Start by marking “Pound Foolish (Windy City Neighbors #4)” as Want to Read:
Pound Foolish (Windy City Neighbors #4)

Pound Foolish (Windy City Neighbors #4)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  234 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Published September 25th 2014 by Castle Rock Creative, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Pound Foolish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pound Foolish

Loretta
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another stellar book from Dave and Neta Jackson.
Greg is a firm believer in prosperity preaching. Nicole is not so sure. She feels that God's blessings are not necessarily financial. They can't agree on this, and while the cracks in their marriage are beginning to show, Greg gets ever more determined to bring about his financial blessings, making bad decisions.
This covers many of the issues which bother people today. It is gripping, although I sometimes want to shake Greg. The characters are beli
Lisa Johnson
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title: Pound Foolish (Windy City Neighbors Series #4)
Author: Neat & Dave Jackson
Pages: 332
Year: 2014
Publisher: Castle Rock Creative, Inc
Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/Pound-Foolish-D...

For the story to be thoroughly enjoyed in Pound Foolish, I highly encourage reading the other novels of the series in order Grounded, Derailed and Penny Wise before starting the latest installment Pound Foolish. Each of the novels has two tenets that run parallel the tales introduce various people in the s
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
POUND FOOLISH is the fourth book in the Windy City Neighbor series. I enjoyed the first book in the series Grounded, but didn't care much for the third book, Penny Wise. This fourth book is about a married couple with realistic struggles. An overwhelmed, loey, homeschooling mom who things her husband is gone too much working and she is in desperate need of me-time and a date with her husband. His response is typical male. Go on a short two day vacation where he fishes all day and she still does ...more
I just had the pleasure of finishing Book 4 in the Windy City Neighbors series, Pound Foolish by Dave and Neta Jackson – of which I have read the entire series (as well as all the Yada Yada books and Souled Out series) – if you want to see my other reviews here just do a quick search, I won’t bore you with linking each one. Pound Foolish is like the others a parallel book, so the characters from the other books will be seen and heard from in this book so I encourage you to read the first three a ...more
Jalynn Patterson
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

POUND FOOLISH Greg Singer coordinates consumer sports shows for powerboats, four wheelers, snowmobiles, and jet skis-macho toys for outdoor men like himself. But the job puts tremendous stress on his marriage with Nicole, who for the first time notices the handsome lawyer at the end of the block. "Greener pastures?" When the recession hits Greg's industry, he thinks the crisis is merely an opportunity for God to bless him with unmatched prosperity, a promise he hears preached each
Gayle Pace
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW

I would suggest reading the entire series of the Windy City Neighbors. This book is Book 4. The books in the series carry forward as the characters travel from one book to the next. The book is about the Singer family. The father is the bread winner while the mom is a stay at home mom and homeschools their two children. All was going well, until an employment problem came up. What will happen to the family? Will they fall apart or will they fight this out together?

The mother, Nicole Singer
Edythe Hamilton
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Nicole and Greg Singer are married with two children whom Nicole homeschools when Greg decides in an abrupt manner to plan a three day vacation for the family. While at Deep Lake, Greg receives a call from his boss regarding an upcoming vendor show and must end the family vacation early. Before Greg is laid off his job he suggest to Nicole to begin a home based business that could enhance the children’s homeschooling experience learning how to start and run a self owned business but is met with ...more
Julia Wilson
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dave and Neta Jackson's books never disappoint - and Pound Foolish, the fourth book in the Windy City series is no exception. I was blessed to receive a copy and I just could not put it down. It was wonderful to be reunited with the residents of Beecham Street, and to be reminded of other of the Jackson's books, as the Yada Yada prayer group and the House of Hope also popped up in the novel.
Pound Foolish focuses on Greg and Nicole Singer and their two children. If you have read any of the earlie
Victor Gentile
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dave and Neta Jackson in their new book “Pound Foolish” Book Four in the Windy City Neighbors series published by Castle Rock Creative, Inc. takes us into the life of the Greg Singer.

From the back cover: Pound Foolish

Carol
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW OF Pound Foolish- by Dave and Neta Jackson

Pound Foolish is the 4th book in the Windy City Neighbors Series. While 4th in a series it can be read as a stand-alone novel.
Having not read the previous three books in the series I was worried that perhaps I wouldn’t enjoy it or feel like I was missing too much. But it really can stand alone. The characters in this book are part of a neighborhood, really just those few houses that are on a cul de sac. It does reference other neighbors and while
Faith
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading a Windy City Neighbors book is like visiting friends who share their happiness and their problems with you.

The people of Chicago's Beecham Street understand faith, love, and second chances- and they also know about unemployment, domestic disharmony, and difficult days.

For the Singer family, they're enduring the latter situations. Greg is a man out of work, trying to replace his steady job with an energy-drink business.
He has more repairs waiting to be done than should be legal in one h
Kris
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the Yada Yada Prayer Group and am so happy to have the series take a bend but keep going. This one had me repeatedly saying, “No! Don’t do it!” as I felt the characters were so alive! What a great book!

Greg Singer is one of the neighbors in the Windy City series. I have read the previous ones – but this totally stands alone as it takes place during the same time period as the others but from a different character’s point of view. Greg lost his job when his company folded but still needs
Rachel Devaughn
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I have read from the Windy City Neighbors series. "Pound Foolish" is about the Singer Family-Greg and his wife and two children.

