Start by marking “The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #1)

The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1

(The Ancient Magus' Bride #1)

Enter the Magician's Apprentice

Her name is Chise Hatori, a penniless orphan troubled by visions. Sold as a slave to an inhuman mage, she is about to begin a strange new life, filled with magic, fairies, and other beings of a fantastical nature.
Published May 12th 2015 by Seven Seas (first published April 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Effy This is subjective of course, but I got very strong vibes of 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Diana Wynne Jones while reading this. Not the same of course, b…moreThis is subjective of course, but I got very strong vibes of 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Diana Wynne Jones while reading this. Not the same of course, but it has a very similar magical, everything is different but not, with really wonderful interesting characters. I would check that out :-)(less)
Hase If you're wondering where to get it then there's Amazon, Libraries, and Google.…moreIf you're wondering where to get it then there's Amazon, Libraries, and Google.(less)
Black Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoPandora Hearts 1巻 by Jun MochizukiFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaA Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru MoriSailor Moon, Vol. 1 by Naoko Takeuchi
Best Manga Art
282 books — 271 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
1,003 books — 3,761 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #1)
Lois Bujold
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers interested in unusual romances
OK, this... is what I get for browsing Amazon after midnight when the gremlins are abroad, but anyway, this one is intriguing. I was looking for a counter to the latest very shonen thing I'd read, and this was.

Someone once said the two ur-models for romance are Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast and this tale falls squarely into the second camp. It is also, I suspect, informed by the The Tale of Genji romance model, less known in the West. Some other reviewers who are having very 21st-Century f
Mary
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"It's true that the world in which you grew up was not kind...but it was not your enemy. There's already a key in the lock that holds you. All you need do now is open it."

Wow. If you like Harry Potter or A Darker Shade of Magic or anything with a fantastical twist that delves deep into folklore, the surreal and makes you want to live there, this is the manga-or book-for you.

Chise Hatori has lived a life of solitude. No one loves her. Her parents abandoned her, and since then, everyone who want
Victoria ♡
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-manga
Oh wow I'm really loving this concept! Good strong first volume and I feel like there was a good amount of plot to go with the character introductions.

Definitely makes me wanna start the anime sooner...
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
The Ancient Magus’ Bride, Vol. 1 was a nice start. I liked it, but wasn’t overly wow’d. I do plan to continue the series and see where things go. The thing that got to me was the young girl in the situation she is in. I think a lot of manga take this route.

What we have is a 15-year-old prisoner bride situation. The bone-headed mage bought her, for reasons we haven’t yet figured out. I’m happy that he hasn’t done anything other then give this young girl a safe place to live, grow, and learn about
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I won't say that I loved this first volume, but it definitely caught my interest enough that I'd like to continue the series. There were some really interesting characters here and I love the designs of a lot of them, especially Thorn/Ainsworth and the Ariels. I was a little iffy when I realized the whole "Magus' bride" bit in the title is referencing the fact that Thorn intends to eventually marry this teenage girl he's "bought" (though to be fair, he hasn't bought her as a slave at all — he es ...more
Dave Schaafsma
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Again, I am just sampling some manga that would seem to be somewhat similar to a couple I am reading. One, The Girl From the Other Side, is darkly atmospheric, not very forthcoming with respect to details about its world, featuring a monster dressed in an elegant suit who is called by the girl he takes care of, Teacher; Witch Hat Atelier focuses on a girl who wants to be a witch and is taken on as an apprentice by a cute guy, her teacher.

This one has a monster in a suit, ancient mage Elias Ainsw
 Crystal
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-not-mine
Characters and settings are well drawn; the magical lore, exciting. I would be more supportive if not for the circumstances of Chise's new life. Being an ancient, nonhuman mage doesn't excuse 15-year-old prisoner bride situations. Chise's father is gone, mother dead, and relatives cruel and greedy. Her natural abilities seem to alienate her from modern society and she has sunk into such a state of lost depression--as a neglected, abandoned child--that the twisted Sotheby's of the magical world i ...more
Shaikhah
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it and I do wonder what will happen next :)
Lauren
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Phew! That was certainly unusual. *scratches head*

I really enjoyed this!! The Ancient Magus' Bride is unlike any manga I've read before (please note: I have not read much manga but the general consensus is that this is somewhat different to the rest). It's fantastical, magical, and at times, slightly confusing.

