Jump to ratings and reviews

The Vault of Dreamers #2

The Rule of Mirrors

At the remote, exclusive Chimera Centre, families of coma patients come from all over the world seeking miracles. When Althea Flores wakes up from a six-month coma, her recovery defies the limits of hope and science—except she can’t remember anything about her own life. Instead, she has all the memories of Rosie Sinclair, the missing Forge Show star, and she’s pregnant.

Far from the Chimera Centre, in a secret vault, the sleeping body of Rosie Sinclair is captive to the doctors who mine her dreams. Heavily sedated, Rosie struggles to awaken and manipulate her keeper for a chance to escape. She knows what she’ll do once she’s free—wreak vengeance on Dean Berg, the man who stole her dreams and turned her life into a nightmare.

Told in alternating points of view between the girl who has Rosie’s consciousness in a new, pregnant body, and the girl whose shattered subconscious rules Rosie’s old body, the second installment of The Vault of Dreamers trilogy is an intricate, psychologically thrilling novel about layers of identity, what lies in the mirror, and the link between body and soul.

418 pages, Hardcover

First published February 16, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Caragh M. O'Brien

21 books2,207 followers
Caragh M. O'Brien is the author of the BIRTHMARKED trilogy and THE VAULT OF DREAMERS series, both from Macmillan/Roaring Brook Press. Born in St. Paul, Minnesota, Ms. O'Brien earned her BA from Williams College and her MA from Johns Hopkins University. Once a high school English teacher, she resigned to write young adult novels. For more information, visit http://www.caraghobrien.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
113 (6%)
1 star
22 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 190 reviews
Profile Image for jessica.
2,479 reviews29.7k followers
April 15, 2018
so im trying this thing were i attempt to read all of my unfinished series from years ago. and considering i didnt re-read the first book, this didnt go as poorly as i had anticipated!

i dont think ive ever read anything quite like this plot (one girls consciousness in two separate bodies - kind of cool), and it honestly felt like it could be a standalone story. but they did tie in events from the first book, so i appreciated that. im reading the final book tomorrow to finally get this series off my TBR!

Profile Image for Suzzie.
906 reviews164 followers
August 14, 2017
Really twisted, good sequel. I'm looking forward to book three. I was hesitant on starting this series because of some of the stuff I have read and reviewed, but honestly it is a great mixture of psychological thriller & sci-fi. I have really enjoyed the series so far!
Profile Image for Alyssa.
1,069 reviews838 followers
January 12, 2016
Excellent! Very good sequel. I can't wait for book three!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Rule of Mirrors by Caragh O'Brien
Book Two of The Vault of Dreamers series
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Publication Date: February 16, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

The fast-paced, psychologically thrilling sequel to The Vault of Dreamers follows Rosie after her consciousness has been split in two.

The entire country was watching when Rosie Sinclair was expelled from Forge, the prestigious arts school that doubles as a reality TV show. But few know how Dean Berg was mining students' dreams in laboratories deep below the school. And no one, least of all the Dean himself, knows that when Rosie's dreams were seeded into the mind of another patient, Rosie's consciousness woke up in that body--a girl far from Forge, a girl with a completely different life from Rosie, a girl who is pregnant.

Told from alternating points of view between Rosie as she makes sense of her new identity and the shattered subconscious that still exists in her old body, this sequel to The Vault of Dreamers will keep readers on the edge of their seats and leave them hungry for more.

What I Liked:

I read The Vault of Dreamers in August 2014 and I was pretty disappointed by the ending (as well as there were others things that I didn't enjoy). The ending was SO confusing! And at the time, none of us knew that there would be a sequel to the book (or two!), so I was pretty furious with how I thought the book ended. But I'm really pleased to say that this sequel did an amazing job of clearing up what happened at the end of The Vault of Dreamers, and it took the story to a whole new level.

At the end of The Vault of Dreamers, Rosie's consciousness was split. There is Rosie in her body, trapped in the vault of dreamers, mined and seeded by Dean Berg. And then there is Rosie who was seeded into the mind of a brain-dead, lifeless girl who was in a coma for six months, Althea Flores. Althea's parents are so pleased when "Althea" wakes up, but Althea is no longer there; it's all Rosie, the seed of Rosie that IS Rosie. Althea Rosie knows that Rosie Rosie is out there, stuck in the vault. But Rosie Rosie has no idea that Althea Rosie exists. As Rosie Rosie escapes the vault, Althea Rosie must wade through a new life, the life of a pregnant eighteen-year-old.

