Start by marking “Pig Tales: An Omnivore's Quest for Sustainable Meat” as Want to Read:
Pig Tales: An Omnivore's Quest for Sustainable Meat

Pig Tales: An Omnivore's Quest for Sustainable Meat

An eye-opening investigation of the commercial pork industry and an inspiring alternative to the way pigs are raised and consumed in America.

Barry Estabrook, author of the New York Times bestseller Tomatoland and a writer of “great skill and compassion” (Eric Schlosser), now explores the dark side of the American pork industry. Drawing on his personal experiences raising p
Published May 4th 2015 by W. W. Norton Company

Dacod
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Immigrants with shit filled diapers, piglets operating computers and crazy Danish people seeking to do things right. Barry Estabrook's journalistic endeavor to educate the average american bacon fetishist and artisan of such unparalleled jokes as "I love pigs....THEY'RE DELICIOUS. hee hoo hug!" is a comprehensive overview of all you need to know about pigs.
To begin with Pigs are intelligent--very intelligent in fact. Previously unbeknownst to me, pigs are emotional beings with individual perso
Shaun
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was a little leery going in that this book would be either all pro pork/meat or anti pork/meat. It really isn't either. The subject matter accepts the fact that eating pork isn't going away, but the book dives in to the question of how we, in the United States, process that pork from piglet to slaughter.

Barry Estabrook travels from California to Iowa to North Carolina to Denmark to research how pigs are raised for consumption. He dives into the treatment of raising pigs from small independent
Melle
Jun 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who eat pigs, people who don't eat pigs
This is a well-written book and, unlike Ted Genoways' The Chain, this book examines pigs as the amazing and smart creatures they are while still, like The Chain, looking at the ugly side of modern mass industrial hog-producing/-raising and hog-slaughtering. Estabrook also looks at people humanely raising pigs as a source of meat and also delves into problems with feral pigs. For me personally, this book felt like too much of a stretch to make omnivores feel better about their decision to eat fel ...more
Susan Rainwater
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Pig Tales is divided into three parts.

Part 1 covers pig intelligence (about the same as a 3-year-old human), pig lifestyles (lots of rooting), and the worldwide problem of feral pigs (they're everywere and very destructive). Part 2 covers the problem of industrial agra-biz. Part 3 provides a glimpse into economically viable, sustainable ways of raising and slaughtering pigs. Think Chipotle and Niman Ranch.

Part 2 neatly dovetails into one of my previous reads, The World of the Salt Marsh. Both a
Erin Poll - Tanis
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was fascinating, informative, and gave straight facts so you didn't feel like you were reading propaganda. It was also very well written. Never once did I get bored or feel weighed down with facts or information- all of it was told with humor and compassion. I'll say it again, fascinating! One of those books you wish everyone would read. Also one where you feel smarter after reading it, so that is always a good thing! I loved it!
Carol Weisensel
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Page-Turner

Well written, well researched, well told. This book has opened my eyes and touched my soul. I am grateful for Barry Estabrook's efforts to get this information to the public. I bought the book after hearing his interviews on public radio "Fresh Air" and "Science Friday." Miss Pig 890 will be with me for the time I have left on this planet.
Courtney
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first emotion most have when presented with a book on animal agriculture practices or meat processing is guilt. In Pig Tales Barry Estabrook challenges the popular notion that any look at the meat industry is a vegan-biased horror show. Estabrook presents interviews, eye-witness accounts, and legal proceedings in a way that allows the reader to see that while not all meat practices should be halted, the public is more manipulated by "big pig" than we realize. The most salient aspect for me w ...more
Books on Stereo
A very informative, borderline info-dumping, tale about sustainable pig farming. At times highly repetitive, Eastabrook is able to keep the reader's attention even though not much is to be gained.
Maria
This book has changed where I purchase meat. Knowing what I know now, it's worth the extra money to eat meat free of hormones and pasture raised. And if I'm honest, I already knew that corporate owned hogs had a tough life, but now that the stories in this book have sunk in I can't in good conscience purchase blindly.
Frank
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fortunately, I avoid meat in general. Knowing that China bought out one of the largest pork producers in the U.S. (Smithfields) would worry me if I ate pork. However, the chapters on sustainable pork producers (although their meat is somewhat more expensive) is a return to what farms were like just 20 or 30 years ago. I would hate to live near a giant pork farm in North Carolina or Iowa. Just set the sprinklers on and let the pig shit fly all over the fields. It sounds absolutely hellish. While ...more
Mary Westbrook
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
You know, I liked this book. A solid three-star pick.

