Start by marking “The Furies” as Want to Read:
The Furies

The Furies

America and Russian both explode huge H-bombs simultaneously. The tests go wrong, cracking the seabed, rupturing continents and engulfing cities. The Thames flattens into a flood plain, London is drowned. Now comes cosmic retribution - giant wasps, monstrous and deadly, directed by a supernatural intelligence, invade a reeling world. In England, isolated guerrillas fight o ...more
Published 1985 by Penguin (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Furies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Furies

Start your review of The Furies
ℜoxie -₮he ℛeader
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leonard
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Guardian's Keith Roberts obit called this "a failed attempt to produce a catastrophe novel in the vein of John Wyndham or John Christopher." I see it as something else: a catastrophe novel a bit in the vein of The Day of the Triffids, a horror story in which the denizens of the back garden turn against their English masters, and a catastrophe novel a bit in the vein of The Crystal World, a surrealist fantasia in which the landscape is transformed into the embodiment of a dream or nightmare—t ...more
Roddy Williams
‘We both watched the incredible death working its way towards us…’

America and Russia both explode H-bombs simultaneously. The tests go wrong, cracking the seabed, rupturing continents and engulfing cities, The Thames flattens into a flood plain, London is drowned.

Now comes cosmic retribution – giant wasps, monstrous and deadly, directed by a supernal intelligence, invade a reeling world. In England, isolated guerrillas fight on…’

Blurb from the 1966 Pan paperback edition

Roberts is at the literary
Antiloquax
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Run for the hills! Huge wasps are coming!
Cheryl
Dec 12, 2019 marked it as sony-or-android
Not Found. jo walton mentioned as 'cozy catastrophe' which may resemble 'optimistic post-apocalyptic' (or may not)
Jason Bradley Thompson
Jan 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
This extremely mediocre British 'cozy catastrophe' novel is only impressive for somehow beating "Day of the Triffids" for the most implausible setup: here, instead of blindness AND killer plants coincidentally striking Earth at the same time, it's planet-shattering earthquakes AND global swarms of semi-intelligent, killer giant wasps. The narrator, a reader-insert character with no family or background, survives the initial quake and must then deal with the wasps, who can't speak or manipulate o ...more
Malcolm
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
If I were to choose a book for every year of my life this would be in there for about 1969, when I was 15. This was not long after it was first published. It is a terrific fats-paced story about human endurance in the face of adversity. It is reminiscent of Day of the Triffids via early Dr Who.

At the time I had a friend who didn't share my enjoyment of books. He couldn't see the point as the books he had been offered were boring. I gave him my copy of the Furies and he thought it was great, it g
Martin
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shari Scott
This was like reading a ScyFy "creature feature" without all the terrible acting. Very enjoyable...the characters were interesting and the action never let up. My only problem was the ending "explanation"...that was a little weak and unsatisfying. Otherwise a very enjoyable diversion.
Alice Florence
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good! I'd have given it a 5 bit I can't really justify ranking a book about giant killer wasps as high as my other 5s. Yep, a book about giant wasps that take over earth. And it was actually a very good read! Mental!
Macha
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
his first novel. very pulp, dated writing. later, he got over that.*g*
Zantaeus Glom
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent yarn about the catastrophic plague of gigantic wasps which turns the earth into a veritable charnel house. Keith Roberts writes with great verve and alacrity.
Mark Phillips
Katti41
Aug 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Contemporary Brit...: The Furies 2 7 Feb 27, 2013 02:43PM

• The Lady of the Rivers (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #1; Cousins War #3)
  • You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum!
  • Mr Gum and the Biscuit Billionaire
  • Southern Cross (Andy Brazil, #2)
  • Beyond the Pill: A 30-Day Program to Balance Your Hormones, Reclaim Your Body, and Reverse the Dangerous Side Effects of the Birth Control Pill
  • Goodbye California
  • Fields of Fire
  • The Grand
  • Thrown Away: The Complete Post Apocalyptic Series (Parts 1-7)
Used These Alternate Names: Alistair Bevan , John Kingston , David Stringer

Keith John Kingston Roberts was a British science fiction author. He began publishing with two stories in the September 1964 issue of Science Fantasy magazine, "Anita" (the first of a series of stories featuring a teenage modern witch and her eccentric granny) and "Escapism.

Several of his early stories were written using t