So now we know! There are "two" Rosie's now. Both are actually Rosie. They are no longer two voices in one head, as we saw at the end of The Vault of Dreamers. I liked Thea's Rosie much more than I liked Rosie in her body (who I'm going to refer to from now on as just "Rosie").

Thea/Rosie is very confused when she wakes up in a hospital, and pregnant. But she quickly realizes that Dr. Fallon has placed a seed of Rosie's into Althea Flores's mind. Thea's parents are convinced that the surgery was successful, but Thea/Rosie tells them the truth - Althea is gone, no longer present in the mind. Still, Thea/Rosie knows that her best chance of finding out where Rosie is and getting Linus's help would be to go home with the Flores family, not pretending that she's Althea, but at least trying to accept her fate.

Except obviously it's not easy when at one breath you're sixteen and crushing on hottie Linus, and in the next breath, you're 18 and pregnant. Even though Thea/Rosie is not the "primary" Rosie, I really liked her more, of the two. Thea/Rosie is so resilient and very resourceful and intelligent. She also doesn't freak out nearly as much as one might when they see that they are pregnant. Everyone knew that Althea was pregnant, before and at the time of her accident. But obviously Thea/Rosie was in for a shock. Anyway, I was impressed with Thea/Rosie.

Rosie herself is not in good shape. She escapes the vault with some help, abandons that help, and finds Burnham Fister. To be honest, I don't remember much about Burnham - although apparently I was wondering what happened to him, at the end of The Vault of Dreamers. I admit, I really liked him, in this book. He's a good guy! We don't see a ton from him in general, but he plays a key role in the climax of the book.

And then Rosie finds Linus too. Linus is the love interest from book one, and the connection is totally still there. I like Linus. The romance between Linus and Rosie is fairly minimal in terms of the amount of pages that it gets, but it's there.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Rosie (the "primary" one), but she has had a rough time, so I should probably cut her some slack. Honestly, towards the end, she got kind of really b***y, especially when she and Thea/Rosie finally meet. But while they are different, they are utterly the same. I definitely liked Thea/Rosie better though. There is a bit of romance for Thea/Rosie, but keep in mind, she is also VERY MUCH Rosie, so it really sucks for her that Rosie (in general) has feelings for Linus (and vice versa), because Thea/Rosie still likes him (despite him not having much of a connection her). Thea/Rosie's love interest is a sweetheart (and not Linus, so I don't see a love triangle manifesting). Basically, two linear romances happening.

This book is no less creepy and thrilling than its predecessor! I got chills during so many scenes. The "sciencey" part of this book is both fascinating and totally creepy; dreams are mined and seeded, allowing the consciousness of a person to enter into another body -a form of immortality, perhaps? We learn why Dean Berg is up to everything, and (kind of) why Rosie is so important. I'm super exited to see where the next book will take us!

The ending of this book was SO intense. Several key things happened one after the other. We're not sure of what is happening to one character, and we don't know where another character is going. It's somewhat of a cliffhanger ending, but NOT a painful one. A hook cliffhanger without it being cruel - which I can handle!

What I Did Not Like:

I really just did NOT like Rosie (the "primary" one) as much as I wanted. I don't remember how I felt about her in The Vault of Dreamers, but I think I liked her. In this book, her split consciousness is nicer and more likable than she herself is. I much preferred reading from Thea/Rosie's POV, than Rosie's POV. Maybe Rosie was too weak (physically and mentally) and I couldn't relate to her? I'm not sure. At the very last scene, she kind of redeemed herself in my eyes. But like, the very last half of the chapter. So I think I'll be okay in book three!

Would I Recommend It:

If you read The Vault of Dreamers, I do recommend reading this book. It's less confusing than book one, and A LOT of things that I didn't like and/or were confused about in book one were explained in this book (like a tooooon of things). There are still things we don't know, but it makes sense because there will be one more book in the series. If you haven't read The Vault of Dreamers, skip the series or wait to binge-read all three!

