Start by marking “Young Widows Club” as Want to Read:
Young Widows Club

Young Widows Club

Seventeen-year-old Tamsen Baird didn’t set out to become a teenage widow. All she did was fall in love and get married. But when her nineteen-year-old husband, Noah, dies suddenly in the middle of the night, her whole life changes. Now Tam is forced to return to the existence she thought she’d left behind—beginning with moving back home and finishing high school. But in or ...more
Published November 10th 2015 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Young Widows Club, please sign up.
Kathryn Not really. It's about a young woman who is grieving for her husband.

Rose
Initial reaction: So, for the record: this was a huge improvement over "Tumble and Fall" in my opinion. Even with a story over such a difficult subject and the potential for connections, there were times when this book had me and other times it lost me. I think Tamsen's insecurities and feelings of loss were palpable, and certainly it wasn't an easy spell considering what she'd been through, but there were other things about this narrative that just didn't sit that well with me. I'm going to giv ...more
Jen Ryland
I really liked this book .. but. There are many buts...

First, let's talk about the weirdness, of which there was quite a bit. The premise of the book is that seventeen year-old Tamsen marries her nineteen year-old boyfriend, and then he dies. I've read a YA book in which high school students want to get married because one of them is about to be deported. I've read dystopian YA in which the characters are forced into a polygamous marriage or just forced into marriage. In fact, in YA dystopians a
Kaye
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Reader, I skimmed this.

A month or so ago, on Twitter, I asked out of curiosity if anyone knew whether or not young married girls belonged in YA. The general consensus was, "As long as the protagonist is YA-aged and the subject is presented in a way that makes sense for the audience, it goes."

And then, a few people asked me if I had The Young Widows' Club on my radar.

Let me be honest: from the bottom of my heart, I went in wanting to like this. It was a trope I was curious about, it seemed like i
Cait
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in2016
I'm moonwalking away from this book muttering nope nope nope under my breath.
Amy
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
17-year-old Tamsen Baird dropped out of school to marry her 19-year-old sweetheart, only to have him die on her a month later. Suddenly on her own again, she is back to living with her parents and going to high school. She thought she had escaped. Now she has to remember how to live again.

The concept of this book fascinated me. A 17 year old widow? Talk about possibility. I loved the idea of a "teenager" who has become an "adult" having to go back to being a "teenager." Her grieving aside, that
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
How do you both like a dislike a book at the same time? This is the quandary that is Young Widows Club.

Review closer to release date. Maybe then I'll have a better sense of things.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
This is a hard one, because there were quite a few things I quite liked about it, but there were also a few things that nagged me through the book.

Tam (short for Tamsen, which sounds like some kind of spice, not a girl's name) has just lost her husband, at seventeen. This is where I first was a little unsure of the story, of course. Because why is she married at seventeen? At first I'd assumed he would be in the military, or maybe even o
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay first I have to say that this book was both crazy and maddening for me. I loved to love it and I loved to hate it. I mean getting married at such an early age was a new one for me. I have been married for many years and it took me a lot to get married because it is a serious matter and when Tam got married she was happy until tragedy happened to her.

She is only 17 years old and she loses her husband. After losing her husband she knows she has to start her life all over again. She does not w
Kristen
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
For a book that's about a variety of emotional subjects (the death of a parent, the death of a spouse, the stages of grief, therapy, learning to love again), this was disappointingly unemotional. I had a hard time connecting with any of the characters and the story lines seemed to be quickly addressed and wrapped up without any development or drama. Don't get me wrong--I don't think this needed to be some melodramatic soap opera, but it definitely needed more than it gave.
Kelly (Simply Kelina) C.
Started off with so much potential, then went down hill. I ended up skimming to the end.
Mimi
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I saw this on the shelf at the library and picked it up on a whim. I found Tamsen's journey through grief worth reading. I also thought it was interesting to see her pick up the pieces of her life and plan a new journey when the first one she had chosen so clearly didn't work out. I liked the relationship she developed with her family. I liked the descriptions of island life. It made me think of maybe Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. There is a little swearing and a little bit of a sex scene but ...more
Michelle Wrona
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more!

A few years ago, I fell in love with Alexandra's angelic trilogy also known as the lovely Halo trilogy. I do not know if I would still love it to this day, because my tastes have definitely changed and I cannot really call myself a fan of paranormal fiction anymore (and probably will never call myself a fan of that ever again), but I loved it. And then, Tumble and Fall was released and I fell out of love with Alexandr
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
3 stars (liked it)

I wanted to read Young Widows Club because I am drawn to books about death and dying, and ones that deal with grief. I lost my dad, and my mom is dealing with being a widow, so I feel like I can empathize and sympathize with Tam. Books like this help me because it gives a glimpse into other's emotions and grief process. I appreciate that everyone is different and deals with big feelings like this in other ways.

The book starts on the day of his funeral, and Tam is definitely
Lauren R.
Meh, kind of boring. For such a sad subject, I really didn't feel any emotions or connections to the main character. (Very mild spoiler in the next sentence, so beware) I was also a bit creeped out over the fact that she was 17 and the new love interest was 26. What was the point in making that big of an age difference? I couldn't fully ship anything, especially when she didn't have her life together at all. Overall a decent, quick read but I can't say that I really liked it all that much.
------
Portia Lynn (itsportiasbooks)
**My original review can be found here, at No BS Book Reviews! Check it out!

While the synopsis sounded very heartfelt and meaningful, I have to admit that I am left slightly underwhelmed.

