Start by marking “The Edge of Dark” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Dark

The Edge of Dark

Jane believes in keeping her promises, but a deathbed vow sets her on a twisting path of deceit and joy that takes her from the dark secrets of Holmwood House in York to the sign of the golden lily in London's Mincing Lane. Getting what you want, Jane discovers, comes at a price. For the child that she longed for, the child she promised to love and to keep safe, turns out ...more
Published January 27th 2015 by PAN MacMillan Adult (first published November 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Dark

Start your review of The Edge of Dark
AdiTurbo
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't for the life of me understand how even though Hartshorne keeps writing practically the same book again and again, she still manages to get me completely engrossed in it every time. The premise of her books are always the same - dual time lines, two women, the one in the present being possessed by the one from the past, who is desperate to tell her story. The present woman's world is unraveling as she delves more and more into the past woman's story, till the dramatic climax releases both ...more
Helen
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading time-slip novels; I love the sense of the supernatural, the atmosphere of mystery and suspense, and the intertwining of two lives – one past and one present. Pamela Hartshorne has written three novels of this type (the other two are Time's Echo and The Memory of Midnight) but this one is the first I've had the opportunity to read. I found it an entertaining, compelling and genuinely eerie read and I'm now looking forward to going back and reading her earlier novels.

The Edge of
s a t u r d a y   r e a d
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You can also see the review on my blog

This book is page-turner and unputdownable. I know that I say this quite a lot when I love a book, but I really can’t help it, especially if the book impressed me and this one did. A brilliant historical time-slip. There’s a sense of supernatural, mystery and tension, but also romance in the story, elements that made me certain from the start that I’ll like the story. The plot is great, so is the writing, the characters are so well sketched and the
David Reviews
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunting historical time-slip novel

The lovely Roz is haunted by the ghost of Jane who died over 400 years ago. Maybe Roz is losing her mind or perhaps she‘s schizophrenic or even possessed. She has increasing flashbacks as she slips back, again and again, into visions of Jane’s past life. Could Jane have been real or is she only part of Roz’s imagination?

This isn’t the first time-slip historical novel that Pamela Hartshorne has written. But it is the first I’ve read. This is indeed rather well
Scatterbooker
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Edge of Dark is mysterious time slip novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last page. The novel is centred around the enigmatic Elizabethan home, Holmwood House, in York in the 1500s and present day.

In the 21st century Holmwood House is being meticulously restored to its former glory by the pompous Sir Adrian, whose family is descended from the home’s original owner. The story begins when he hires London based Events Director, Roz Acclam from London, to oversee the
Anne
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quite a good thriller enough creepiness to keep you going.
Shari
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book had me at the prologue! If you enjoy books about time travel, this author is for you!
This is the second book I have read and Pamela Hartshorne has a gift to be able to wind a story between two time periods and it just pulls you in.

Roz is in the current time and she is offered a new job in the town where she was born. Her family died in a house fire and she was a survivor. Her brother was convicted of starting the fire.

Jane lives in 1549 and she makes a deathbed vow that starts her
Alison
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been a long time since I had to stay up late to find out the ending of a book! Very relieved to not be disappointed with the ending (although the modern day 'epilogue' was obviously where things were heading it didn't take away from the more dramatic ending to previous events). Interesting and creepy.
Barbara
A good story involving an old house and time travel.
Jo Barton
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Roz Acclam has just been appointed as the events manager at the newly renovated Holmwood Hall in the city of York, a fifteenth century town house, once the home of a prominent York family. From the beginning the dark and brooding nature of the house overwhelms Roz and as she starts to experience sights, sounds and sensations from the past, it is obvious that someone within the house has unfinished business.

In 1569, Jane is the eldest daughter of York butcher Henry Birkby. Her social standing
Maria Grazia
This novel shares much with the previous two in the trilogy, Time’s Echo and The Memory of Midnight - which I both read and reviewed - but it is not a sequel, nor a prequel, the three plots and the characters are not related any way.
The three novels share the geographical setting (York), the time-slip pattern (Elizabethan Age/present day), the presence of supernatural events and the fact of having two female protagonists.

In The Edge of Dark, the two heroines live in distant eras but share a
Helen
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Roz and Jane are two appealing characters - especially the latter -separated by centuries but interlinked through similar experiences. Another haunting Pamela page-turner. I can't resist her books. Some may say they are formulaic - two female protagonists, one in present day York experiencing time-slips into the doomed life of the other in Elizabethan York - but I love this formula! Plus York is one of my favourite cities and the historical detail is captivating - and this one features Tudor ...more
Deana
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit I couldn't wait for the latest novel.... And it wasn't a disappointment. I read it in three days just couldn't put it down.

Living in York it was wonderful to identify with the streets Roz walked. I could visualise so perfectly throughout the book which made it an added magical history for me.

