Start by marking “Beyond the First Draft: The Art of Fiction” as Want to Read:
Beyond the First Draft: The Art of Fiction

Beyond the First Draft: The Art of Fiction

National Book Award winner John Casey is a masterful novelist who is also an inspiring and beloved teacher. In Beyond the First Draft he offers essential and original insights into the art of writing—and rewriting—fiction.
Through anecdotes about other writers’ methods and habits (as well as his own) and close readings of literature from Aristotle to Zola, the essays in thi
Published August 10th 2015 by W. W. Norton Company (first published August 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the First Draft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the First Draft

Pamela
As a former student of John Casey's, I offered a testimonial/blurb for this terrific book, and here is what I said:

John Casey is a classroom raconteur: erudite, passionate, fierce, and funny. How fortunate, then, that those who haven't had the opportunity to be his student can now be mentored by him via this collection of emotionally generous and vivid essays on the art of fiction. I tore through the selections, adding my marginal scribbles of surprise and delight. The volume is a treasure, and
Nicholas
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome anecdotal advice on how to write. Opening is great. He basically says no one can be taught to write, but they can be taught to rewrite.
Dave
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good takeaways here for the intermediate wrtiter, but mostly things you've heard before. I like the idea of learning another art to focus on your writing. Also gaining sympathy for your protangasit by having him/her try to do something.
Tony Blenman
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is quite academic, very good for someone whose major was English Literature, but would not be useful to the beginning writer of fiction. It struck me as a review of the many classic novels the John Casey has perused. I did find some nuggets in the book though such as, "a novel is a long piece of prose that has something wrong with it." Basically, the process of re-writing is paramount. In addition, Casey makes one aware of content challenges, and the free will of characters.
Carleigh Foutch
May 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
The art of fiction is too not read this book. (Is that too harsh? Oh well.) This is another one I’ve had on my shelf for a while, but I couldn’t even get halfway through this one. I found myself coming to the end of Casey’s essays wondering what I was supposed to have learned about writing having read it.

Different writers need different advice, but this one just wasn’t for me.
JLynne
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
This would be an excellent book for the English major. For the everyday folk, not recommended.
Andrea
May 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was so high-brow I felt like my eyes were bleeding. I was hoping to be inspired but after skimming for twenty minutes and not really grasping a word, I surrendered.
Dylan Perry
I don't know if I was in the wrong mood for this book, but I got almost nothing out of this.
Jenny
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you read only one essay from this book, read "Meanwhile Back At The Ranch". It's an extraordinary examination of polyphony in prose, and it got me to say, "Oooh, that's interesting", aloud, to myself, several times. The rest of the book is quite good as well, though it does strike a very academic tenor. I like that, myself, but perhaps not as much as I like the conversational quality of, say, BIRD BY BIRD, or the personal quality of King's ON WRITING. But there is a place for this book, for s ...more
Michael
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author John Casey's "Beyond the First Draft: The Art of Fiction" is a collection of 14 essays about writing. Casey, who teaches at the University of Virginia and a National Book Award winner in 1989 for "Spartina," delves into the various aspects of writing fiction and a few other topics. I particularly enjoyed his essays on "What's Funny," "Childhood Reading," and "Mentors in General, Peter Taylor in Particular." The collection is a reflection of what he has seen, listened, and learned during h ...more
Sarah Sternby
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book. It's informative, easy to read, and humorous. I'd suggest it most strongly to those interested in writing fiction or just interested in John Casey and how he has become successful with his writing.
Clifford
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very smart collection of essays on the craft of writing that showcase John Casey's erudition and wry humor.
Daniel Casey
informal, utile, & engaging, Casey's 'how-to' proves an excellent resource for writers, would-be writers, and readers
False
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book on writing by a writer. I've long admired his fiction and non-fiction. A worthy book to add to the canon.
T.
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction
A little too academic for me at this time, but had some good points.
Hannah Vanderpool
May 26, 2014
Mark Johnson
Jun 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Now Write! Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror: Speculative Genre Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • The Writer's Desk
  • Good Prose: The Art of Nonfiction
  • Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense
  • From Where You Dream: The Process of Writing Fiction
  • Several Short Sentences About Writing
  • Singing School: Learning to Write (and Read) Poetry by Studying with the Masters
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • Looking Beyond the Ivy League: Finding the College That's Right for You
  • Dialogue for Writers
  • Handling the Truth: On the Writing of Memoir
  • A Reader’s Delight
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • Business Writing: What Works, What Won't
  • Publishing: A Writer’s Memoir
  • Ten Windows: How Great Poems Transform the World
  • Seeds: One Man's Serendipitous Journey to Find the Trees That Inspired Famous American Writers from Faulkner to Kerouac, Welty to Wharton
  • Writing Deep Scenes: Plotting Your Story Through Action, Emotion, and Theme
John Casey is the author of six works of fiction, including Spartina, winner of the National Book Award, and, most recently, Compass Rose, as well as nonfiction and translations. Educated at Harvard College, Harvard Law School, and the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, he lives in Charlottesville, Virginia, where he is a professor of English at the University of Virginia.