Start by marking “The Ghost” as Want to Read:
The Ghost

Read Book* *Different edition

The Ghost

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
First published in 1907, The Ghost was the first of many "fantasias on modern times" written by Arnold Bennett. These illustrated his ability to produce not only realistic novels, perfected in his portrayals of provincial English life set in the Staffordshire scenery of his childhood, but also more sensational stories, written after his move to London where he developed a ...more
Published May 28th 2008 by Nonsuch Publishing (first published February 27th 1907)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost

Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Closer to 2.5 stars. I did like it, but the conclusion with the ghost was very anti-climatic. Overall I would recommend it, though.
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I was in my teens, my much older brother's job took him to live in the Staffordshire Potteries, and as a result he and my mum got passionately into the novels of Arnold Bennett. I tried one of them -- I think it was Clayhanger, which was in one of those really cool pale-blue Penguin Modern Classics editions at the time -- and basically got about thirty pages into it before boredom set in. Clearly not a novel designed for 15-year-olds.

In consequence, it's taken me a while (to euphemize) to g
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
A perfectly fine novel-- if the novelist weren't Arnold Bennett. Yes, that's a subjective statement and I apologize, but this is genre fiction, told compellingly enough, but there is the sense of a novelist for hire writing for public taste. A fine entertainment though.
Marts  (Thinker)
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
Dr. Foster meets famous opera singer Alresca and soon comes into contact with the beautiful Rosetta... The tale is an interesting one but it wasn't that exciting for the year's first read.
Dec 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: victorian
Lots of mood and yearning with plenty of well written scenes of London, Paris and Bruges.
The plot was a little bizarre, but I enjoyed Bennett's writing just the same and will read a couple more of his books.
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked the language, however, it took too long for me to get into the book, after 26 pages nothing happened to inspire me to read anymore, so I put the back away for a while until it calls me another time!
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
what a weird ending. but the ghost does scare me. a bit.
Suspenseful turn-of-the-century tale of love and jealousy from beyond the grave. Very enjoyable.
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
great pacing and an appealingly unheroic protagonist. Subject matter didn't appeal straight away but it's a skillfully crafted story that soon drew me in.
Andrew Bennett
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very atmospheric, some nice twists and an easy to read classic.
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Was expecting either a thriller or a mystery from how Bennett usually writes these, was not expecting a romance that had a supernatural element. Characters are appealing enough and some scenes were pretty good and didn't see a particular twist coming. One of Bennett's odder works since he usually didn't have supernatural stuff in his fiction but the title is at least apt.
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The plot thickens nicely. Kepts me on edge till the end. Although the ending did seem a little rushed. Overall...pretty good read.
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
First person narrative. Took a while to get really exciting, but ultimately a delightful haunted damsel-in-distress tale.
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: hauntings
One of the best ghost stories I've read yet!
Ken Daniszewski
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the first work by Bennett which I have read.

Bennett strikes me as a highly competent wordsmith, one capable of writing excellent prose.

But I think Bennett's talents were wasted on this silly ghost tale. The book lacks the any of depth one expects from a good novel. For example, there is very little of character development and little of exploring interpersonal relationships.

I should like to some day read a more serious, conventional novel by Bennett, if such exists.
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural
A very atmospheric read, the descriptions of the ghost will at the very least make a reader uneasy, especially if reading in a room, alone, at night. :)
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book - very well-written. A gripping and very frightening ghost story, held me in suspense right to the end.
May 12, 2009
Leanne Evans
Dec 16, 2013
Marcus Ashton
Jul 29, 2012
rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2014
Oct 16, 2013
Susan Davies
Jul 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Enoch Arnold Bennett (always known as Arnold Bennett) was one of the most remarkable literary figures of his time, a product of the English Potteries that he made famous as the Five Towns. Yet he could hardly wait to escape his home town, and he did so by the sheer force of his ambition to succeed as an author. In his time he turned his hand to every kind of writing, but he will be remembered for ...more
More about Arnold Bennett...