Start by marking “The Secret of Happiness” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Happiness

The Secret of Happiness

Happiness. It's what we all long for, what all human beings seek in our jobs, our relationships, our activities. We try so hard to be happy, and all too often we end up empty and unsatisfied. Why? Because, says Billy Graham in this classic work, we are looking for happiness in all the wrong places.

We haven't learned the secret Jesus taught in the Beatitudes – that true, l
Published September 7th 2002 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Happiness

Start your review of The Secret of Happiness
KamRun
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
ای کاش کتاب‌ها تراشه‌ای فوق مدرن همراه خود داشتند که سرنوشت آن‌ها و احوالات خوانندگان را ضبط می‌کرد تا بعد از گذشت دهه‌ها، می‌شد فهمید کتاب چه مسیری را طی کرده، در دست چه کسانی ورق خورده و حال چه کسانی را دگرگون کرده است. این کتاب هم یکی از کتاب‌هایی‌ست که عمیقا آرزو می‌کنم از آن تراشه‌های خیالی داشت. سال‌ها پیش در دست‌دوم‌فروشی‌های حالا‌تعطیل‌شده‌ی میدان انقلاب پیداش کردم، خاک گرفته و پر از خط‌خطی و علایم نگارشی و غلط‌های اصلاح شده با مداد، که رد کمرنگ آن هنوز روی کاغذ زردرنگ خودنمایی می‌کند و ...more
Debbie
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Many years ago i was seeking happiness in all the wrong places. This book showed me a better way.
Linda
Jul 29, 2010 added it
In depth study of the sermon on the mount. Great basic book every believer should read.
Lisa
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not only did I get to read this classic Billy Graham book but I got to read a signed first edition copy from 1955 given to me as a gift!
Ashley Jones
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In "The Secret of Happiness," Billy Graham notes that the word "blessed" in the Beatitudes is from the Greek "makarios," meaning "happy." He then shows how the Beatitudes outline the secret of happiness.

In essence, Graham states that our happiness should be based on our relationship with the person of Jesus. The details of the book are around how we can mature in that relationship so that we can live a life of happiness--not the worldly happiness built on circumstances but the unchanging happin
Elisabeth Brookshire
Find your happiness

Happiness and a feeling of wellbeing can be elusive right now in this chaotic, in-your-face world we are living with. It is so easy with the rampant use of social media to compare ourselves to others and find ourselves lacking. That is not what God would desire of us. The Beatitudes offer practical advice on how to live a happy and fulfilled Christian life. Turn to Christ, kill that ego, and start living with peace in your heart and mind.
Prosper Azanuwa
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
True happiness is not tied to external things. For external things are temporary. Rather, it is tied to your relationship with God. No matter what one possess, if an intimate relationship is void, then true happiness is also void regardless of what such an individual possesses.
John Timothy
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happiness is very relative but once you get this book you will find that happiness is in you and your relationship with God. The book would help build your character if only you choose to follow as prescribed. I promise we will all get there.
Maha King
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and most blessing piece of writing. In this book lies the key to divine happiness, not one derived from earthly accomplishments or things that are temporary but one that is long-lasting; as taught by Christ Himself in the beatitudes-the sermon on the mount.
Jon McQueen
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful exploration of Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount". Written in Billy Graham's typically straightforward (but explanatory style). Some excellent insights which makes the book valuable for devotions, messages, etc. Good reading! 😊
Donna Miller
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book basked on the beatitudes. We watch the Crusades videos as well as
read his books. I get more from the books. We eventually read all his books and then start
reading them again. I get a lot from his books every time a read them. Thank you, Billy Graham
Jeremy Crawford
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Never been a fan of Billy Graham's preaching seeing how I'm a Baptist, but I really liked the concept in the book. Always loved the beatitudes.
MKay
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Timeless.
Tim Duff
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Billy Graham's unpacking of the Beatitudes.
Rob Smith, Jr.
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
'The Secret of Happiness' by Billy Graham is a firm treatise as to how to secure happiness through the Christian faith. Well reasoned and well written, this is a volume to make even an athiest think about how to better lead their lives.

One thing interesting about Graham's book is that it is a perfect example of someone obviously working through a well prepared outline. The numbered breakdown of ideas throughout the book along with the footnotes make this book easy to follow. The layout also mak
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, read-2008
This book looks at what the Bible means by being 'blessed' (or 'happy', an alternative translation) in the Beatitudes. Billy Graham takes one at a time in separate chapters, expounding on poverty of spirit, persecution, meekness, and so on.

An interesting topic but the presentation is rather shallow, with some rather cliched suggestions, and frequent repetition of the basic message of salvation. Billy Graham was, of course, an evangelist; but having written a book for Christian believers it seem
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
God is no respecter of persons. You deserve your just share of happiness. You have the same capacity for God as anyone else. Don't stand back lamenting your bad luck and your bad breaks in life. Be joined to the source of power. Take Christ's yoke upon you, "and ye shall find rest unto your soul"! ~ Billy Graham

Awesome book on what the Bible says will bring us happiness. True happiness. The question is, CAN WE REALLY BE HAPPY WITHOUT GOD?

Sanjoe
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
its nice
Angela Joyce
Halfway through this surely well-intended book, I realized why I couldn't continue: I don't trust anything or anyone who would make God small.
Kimberly A. RIce
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good book. Now I know the meaning behind the Beatitudes I learned in elementary school. I would read this again.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The Reverend Graham talks about God and religion in regards to being content with one's situation. This work is based on his interpretation of the Bible.
Jessica
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Some parts were better than others, but all in all, a very encouraging, uplifting read. I would recommend.
Doc Leonard
A good read - happiness is a journey not a destination. "Seek ye first the kingdom of heaven..." Happiness is void in the absence of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, be filled with the Spirit...
Phubc
Our copy has a slightly different soft cover than the one pictured
Mike Geeslin
Jul 01, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Evolution and the Modern Christian
  • The Alter Ego Effect: The Power of Secret Identities to Transform Your Life
  • Every Woman's Battle: Discovering God's Plan for Sexual and Emotional Fulfillment
  • S.D.A. Bible Commentary Vol. 1 (Ellen G. White Comments Only)
  • The Pursuit of Man: The Divine Conquest of the Human Heart
  • Patriarchs And Prophets
  • The Sonship of Christ: Exploring the Covenant Identity of God and Man
  • Prophets and Kings (Conflict of the Ages Series)
  • The Knowledge of the Holy
  • Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats
  • The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine
  • Children of the Fleet (Fleet School #1)
  • Not God Enough: Why Your Small God Leads to Big Problems
  • Physicians' Untold Stories: Miraculous experiences doctors are hesitant to share with their patients, or ANYONE!
  • Forces of Character: Conversations About Building A Life Of Impact
  • Forever Changed: A Story of God's Transforming Power
  • The Enigma Cube
  • Is God Calling Me?: Answering the Question Every Believer Asks
Billy Graham was an American evangelical Christian evangelist and an ordained Southern Baptist minister. Graham is best known for his evangelistic missions or “Crusades.” He believed God knew no borders or nationalities. Throughout his career, Graham preached to millions around the world. He met and prayed with every U. S. president from Dwight Eisenhower to Barack Obama.

Graham authored 34 books,