Rating:

4 stars. A much better novel than its predecessor! I'm glad I decided to keep going with this series, because this book totally hooked me! I can't wait to see how the series ends.
Profile Image for Heather *sad DNF queen*.
Author 17 books429 followers
March 20, 2016
I'm not really sure how to rate this. It was an exciting read, yet there was a huge plot point I didn't like. Essentially having two Rosies was a strange idea, and something I didn't find very enjoyable. Not to mention the pregnancy thing was completely strange, especially Rosie's quick acceptance of it (while she was in Thea's body).

However, this was fast-paced and interesting, especially for the second book of a trilogy. I still really like the romance—I ship Rosie and Linus all the way. I'm looking forward to the third book.
Profile Image for Michelle .
1,990 reviews222 followers
August 14, 2017
**I have tried really hard, but it is unavoidable. This review will have spoilers of book 1. Do not read unless you have read book 1 of this series**

I LOVED The Vault of Dreamers (you can check out my review of book 1 HERE) when I read it last year, and I have been anxiously awaiting the release of book 2- The Rule of Mirrors. And you know how sometimes you love the first book in a series so much, and you are so excited for the second book that you start out with such high expectations, and sometimes the book falls a little flat? That is always the most disappointing thing for me, because I want to love it so bad! Well, that was not the case with Rule of Mirrors at all. I loved this book every bit as much as the first one, and I went into with a very high level of excitement and expectation.

The first book left off at a pretty critical cliffhanger. Rosie had uncovered a major secret of what was happening at her school, and she was expelled. But that is only the start of her (even crazier) journey in book two. The book is told from Rosie's point of view, but it is split between the Rosie we all know and love and the time Rosie is spending in someone else's body. You just have to read it to see what I mean. It is equal parts fascinating and terrifying. Caragh O'Brien is a master storyteller.

One of the frustrating things, but I also kind of loved it, was how much was going on in the book, and how much of it was very very mysterious. It was a confusing atmosphere for Rosie, and for the reader. The Rule of Mirrors still has a lot going on, but a good bit of confusion from the first book was cleared up and explained. The vibe of this book felt a bit different for that reason. Because I already knew and loved the characters, it was easy for me to fall into an addictive rhythm with this story. I really could not put it down because I felt like every time I would want to stop reading (you know, to run an errand, clean or actually get something done.), I would read just a couple more pages and something crazy would happen and I would get right back sucked in again.

Bottom line: if you like dystopians, and even if you are burnt out on them, the combination of dystopian and psychological thriller in this series is a huge hit in my book. I think it is a story that needs to be read. If you have not read the first book, read it now! You will want to dive right into the second book, I can almost guarantee it.

This review was originally posted on Book Briefs
Profile Image for Shannon (It Starts At Midnight).
1,084 reviews1,010 followers
February 1, 2016
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
4.5*

I really liked A Vault of Dreamers, and it ended on kind of a huge cliffhanger (and by "kind of", I mean freaking definitely) so I was pretty interested to see where the next book would go. The ending was a game changer, so it was either going to get epically amazing, or... not.

You probably guessed by now that I liked the direction the plot took. The first book had almost a straight up contemporary feel to it (well, not exactly contemporary, since it's set about 50 years in the future, but other than that, contemporary), while the last 10-20% of the book veered into a more science fiction/dystopian direction. While the first book separated the genres, The Rule of Mirrors blended them seamlessly in a way that made the book very easy to read and keep up with. Without giving anything away, this book could have been messy, but it wasn't at all.

I felt like we got to know the characters on a much deeper level this time around, especially the side characters. There are new characters introduced who added a lot to the story, both in terms of characterisation and plot. I basically flew through reading this book, didn't want to put it down, and cannot wait to see how the story ends.

There's one thing I must mention, and it's really the only reason for my half star deduction: Even though it's supposed to be about 51 years in the future, not much feels different. I mean, they're using laptops and cell phones, and driving gasoline running cars that they still have to stop and fuel up, stuff like that. And if you think about fifty years ago, things looked a lot different, so I kind of assume they will fifty years from now too?

But aside from that one minor complaint, I was hooked on this book. The pace was great, I was invested in the characters and the story, and I need book three!

