Start by marking “Chesapeake Crimes: Homicidal Holidays” as Want to Read:
Chesapeake Crimes: Homicidal Holidays

Chesapeake Crimes: Homicidal Holidays

(Chesapeake Crimes)

The sixth volume in the Agatha, Anthony, Derringer, and Macavity award-winning series. This volume includes stories by: Barb Goffman, Rosemary and Larry Mild, E. B. Davis, Shaun Taylor Bevins, Cathy Wiley, Art Taylor, Shari Randall, Meg Opperman, Carla Coupe, Timothy Bentler-Jungr, Linda Lombardi, Debbi Mack, Clyde Linsley, and Donna Andrews. From the introduction by Rhys ...more
Published October 7th 2014 by Wildside Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Chesapeake Crimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chesapeake Crimes

Start your review of Chesapeake Crimes: Homicidal Holidays
Lynn Farris
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, short-story
The Chesapeake Chapter of Sisters in Crime's sixth anthology of short stories, “Homicidal Holidays” will be available October 7th. The editorial panel who selected the books include: Christina Freeburn, John Gilstrap and Alan Orloff. The coordinating editors were: Donna Andrews, Barb Goffman and Marcia Talley.

Rhys Bowen wrote the introduction and in it she states, “One thing I've learned during a long career as a writer is a good short story is one of the hardest things to write. To capture mood
Mark Baker
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, mystery
This collection of short stories focuses on various holidays. Yes, the majority are Halloween and Christmas, but you also get a few fun days like Groundhog Day and Talk Like a Pirate Day.

There were several stories about a woman getting revenge on a man, and those really bothered me since that kind of justice doesn’t appeal to me. However, the majority of the stories were fun with decent characters and good plots. The variety in stories and holidays makes this a book worth checking out.

NOTE: I wa
Trish
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was recommended by a fellow reader and more importantly included a short story by a favorite author/friend of mine -- Cathy Wiley. While I did think the book of shorts was off to a bit of a slow start, by the time I finished Dead Men Tell No Tales to celebrate Talk Like a Pirate Day (Cathy's story), I was sold. It was great to get a fix on Cassie/Whittaker while I wait for the author to finish the next story in the series. I also really enjoyed Donna Andrews Christmas Tale - A Christma ...more
D. Starr
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story collection.
Several entertaining short stories. Most are by authors I haven't heard of, some with no novel-length mystery stories to their credit..

The only one I disliked was written in 2nd person. This means rather than "I" or "She/He" the point of view is "You," Example: "You are looking out the window. You see a [whatever-it-is]" I find that technique annoying.

Others range from revenge-is-sweet to amusing unintended-circumstances.

Rating PG-13
Some strong language, etc.
Linda Brue
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, owned
The sixth volume in the "Chesapeake Crimes" series. A compilation of 14 stories by various authors, relating to mostly Christmas and Halloween, but featuring stories from other holidays also. Not all were A+ stories, but all of them were very enjoyable. The only one I was disappointed in was Donna Andrews' Christmas story--she's one of my favorite mystery writers and I expected something a bit better.
Mary Garrett
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Homicidal Holidays
Holiday . . . Cheer? From Groundhog's Day to Christmas, there are multiple ways to go astray, make trouble, get in trouble, and face justice. I enjoyed reading favorite authors' work and meeting new ones. I confess to a special liking for the four-legged accomplices, cat, groundhog, tamandua, even the occasional toad.
John Bohnert
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
These fourteen short stories were great!
Marian
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed most of these stories:)
Art the Bookworm
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic collection of short stories. Usually in collections, I can only find one or two that I like. In this one, I liked almost all of them!
Gail
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great entertaining set of stories. Groundhog Day, Talk Like a Pirate Day as well as holidays you might expect. Awesome
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Once again, I mainly picked this up for the story by Donna Andrews. That was a vignette with Meg and Michael right after their elopement, so while a little too short and simple, it was nice to read.

The overarching theme of this anthology is murder (or crime, I guess) during the holidays. That theme wasn't as noticeable as previous books in the Chesapeake Crimes series, though I've just noticed that they apparently did have a page naming each holiday (I thought those were the titles -_-)

None of
Keziah Cannon
As with most short story collections, this was a mixed bag. I picked it up for Donna Andrew's Meg Langslow story and I very much enjoyed that one. There were a couple others I liked as well, but most of the stories were unpleasant and, frankly, a waste of a read.
Helen
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who like mysteries, crime stories, and/or holidays!
This is a fun collection of mystery and crime stories! Each is connected to a holiday--even odd ones like Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Teddi
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I read some of the stories . I especially wanted to read the one by Donna Andrews but it was way too short and more like an idea for a story that never really amounted to much.
Wanda
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
Did not finish. I thought the stories were going to be murder mysteries. They are not.
M. Nelder
Oct 12, 2016
Lorenzo  Nicodemo
Feb 21, 2015
Dikay
rated it did not like it
Jun 25, 2019
Debra
Apr 26, 2015
Vicki
Nov 21, 2015
Debbi Mack
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Evelyn K Miller
Jul 11, 2018
Carol Turner
Feb 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Six Degrees of Separation
  • House Party Murder Rap (Evie Parker Mystery #1)
  • A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #1)
  • More of Poirot's Finest Cases: Seven full-cast BBC radio dramatisations
  • The Seagull
  • I Heard You Paint Houses: Frank the Irishman Sheeran & Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa
  • Midnight at the Blackbird Café
  • Terry Pratchett: The BBC Radio Drama Collection: Seven full-cast dramatisations
  • Letters from the Inside
  • So Much to Tell You (So Much to Tell You, #1)
  • The Golden Ball and Other Stories
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)