Start by marking “The Fall of the House of West” as Want to Read:
The Fall of the House of West

The Fall of the House of West

(Battling Boy #2.2)

Aurora West is on the verge of solving the mystery of her mother's death, but it's hard keeping her efforts a secret from her grieving father, the legendary monster-hunter Haggard West. Between her school work and her hours training and hunting with her dad, Aurora is hard-pressed to find time to be a secret sleuth. But she's nothing if not persistent.

What Aurora doesn't r
Published October 13th 2015 by First Second

Damon
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
a neat ending to this enjoyable prequel.
First Second Books
Oct 20, 2015 marked it as first-second-publications
This book is all about real-life heroes, and how they sometimes aren't all that they're cracked up to be.

I feel like this is a really interesting subject -- because through so much of everyones' childhoods, we're encouraged to build heroes for ourselves out of real people. (I even remember having to write a multitude of papers about my personal heroes, which was always an interesting time.)

But when you're talking about real-life heroes, there are always some bad bits -- no one is 100% perfect,
Rick
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A decent conclusion to the Battling Boy prequel, but still not as good as the original.
Aleap
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given this title to review by NetGalley and the publisher First Second in exchange for my honest review.

Daughter of celebrated Haggard West – hero extraordinare of the monster-rampaged Arcopolis – and a hero-in-training herself, 15-year-old Aurora West continues on her quest to find the monster that killed her mother eleven years ago. All signs point to the responsible monster being Coil, Aurora's not-so-imaginary and not-so-friendly childhood companion, who just so happened to disappear f
Nicola Mansfield
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to this as I really enjoyed Aurora West's first book! This is a continuation of the story as she concludes the search for the killer of her mother and continues training to be her father's sidekick and one day replace him. A rip-roaring adventure with lots of action, humour and fabulous art. Great characters return from the first book. But also quite a serious theme and heavy topic that deals with heroes having to believe in themselves, when to tell the truth versus whe ...more
Diz
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This concludes the prequel to Paul Pope's Battling Boy. Aurora West discovers she may not know the truth about the major event that drives her to revenge. The reveal is unexpected, and it makes a big change to how you view the relationships between the characters in the series. There are some really good action sequences in this. However , the art is a bit uneven at times--especially when it comes to characters' faces.
Alenka
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Aurora is an incredible character; tough and determined, but also a daughter with a bit of a father complex. These books are really her journey toward seeing her father in his full humanity, as well as coming to terms with her own grief. Not so much a coming of age - Aurora already fully knows what she is capable of - but an exploration of the dark, complex relationships within the West family. Loved it.
Derek Royal
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting the next Paul Pope Battling Boy book for this year, but it's nonetheless good to get another Aurora West volume. This was one of the books we discussed on our publisher spotlight on First Second fall releases: http://comicsalternative.com/episode-....
Larakaa
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
a lot of background history of the characters is revealed. I loved it even more than "the rise of aurora west".
Angela
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Another fun entry in this series. The artwork is quite fun and we learn more of the West backstory.
Garrett
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite a bit more emotionally involving than the first one, but just as quickly paced, and shot through with a kind of brutal intensity that only the best graphic narratives usually have. I enjoyed this, and think it would be a good option (coupled with the first one) for anyone who needed a quick action-adventure fix with some heart. The art does not suffer from the small format, either - in fact, often the pace of the story benefits from the crashing strain against the borders of the panels, pa ...more
Norman Cook
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
These are more than just superhero monster hunters with cool gadgets. There are poignant family relations that are on the forefront of this story. My only reservation is that the artwork is sometimes too dark and sometimes too busy for the small pages of the book.
D.M.
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have to say I was a bit let down by the ending of this two-part story, though I can't really say why. Naturally, monsters are battled, secrets revealed and truths (and lies) spoken (and unspoken). Naturally, there's plenty of human-on-monster bashery involved throughout. Naturally, Pope's writing is stilted but inventive. And somehow, by the end, the whole thing just feels a bit flat.
This is not to say I had high expectations after the first book. That was just a passable but fun adventure wit
Chris
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and unusual duet of graphic novels. The ending made me genuinely cry
Ryan Mishap
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Huh, this is the horse after the cart that was The Rise of Aurora West. An inventive world in which to narrate the events leading up to the aforementioned cart.
Khalid Albaih
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Good but not great. Nothing as good The original story line me.
Trey Piepmeier
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like the first volume, this was a lot of fun. Even after waiting a long time between volumes, I felt like I could remember and follow enough to get the impact of the story. I want more.
Lindsey
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this in one sitting. Loved it! Enjoyed the previous GN as well.
LouLou
Oct 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Read review in its entirety at http://www.compassbookratings.com/rev...

The Fall of the House of West, is the second volume in the Aurora West series, which is a prequel to Paul Pope's, Battling Boy.

Just as any graphic novel should be, The Fall of the House of West is action-packed! With panels chalk full of visuals, charismatic characters, and a dark secret on the verge of exposure, this is an entertaining escape for comic-loving youth.