Bottom Line: This is how you do a second book in a trilogy justice. It wasn't filler, it was full on content, and great content at that. Not only did it clear up the stuff left hanging at the end of the last book (in a very coherent way), but it brought forth a lot of new, thought provoking questions that I think readers will really enjoy pondering.

Copy provided by publisher for review.
Profile Image for Kathy Martin.
3,292 reviews73 followers
December 31, 2015
This is the second book in the Vault of the Dreamers trilogy. It is told from two points of view. Rosie who was left behind in her body and the Rosie who became a dream seed and was reseeded into the body of a brain dead pregnant girl in a clinic in Iceland. Both have harrowing adventures.

The Rosie who is still in a vault and being mined of her dreams is let awaken periodically by a creepy attendant who is fixated on her. She uses that fixation to engineer her escape from the hidden clinic outside Denver. Then, bent on revenge, she contacts Burnham who sends a car to bring her to him in Atlanta. She and Burnham have a complicated relationship and her current situation doesn't make it easier.

Meanwhile, the Rosie who was seeded into Althea wakes up surrounded by loving parents, only they are Althea's parents and they don't believe that Rosie is now living in Althea's body. They begin by thinking that the doctor who seeded her can tweak things and get their Althea back. Now calling herself Thea, this Rosie feels trapped inside a body not her own and, no matter what she tries, she can't convince anyone who knew her that she is really Rosie. Her main support is Althea's boyfriend Tom who wishes she was still Althea but is convinced she is not.

Both Rosies contact Linus at different times and both love him in their own way. The only problem with that is that Linus might not be as free of Dr. Berg as he thinks he is. And Dr. Berg is still lurking in the background and has evil designs on Rosie - both Rosies.

Has anyone else noticed a trend to have evil scientists as villains in YA literature lately? Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there because I read a lot of science fiction. Anyway, Dr. Berg really fits the pattern of an unethical scientist who justifies his actions because of his desire for some greater good.

This was an entertaining and thought-provoking middle book in a trilogy which will leave the reader longing for the next book.
Profile Image for l..
491 reviews1,923 followers
September 3, 2020
3 1/2 stars

While I liked the first installment, The Vault of Dreamers, of The Vault of Dreamers series better, I nevertheless still enjoyed The Rule of Mirrors.

Above all, what sets this series apart from other YA futuristic/science-fiction trilogies is, that although it's very much plot-driven, the development of characters and relationships is still flawlessly done.

Caragh M. O'Brien managed to make me invest in and care for Rosie from the very beginning, and even after all this time (I think I read the first book in this series two or three years ago?) I'm still taken right back to where I left off. Rosie and Linus' relationship continues to tug at my heartstrings, and I just really wish they could finally, finally get a few moments of bliss together with no worries - even though I also feel deeply for Burnham.

I'm definitely eagerly awaiting the publication of the next and last installment.

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Profile Image for ☆Stephanie☆.
342 reviews42 followers
March 27, 2016
I going to go crazy waiting for the last book in this series. It is so intense. Some stuff I figured out on my own, but other stuff just keep surprises me. I love that O'Brien manages to do that.
In her Birthmarked trilogy, she did the same thing, but I was fortunate because all the books had been published by the time I found them. Waiting for a book is frustrating. And I need to know what happens to Rosie. Will she end up with Linus, like I hope? Will she go back to being whole? Will Berg get what he deserves, or is he a pawn, too? And what the hell is going on??? There is such a deep plot that I wonder how the author's brain works to create such a story world.
When I read Vault of Dreamers, I was a little skeptical about the whole premise. I liked it, but in some ways it seemed like Rosie was a little delusional, especially since she heard a voice in her head, which would seriously have me doubting my sanity. But after this book, I must know the whole picture. And I really hope she doesn't keep us waiting much longer.
If you've read the first book and you're on the fence about reading this one, just go for it. It is SO worth it. Every pulse-pounding, hand-wringing, frustratingly torturous moment. So very worth it. I think O'Brien is a brilliant writer. Now to just wait patiently for the conclusion.
Is it out yet?
Now?
Argh.
Profile Image for Shelley.
5,103 reviews458 followers
February 18, 2016
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

The Rule of Mirrors, by Caragh M. O'Brien, is the second installment in The Vault of Dreamers series. It has been three months since 16-year old Rose (Rosie) Sinclair was expelled from the Forge School and Dean Berg became her legal guardian. Trapped in a vault of dreams, Rosie doesn't realize it but her conscious has split into two. One with the original Rosie, and the other with 18-year old Thea, who has been in a coma and is also pregnant.

