Start by marking “The Complete Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Complete Short Stories

The Complete Short Stories

Surreal tales of suspense and imagination from an American master

The Complete Short Stories is the ultimate collection of Edgar Allan Poe’s tales of the macabre—from the world-famous classics “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Pit and the Pendulum,” and “The Cask of the Amontillado” to lesser-known masterpieces such as “The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether” and “The De
Published September 23rd 2014 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1843)

Book of Secrets
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A motley collection of short stories from Poe (the complete collection!) – horror, suspense, comedy, detective, general life observations, even science fiction. At times the stories are too wordy, but Poe always entertains with his grand imagination. I greatly enjoyed Bob Thomley's narration of the audiobook. ♥

𝓓𝓲𝓪𝓷𝓪 | Instagram | Pinterest | ✿
Praiz Sophyronja
This guy. THIS guy.
Matthew
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This collection was really hit or miss for me. Many of Poe's most famous works are fun to read, but there was little here that changed my life. I've had many friends say they found Poe when they were in their angsty teens and that he was a breath of fresh air for the, so maybe I just came to explore him too late. I can totally appreciate his influence on modern literature, but many of his stories were too simplistic. In most cases, they were little more than anecdotes.

A few of them stood out to
Timothy Hicks
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been curious about Mr. Poe ever since having visited the historical town of Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina. It was there you could find all sorts of reverence and references to his works. You could go to the dimly lit restaurant of Poe’s Tavern and grab yourself an “Annabelle Lee” or “Gold Bug” for lunch. Go to the restroom and read his stories papered on the wall, while an eerie old sounding voice recites his work over the radio. Or mosey on down Raven Street.

In any case, long story sho
Morgan Mcbride
The purpose for writing this book was to entertain readers. Since Edgar Allan Poe wrote during the Romanticism era he focused on the Gothic part. This means that he would speak about the known and the unknowns of the world. He also focused on the imagination of the Romantics. For example; he had a bird that talked, a heart beat only heard by one man, and a devil in disguise as an ordinary man. His use of Romanticism helped entertain people with its ominous, suspicious, and chimera writing.

Since
I'mogén
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I managed to beat time and finish this before it was due back to the library in 2 days! (I was on my last renewal, oh my! That's never happened before).

I find this an interesting book to rate as it definitely has a very diverse range of ratings for each story.

I hope to do a few videos about this book, where I go into more depth about my thoughts on the individual stories, so for now I shall say that it was a very interesting read and although it wasn't completely the Gothic literature I was e
Donna
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the entire book, it is clear why Edgar Allan Poe is still so widely read and respected today, even though all of his writing was done in the late 1800's. There are those stories everyone knows-The Pit and The Pendulum, The Telltale Heart, Ms in a bottle (his first published work), The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Masque of the Red Death. There are other, equally macabre as well, like The Oval Portrait, and Elenora, Berniece and Morella, that are pe ...more
Michael
Sep 12, 2013 marked it as read-part  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to expand my knowledge of Poe somewhat, and this volume was useful for that. I'm not going to read the whole thing right now (it's too long, and I have too many other things waiting), but I will talk a bit about the stories I did read.

I think what surprised me the most was how reminiscent Poe’s style in some of these was of Ambrose Bierce. Bierce was born just six years before Poe died, so obviously it was Poe that was influential on Bierce, and not the other way round, but I read Bierc
Norma Christensen
Edgar Allan Poe is certainly an interesting character and I rather enjoying reading his macabre tales. I read The Telltale Heart, which seemed to be much scarier when I was young. I had also read The Murders in the Rue Morgue when I was young, but I had always thought the Rue Morgue was a morgue and didn't realize until now it was a place. Then I read The Fall of the House of Usher, which I liked okay and finished with The Black Cat, which was absolutely horrid and very scary. Great Halloween st ...more
Rivka
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We're delving into the writings of Edgar Allan Poe for our October book club and I'm glad for the chance to clear the dust from this book. His writings are haunting and not thrillers and I love that!