Of three novels so far I found this the most chilling.... Can't wait for the next one!!,

A must read!! And more than once....
Vairavel
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I'm reading a book by this author and I should say that I liked it. Story narration is very simple even for a complex plot and so it was an easy and interesting read. The author portrays the characters in the story quite well and that keeps you engrossed in the book. Go ahead and give it a try, you may like the book!
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
The words "page-turner" and "unputdownable" are over-used, but I can't think how else to describe this. A brilliant historical time-slip story. I love the way this author writes, she really pulls you in, and what a story it was. Full of tension, it hooked me from page one.
Izzy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Possibly the worst book I’ve read in a long time. Very disappointed and wouldn’t recommend to anyone
Sushan Konar
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*Spoiler Alert*

I hate reviews requiring `spoiler alert'. For this one though, it's impossible to do without. At the heart of the story is an intertwining of two timelines, separated by several centuries. It is a rather familiar theme in Indian vernacular literature - `reincarnation' being the method used to intertwine the timelines (Sharadindu Bandyopadhya, writing in Bengali, was a master of such stories). Predictably, European stories use `haunting spirits' to achieve this same goal, as has
Sandra
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
another random choice of mine but the subject and time-slip story appealed to me, i was gripped from the start, and found the story very absorbing. Maybe to some people the idea of a person today being almost "possessed" by another person who lived four hundred years ago, albeit with a connection to the present, is a little far fetched but i thoroughy enjioyed this theme
Jane Watson
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book - another time slip book - Pamela Hartshorne writes these books so well and they keep you intrigued all the time. I just wanted to sit all day and read it but also I didn't want it to finish! Eagerly await another one from her.
Claire Menge
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful imagery and well developed characters gave me all the feels, and I enjoyed reading this book. It even had me staying up late just to find out what happened next, which is my telltale sign of a great book!
Mrs M-C
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book! Couldn't put it down and didn't want the story to end! Really liked the characters both past and present. Brilliantly written and as stated on the back cover - "A rattling good read"!
Éowyn
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc
Barbara Erskine-esque, timeslip novel. A good read on the beach, but not a great book.
Erin
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-listens
I enjoyed this one...I did it audio style. I've always had a soft spot for reincarnation stories.
LD Bee
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mellow dramatic but well written
Julia Ibbotson
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eerie, chilling and beautifully written, as all Pamela Hartsorne novels. I love timeslip and the interchange here between the ages was a real page-turner.
Magpie
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: July 2019

A time slip novel that features the story of an Elizabethan character being lived through the reality of a 21 st century character.
Once you have suspended your disbelief it’s quite a ride, complete with truly evil villains, a very well paced plot that just thrums along and some mighty fine world building.
The author knows her stuff and the place setting was first class. This may well be my one and only though as apparently Hartshorne writes the same plot in every book
A well
Helen To
Time travel books I have come across before; I have read plenty of dual narrative stories: but a time slip novel? Pamela Hartshorne's The Edge of Dark was the first I have read and it was a rollicking story involving secrets, scandal and long unresolved past conflicts, from four centuries earlier and more recent times, resurfacing again. The story draws you in and doesn't let you go; just like how the ghosts possess the modern day characters.

Roz Acclam is escaping the troubles of her marriage
Rosie Wylor-Owen
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read for a long time that didn't get sent to me on BookBub and found it to be such a breath of fresh air. I thoroughly enjoyed this book; a page-turner which hooked me from the first chapter.

The protagonist, Roz is introduced to us in the midst of personal turmoil, it felt like she tried her best to be indifferent to it or at least just ignore it. It took a little while to warm to her but by chapter 5, I was on the edge of my seat and completely emotionally invested
Louise George
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Edge of Dark tells the story of two women, born more than four hundred years apart, whose lives become interwoven through their involvement with Holmwood House, an Elizabethan mansion. Roz Acclam has returned to York for the first time since the age of five, when she was adopted by her aunt and uncle after her family were killed in a fire. She has no memory of the fire or the brother who started it but since her return to York, the memories that are overwhelming her are not those from her ...more
I was so upset when I finished this book! I'd intended to pace myself whilst reading so I could savour the story for longer, but "The Edge of Dark" was gripping - totally unputdownable - and I ended up finishing it really quickly. From the Goodreads description...

"Jane believes in keeping her promises, but a deathbed vow sets her on a twisting path of deceit and joy that takes her from the dark secrets of Holmwood House in York to the sign of the golden lily in London's Mincing Lane. Getting
Around the Year i...: The Edge of Dark, by Pamela Hartshorne 2 23 Feb 07, 2016 11:53AM

• Sleeper's Castle
  • The Ghost Tree
  • Tidelands (The Fairmile #1)
  • The Broken (Echoes from the Past, #8)
  • Is There Still Sex in the City?
  • Stoned: Jewelry, Obsession, and How Desire Shapes the World
  • The Time Traveller's Guide to Restoration Britain: Life in the Age of Samuel Pepys, Isaac Newton and The Great Fire of London
  • A Wedding in December
  • The Confession
  • The Beekeeper of Aleppo
  • Making Winter: A Creative Guide for Surviving the Winter Months
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2)
  • The Broken Man
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Labyrinth (Languedoc, #1)
  • Jane Seymour: The Haunted Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #3)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library #6)
  • Children of the Revolution (Inspector Banks, #21)
After a haphazard early career spent working and travelling around the world, I started writing romance in order to fund a PhD in Medieval Studies. Naturally, that didn't turn out to be quite the easy option I thought it would be, but I did in the end complete a thesis on the street and the perception of public space in later medieval and early modern York in 2004. My research formed the basis of ...more