Start by marking “Lenny & Lucy” as Want to Read:
Lenny & Lucy

Lenny & Lucy

Peter and his father are moving to a new house beyond the dark unfriendly woods. When they arrive at their new home, Peter wants to turn back. Fortunately, he has Harold for company, but Harold is just a dog and can't help Peter. Scared of the things hidden in the woods, Peter makes a tall pile of pillows. He stitches and sews. He pushes and pulls. And when he is done, he ...more
Published October 6th 2015 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Lenny & Lucy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lenny & Lucy

Start your review of Lenny & Lucy
Sam Bloom
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I want to move to Ann Arbor and be best friends with the Steads.
M. Lauritano
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
There is a lot of buzz about this new book from the Steads, who previously won the Caldecott for A Sick Day for Amos McGee. People are claiming it has true depth and meaning. If Philip and Erin had some idea for a deeper meaning here, it most certainly is not getting across to me. And depth, subtlety, quiet--these are qualities that I hugely appreciate in picture books.

Reading reviews around the web, I am beginning to feel like I am the only person out there who is not in love with Erin Stead's
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

What a strange little book.

The Steads create a very unique tone and view on the page. Quiet and a bit dark, but comforting. The illustrations are almost Gorey-ish. The wallpaper and coloring really remind me of an Edward Gorey world.

Peter, his Dad, and his dog--Harold, move to a new house. Uncertainty, change, and loneliness settle in, but perhaps a few new friends can help.

An original tale with a quirky flavor about how friends can help keep the deep, dark woods on the other side of the bridge
Laura Harrison
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Erin and Philip Stead. Their collaborations are pure gold. There is a warmth to the illustrations that remind one of vintage childrens books. And I mean the best childrens books. The art is flawless. Lovely, original story.
Melki
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
An unusual tale of a boy and his dog who are a bit nervous about their new house in the country. So nervous, in fact, that they construct huge "guardians" that look like homeless people to keep the dark woods on the other side of the bridge leading to their house. I guess the moral is that friends keep the scary stuff away, but I was really only in this one for the artwork.

description

description
Cheryl
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Huh? Same old story, told in a new, bleaker way. So many questions, too: Where's mom? Why is dad so worried, or sad, or whatever? (Are the answers to both that she has recently died or left them?) How did they get so many blankets and pillows in that little car? How could Peter have not considered Millie's house until she just showed up suddenly (I thought I'd skipped a page there). Even the 'happy' ending has no joy or color.

I like subtle and quiet. I like creative and original. This was all th
Sara Grochowski
This book is everything you'd expect from the brilliant husband and wife team of Philip C. Stead and Erin E. Stead. I found myself wanting to read it again and again, wishing I could sink into these gorgeous spreads and meet the magical Lenny & Lucy. This will pair beautifully with Liz Garton Scanlon's The Good-Pie Party and Eve Bunting and Lauren Castillo's Yard Sale. ...more
Rachael
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The illustrations are glorious - Erin Stead is amazing - but I'm not sure what I think of the text yet. It's a bit twee. And how many blankets and pillows does that family own, anyway? Did they belong to the absent mother? Are there maybe dead siblings too?

You see what you do, Philip Stead? You make me conjure up dead siblings.

Vikki VanSickle
Another tour-de-force from one of my fave picture book pairings. A simple, unadorned and effective text about loneliness and the balm of friendship and imagination. There is a slight undercurrent of the uncanny or unknown, but one that seems apropos to childhood and isn't unnecessarily unsettling. The muted palette and shadowy forests provide the perfect atmosphere for a story that lodges itself in your subconscious and your heart. ...more
Jj
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Meh. I know this couple is critically acclaimed and beloved, and I *should* be into their work. But I just can't work up much feeling or interest. I appreciate the artwork and writing, yes, but nothing more. Sorry, Steads. It's not you, it's me. OR IS IT??? ...more
Jillian
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Add me to the crowd who "doesn't get it." The illustrations are lovely - I agree with a couple folks who said they were reminded of Edward Gorey. I can see it if I squint, and that's a good thing. (I adore Gorey.)

The story is very odd. And disjointed. It definitely needs more explanation of what goes on in-between the pages. It's not even that it's trying too hard to be whimsical - maybe exactly the opposite. It's whimsical without trying to be, and as a result the whimsy just sort of spins off
Stacey
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Steads are a dynamic duo. The power of Philip's words and Erin's illustrations are fabulous. Lenny & Lucy makes me feel like I'm six again and sitting in the corner of our dusty old public library with Mercer Mayer in my hands. This book has a classic, nostalgic feel for me.