If you've read some in the cannon of sustainable agriculture/industrial agriculture, I don't think you'll find a tremendous amount of information here that's new (sadly -- so much of it is depressing). It's still a worthy read, and a worthy endeavor by the author to shed light on terrible conditions for humans and animals -- to begin with -- and the awful consequences of "advances" such as low-does antibiotics. The intelligence of pigs was a n
Kristen Lo
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Pig Tales has an amazing amount of information-- and what's wonderful is even though the information is mostly terrifying, the stories are so well told that just when you want to put the book down in disgust, hope comes into the picture and you feel like everything could be ok. Also, the book is pretty empowering because it's very clear what we all must do. Factory farms are bad for people, animals, the environment, and the health of the world.
Jessica
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pig Tales is a thorough and comprehensive book that is also a quick and easy read. Estabrook divides the book into three sections - exploring pigs as animals, the world of factory farmed pork, and how some farmers are going back to traditional, sustainable hog farming. Pigs are easily trained and incredibly smart animals with an intellectual capacity comparable to a three-year-old child. Because of their high intelligence and social nature factory farming is even crueler for pigs. Estabrook goes ...more
Selim Tlili
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating look into the hog industry in America and a compelling argument for the dangers of prizing profit margins above all other principles.
I believe that Estabrook didn’t quite go far enough in his categorization of some of the troubles to which the factory animal farming model has contributed; he discusses environmental challenges but doesn’t go far enough in showing the correlation between consumer health and chronic illness beyond only increased infectious diseases.

Overall a fascinati
Ben SJ Hua
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pig Tales is of full of stories and experiences of factory farms for pigs. Pig tales has given me the knowledge to make wise decisions that affect my everyone around me and the planet. They also showed me the ruthlessness of the factory farms. I am filled with disgust as I learn their practices to reduce cost like cramped living spaces where they can never turn around. I feel this book is a must read when forming the opinion of factory farms.
Jostalady
I have a pet pig and recently read the Omnivore's Dilemma so this popped up in books I might be interested in and the algorithm was correct!

Barry chills us with peeks inside of large production operations and shows us some hopeful examples of smaller, sustainable farms free of the cruel practices seen at the large farms. I was especially glad to hear that there is a method of knocking the pigs unconscious before butchering that is reassuring.
Chase Meyer
Estabrook provided a good overview of the pork industry, it's issues, and potential solutions for eating in a more sustainable way. There was not a whole lot of convincing to not eat meat (which I enjoyed), but rather a presentation of evidence gathered by Estabrook. I honestly would have enjoyed more discussion on the politics that have allowed the explosion of mass production - but the overview and storytelling was fine.
Crystal
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A less biased book than others it paints a picture of modern hog farming in a mostly negative light but with some hope for the future. I would have liked a bit more about restaurants and consumers and their use of modern day pigs in this book but over all found it an interesting, in depth an engaging read.
Bridget Shepherd
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always grappled with the morality of meat eating and I appreciate other omnivores exploring the sustainability of what we consume. Yes, we can simply stop eating meat but there must also be a better way in my opinion. We don't need to eat meat every day but once or twice a week, isn't it okay to consume something that is grown and loved correctly? Great read.
Lethornton
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the way Estabrook balances the ugly story of our food system with the lovely people who are trying their best to make a difference. This is an important look at the pork industry in the US and some examples from abroad.
katie kirmse
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truth be told, going into this book I was already fully on the bandwagon of only eating meat from wholesome and sustainable sources, this book only gave me more scientifically backed reasons. I also learned about how people* are negatively affected by the industry as well as more regarding the animals' situation. I honestly just can't wait to have this book on my shelf when the industry has changed and these industrial farming practices, which are good for no one, are history! Read it!!
Karyn
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As sustainable pig farmers, this book confirms that what we are doing matters, even on our small scale. #happymeattastesbetter #chubbydogfarm
Koji Iwata
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading it, but I felt that the author's conclusion was not fully substantiated by the evidences presented in the book. In any case, it was educational, so it is good.
Kelly Wong
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Tomatoland more but I would still like all of my micro-histories written by Barry Estabrook (or Mary Roach).
Michael
An interesting overview of the pork industry, its impacts on communities, animals, and farmers.
Lucy
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book clearly illustrates the importance of regulations!
Missy Ivey
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You will learn a lot about where your pork comes from. This was easy reading. The author doesn't go around bashing farmers on how they are raising their pigs. He was truly on a quest to see if there were really better ways to raise pigs, and there were. He interviewed citizens way out in the country where hog farms popped up out of nowhere and how it affected their everyday lives. You will be shocked to hear their stories. It's a very interesting read.
Amjad Al Taleb
Quite an interesting investigation about the packaged meat industry.
It seems like it started as a long article then the author decided to turn it into a book by filling it about absolutely irrelevant details like the designs and colors of the clothes of people he interviewed and what was happening in the background when he was conducting the interview, like a dog was barking... So, the book is half information and half noise.
Raúl
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2017
One of my few 5's.