Paige married her first love before she even turned 18. Six weeks later, she finds herself a widow. My first problem here is how easily she seemed to get married at 17. We did not get too much backstory on how that whole situation went down. My next issue is that we never were given a really clear reason why she
Kathy Martin
YOUNG WIDOWS CLUB was a touching exploration of grief and finding yourself after tragedy. Tam Baird dropped out of high school to marry her musician boyfriend and act as manager for his band. They began dating when Tam was an eighth grader and Noah was a sophomore. They got to spend almost no time together after they married because Noah died in his sleep just six weeks later.

Since then Tam has been camping in the house Noah and his father were building for them and just drifting through life w
Carly
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from NetGalley. You know it's a good book when it leaves you wanting more. I wanted to know what happens in Tam's life after the book, but it leaves off at just the right spot. One of the few books to actually bring tears to my eyes, definitely worth the read.
Estelle
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this was great. More soon!
Anna
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
This had teen chick lit lover's dream written all over it, but the characters were are so uninteresting that it fails to strike an emotional chord (or, at the very least, mine).
Judith
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
2.5 - needed more depth
Jasmine
Sep 21, 2016 added it
Shelves: abandoned, despised
Skimmed this, automatically marked as a DNF due to bad writing and a what the fuck main character
Birdie
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5

I stress bought this book in the middle of exam season because it sounded like something I could fly through in between periods of study-induced panic. I don't know what I expected this book to be, but it wasn't really anything I was thinking.

The whole reason I picked this book up was because I thought the main character would be going to a support group for teen widows and I thought that sounded so unique, if albeit a bit unusual, but that didn't happen at all lol. Tamsen was the youngest pe
Heather Lewis
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
At first, I was apprehensive to read this. I was not sure how I felt about 1. a teenager being married at 17 and 2. the death of a teenager. Having experienced the death of a friend in high school, I was truly hoping that this book did not glamorize death.
As a parent, I had a really hard time believing that Tam's parents allowed her to drop out of high school and get married at such a young age and be ok with it.
I loved how Coutts took a concept that many young adults and even adults in their 2
Celine Farley
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book but a few things bother me as well.

Tam (short for Tamsen) is seventeen and widowed. Her nineteen year old husband, Noah, died in his sleep. We follow her journey to rediscovering herself, past and future.

First, i would have liked to learn more about Tam and Noah’s relationship.
Second, I thought there were too many characters that were unnecessary for her journey.
Third, I feel like there was something missing but I can’t quite pinpoint what that is.

I loved the idea of her red
Bean Burrito
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Drucilla
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: c
As someone who revels in HEAs, this was tough to read, but grief is part of loving someone and Coutts did a good job of portraying that. My only complaint is that the island that Tamsen lives on never feels like an actual location. It's supposed to be so small that they don't even get movies until they're out on DVD, but the community can support a vegan coffee shop and it has a widows support group specifically for young widows? But I'm nitpicking here. It's a solid book dealing with a subject ...more
Erin
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was slow in the beginning, but then it got better. Absolutely heart-wrenching at times; I felt Coutts really captured the irrational grief of a young woman. It was bizarre for me to read this story from a high schooler's perspective, especially since all of the ones I've read where a husband died was from the point of view of an older person, but I thought the tone and the actions were very apt for a person of Tamsen's age. The only thing was I felt the end of the book wrapped up pretty quick ...more
Laura's Book Addiction
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-wishlist, 2015
"I've noticed that these little moments of connection are people's way of letting you know they're still there. Just because they're not responding doesn't mean they don't get it. They want you to know you're not alone."

Well after having this book sitting in my TBR pile for nearly two years I thought it was about time I read it, and I'm so glad I did. I feel into Tamsen's story and was pulled in to her grief and daily struggles. Young Widows Club is a compelling read....
Kristin
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but I didn’t love it.

There are two main reasons why:
1) I couldn’t fully get behind the romance subplot because I was dumped in a spectacular and incredibly humiliating fashion by a Colin. No one ever named Colin will be a romantic hero for me ever again.

2) As we never really see any of Tam’s relationships with Noah, it felt one-dimensional. I wasn’t emotionally invested in her grief.
Emily Elizabeth
Meh. The entire book felt unrealistic, and lacked in emotion for me. I kept losing track of character names, and the pace was inconsistent. Characters were brought up exclusively to develop the plot, and then they seemed to drop off the face of the Earth, leaving me with a bunch of questions.

It was an easy read, but didn’t have enough depth to make a long-lasting impression on me.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The August Five
  • Has to Be Love
  • What's Broken Between Us
  • Everything But the Truth (If Only . . ., #6)
  • A Million Miles Away
  • Because You Exist (Light in the Dark Series, #1)
  • Those Girls
  • Nikki Blue: Source of Trouble (Nikki, #2)
  • A Shattered Heart (Fractured Lives, #2)
  • Rules for 50/50 Chances
  • Finding Center (District Ballet Company #2)
  • Finding Someplace
  • Red Girl, Blue Boy (If Only . . ., #5)
  • Autofocus
  • The Opposite of Love
  • Bright Lights, Dark Nights
  • Ten After Closing
  • From This Moment (Moment of Truth, #3)
Alexandra Bullen Coutts has been a playwright, waitress, barista, gardener, script reader, yoga instructor and personal assistant. She grew up in Massachusetts, went to college in New York City, and lives most of the year full time on Martha’s Vineyard.