*Full Review Posting @ Gizmos Reviews 02/18/2016* Link to Follow

Published: February 16th 2016 by Roaring Brook Press
Profile Image for Morgan.
1,674 reviews74 followers
May 21, 2016
I'm going to be in the minority here, but I think this is the end of this series for me.

I liked the first one okay and the premise was interesting, but this was a hot mess. If Rosie being stuck in a pod and being dream-mined with some creeper letting her wake up for some fantasy of his wasn't squicky enough... Having her consciousness partially split off into another body of a brain-dead, pregnant girl at the same time...

Ugh.

The writing itself is beautiful, but the story was just so fractured and all over the place. :/

Like I said though, I am definitely in the minority here.
Profile Image for Lyn *GLITTER VIKING*.
345 reviews99 followers
March 13, 2016
2.5

Strong start, and then the book unraveled into a love-polygon, formula checklist mess. This series has so much to give, and yet, we keep falling back on the same old material again and again. I'm so sick of this series using the romance to get by, and then just rushing around with the rest of the story line. Get off of it!

Also, forcing a girl to be pregnant in another body? Rape.
Profile Image for Jesslivraddict.
392 reviews273 followers
May 13, 2018
Pour ma part, j'ai trouvé ce second tome meilleur que le premier.
J'ai aimé le fait que la conscience de Rosie soit séparée et dans 2 corps différents, ce qui a permis de voir que même si au départ, il s'agit de la même personne, au moment où elles sont séparées, chaque conscience devient unique et propre.
J'ai aussi aimé les questions et réflexions éthiques et morales que posent l'histoire sur le fait 1) de sonder les rêves de qqn (à son insu) et de les extraire pour les implanter dans quelqu'un d'autre, 2) sur les limites de la science, surtout face à la question de l'immortalité (question abordée dans ce livre) et 3) sur le choix des parents d'Althea qui ont décidé de garder leur fille dans le coma en vie sous prétexte de sauver son enfant à naître alors qu'à la base, sa volonté était d'avorter (ce dernier choix m'a mis mal à l'aise non seulement parce que des parents ont pris la liberté de décider à la place de leur fille majeure mais aussi par rapport à la question de la vie à tout prix (et à quel prix ? Faut-il avoir les moyens financiers pour tout essayer ?) quand la médecine n'a plus de réponse).
La fin m'a de nouveau prise aux tripes et j'ai hâte de lire le tome 3. Même si j'ai quelques suppositions sur ce qui pourrait arriver, j'avoue que je m'attends à tout et que je ne sais pas vraiment à quoi m'attendre, ce qui rend le tout encore plus stressant !

Sinon ce que j'ai moins aimé ;
1) Le côté romance qui part dans tous les sens (Théa / Rosie qui ne sait plus où se placer entre Tom (le petit copain d'Althéa et père du bébé) et Linus mais aussi Rosie / Rosie qui dit à Burhnam qu'elle n'est pas prête pour une histoire car elle est "brisée" à l'intérieur mais qui 2 jours plus tard, n'a pas les mêmes états d'âme avec Linus)
2) Rosie / Rosie... Pour moi, elle représente la voix secondaire de Rosie, celle qui intervenait de temps en temps dans le tome 1, la "vraie Rosie" était partie dans le corps d'Althéa. Du coup, plus on avançait dans l'histoire, moins j'arrivais à apprécier ce personnage qui a un côté très sombre, plus enclin à la vengeance que l'autre partie de Rosie dans le corps d'Althéa qui cherche plus à renouer des liens et surtout à accepter ce qui lui arrive.
3) Si au début, j'ai été assez surprise de la révélation par rapport au père de Rosie, au final je trouve qu'elle ne fait que rajouter une couche de "too much".
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts).
652 reviews231 followers
February 24, 2018
The second book in The Vault of Dreamers starts from the cliffhanger of sorts O’Brien left off with, though I personally think The Vault of Dreamers should've been left alone as a stand-alone. This sequel might be a little disorienting at first, as Rosa is in another body and it takes awhile to figure out what was going on.