We get to choose our own selections so I started with his poetry (not in this edition). For short stories I began with "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and then had to follow with the other Dupin stories, "The Murder of Marie Roget" and "The Purloined Letter". Logic and mystery make a captivating rea
Annette Jordan
short story collections can be very mixed bags and that is especially true in this case. While there are some striking and chilling stories there are many more which can only be described as dull and tedious. wading through these diminished my enjoyment of the book as a whole. Also many of the stories are very similar which feels repetitive when reading. The highlights are The Black Cat , The cask of Amontillado and of course The Tell Tale Heart.
DeAnna Knippling
An eye opener to read ALL the stories together, as an adult. You can cut Poe' s work in a number of directions, and make him a horror writer, or a mystery writer, etc. But reading everything together--even the eye willingly bad ones--gives a greater richness to all.
Katlynn Sverko
It was okay, lots of description
Marcus Kaye
Let’s just say there’s a reason you haven’t read the Poe stories that you haven’t heard of. The good ones are great, but every short story he wrote definitely isn’t great. Pains me to say it!
John Adams
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Fall of the House of Usher and The Purloined Letter by Edgar Allan Poe

In The Purloined Letter, Poe is at his level headed and rational best. The narrator and Dupin are sitting by the fireside one evening when the Prefect of Parisian Police bursts in. He has a big problem on his hands: an influential woman has had an incriminating letter stolen by the Minister D. The police are certain it's in his hotel but they've applied all possible scientific method to searching the place and still haven'
Y. Yatsenko
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is comes from an unusual POV because I read these stories with a college class in mind - and so my interest in them is different from my interest in what would be a "casual" read. That said, I was surprised to find myself engaging with the stories beyond looking at them through just a historical lens; I find that several are as effective today as the day they were first written (unusual for Gothic literature, in my opinion). Some stories have dated, of course, but herein lies the par ...more
Carla
950 pages of Poe is plenty of Poe. Some of the stories, of course, are outstanding. I have to say, though, that there was a lot of middling stuff and some frankly boring stuff here as well. I enjoyed the Dupin stories, Poe being famously the “father” of the modern mystery story. He had a few themes (obsessions?) that ran throughout the stories, interest in the current scientific and quasi-scientific trends of his day, hot air balloons and mesmerism among them. He was evidently very concerned abo ...more
Jocelyn

Berenice
Morella
Ligeia
The Oval Portrait

Ones I have mixed feelings about:
The Imp of the Perverse
King Pest
William Wilson
The Oblong Box

The other stories and essays in the collection are forgettable.

Hazel Rainfall
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some amazing stories within the many that Poe has written. Among the intriguing stories are also some that I could hardly get through or found overused. Overall though, his works are a must read.
Kelsen
5 stars for The Tell-Tale Heart, 0 stars for the Narrative of A. Gordon Pym.

In hindsight I definitely should have gone for "selected stories" instead of "complete stories," but what's done is done.
Bill Fish
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about Poe? Amazing collection of short stories, plus the novella was a nice addition. Great gothic fiction from the master.
Jan De Meulder
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved his mystery tales. Didn't like his stories about landscaping.
Catherine (Totally Sexy Books)
Interesting. Would recommend
Richard Anderson
Great as it ever was.
Glendon
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My all time favorite author.
Renae
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the obvious classics (Tell-Tale Heart, Amontillado, House of Usher), Poe's short stories range from okay to really not good. I'd already read all the ones worth reading again.
Sharon Loredana Herrera
Finally
Ariel
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's very good! I would give it five stars but due to my lack of acknowledge with some parts of the texts he quotes I cannot plus I didn't like that much some but in general they're a good choice to read.
Kelly Zywiec
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poe is incredible - there’s really no other way to put it. He was way ahead of his time and while his subject matter is macabre, he put morals in his stories that often promoted good ethics. His attention to detail, character development and overall writing style are still unparalleled, hundreds of years later.
Gen Alvarado
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edgar Allan Poe often includes the theme of mortality in his works. Even further, he examines the power the dead hold over the living, the idea that death is not the end and the inability to escape death. Tales such as the infamous “Tell-Tale Heart”, “Ligeia", “The Black Cat”, “The Oval Portrait” and the “Masque of the Red Death” use literary techniques such as symbolism and imagery to further enhance this common theme. Poe effectively entrances his audience and influences them to ponder the ef ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Las armas secretas
  • Narrativa completa (vol. I)
  • Os Grandes Mistérios da História
  • Tres vidas de santos
  • Mar - Antologia
  • O Arquipélago da Insónia
  • Só
  • La perla y otros cuentos
  • All the Mowgli Stories
  • Historias de Terramar
  • Contos
  • Novos Contos Da Montanha
  • The Golden Age
  • A Short History of the 20th Century
“To observe attentively is to remember distinctly;” 2 likes
“Hayal kuranlar, sadece geceleri düş görenlerin gözden kaçırdığı pek çok şeyi fark eder.” 1 likes