It tells the story of Chise, a girl who is bought by Elias Ainsworth (the bone-headed creature) from a slave auction, and who is repeatedly referred to as a 'sleigh beggy'. She
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This is an odd little story, and I'm not sure how to rate it yet. I really like the unique magical world, and the feel of the story reminds me very much of Natsume's Book of Friends. There are parts of it, though, that feel really odd. I'm interested in where this goes, though, so I'm definitely picking up volume 2. ...more
Bookishrealm
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Update! Here's my full review: https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....

I liked this a lot more than I expected. It was so good but also super heartbreaking. I didn’t expect there to be such an emotional pull but Chise’s background plays a huge role in how she perceives the world and what she thinks of others around her. I really enjoyed how Elias and Chise set out on this journey together because it gives the reader more insight to the world of mages. I’m interested in seeing how this relationsh
Melissa Stacy
A fifteen-year-old girl is sold at a slave market, bought by an ancient (and super magical) pervert who intends to marry her. This magical pedophile has an animal skull for a head, which is never explained in the book, but after he rips off the girl's clothes in a semi-violent bathing scene, he decides that it's an excellent time to announce he will marry her.

Published in 2014, I became aware of this book because "The Ancient Magus' Bride" has been turned into an animated film -- I saw the trai
Amanda Kratz
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this is really my first experience with any type of Manga. I did enjoy but I think I’m missing some understanding. I think there is a lot of reading between the lines of learning the facial expressions of the characters that I still have to learn.

I feel this story is really jumpy. It was hard for me to follow, but again that maybe just me not being used to this writing style. The story that there however is very interesting and intriguing.

You have a young orphan girl, Chise who’s relatives do
Jasmine
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
good shit go౦ԁ sHit thats ✓ some good shit right th ✓ere right✓there ✓✓if i do ƽaү so my self i say so ✓ thats what im talking about
lexi ✨
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
honestly, it was the cover that drew me in, & i loved it even more knowing this manga had so much depth & detail in such a short amount of space.

i love the magic aspect of it & the different clues & pieces of information we get from interactions with other characters.

also the illustrations are beautiful i love it.

the only thing is that it was a little fast paced. i would’ve liked it more if we spent a little more time & took things slower so i could absorb more of it, but overall i was impresse
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more manga and graphic novel reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

We first meet Chise, chained by the neck and wrists being passed over to her new owner, a bone-headed mage whose name she learns later is Elias. A penniless orphan sold on the black market she learns about herself, the magical world filled with fairies and other fantastical creatures as well as what it means to be a part of a family. Her new life as a mage's apprentice is just the beginning as it comes with the secondary
Gloria
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hmmmm. My first manga read for a challenge. I clearly could not afford to be a manga reader. $13 for a story that takes maybe an hour to two to finish. I read this for a challenge. It's a lot of world building and honestly, a lot of character introductions but not a lot happens. I like beauty and the beast type romances so I tried a beauty and the beast manga, and maybe if I read all of them it would be good but I didn't find the first book all that interesting. I am open to any suggestions thou ...more
Amy (libraryofamy)
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Whatever happened is in your past and doesn't change the fact that you are here now."

*2.5 stars

The more I read mangas, the more I'm realizing that the formatting and I just don't get along. The super fast pacing paired with how quickly I finish each volume (I finished this one in less than an hour) makes it really difficult for me to connect with the story in so many ways. The Ancient Magus' Bride was no different, unfortunately.

So, basically, this first volume was confusing. We were thrust
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I thought the dialogue was very well-written and natural, and the art was good, but unfortunately the rest of this manga didn't impress me. First, there's the creepiness of an ancient magus buying a 15-year-old at an auction to apprentice her, but also telling her she's going to be his future wife. This is somewhat sidestepped by his polite behavior, but there's also the odd scene where he briskly strips her and puts her in a tub like she's incapable of doing so herself.

I like the overall idea,
TheYALibrarian
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I think I just found a new manga to get hooked on after getting bored of Say I Love You and dropping it on volume 10.
sally ✿
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely gorgeous.

The story is creepy and weird, but magical and wonderful and beautiful at the same time.

