be done by an intellectual. If someone fully imprison the Shadow, life will be on moral, but it is not complete. However, being open too much with Shadow can cause someone tainted with immorality.

In some cases, the dark side of human can be much extreme and negatively charged with high intensity so that it is impossible to integrated with any social accepted, Persona. This can be see in the movie of Joker. Joker 2019 portrayed more in-depth into psychology of the main character. Arthur grew up as a people pleaser, as what his mom wants. Arthur's clown represents his public face and the symbol of Persona, a face that he shows to other people. Besides, his uncontrolled laugh and immoral actions represent the inner of himself, the Shadow.

In the case of BTS theories, here BTS MAP OF THE SOUL : 7 'Interlude : Shadow' Comeback Trailer performed by Suga. Look into the lyrics, he tells to us about his struggle with Shadow.

However, beside all of the bad things about Shadow, the acceptance that it is a part of ourselves is the things we should do.

3. Anima/Animus
This is a complex problem. Jung’s thoughts are more complex than expected. I will try to present a brief explanation and hopefully it can be understood.

Different from Persona and Shadow which is separated in good vs. bad then distinguisher between Anima and Animus is polarization of masculine and feminine. The core is Anima ~ femininity | Animus ~ masculinity. Is this can be related with gender issue? or whether Jung is a supporter of stereotypes? The book will be explain more further to answer the questions. Each anima/us is on the subconscious of human. Every human has the characteristic that related with anima/us. Based on the book, Jung argued that every gender has the component and qualities of masculinity as well as femininity at once. Stein in accordance of Jung works link it with the fact that every sex has the genetic material both masculine and feminine. The empiric difference is how much women and men have it.

Explaining with several examples might be easier to understand, right? So, why we choose that person as our life-partner and not someone else? This has been arranged by imagination in our mind. Through this book, Jung argued that why ‘strong women’ is not interesting for men? And why ‘strong women’ tend to have interest in ‘weak men’. Sometimes they are being obsessed and filled with fantasy imagination to save that men from being alcoholic or other flaws. Or again, the ‘weak women’, her subconscious will filled too with imagination of competent men and find herself being crazily interested with heroic person. So, then in here they search something missing in theirself. The point is through this book in anima/us section, you will understand why we tend to search someone as our opposite self.

4. The Self
Last layers. No lie, this is the most hardest part to follow the arguments of the author. Jung’s
explanation is some kind of complicated to follow along. Stein as the author (which i believe) already tried to represent Jung’s collected works in an easier explanation. As what i read, this is kind of have a relation with God and religious things. Manifest of The Self itself is what Jung called Individuation. Individuation as a process of journey from childhood, a self-discovery step by step into the whole human.

The last two layers is still kind of blur to have a connection with BTS theories. It might becomes the next album concept.

If you want to dive into Jung world, next book to read is Memories, Dreams, Reflections by C.G. Jung. And some books of Sigmund Freud can be added to your list.

whoopp what a long text.,.,!!!
[probably__will be updated soon]

Profile Image for Morgan Blackledge.
551 reviews1,861 followers
August 29, 2019
This book seems like a very good summary of Jung’s work.

But I don’t know enough about the source texts to comment with authority beyond that.

The author Murray Stein is clearly a brilliant and a very competent intellectual, scholar and writer.

That being said. Speaking cautiously and purely from my own admittedly limited knowledge of Jung’s ideas.

I didn’t care much for this book or the subject matter.

Much of Jung’s ideas leave me cold as a corps.

The aspects of Jung’s work that I do find useful and interesting (beyond a historical sense) are isolated and taken with such liberal modifications on my part, that they doubtlessly bear little to no resemblance to Jung’s actual use or intent.

Take Jung’s ideas about ‘collective unconscious’ as an example. I find this idea somewhat useful and interesting.

I relate to this idea as (more or less) the implicit pressure culture and social factors exert on our thinking, feeing, perceiving and behavior.

But I get the sense that Jung thought of collective unconscious in a quasi ‘magical’ way, at least new age adepts of his work relate to the concept in that way, and that that type of thinking doesn’t interest me.

So why did I read this (long) book on a subject that doesn’t interest me much?

I read it in part for the historical value and in part because other aspects of psychoanalytic theory have recently become surprisingly interesting and useful in my work as a therapist, so I’m trying new things.

I also read it because I read one of Murray Stien’s other books, Transformation: Emergence of the Self and I was blown away by it.

Anyway.

That’s all I have for you good folks.

A cautiously tepid 3 meh-face emojis 😐😐😐
Profile Image for Ailin.
23 reviews
September 2, 2021
Murray Stein explains the basics of Jung on an introductory level, offering reiterations of Jung in a modern understanding as well as Jung’s contemporary.
I also really enjoyed the examples provided by Stein himself of Jung’s presence in modern culture, and applying his way of thinking to it, comparing well known stories and literature to archetypes, etc.
Reading Jung through this book, at times Carl Jung seems to me a scientist, at others a mystic, but this is essentially what Stein is trying to clarify.
Stein covers a broad amount of Jung’s theories and works, and while I am left with what could be a satisfactory understanding, I still feel curious to read more in depth on several subjects and works of Jung. This is a good thing, in my book.