This review was originally posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts
Profile Image for Nikki.
45 reviews1 follower
November 17, 2015
Wonderful, fantastic, amazing. The ending is even more frustrating than the ending of "Vault of Dreamers". I need the 3rd book now. Pretty pretty please? I have to know how this series ends.
Profile Image for Jenny.
911 reviews181 followers
May 8, 2016
This one was hard to put down! I just love the premise of this series, such an original idea! Can't wait for the next book!!
Profile Image for Dark Faerie Tales.
2,274 reviews544 followers
September 25, 2016
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A fast paced addition to the series that I enjoyed more than the previous one.

Opening Sentence: When I feel soft, breathy pressure on my lips, I open my eyes and grab the guy’s throat.

The Review:

Spoilers for book one! Rosie is still trapped in the vault of dreamers, her own personal hell, having her creativity and parts of herself mined in order for The Forge School (reality TV series crossed with an arts academy) to have shady undertakings. And another part of Rosie is awakening in the body of a coma patient across the globe, a girl called Althea who has different circumstances and who is very pregnant. Rosie will attempt to escape and gain revenge. Althea-Rosie will attempt to make sense of her new surroundings and decide on her future. Pasts will be exposed. Secrets will come to light. Vengeance will be sought.

Last year I read The Vault of Dreamers. I thought it was a decent read, but nothing I was completely lost in or something I felt was exceptional. The reality show premise was a nice twist that added interest to the story and laid the groundwork for Rosie’s adventuring and discovery, so I enjoyed it. For this novel, I wasn’t quite sure what was going to be happening, now that Rosie’s consciousness had fled and Rosie herself was trapped in the vault. When I read the synopsis, I will admit, I was pleasantly surprised. Rosie’s consciousness lives on – in another body! And not just any body, but a pregnant one, a body with a loving and wealthy family, a girl in entirely different circumstances.

To my horror, the love triangle was not completely decimated yet, although I don’t know how it could have been left resolved in book one. I thought it was unfortunate how Rosie used both guys to her advantage and as an asset, but in Rosie’s defense, she was in a tricky situation. Rosie (nor Thea) didn’t really fully trust anyone in this novel, which is understandable. Dean Berg used relationships and twisted them to manipulate the characters in his sick little game, so it was difficult to really know whose presence was going to be your undoing, whether or not the boys realized it. The love triangle is still unresolved to my eyes, but I don’t fault O’Brien too much for that – the plotline, action, and suspense was still a formidable section of this novel and what I chose to focus on.

Speaking of Dean Berg, he definitely grew as a villain in this novel for me. Knowing some of his backstory helped to explain his motivation and the reasons he was doing what he did. It made sense that he would be driven to such actions by an unfortunate past, and a glance at his life gave a clue to his share of issues. Nevertheless, there was nothing about his past that made his present ethically justified, and his failure to realize that was probably what caused him to go so far and spiral away from his original goals. I still feel that book three will need to address more of Dean Berg and his family, and come full circle in order to explain his point of view. A villain without a backstory is not nearly as frightening as an antagonist with a purpose and a goal, in my opinion.

Altogether, this novel was a good one, and in my opinion better than the first. Again, I didn’t feel fully connected to the story, but that could be partly my fault – I’ve been in a reading block lately and not many of the books I’ve opened I’ve finished, so this novel gets props for my actually reading it. Rosie and Althea were a lot of fun and it was cool seeing how different parts of Rosie differed, and how they both grew as the story progressed. The ending had a couple pretty big twists and I’m unsure how the next novel will continue – there is a lot of the story left open ended, after all! If you enjoyed the first book, however, be sure to grab this one.

Notable Scene:

“I know what’s real,” I whisper.

“Do you? What about me?”

My heart leaps in terror.

Ian’s face shimmers for a second and comes back into focus, nearer and harshly clear. “Desperate people invest desperate solutions. It’s not my fault if they do,” he says, in the voice of Dean Berg.

