Start by marking “Nerdy Birdy (Nerdy Birdy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nerdy Birdy (Nerdy Birdy, #1)

Nerdy Birdy

(Nerdy Birdy #1)

Nerdy Birdy likes reading, video games, and reading about video games, which immediately disqualifies him for membership in the cool crowd.

One thing is clear: being a nerdy birdy is a lonely lifestyle.

When he's at his lowest point, Nerdy Birdy meets a flock just like him. He has friends and discovers that there are far more nerdy birdies than cool birdies in the sky. And t
Published September 22nd 2015 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Nerdy Birdy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nerdy Birdy

Start your review of Nerdy Birdy (Nerdy Birdy, #1)
Tracy Clausen
I really like the message in this book - it's not just about being accepted by a group, but being true to yourself and including people that are different. Great for discussing inclusion and friendship with elementary school kids.
Cheryl
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm torn. The first half is awful, reinforcing stereotypes we really don't need to see yet again. But the last bit is fabulous, both funny and wise... and the very last is crazy. You'll just have to see for yourself. But remember: Nerd does not equal glasses does not equal puny does not equal allergies. And Cool does not equal bully. (Iow, cool kids can be nice and wear glasses, for example.)

Reread, bumped it up two (yes 2!) stars. Everything I said above I still agree with, but this time I love
Rebecca Honeycutt
A picture book about gatekeepers within geek culture, whaaaat? Adults will appreciate the pop-culture references, kids will giggle at the exaggerated illustrations, and everyone can benefit from the message of inclusiveness.
Maura
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I more nuanced treatment of the whole nerd vs. cool people paradigm then most stories aimed at adults.

At first, nerdy birdy feels lonely because the cool birdies, Eagle, Cardinal, and Robin don't want anything to do with him. When a big group of nerdy birds invites him to join them, he feels excepted and also realizes that Eagle, Cardinal, and Robin's elite-ness kind of cuts them off and must make them lonely.

The story could stop there but it adds an even better message. Vulture moves to town
Diana Murray
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure little kids would get the ending, but I do think they'd enjoy the book. I guess older kids or adults would understand it a different way. It was very funny but it did make me a little sad, however, because my 13yo is "goth". I think this book could initiate some interesting discussions with middle schoolers.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Nerdy Birdy sees himself with truthful eyes but still looks to be friends with the cool birdies: Eagle, Cardinal and Robin. When a birdy that looks like him invites him to join their group he is excited to have so many more friends than even the cool group has! What will he do though when he sees a new birdy, Vulture, get rejected by not only the cool birdies but the nerdy birdies as well?

My nephew and I loved this book! The illustr
Ryan
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I Love This Book. It deserves all the 5 stars it can get. A bird feels alone because no one wants to hang out. His glasses are too big and he loves to read. But then he finds his gang. Other nerdy birds like him. But as in real society, even a nerdy group can exclude people. They can exclude the weird. But Nerdy Birdy won’t stand for it. He knows it's better to have friends than be alone.
#beatthebacklist #hermione 2017
Racheal
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved the ultimate message and I thought the illustrations were super cute and expressive. However, I don't really love how it pigeonholes (pun intended) types of people in the first 2/3 of the book. It's very much about how "cool" kids=bullies and "nerds"=glasses-wearing, book-loving, allergy-having weaklings.
Rossy
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Being true to yourself, standing up for others, understanding being cool is not always cool and that being surrounded by people exactly like you isn't always cool either, and that being open to new people may lead to great friendships!
Steve Holden
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lindsay found this one while stockpiling picture books to use in her beginning of the year character program. What a find! This is a fantastic book! I'm jealous she got her hands on it first - I'll need a copy now too.

The illustrations are both funny and adorable. There are jokes within details in most illustrations too. I love it! The best part, however, is the message in this story. It's not about having the "coolest" friends. It's not about having a lot of friends. It's not about being accep
Erin Murphy
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the message of this book! Nerdy Bird wasn't cool and didn't fit in with the cool birds. He finds some new friends, but has to stand up to them when they are not interested in accepting a new birds into their group.
Lorrie
Jun 21, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, pb-read-alouds
Being yourself and making friends. Grade: 1-3.
Kris
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
No one wants to be lonely, and even nerds exclude people (or birds) sometimes. A great message and cute illustrations.
Ricki
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I simply adore this book. The moral is so important, and it is a fantastic text to teach kindness and differences.
Barbara
What a great message about how to treat others this book has--but told in a surprising way. Nifty illustrations, created with pen and ink and watercolors follow a bird that is a bit of a misfit as he tries to find a place to belong. It would seem that everything about Nerdy Bird is just all wrong, from his big round glasses to how he finds food. To his chagrin, the other birds with whom he spends time, are simply far too superior for him. When he realizes that there are plenty of other birds jus ...more
Emma
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent read that every reader can relate to. This picture book takes bullying and friendship to a whole new level, and is extremely well done. The illustrations are colorful, the text is well written, and the message that the book portrays is essential.