I had mixed feelings about this book. I really liked it, but it wasn't a "happily ever after" or "escape from your own troubles and read a happy book" kind of book. It was very well written and kept my interest, but it was sad (and a little close to home) to read about the struggles and misunderstandings with jobs, money, kids etc. Real life str
Sharon Chance
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Coming into this series at Book 4, I had a little difficulty getting into the swing of the personalities of the characters - ok, frankly, I didn't like them one bit! But then again, when an author (or authors in this case) can pull this kind of emotion from a reader, then they have done a good job of creating a realistic and meaningful work.

Pulling from their strong faith-based backgrounds and drawing inspiration from the dramas of the world around us today, the Jacksons once again prove why the
Joan
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
this is a novelization of a critique of the Christian prosperity teaching. A husband has lost his job and, based on the teachings from their church, gets caught up in get rich schemes. He continues to make unwise decisions, believing God will bless his efforts. There are some other issues in the novel too, such as the husband and wife working together to make decisions for the household. This would be a good book for men to read.
See my complete review at http://bit.ly/1v1gARN.
I received a compli
E
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
A great book displaying why prosperity gospel preachers are false prophets. Frankly, I suspect most of them aren't even saved. Regardless, it gives good Scriptural references, in context, that those preachers often take out of context. I will say, however, I couldn't stand the main character Greg. I just can't fathom a grown adult making the stupid choices he did. Yet I know they do every single day. Disliking him so much made the book my least favorite of all Dave & Neta Jackson's, but it w ...more
Clarissa
Again, this book had a different feel than the first two in the series. It is almost like the Jacksons are stretching in order to reach a different demographic. There were a couple of scenes I could have done without in this book which push it more toward 'adult content'--in a mild way but noticeable in Christian fiction. I was glad for the resolution to the story and surprised by one character in particular. Over all it was good but different and, for me, a little uncomfortable.
Kathy
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great read by a one of my favorite authors. The characters are so real. I couldn't stand Greg and I would love to meet Nicole. And of course I love Harry Bentley. Wish he was my grandpa! It's so neat to see how they have problems that most likely every family faces from time to time, and when they truly rely on the Lord and Godly friends they can handle those difficulties. Highly recommend, along with all of Neta Jackson's books.
Joy
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderfully inspiring book, the neighborhood that is so rich with awesome characters...some believers...some not. All at different levels in their walk in life. Harry Bentley's relationship with a neighbor began with an invitation to a men's bible study. Eventually the neighbor accepts, what's in between is an exciting tale of normal folks with normal problems that allow God to take control. Highly recommend this series!
Barb
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Fourth in a series; I couldn't relate as well to the main characters in this novel as I could to some of the others in the series. Greg Singer just wasn't a likable person, and I didn't have a whole lot of sympathy for his wife, either. I did appreciate that it filled in some of the narrative gaps from book 3, as it happened concurrently with that book.
Petra Mowrey
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am just such a fan of all the Yada Yada books. This one I really related to, which was frightening. I could totally relate with Nikki's position as wife and mom and unfortunately relate with Greg's money issues. I guess for the characters and myself good thing we are looking more to the goodness of the guiding word.
Lisa
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Didn't care for this as much as the other books in the series though the others were written by Neta Jackson and this was written by her husband. The main male character was a jerk and the story was contrived. Hope they stick to women as main characters in the future--I've really enjoyed the other books.
Jackie Wolfred
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Pound Foolish: Windy City Neighbors" Book 4, by Dave & Neta Jackson is an easy to read new story focusing on one of the families living on Beecham Street. Love this series. Can't wait until Book 5 is out.
Nancy
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had read Penny Wise first and really didn't like the characters then that are the main characters of Pound Foolish. Probably would not have read the whole thing if I wasn't on an airplane without another read for 6 hours. I've read most of the Jackson's books and this was my least favorite.
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good subject matter covered in this one and a fantastic ending!
Ellen Crain
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the book but felt like it was a repeat of information in the previous book in the series.
Linda Fitzjarrell
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I greatly enjoyed having two perspectives of events as they unfolded. Sure shows the difference in the way men and women process.
Vikki
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quite good. Once again, Jackson has written a story with situations a reader can easily identify with. Compelling characters, faith based with a satisfying (but in no way cliché) ending.
Dana
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Couldn't finish this book. Read half of it and hated it. DISAPPOINTED. Didn't do homeschoolers justic.
Cassandra
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series is so good! I can't wait to pick up the next book. This book is all about the Singer family and their ups and downs. Where will they turn when life starts to fall apart for them?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Lucy Come Home (A Yada Yada Journey of Hope)
  • A Promise in Pieces (Quilts of Love, #17)
  • Sunflower Summer (Postcards from Misty Harbor Inn #2)
  • The Finishing School
  • Surprised by Grace: A True Story of Relentless Love
  • Quilted by Christmas (Quilts of Love, #22)
  • The Proposal at Siesta Key (Amish Brides of Pinecraft, #2)
  • Where the Trail Ends (American Tapestries)
  • Big Truths for Little Kids
  • Ten Girls Who Made History
  • Miracle Drug
  • Hidden in the Heart
  • A Sky Without Stars (Quilts of Love, #15)
  • When Grace Sings (The Zimmerman Restoration Trilogy, #2)
  • Tessa: From Fear to Faith
  • Promised To Another (Amish of Seymour County, #3)
  • Queen of the Waves (American Tapestries)
  • That Was the Best Christmas!: 25 Short Stories from the Generations

Windy City Neighbors (5 books)
  • Grounded (Windy City Neighbors #1)
  • Derailed (Windy City Neighbors #2)
  • Penny Wise (Windy City Neighbors #3)
  • Snowmageddon (Windy City Neighbors #5)