FTC Advisory: Fierce Reads/Roaring Book Press/Macmillan provided me with a copy of The Rule of Mirrors. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
Profile Image for Sarah Elizabeth.
4,670 reviews1,269 followers
June 23, 2022
Well, poor Rosie! Things just get worse for her in this book!
Profile Image for faith.
69 reviews5 followers
May 13, 2017
honestly, this book was a roller coaster from start to finish. it's crazy how Rosie could be in two separate bodies, but I am unsure what happened to Althea. did her brain just- die? it's kind of creepy because essentially, if that's true, Rosie is living in a dead person's body. one part that was interesting was when Rosie

the way the author presents the dual perspective is really interesting. one of the perspectives is Rosie's conscious, trapped in a stranger's body. the other is Rosie's subconscious, who has now taken over their old body, as Rosie. at first, it was kind of confusing, trying to figure out which Rosie knew what, but as soon as I was able to grasp onto what was happening, it was a really cool concept.

I don't think the next book, The Keep of Ages (The Vault of Dreamers, #3) by Caragh M. O'Brien comes out until August, which is a long time to be waiting. hopefully, Caragh M. O'Brien continues to use the dual Rosie perspective, which was one of my favorite elements of the book. I will definitely be checking out The Keep of Ages when it comes out.
Profile Image for Claire.
798 reviews92 followers
Want to read
August 1, 2018
Yeah, I'm not reading this series anymore.
This 1995 film sounds similar to the concept in this series.
description

"...this visually-striking fantasy film concerns a deranged scientist who kidnaps orphan children in an attempt to slow down the aging process by stealing their dreams."
Profile Image for Emily Fisher.
97 reviews8 followers
February 11, 2017
*deep sigh* I feel very disappointed in this book... I loved the first one in middle school, but this one totally did not reach my expectations! I waited so long for this sequel too.... the characters drove me crazy, the way they acted, the "logic" behind their plans. Oh well... I guess I can't love all the books that are sequels to books I used to love....
Profile Image for nat..
376 reviews182 followers
Read
September 6, 2017
Rosie needs to stop being suspicious of Linus. I get why she would be wary about everything and everyone, who wouldn't be in her position, the damage done to her it's pretty much irreversible but he's been nothing but loyal to her. and what does she do, leave him in the dust ... again. 🙄

also the whole Rosie/Thea was pretty freaky, I don't know if believable yet but definitely weird.
Profile Image for Ashley.
122 reviews
February 12, 2018
Nooooooo, why must it be over!! This series = amazing! First book was better but this one was just as great and messed up (in a good way) as the first one. Starting the third book right away! Brillant!
Profile Image for Karissa.
20 reviews1 follower
February 27, 2017
So far The Vault of Dreamers series is pretty bland. The characters have no life to them whatsoever and they're so fickle it makes me crazy. Tom is literally the only character I like so far.
Even though I had to force myself several times to keep reading, I will be reading The Keep of Ages, out of curiosity to see how everything plays out.
Profile Image for Erin Arkin.
1,640 reviews358 followers
January 17, 2016
The Rule of Mirrors by Caragh M. O’Brien is book two of the series and I was so excited to get my hands on this one. This book picks up right after book one ends and O’Brien did a wonderful job of pulling me right back into the story. If you haven’t read The Vault of Dreamers, you may want to stop reading here because while I won’t spoil The Rule of Mirrors, I can’t swear I won’t give anything away from book one.

If you recall, Rosie’s consciousness was split into two at the end of the last book and now she isn’t fully herself. Thanks to a technician, Rosie wakes up in a sleep therapy and research clinic in Denver months later and she immediately begins to come up with a plan to escape. She knows she is missing pieces of herself and she is worried about her family and friends. I will say that Rosie’s portion of the story has more of the action. As she is escaping getting captured and handed back to the clinic, she is also trying to figure out what Berg has been up to and why and eventually crosses paths again with Burnham and Linus as well as Thea.

One of the twists here is that the other part of Rosie’s mind is now embedded into a young pregnant girl named Thea. This is the part of her mind that holds the memories of her family and Thea wakes up after being in a coma and is surrounded by people she has no memory of and I have to say, she handles it pretty well. The challenge for her is not only adapting to her old life with her parents but also trying to build relationships with people who think they know her. It isn’t easy for Thea because she is more attached to people she doesn’t know and because of that, she reaches out to those who have no idea who she is – like Rosie’s family and Linus. Eventually, she talks her baby’s father (Tom) into taking a roadtrip with her and they head out to see Thea’s family and tour Forge.

