Start by marking “The Knights Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Knights Before Christmas

The Knights Before Christmas

'Twas December 24th, and three brave knights were just settling in for the night when out on the drawbridge, there arose such a clatter! The knights try everything to get rid of this unknown invader (Santa Claus!), a red and white knight with a fleet of dragons . . .

But nothing would stop
their white-whiskered foe.
No matter their efforts,
he just would not go!

This parody of
Published September 8th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Knights Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knights Before Christmas

Miriam
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Such silly knights! Lucky for them Santa had already ticked their names off on the nice list.

So many puns. If you like silly puns definitely read this.
Kristine Hansen
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why Santa Claus doesn't just give up is beyond me. When three knights fight to keep out all intruders (as they ought) it seems no one thought to explain to them, that some strangers OUGHT to be permitted entry. Especially if you expect to get any presents Christmas morning. Silly and fun, this book was enjoyable just because it was something new and interesting. Who doesn't love the idea of Santa Claus laying siege to a castle? This is one I would read again.
Scottsdale Public Library
Hilarious holiday fun! Peppered through with holiday carols and puns this is a wonderful read for your little knights and princesses. We read this and "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" together to compare and contrast for reading comprehension skills for my oldest child. The younger two kids loved "The Knights Before Christmas" version and many giggles were giggled at the knights' antics. -- Alexis S.
Tina ( As Told By Tina )
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
We received a copy in exchanged for an honest review. This does not influence our review in any shape or form.

I've been trying to get the kids ready for the holidays so I've been searching for books to bring in the Holiday spirit, when I had the opportunity to review The Knights Before Christmas , I immediately wanted to review it.

It was extremely colorful as you could see in the images up above in the sneak peek portion of this post. They were very vibrant and eye catching. The kids loved how
Tasha
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Three knights are guarding the castle when suddenly out on the drawbridge there arose a clatter! Outside there is a red-and-white knight with his eight dragons who is trying to get inside the castle. He asks where the chimney is, but castles don’t have a chimney, so Santa has to go to extreme measures to get gifts to these three knights. Meanwhile the knights try to defend the castle but take the instructions a bit too literally. Santa does not give up, deciding to launch the presents at the cas ...more
Kelly
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2017
way too cute!
Charlie
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Skinny
Three Knights are tasked with protecting the castle. On Christmas Eve an invader in a red coat comes calling. The Knights battle fiercely to keep out this redcoat with a jolly jaunt and in the end enjoy the spoils of war.

The Players
Brave Night (the redhead)
Polite Knight (the blonde)
Silent Knight (the one in full Knight gear – aka the brunette)

The Quote
Marauders: Take Baths!
Go fah la la la la la far away!

Highs and Lows
-The parody. The books is parodied after ‘Twas the Night Before Chr
M.M. Hudson
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have given no secret to the fact that I adore this author and her books. This little gem just gave me a good chuckle. She has taken the traditional telling of "The Night Before Christmas" and turned it with a poetic twist of laughter.

The three very good Knights with funny names defend the castle, that also has a funny name, from the likes of an invader. Who would this invader with the "dragons" be? Well, I am sure you might guess. Their fight to defend is downright hilarious with the sugar plu
Beverly McClure
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Christmas is the season of reindeer pulling a sleigh, a chubby little man with a white beard, a bundle of toys on his back, stockings hanging by the chimney, and three knights guarding their king. Wait a minute. Three knights? A king?

Yes, THE KNIGHTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS, an adorable picture book by Author Joan Holub, is the story of three knights guarding their king. While the story has similarities to Clement Clarke Moore’s A VISIT FROM SAINT NICHOLAS, it is a totally different story with three kn
zapkode
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
{My Thoughts} – Joan Holub has done it again with an amazing picture book. I love how she has been able to take older tales and reshapes them into something remarkable. I personally cannot wait to take this book off the shelf and read it to my children on Christmas Eve this year.

The Knights Before Christmas is just as the title suggests. It is a book that it based on the tale The Night Before Christmas. However, in this story it is about the Knights in a castle that are trying to protect the cas
Christy
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review first appeared on my blog, Christy's Cozy Corners.

The Knights Before Christmas is another great book by author Joan Holub with adorable and colorful illustrations by Scott Magoon. I thought that the knight themed take on ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas was adorable. What kid doesn’t like knights? The fact that the knights are trying to keep Santa out of the castle is very funny! The little added text in the illustrations definitely bring our the humor in the story. I know that paren
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A royally enchanting twist on the 'Twas The Night Before Christmas, Joan Holub's THE KNIGHTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS is a downright, delightful Christmas book readers of all ages will enjoy.

The three goodhearted Knights are trying to keep Santa out of the castle. Not realizing he is trying to give them gifts for being so good, they do everything they can to keep him out. We all know Santa isn't one to be deterred. He outsmarts the Knights and gives them their gifts in a creative Knightly way.

I loved
Laura Thomas
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You all know the poem “Twas The Night Before Christmas. I remember it from a very young age. My brothers and sisters and I used to like to make up our own words for the rhyming.That’s what Joan Holub has done.

Brave Knight, Polite Knight, and Silent Knight, three valiant young lads, must man the battlements, keeping the mysterious invader and his eight fierce dragons from entering the castle.