In regards to teen connection, you have juvenile protagonist
Siina
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Pope's The Fall of the House of West is a good continuation to The Rise of Aurora West. It's very much tied to the first part, so it doesn't work on its own, really. The story line is surely interesting, but it has problems. The art work is OK, although from time to time at least Aurora's face looks weird and out of portion. The panels are stuffed full and since this is a black and white story, it's sometimes hard to get what is happening. A some kind of clarification to the panels would have ma ...more
Ashley
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This graphic novel continues the story of Aurora West and her search for her mother's killer. Aurora is the teenage daughter of Haggard West who is the hero of the monster-ravaged Acropolis. She is training to be a monster hunter like her father, but her personal quest to avenge her mother interferes with that task in this book. She believes her old "imaginary" friend, Coil, is responsible for the crime because he mysteriously disappears from her life the night her mother dies. Haggard and his a ...more
Michelle
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aurora has finally been given permission to patrol on her own. It is the opportunity she has been waiting for as it allows her to investigate her mother’s death. Her father won’t talk about it, but Aurora cannot let it go. She will find and destroy her mother’s murderer. What Aurora does not count on is that as she unravels the truth, she is also endangering her father and all of those living in Acropolis.
This prequel to the Battling Boy series provides the backstory of the West’s as it is told
Ange (Libby Blog) Schmelzer
Aurora is motherless and on a mission to learn more about her death so she can avenge her no matter what. Her father not only doesn't talk about her mother or her death, but he also cannot seem to keep Aurora under complete control where her mother's death is concerned either. Will Aurora find out who really killed her mother? What will she do if she does find the killer?

My thoughts: This was full of mysterious intrigue, sadness and adventure. I wasn't sure if I had missed something in another b
Amanda
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads-wins
This dark, female-fronted YA twist on a classic superhero comic feels something like a mix between Kick Ass and Batman. Although it is the second book in the Aurora West series, the plot stands on its own. It follows the story of the titular Aurora "Roar" West, daughter of Batmanesque vigilante, Haggard West (fantastic names), in her quest to track down the seven-fingered monster that killed her mother. The unfortunate downfall, in my mind, is the art. The greyscale pages have little contrast, b ...more
Barbara
Aurora West is her father's daughter, and like her famous crime-fighting progenitor, she is determined to rid the world of monsters who are the criminal element filling the streets of Acropolis. But Aurora has a secret. She's been hunting for someone to blame for her mother's death. Just as it seems that she's learned the truth and can wreak vengeance on that criminal, Ms. Grately shows her just how wrong she is. This second title in the prequel to the Battling Boy series is well drawn and well ...more
Sharon
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Aurora gets in trouble while searching for her mother's killer. The story gets a good 4.5, but the fact that I had so much trouble following what was going on in the images dragged the score way down. There were whole pages where I had no idea what was happening, and there were key scenes where I could figure out what was going on generally, but only with a lot of study, and I still couldn't get the details.

Anyway, the story is pretty great, though. Aurora's confidence and stubbornness almost tr
C Pure
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The second part to the prequel of Battling Boy. I felt like this one was a bit anticlimactic... The story of Battling Boy and the House of West prequels are not anything super original but what makes it so much fun to read is Paul Pope's energetic and vibrant style. I know I have mentioned this several times in my previous reviews but it's true. The characters are relatable and you find yourself rooting for them in the end but overall I felt a little unfulfilled in the end.

I'm still curious thou
Becky B
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Aurora continues to hunt down Coil, the monster she believes killed her mother. But as she closes in on Coil and other monsters, it becomes clear they have their own plans and the truth of her mother's death may be more horrible than she ever imagined.

This one definitely gives you some answers into what happened in the past, and better helps you understand the relationship of Aurora and Haggard in Battling Boy. I just wish this was in color.

Notes on content: No language issues. No sexual content
Paper Clippers

What Aurora doesn't realize is that she's about to blow open a secret that may very well destroy what's left of her family... and, indeed, all of
Kellee
Aurora wants to know who killed her mother. But because she is hiding her investigation from her father, there is no one to monitor what she is doing, so through her investigation, things do not really go as planned.

I loved this continuation of Aurora's story. She is such a strong character, and I love that she and her father are willing to put their lives on the line to protect others in her city. There are definitely some BIG surprises in this one. Throughout the book you will feel so many em

• The Cobalt Prince (5 Worlds, #2)
  • Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Last of the Sandwalkers
  • Demon, Volume 2
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Romeo and Juliet (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #2)
  • The Summer Invitation
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean
  • Faith, Volume 2: California Scheming
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Yvain: The Knight of the Lion
  • Fable Comics
  • Le Château des étoiles 1869 : La Conquête de l'espace - Vol. 1 (Le Château des Etoiles, #1)
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Sparks! (Sparks! #1)
  • Town Boy
PAUL POPE is an American cartoonist living and working in New York City. Pope has made a name for himself internationally as an artist and designer. He has been working primarily in comics since the early '90s, but has also done a number of projects with Italian fashion label Diesel Industries and, in the US, with DKNY. His media clients include LucasArts, Paramount Pictures, Cartoon Network, Marv ...more

Battling Boy (3 books)