Linus is now hosting a pretty popular television show that finds lost children. I wish we would have gotten more information on what happened between now and the end of book one with him but as the story progresses, we learn a bit about what he has been up to and how much he and Rosie still care about each other. He is definitely still the person Rosie still has feelings for and that impacts the relationship Thea has with Tom.

I loved that we got to see Burnham again. I thought it was important to see what happened to him after the close of book one and I loved that he wasn’t letting his injury hold him back. His drive to push through and get better is something I love about his piece of the story. Well, that and the fact that no matter what Rosie feels about him, he will do whatever he can to help her.

Overall this was a great book two. A lot happens (obviously I’m not telling you everything) and I enjoyed how O’Brien essentially took one character, split her up into two, developed 2 stories and brought them both back together. I am excited to see where O’Brien takes the next book as she left things in such a way that I don’t know what to expect next. If you are looking for a Young Adult, Sci-Fi that has some solid characters, a great story, and the creep factor (think hacking your mind and taking your thoughts), definitely consider this series. I for sure am looking forward to the next book of this series.

Thank you to the publisher for the review copy!
Profile Image for Chezsa.
470 reviews
April 26, 2018
This book was truly a mess. There was definitely more action and drama in this one than the first one but it was Uncalled For!!! I don't think this series succeeds as a psychological thriller because I feel more frustrated with the character than any kind of sympathy for whatever mental illness they might be going through.

The writing felt so weird, it seemed like the author was trying to use 'hip' language but it was clearly an adult trying to sound like a teen.
steve buscemi
Also it was so weird because she was doing this weird Teen Speak but then the situations and style of writing made a lot of it seem very adult and made the characters seem more mature than they actually were. For example when Rosie was at Burnham's house like that felt like a Drama Tv Show for Your Adult Mom and Her Friends Who Love Watching A Good Affair and a Nice Glass of Wine. Not your angsty teenager, you know?? Also it annoyed me how she changed Ellen's name to Emily in the middle of the book. Did you just forget your character's name? Were you too lazy to double check? Or is it just preference? I'm so confused.

At some points it seemed like the author was trying so hard to make the book multicultural like when Rosie went to the gas station and the store clerk was wearing a Sari because she's South Asian LMAO I don't know any other first gen immigrant that wears their cultural garb 24/7 to work everyday if I did that at a minimum wage job they'd probably fire me for not wearing the uniform. It's ridiculous.

In the end I didn't like the plot of this book, it seemed like a dollar store version of Stephenie Meyer's The Host, which I Really Loved! The interaction between Rosie/Thea/Linus/Thea's Bf at Linus' house was just annoying. Just Everything was ANNOYING! I really did not enjoy this book. Thank you for reading.
Profile Image for Jessie Potts.
1,179 reviews103 followers
February 17, 2016
With Valentine’s Day and The Walking Dead‘s return making February my favorite month, we also have so many awesome YA’s releasing that deserve some love! I asked Caragh M. O’Brien (The Rule of Mirros), C.J. Redwine (The Shadow Queen) and Amy Matayo (The End of the World) to talk all things YA and romance.

Jessie: Tell readers about your book.

Caragh: The Rule of Mirrors is the story of one mind and two bodies. Rosie Sinclair, who had her dreams mined in the first book of the series, The Vault of Dreamers, now finds her consciousness has split, and part of her awakens in the body of a pregnant girl far from home. The other part of her remains in her original, captive body, and as she manipulates her way to freedom, she’s focused on revenge. It’s an intricate, psychological story, and it gave me a chance to explore how our personalities might adapt if we found ourselves in different bodies with new lives.

Jessie: Do you have a favorite YA hero or heroine?

Caragh: One of my favorites is A in Every Day by David Levithan. That book resonated with me because it, too, explores the connection between a person’s essence and his or her body, though Levithan’s story approaches it in a very different way. It’s a great read and I highly recommend it.

Head over to the HEA Blog to see more of Caragh's answers as well as some fun from C.J. Redwine and Amy Matayo
Displaying 1 - 30 of 190 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.