Watching the anime at the moment, but I cannot wait to continue!
Bethany
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first foray into manga and I loved it! Granted, Ancient Magus Bride is an urban fantasy which is a genre that I generally enjoy, but I was still really pleasantly surprised and plan to continue with the series.

This follows a Japanese girl who is sold into slavery for a magical market and then purchased by a Magus. He brings her back to England to be his protege and eventual bride. (that part seems a little weird, but there isn't really any romantic development in this volume and I t
Brie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Much sweeter and more... innocent than I was expecting. I love the character concepts and can’t wait to read more!
Erin
Really beautiful artwork! I like the depictions of fey, both visually and their amorality is fitting. On that note, I don’t get people complaining about the difference in age and power between the characters — it’s intentionally following many fairytale tropes and many characters do comment on and question the intentions and rightness of “the Ancient Magus’” actions concerning his apprentice. I was not keen on how Chize was introduced and her passivity, but that may yet be further explained and ...more
Michelle Sedai of the Brown Ajah
Finished this after a second attempt because the anime seemed not to be showing many signs of what bothered me initially (see original review attached at the very bottom). I still feel a bit creeped out over the early bath scene, and I'm not entirely comfortable with the relationship between Chise and Elias, but their world is an intriguing one, even if I never want to be in a romantic relationship like theirs.

You want to know what actually sold me on this series? It's an arc that short starts f
Skrivena stranica
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, 2017
It's not so bad but I find it boring. ...more
Azbaqiyah
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Plot: 4/5 - The story start with a red hair girl name Chise who was a subject for an auction. She was know as a sleigh beggy...which she also don't know what is it...finally she was sold to someone or being with a horned wolf skeleton head...

Art: 3.8/5- The art was nice and very detailed especially for the background usage.

Book Cover: 4/5 - The book cover was nice. Unlike most of the manga where it usually focus on the character(s), TAMB cover was very details and the colouring was beautiful.

Wor
Miya
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely and wonderful Manga. I was intrigued by the Cover and Name and wasn‘t let down. The Style and Story is simply amazing, it‘s really fascinating. I love how detailed everything is drawn and that you get a very deep insight in the world Kore Yamazaki created here. I‘m excited to see what will happen in the second Manga. ...ah! And I also loved the cute Scribbles from the drawer between the Chapters.
Sammy
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really fell in love with this stories blurb so I was super excited to read it! It’s got magic, Mages, fairies and all things fantasy based! Personally I’ve found it alittle slow but I do feel as though it’s a build up book, ready for book number two, to be a knock out! I hope that is the case anyway! I’m about to start book two so I’ll let you know! 4/5
DonutKnow
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shipping Elias and Chise 2 28 Apr 26, 2018 06:25AM
Shounen Manga Boo...: The Ancient Magus' Bride 3 11 Jan 25, 2018 06:15PM
Shounen Manga Boo...: Ancient Magus' Bride 4 10 Oct 22, 2017 04:26AM

• Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 1 (Kamisama Kiss, #1)
  • Noragami 01 (Noragami: Stray God, #1)
  • A Silent Voice, Vol. 1 (A Silent Voice, #1)
  • Maid-sama! Vol. 01 (Maid-sama!, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • 暗殺教室 1 [Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 1] (Assassination Classroom, #1)
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1 (The Girl from the Other Side, #1)
  • Tokyo Ghoul, Tome 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 1 (Vampire Knight, #1)
  • 赤髪の白雪姫 1 [Akagami no Shirayukihime 1] (Snow White with the Red Hair, #1)
  • Beast Master, Vol. 1 (Beast Master, #1)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 1 (Soul Eater, #1)
  • Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, Vol. 1
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
  • The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 1
Name (in native language) : ヤマザキコレ

Born in Hokkaido. Also known as Yamao Mitsu.

The Ancient Magus' Bride (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 2 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #2)
  • 魔法使いの嫁 3 [Mahou Tsukai No Yome 3] (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #3)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 4 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #4)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 5 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #5)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 6 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #6)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 7 (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #7)
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 8
  • 特装版 魔法使いの嫁 9 [Mahou Tsukai No Yome 9: Limited Edition] (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #9)
  • 魔法使いの嫁 10 [Mahou Tsukai no Yome 10] (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #10)
  • 魔法使いの嫁 11 [Mahou Tsukai no Yome 11] (The Ancient Magus' Bride, #11)