Throughout the book, the main character is trying to fit in with others and to make friends. However, everyone else just makes fun of him and bullies him. Then, he does find a group that can relate to him. However, he soon finds out tha
Margie
It was as if they were conjured and controlled by an unseen magician. Neither a chirp nor a cheep was uttered but there was the sound, the sound of hundreds of wing beats. It was late in the afternoon as they dove and swirled and dove and swirled as if dancing an avian ballet. My furry friend and I paused in our walk standing as still as stone, both unable to believe this phenomenon was happening next to us.

These starlings left as swiftly as they came, flying as a unit with a seemingly single c
Carrie Charley Brown
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Trying to fit in can be hard for any birdy. While some are comfortable being on their own, others, like Nerdy Birdy, are looking for friends to share memories. Children can certainly relate to this plight. The ups and downs of social woes are indeed like a teeter totter for young kids. One moment they are friends and the next they are not. But when you find that one true friend, who accepts you just the way you are... that is a golden moment. Nerdy Birdy celebrates diversity through personalitie ...more
Martha
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nerdy Birdy realizes he isn't cool. His wings are too small, his glasses too big and he is even allergic to bird feed. When the cool birds shun him, he thinks about his strengths, reading, playing video games, and reading books about them. He still feels lonely until he meets lots of friendly nerdy birdies who share his interests and even look a lot like him. When a new bird, a vulture, moves into the neighborhood, she doesn't share the characteristics of the nerdy birdies. They ignore the vultu ...more
Ariel Cummins
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are plenty of picture books out there about being yourself. But what do you do when you're being yourself and the cool kids still don't like you? If you're Nerdy Bird, you find other Nerdy Birds to hang out with! ...if this were most picture books, that would be where the story would end. One thing that makes this title stand out, thought, is the fact that it deals with what do to when the folks who are proud of not being cool think they're too cool to hang out with somebody else.

This boo
Melissa Rochelle
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm always amazed by picture books that take a complex issue and break it down so beautifully for kiddos to "get it". Here we have a nerdy birdy who hangs around the cool birds, but they don't have anything in common. The cool birds only seem to care about their stuff (being strong, showing off, etc). One day this little nerdy birdy meets an entire flock of nerdy birds that all like the same stuff as him. He's finally found his people! But when a new non-cool bird moves to town, our little nerdy ...more
Linda
This is going to be a continuing favorite. This bird is a nerd, and finally finds his niche, others who invite him into the group of others like him, other nerds. No longer does he feel alone, and he has a fine group of friends. But along comes someone who is different, another kind of nerd? And the group, sad to our Nerdy Birdy, says this new one is just TOO weird. What comes next is beautiful, and will show the best part of accepting others just as they are. The pictures work beautifully with ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, LOVE this book! It's an adorable way to talk to kids about how it's ok to not fit in and be different, but not to shun other people because they might be a different kind of different from you. It's just a really great book with a great message.

The illustrations are simple but interesting and they used different fonts for the dialogue and then descriptions.

I highly recommend this book!
Rebecca
This perfectly encapsulates two things. 1) The moment when an outcast person finds their tribe. Yes! What a feeling!! Alone no more! And then 2) The moment when you turn on someone else -- and realize no one, not even former outcasts, is above clique-iness. Pretty deep for a picture book, no? The social inclusiveness lessons here are great without being heavy-handed.
Jillian Heise
Adorable book? The illustrations are endearingly cute. The message might be a little heavy handed, but it's a good one. Will share with students when they need a reminder to be an inclusive/accepting community.
LibrarEmiller
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-bks, humor
So many of my friends need this in their lives and on their kids bookshelves. For every nerd who just wanted some friends, felt alone and just wanted to be you without feeling bad about who or what you like, this is the book for you and your kids! Heck, I want this on my book shelf!!!
Mary
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A great story about being nerdy and feeling the odd-one out. However, there are way more nerdy birdies than "cool" ones, so nerds can find their friends. It's a story of acceptance and then extending that acceptance to others who are different in other ways.
pati
For all the birdy nerds out there - being a nerd is cool, too. Just don't get caught up in the birds of a feather stick together mentality! Friends are all around, you just have to be open to the possibilities.
Kelsey
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-ra
I've been waiting for this one for awhile... I love the super adorable drawings!

Moral: Being cool isn't all that it's cut out to be. Being nerdy isn't either.
Lesson: Finding a place to fit in isn't necessarily enough

Virtue: compassion/kindness

Moral: He who has friends must show himself friendly
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Stick and Stone
  • 7 Ate 9: The Untold Story
  • The Girl Who Thought in Pictures: The Story of Dr. Temple Grandin
  • Misunderstood Shark: Friends Don't Eat Friends
  • Potato Pants!
  • La Princesa and the Pea
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Little Red Fort
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, Book 1)
  • Dragon Was Terrible
  • Each Kindness
  • Can I Be Your Dog?
  • Spork
  • XO, OX: A Love Story
  • Be Quiet!
Aaron Reynolds is a New York Times Bestselling Author of many highly acclaimed books for kids, including Dude!, Creepy Carrots!, Creepy Pair of Underwear!, Nerdy Birdy, and tons more. He frequently visits schools and his highly participatory presentations are a blast for kids and teachers alike. He lives in the Chicago area with his wife, two kids, four cats, and between three and ten fish, depend ...more

Nerdy Birdy (2 books)
  • Nerdy Birdy Tweets (Nerdy Birdy, #2)