The author explores the different corners of a rather complicated topic without falling into clichés or pretending to write a manifesto. For me, the best is his way to talk about what's going on by means of the people living from that business.

I enjoyed every minute while enriching my understanding of the industry.
Stephen Simpson
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
While there were some very solid aspects to the book, I think it ultimately fails to live up to its title as a "quest for sustainable meat".

This book is basically an anti-Big Ag screed, with the "Little Guy" constantly described in glowing terms (several references to "handsome", as if how the people look matters) and Big Ag generally described as an amorphous, faceless, indistinguishable evil.

I am no fan of Big Ag as it pertains to animal husbandry, and the book does a good job of detailing h
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Lesser Beasts: A Snout-to-Tail History of the Humble Pig
  • Taste, Memory: Forgotten Foods, Lost Flavors, and Why They Matter
  • The Nourishing Homestead: One Back-to-the-Land Family's Plan for Cultivating Soil, Skills, and Spirit
  • The Meat Racket: The Secret Takeover of America's Food Business
  • Compassionate Carnivore: Or, How to Keep Animals Happy, Save Old Macdonald's Farm, Reduce Your Hoofprint, and Still Eat Meat
  • Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes
  • The Marvelous Pigness of Pigs: Respecting and Caring for All God's Creation
  • Change Comes to Dinner: How Vertical Farmers, Urban Growers, and Other Innovators Are Revolutionizing How America Eats
  • Salad Love: 260 Crunchy, Savory, and Filling Meals You Can Make Every Day
  • Cool Season Gardener: Extend the Harvest, Plan Ahead, and Grow Vegetables Year-Round
  • The Seed Underground: A Growing Revolution to Save Food
  • The Soil Will Save Us: How Scientists, Farmers, and Foodies Are Healing the Soil to Save the Planet
  • The Weather of the Future: Heat Waves, Extreme Storms, and Other Scenes from a Climate-Changed Planet
  • Food, Inc.: Mendel to Monsanto--The Promises and Perils of the Biotech Harvest
  • America—Farm to Table: Simple, Delicious Recipes Celebrating Local Farmers
  • The World's Best Brunches: Where to Find Them and How to Make Them
  • The Rebel of Rangoon: A Tale of Defiance and Deliverance in Burma
  • The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle Over Food Rights
The author of Tomatoland and Pig Tales and a three-time James Beard Award winner, Barry Estabrook is a former contributing editor at Gourmet. He blogs at politicsoftheplate.com and lives in Vermont.
“In industrial agriculture, a sow is nothing more than a piglet machine.” 1 likes
“Despite what they tell you, factory farms are not sustainable.” - Russ Kremer Frankenstein” 0 likes