I would look forward to coming back to this book sometime, especially should I have read and learned more about Jungian Psychology by then, and see how I experience this book the second time around. Perhaps I could appreciate how much Stein has summarised and explained Jung collectively even more than the first time.
Profile Image for Marina.
2,001 reviews310 followers
January 25, 2020
** Books 06 - 2020 **

Buku ini untuk menyelesaikan Tsundoku Books Challenge 2020

3,4 dari 5 bintang!

Sejujurnya ini buku pertama dari Carl Jung yang aku baca ini juga karena gara-gara K-pop boyband idolaku, Bangtan Sonyeondan a.k.a BTS pada tanggal 12 April 2019 lalu merilis album mereka yang berjudul MAP OF THE SOUL : Persona. Hal ini yang membuatku bersemangat untuk membaca buku ini karena jujur aku ingin mengetahui kira-kira apa tema album comeback mereka selanjutnya?? Aku anak Ekonomi yang terdampar mempelajari Ilmu Psikologi karena BTS! Dan bukan main aku membaca buku ini baru kelar setelah sebulan lebih lamanya *lemot sekali akutu sama istilah2nya

Setelah membaca buku ini rasanya semua kepingan-kepingan puzzle itu mulai menyatu jadi pada intinya peta jiwa manusia terdiri dari beberapa hal yaitu :
1. PERSONA : topeng atau karakter yang ingin kamu tampilkan di masyarakat agar kamu bisa diterima oleh orang lain
2. EGO : Pusat kesadaran dimana meliputi kesadaran dan alam bawah sadar manusia.
3. SHADOW : Sifat yang dibawah alam bawah sadar manusia yang terbentuk karena hal yang negatif atau sifat yang tidak membanggakan
4. ANIMUS/ANIMA : didalam jiwa manusia terdapat animus dan anima yang dimana arketipe sifat kewanitaan/feminine pada laki-laki disebut anima sedangkan arketipe sifat kelelakian/maskulin pada perempuan

Ada juga di tweet dari akun @army_society pada tanggal 17 Januari 2020 menjelaskan dengan mudah apa kaitannya Persona, Ego dan Shadow sebenarnya?
"Pikirkan EGO sebagai dirimu adalah seorang manusia. lalu kamu memiliki kekhawatiran dan rasa cemas itu adalah SHADOW dari dirimu. lalu EGO mencoba menutupi SHADOW itu dengan PERSONA yang ingin kamu tonjolkan sehingga hal itu bisa menutupi SHADOW yang kamu miliki. Maka itulah EGO disebut sebagai mediator dan disebut pusat kesadaran karena kamu sebagai individu yang memutuskan apakah kamu lebih condong ke arah PERSONA untuk menutupi lebih atau kurangnya SHADOW yang ada di dalam dirimu"

Aku tahu membaca buku ini saja tidak cukup karena masih banyak pertanyaan terngiang-ngiang dipikiranku karena menurut perkiraan album selanjutnya akan berjudul shadow! Ketika Bighit mengeluarkan rangkaian jadwal ternyata isinya voila! tanggal 10 Januari 2020 akan ada Comeback Trailer: Shadow dan tanggal 3 Februari 2020 akan ada comeback trailer: EGO.. astagaa berarti dua tema Shadow dan Ego akan berada didalam satu album. Aku merasa membutuhkan pencerahan lebih lanjut atas buku ini dan aku tak sabar menanti datangnya buku Persona : BTS's Album Analysis yang aku pesan dari @Saturnesss .

Terimakasih Shiramedia!
Profile Image for Vitalijus Gafurovas.
31 reviews27 followers
April 13, 2022
Jungas rašė, kad būdamas 25-erių, nesuprato Freudo. Kadangi Jungas, mano akimis, sudėtingesnis autorius už Freudą, nėra gėda, kai tau 28 ir ne visada supranti Jungą. Todėl tokiais atvejais labai padeda skaityti (arba kaip šiuo atveju - klausyti) antrinius šaltinius apie Jungą. O ši Steino knyga yra puikus Jungo požiūrio į žmogų ir psichiką santrauka su esminiais jo teorijos momentais.
Profile Image for Ahmed Hamad.
58 reviews6 followers
August 2, 2018
Carl Jung has been my favorite author for many many years now. No matter how many times you'd read any of his books, there's always something tremendous and new that comes to mind with every page. However, I've always had this feeling of being unsure if I understood what he is meaning to say and thought that I was maybe following my own speculative line of thought based on the premises presented in his work. For this reason, I decided to pick this book up and give it a read, and I am quite impressed by how comprehensive it is! I'd recommend this to anyone that is starting to read Jung, or trying to go over his ideas quickly, even if they're familiar with his work already. It definitely makes me feel a little bit more secure going back to read his books again.
Profile Image for Lisa.
55 reviews
August 22, 2009
Stein does an excellent job of summarizing Jung's views and research on the human soul and related topics. The book will give you much insight into Jung's contributions to psychology, and insight into how Jung's theories and writings have impacted the world as we know it.
Profile Image for pijaa.
53 reviews3 followers
December 3, 2022
it's really hard to read it once, so I reread every sentence about 1 topic at least twice.

