Start by marking “Nina Kimberly the Merciless” as Want to Read:
Nina Kimberly the Merciless

Nina Kimberly the Merciless

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  306 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
She's on a mission... To kill the man who loves her...

Why?

Because he's an idiot.

Nina Kimberly The Merciless is the story of a teenage barbarian princess who must rid herself of an obnoxious royal suitor, replace him with a hero, and then grow into her destiny as a...

Well, that she hasn't decided yet.
Podiobook, 1 page
Published 2006 by Christiana Ellis

To ask other readers questions about Nina Kimberly the Merciless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nina Kimberly the Merciless

Gavin
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books, fantasy
This was an enjoyable YA fantasy/comedy.

The story followed Nina Kimberley the Merciless, a teenage barbarian princess, as she sets out on her first real quest/adventure. Unfortunately for her a delicate political situation means she is forced to take King Francis along for the journey. A real inconvenience considering the goal of her quest is to find a way to kill Francis, her obnoxious unwanted suitor, without causing a war between his people and hers!

The story was a ton of fun. Francis was t
J.L. Hilton
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Refreshing, laugh-out-loud funny, and unpredictable, this is an amazing first novel by Christiana Ellis. Before I was halfway through, my tween daughter stole it from me and read the entire thing in ONE DAY before I could get it back. And then when I was finished, she took it back to read again and to keep on her own bookshelf. She said it was better than "Series of Unfortunate Events" - which is one of her favorite series - because it wasn't miserable ("All that sad stuff gets OLD"), and it was ...more
Josh Hamacher
Jan 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: may-never-finish
I can not fathom all of the five-star reviews here and on Amazon. I managed to slog through about the first third of this book. I haven't yet given up and may come back and try to finish it but after that third I just had to take a break and read something else.

What don't I like? The plot, the characterization, pretty much everything except the actual writing. The writing is fine; simplistic, like it was written by a talented junior-high student, but perfectly readable in the "it effectively tel
Sara Testarossa
This podcast novel is at turns hilarious, exciting, and dramatic - sometimes more than one of those at once. I enjoyed the writing style, it worked well for the story in audio. The plot was a blast and took some great twists and turns. In terms of characters, I really loved Tiernan, his complexities, and unpredictability. I had mixed feelings about Nina for a while but she grew on me as she grew. I definitely understand her motivations, given her background, and enjoyed her as the central charac ...more
Bryan457
Nina Kimberly the Merciless is a barbarian princess who would like to kill the royal pain in the behind, King Francis. But she can't without destroying her own people in the process. So she sets out on a quest to find a way to kill him.

This podiobook has a gory beginning. Nina chops off somebody's head in the 1st paragraph. This is the only gore in the podiobook.

5 stars to the interaction between Nina and Francis, I loved that part. 3 stars to Tiernon the dragon. he proved to be a decent charac
Mike
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: podiobooks, indie
I really enjoyed this, in the Podiobook version read by the author, whose voice acting is remarkable.

The clueless Francis is particularly brilliantly characterised. I would usually be bothered by modern American slang in a pseudomedieval fantasy book, but it so perfectly conveys Francis's idiocy.

I occasionally thought that Nina herself was a little fearful for the daughter of a barbarian raider, but mostly what she was fearful about was not physical combat but relationships and complex social s
Simon C
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Generally entertaining stuff. I thought the ending was nicely handled and there was a likeable collection of characters. Perhaps the biggest problem I had was that apart from the very start, Nina isn't especially merciless and the book doesn't seem sure which way it should go and how far. I also thought portraying a character as a surfer dude just didn't work and became a bit grating. Overall, though, it was an amusing and quite original book.
Marciealana
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
She's not a princess, she's not a barbarian, and she certainly doesn't need to be rescued.

It's a light read/listen, but the humor is priceless. The plot twists are wonderful and a bit unexpected as well. The ending came all too soon and wrapped up a little too neatly, but left me hoping for more.
Nicole
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a recommend and someone said to check out common license books, specifically this one. I thought the story was fun, it made me laugh out loud a few times. I'm pretty sure I've been asked by King Francis before, lol. I like the dragon and thought the ending was perfect. Definitely a good book if you want something light and fun.
Ashley
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought a great deal of this book overall, but felt that the story dragged terribly with the dialog due to some of the excessive details of facial characteristics etc... I also felt that Nina seemed a bit dense at times when she was portrayed in the story to be very smart. Overall, a good story.
David Henry
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good story but like many books it ended rather poorly.
Deoro
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute idea and somewhat unusual plot. Light reading with lots of magic and dragons.
Alan
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: all-fiction
A fun comic fantasy novel. Longer review here:
Betsy
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reread this because I needed fun, hilarity, and a gripping plot. Nina Kimberley delivers all these things. Dripping, on a pike.

Doug
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story from Christiana !
Joseph Moniz
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it
It's a decent fantasy story that seems well suited for the young-adult crowd. 3 Stars to me is "I'd re-read it when I'm out of new books to read."
Abbey
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Fun, funny and original. I listened to the podcast from the author.
Kimberly
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I absolutely loved this book. It was fun and it takes a lot of work for the author to put this together. I think she did a great job and hope there is a follow up.
Davis Emmanuel
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was fantastic. I was fully engaged from page one and could hardly put it down. Fantastic book. Would love a sequel. Or prequel. Don't much care which.
J. Sterling Smith
Have to love a book that begins with a decapitation and just gets better from there.
Jared
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I'm not a big fantasy fan--more of a sci-fi guy then anything--but this was a hilarious take on the genre, an excellent book. Dare I say The Princess Bride of this generation? Yes, I do think I dare.
Lee
Jan 27, 2016
Arioch
Dec 16, 2014
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • The Case of the Singing Sword
  • Earth
  • Chasing the Bard (Fey #1)
  • 7th Son: Deceit (7th Son, #2)
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • Eden
  • Ravenwood (Tanyth Fairport, #1)
  • The Immortals
  • Singularity (The Archon Sequence #1)