What a delightful story. The author got very creative with her telling. And she also had a fun little twis
Melinda
Shelves: reviews
This is a beautiful picture book for the holiday season about knights doing their jobs guarding the castle. It is Christmas Eve and Santa is seen as an intruder, but Santa has his list and delivers his goodies to all the knights. The knights protected their castle and Santa got his job done for the night. All is well. Young children will enjoy the story and keep their attention with the beautifully illustrated pictures. 5 Star Rating. Received complimentary from the author for a honest review.
Aylea
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mostly gets 4 stars for the funny rewritten Christmas songs.
Katie Ark
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute read for fans of knights in shining armor.
Margaret Gerberding
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun story about three knights who believe Santa is trying to invade their castle on Christmas Eve.
Jesse
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many puns! I love it!
Keliana Lily
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Really cute idea. Some parts were great but I felt it could have been better.
Darlene Cruz
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
MY REVIEW:

First of all, catchy and familiar theme, “Twis The Night Before Christmas.” Santa and his reindeers flying above the heads of three knights standing on a castle with swords extended in good cheers. The book cover beautiful with it’s blue color and white moon and three cheerful knights. Did you notice Santa perfect glow of his face against the moon? Why the good mood? If you look closer someone is holding a candy cane in it’s mouth.
Ha . . . ha . . . ha . . . adorably cute. After readin
Alison P
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This book sounded too cute to pass up. The Knights Before Christmas by Joan Holub was quickly received after I requested it and I was so excited to see what was inside. I barely got to read it before my son said is that for me...."Ummm, sort of...sure. Do you want to read it?" I said. He said yes and immediately sat down to read this new book to his collection.

Emmaline MacBeath
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: This is a knights parody of the original Christmas poem. "Twas December 24th, and three brave knights were just settling in for the night when out on the drawbridge, there arose such a clatter! The knights try everything to get rid of this unknown invader (Santa Claus!), a red and white knight with a fleet of dragons (reindeer) . . .

But nothing would stop
their white-whiskered foe.
No matter their efforts,
he just would not go!"

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations were created digitally. The p
Barbara
Bright digital artwork and rhyming text tell the story of three knights who haven't a clue about Santa Claus and view his arrival as an attack on the castle they are guarding. The idea to craft a parody of the well-known "'Twas the Night before Christmas" in this fashion is clever, and not one that would have come to most readers' minds. The images contain funny distractions such as "a knightcrawler"(unpaged) on the stairs and a snoozing knight who dreams of a white javelin, not a white Christma ...more
Stacie
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
The Knights Before Christmas is a fun filled rhyming take one of the most popular Christmas poems of all time, A Visit From St. Nicholas by Clement Clarke Moore.

In Joan Holub's delightful tale three knights try mercilessly to defend their castle against a strange bearded man in a red suit who wants to gain access. No matter what the brave knights do, that man in red refuses to leave. What will these poor knights do?

I have fond memories of my great grandma reading A Visit From St. Nicholas ('Twa
Autumn
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it

We received this book to give an honest review.

This was a neat take on old story we all know Twas the Night Before Christmas.
In The Knights before Christmas we have three knights who when hearing a clatter they go and investigate oh but behold who could it be? I think it may just be Santa Claus but will the knights let Santa in or will they try to stop him from invading the castle?
K liked the whole story there wasn't just one favorite part though he did s
Lacey
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book aloud to my 5 year old daughter. This is her review:
"The book was awesome and funny. My favorite part was when they saw Santa and thought he was trying to get in ( they thought he was an invader) and Santa just kept trying to get in. I also liked when the Knight said, 'Jingle bells, Invader smells, Jingle all the way.' I also liked when they took all the gifts and presents Santa threw at them and decorated the tree with them. I also love that the author made the book and that sh
Barbara Ann
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very clever version of a Christmas tale base on the poem, ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas. I was immediately drawn to it by the cover and clever play on words in the title. Who can resist a bright and vividly illustrated picture book read aloud? The book’s large size makes it perfect for toddlers and preschoolers to hold, while the clever conversation among the knights provides a humorous and modern version of the Christmas classic for older siblings.

Brave Knight, Silent Knight and Polite Kni
Stephanie Ward
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour, kidlit
This is such a fun book to read aloud. There is so much humor to be found for seasoned readers (i.e. adults) of ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas and simply a great story for children. The word play and puns are incredibly clever as is the overall concept of this delightful book.

Three well-meaning knights — Silent, Polite and Brave — are just doing their job (protecting the king from invaders) but said invader (Santa Claus) is trying to deliver gifts to the castle. What ensues is silly antics as
Sherry Fundin
I saw The Knights Before Christmas by Joan Holub and I thought, what better way to kick off the upcoming holiday season than with a classic, of sorts.

Written with humor and wit, what child wouldn’t delight in feeling they are a hero by saving the castle from the invaders, even if it is Santa.

There will be “reindeer” and Santa and gifts galore.

They will cower with fear, yet man the walls.

The book is large and thin, making it easy for the small hands in the household to hold onto. My biggest conce
Jennifer Jensen
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I signed up to do a book review for The Knights Before Christmas because I loved the title and the cover art, and I wasn't disappointed! (I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.)

As others have said, it's a take-off on Clement Moore's The Night Before Christmas, but instead of a man watching for Santa, three knights are guarding against intruders - Santa and his eight sleigh-pulling "dragons". The knights have individual personalities, shown through fun drawings full of asides an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Here Comes Santa Cat
  • Samurai Santa: A Very Ninja Christmas
  • Isabella Babysits Baxter
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!
  • Little Santa
  • How to Catch Santa
  • Christmas Parade
  • Maple & Willow's Christmas Tree
  • The Third Gift
  • The Day Santa Stopped Believing in Harold
  • Shooting at the Stars
Children's book author:
TOOL SCHOOL; MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; THIS LITTLE TRAILBLAZER, A Girl Power Primer, ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love!