btw, I'm not finished it yet. in bahasa there is 260 pages, and now I'm on page 208🥹🤟🤟

3/12/22

OK IM CRYING BC I ALREADY FINISHED THIS BOOK. the words in this book to heavy for me, I exhausted tytyty. but it's kinda fun I thought?? bc Jung really put effort and all his thinking on his life to make the theory in this book 🤔
Profile Image for LaviniaAlexandra P..
326 reviews2 followers
June 12, 2022
not bad, but i certainly hoped to receive more.
there are better introductions to jung. but, honestly, considering how many overviews and para-phrasings there are to the analytical psychology that he developed, i think the most useful thing remains reading the actual source.
Profile Image for Ivana.
24 reviews15 followers
June 27, 2016
Dragi Jung, tako slojevit, tako alhemičan, mističan i naučan. Za nekoga ko ga nije čitao najverovatnije i težak za razumevanje. Sa nekim njegovim idejama vrlo se slažem. Odabrala sam neke citate kao crtice za lični užitak i podsetnik kada prodje neko vreme od čitanja ove knjige:
Veoma ženstvene žene imaju mušku dušu, a veoma muževan muškarac ima žensku dušu.
U intimnoj vezi, psiha ne ulazi u mešavinu već samo ego oba partnera.
Ponekad sanjamo snove drugih ljudi. Ponekad drugi ljudi sanjaju našu realnost.
June 14, 2018
This one’s a really good introduction to the ideas of Jung. Murray did a very unique thing, in that he unified Jung’s seemingly disparate ideas into a coherent Whole—a terrifying Map of the Psyche that makes sense from a phenomenological, social, and even biological perspective. Thank you YouTube’s Academy of Ideas for recommending the book! A must-read for Jordan Peterson fans.
Profile Image for Brina.
357 reviews74 followers
September 12, 2021
4 Stars

Reading the first five chapters of this book catapulted me straight back to my educational theory classes I took at high school. Whereas we talked and learned a lot about Freud's approach to psychotherapy and analysis, I can't recall a single class during which our teacher mentioned Jung. Maybe he did mention him in passing because not only does Jung's Persona, Ego, and Shadow display a slight resemblance to Freud's Ego, Id, and Super-Ego, Jung and Freud were actually friends for a few years and corresponded regularly.

Jung then lost me in chapter six and seven. I got back on track in chapter eight but was a little lost again in chapter nine.

Even though the book was rather heavy and sometimes difficult to wrap my head around, it was interesting, informative, and at times even mind-blowing. It's fascinating how the human mind works. This is definitely not for BTS fans only. ;)
Profile Image for Hanifa Yasmeen.
67 reviews2 followers
March 26, 2019
Murray Stein is like the teacher with a calm presence, who's class you look forward to because of their firm grasp of the concepts and their clear explanations. Prior to reading this book, even if I had an inkling of Jung's theories and cosmology, Stein's writing helped me get a good understanding of Jung's works. I appreciate the way the author delved into each concept in systematic stages to make a coherent whole. The more complex parts of Jung's theories would require some re-reading from my end but I'd still recommend Stein to anyone looking into understanding Jung a little bit better.
Profile Image for Reyhan Ismail.
Author 2 books7 followers
April 5, 2020
Puncak teori Jung pada akhirnya sampai pada konsep Ketuhanan, filsafat dan dunia metafisika. Sebuah ranah yang tidak dapat disentuh oleh Psikologi. Bagaimanapun dalam buku ini, Jung berhasil memberikan blueprint warisan intelektual ke dalam dunia psikologi.

Bahwa dasar alam bawah sadar manusia adalah ranah yang sangat luas dan misterius.
Profile Image for Jara.
4 reviews
May 31, 2021
It was a great book and it has thought me many things. It was (for me) however a pretty hard book to get through sometimes. But I had lot of fun reading it.
Profile Image for Ihor Kolesnyk.
366 reviews
April 7, 2019
Перша частина книги доволі цікава і читається легко. Автор логічно впорядковує кілька ключових тем Юнга.

Але ближче до кінця нічого нового не прочитав, навіть дещо ускладнений у порівнянні із Юнгом матеріал. Сподіваюся, це проблема перекладу, а не оригінального тексту.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 182 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.