Start by marking “The Secret of Happiness” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Happiness

The Secret of Happiness

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  201 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Happiness. It's what we all long for, what all human beings seek in our jobs, our relationships, our activities. We try so hard to be happy, and all too often we end up empty and unsatisfied. Why? Because, says Billy Graham in this classic work, we are looking for happiness in all the wrong places.

We haven't learned the secret Jesus taught in the Beatitudes – that true, l
Published September 7th 2002 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Happiness

Debbie
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Many years ago i was seeking happiness in all the wrong places. This book showed me a better way.
Linda
Jul 29, 2010 added it
In depth study of the sermon on the mount. Great basic book every believer should read.
Lisa
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not only did I get to read this classic Billy Graham book but I got to read a signed first edition copy from 1955 given to me as a gift!
Ashley Jones
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In "The Secret of Happiness," Billy Graham notes that the word "blessed" in the Beatitudes is from the Greek "makarios," meaning "happy." He then shows how the Beatitudes outline the secret of happiness.

In essence, Graham states that our happiness should be based on our relationship with the person of Jesus. The details of the book are around how we can mature in that relationship so that we can live a life of happiness--not the worldly happiness built on circumstances but the unchanging happin
Manuel
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is a great read for anyone interested in the sermon on the mount or for those who crave for happiness, the Christian way. However, the book looses the charm for me as it is too American centric. This is a problem common to all creations American. The gospel of salvation is universal and I expected Billy Graham, being the international figure he was, to be more universal in his writings. If you're willing to look over this small hiccup, this would be an amazing experience for you.
Prosper Azanuwa
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
True happiness is not tied to external things. For external things are temporary. Rather, it is tied to your relationship with God. No matter what one possess, if an intimate relationship is void, then true happiness is also void regardless of what such an individual possesses.
Jon McQueen
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful exploration of Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount". Written in Billy Graham's typically straightforward (but explanatory style). Some excellent insights which makes the book valuable for devotions, messages, etc. Good reading! 😊
Donna Miller
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book basked on the beatitudes. We watch the Crusades videos as well as
read his books. I get more from the books. We eventually read all his books and then start
reading them again. I get a lot from his books every time a read them. Thank you, Billy Graham
Rob Smith
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
'The Secret of Happiness' by Billy Graham is a firm treatise as to how to secure happiness through the Christian faith. Well reasoned and well written, this is a volume to make even an athiest think about how to better lead their lives.

One thing interesting about Graham's book is that it is a perfect example of someone obviously working through a well prepared outline. The numbered breakdown of ideas throughout the book along with the footnotes make this book easy to follow. The layout also mak
KamRun
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
آنگاه(عیسی) دهان خود را گشوده، ايشان را تعليم داد و گفت
خوشابحال مسكينان در روح، زيرا ملكوت آسمان از آن ايشان است
خوشابحال ماتميان، زيرا ايشان تسلي خواهند يافت
خوشابحال حليمان، زيرا ايشان وارث زمين خواهند شد.
خوشابحال گرسنگان و تشنگان عدالت، زيرا ايشان سير خواهند شد
متی باب 5،آیات 2
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, read-2008
This book looks at what the Bible means by being 'blessed' (or 'happy', an alternative translation) in the Beatitudes. Billy Graham takes one at a time in separate chapters, expounding on poverty of spirit, persecution, meekness, and so on.

An interesting topic but the presentation is rather shallow, with some rather cliched suggestions, and frequent repetition of the basic message of salvation. Billy Graham was, of course, an evangelist; but having written a book for Christian believers it seem
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
God is no respecter of persons. You deserve your just share of happiness. You have the same capacity for God as anyone else. Don't stand back lamenting your bad luck and your bad breaks in life. Be joined to the source of power. Take Christ's yoke upon you, "and ye shall find rest unto your soul"! ~ Billy Graham

Awesome book on what the Bible says will bring us happiness. True happiness. The question is, CAN WE REALLY BE HAPPY WITHOUT GOD?

Sanjoe
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
its nice
Angela Joyce
Halfway through this surely well-intended book, I realized why I couldn't continue: I don't trust anything or anyone who would make God small.
Kimberly A. RIce
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good book. Now I know the meaning behind the Beatitudes I learned in elementary school. I would read this again.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The Reverend Graham talks about God and religion in regards to being content with one's situation. This work is based on his interpretation of the Bible.
Jessica
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Some parts were better than others, but all in all, a very encouraging, uplifting read. I would recommend.
Doc Leonard
A good read - happiness is a journey not a destination. "Seek ye first the kingdom of heaven..." Happiness is void in the absence of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, be filled with the Spirit...
Phubc
Our copy has a slightly different soft cover than the one pictured
Mike Geeslin
Leah
Jan 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Name
  • Listening to God (Life Principles Study Series)
  • My Heart's Cry
  • Life Overflowing, 6-in-1: 6 Pillars for Abundant Living
  • Who Calls Me Beautiful?: Finding Our True Image in the Mirror of God
  • The Picture Bible
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Watchman Prayer: Keeping the Enemy Out While Protecting Your Family, Home and Community
Billy Graham was an American evangelical Christian evangelist and an ordained Southern Baptist minister. Graham is best known for his evangelistic missions or “Crusades.” He believed God knew no borders or nationalities. Throughout his career, Graham preached to millions around the world. He met and prayed with every U. S. president from Dwight Eisenhower to Barack Obama.

Graham authored 34 books,