This is such a sweet and beautiful story about friendship and new adventures.
Michele Knott
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ooooohhhhhhhh.
This is why everyone has been raving about this book.
The illustrations are gorgeous. I would love to spend the day with Erin Stead and watch her work.
The story made my heart happy.
My favorite Stead collaboration yet!
Edward Sullivan
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The anxiety, fear, and feeling of isolation a young child fears after moving to a new home are brilliantly depicted in this imaginative, subtle, and comforting picture book.
Jenny
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Peter and his family have just moved to a new home. Peter and his dog Harold like the old house better. They imagine terrible things are in the woods behind the house. Then they use pillows and blankets to create "Lenny, the Guardian of the Bridge." Lenny is a wonderful guardian, never moving from his post and not allowing any monsters to cross the bridge. But maybe Lenny is lonely? So they create Lucy.

I love this story of friendship and imagination. I love the illustrations. This is a fairly s
Angelina
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

There are certain pairings of author-illustrator that I, quite simply, anticipate and cherish. After my first reading of Caldecott Medal Winner A Sick Day for Amos McGee, I knew that the Steads' joint work would be a pairing that I would always look forward to; their next joint picture book, Bear Has a Story to Tell further cemented that. For their third work together, Lenny & Lucy, the Steads' have crafted another stunning picture book: a gentle, unusual and enchanting work that shines in its s
Richie Partington
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: LENNY & LUCY by Philip C. Stead and Erin E. Stead, ill. Roaring Brook/Neal Porter, October 2015, 40p., ISBN: 978-1-59643-932-0

“Watching and waiting for a friend to play with
Why have I been alone so long?”
-- The Moody Blues (1969)

“And when they’d finally left the woods and stood safely on the other side of the wooden bridge, Peter said, ‘This house is not as good as our old house. I want to go back.’
But no one heard except for Harold--who was only a dog and couldn’t do much about
Lisa
The illustrations are so beautiful, and the story is so sweet. One of my favorites.
Marfita
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
A family moves. The young boy, Peter, is nervous about living in a new house so close to the dark woods. His dog, Harold, picks up on this and is nervous too. So Peter creates a large, lumpy pillow person named Lenny to guard the bridge that leads to the woods. When Peter perceives loneliness in Lenny, which also keeps him and his dog from sleeping, he makes another person, this time out of leaves, named Lucy. Eventually, a friendship saves everyone.
The illustrations are mostly grey on buff colo
Jana
I really enjoyed this picture book. Before I even opened the book, I was drawn to the cover art of the wood-paneled car loaded up with this family's possessions and the drive through the tall trees of the forest. And on the back cover, the flowered wallpaper with the sentence "And Millie was a good friend to Peter." That sentence intrigued me, as neither Millie nor Peter's name is in the title.

The book opens with this scene, as you meet Peter, who is very unhappy about this trip. We're not sure
Jim Erekson
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, dark
From this author/illustrator pair I expect more than a simple corresponding relationship between text and pictures. Everything in the words is directly given in the pictures, with barely a couple of spots left for imagination and inference of what is happening off page. The story itself is the usual "my parents moved and I don't like the new place" story, with the expected "just wait, you'll find friends" sermon. This theme is very real to me from childhood, but it's not interesting to read unle ...more
Margie
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Take it from one who knows, moving is mentally and physically exhausting. The stress from the mess of packing, assignment of duties to willing helpers, phone calls to utilities, banks, mortgage companies, title companies, realtors and moving company personnel seem to be never ending. Getting boxes, shaping boxes, taping boxes, loading boxes, bubble wrapping anything and everything, lifting and carrying are enough of a work-out to earn extra points on the daily exercise chart. Then when you arriv
Annette
LENNY & LUCY by Philip C. Stead is an absorbing picture book sharing the melancholy of moving and joy of budding friendship.

Peter isn’t happy about moving to an old house across a wooden bridge from the dark woods. He builds two pillow people to stand guard at the bridge and keep him company. When a new neighbor invites him to play, Harold begins to feel more comfortable in this strange, new setting.

Stead’s imaginative illustrations draw readers into the setting and bring Harold’s world to life.
Sandy Brehl
I'd read so many glowing reviews about this before I got my hands on it that I half-expected to be disappointed. My reaction was quite the opposite. There are so many depths to plumb in this book, for readers, writers, illustrators and, above all, kids, that it is likely to remain a classic for generations. The background images (and color tones) are a story in themselves, but nothing outshines the subtle, gentle, powerful story Peter and Harold, and Lenny & Lucy, and Millie, of course.
Rather t
Linda
It's a sweet story about the loneliness of moving, with starkly gray and snowy woods filling the pages on the journey to a new house, Peter, a young boy, said: “I think this is a terrible idea.” The only one who seems to have heard him is his dog, Harold. In the days to come, Lenny & Lucy come into being, real characters, who seem to come to life, at least in Peter’s imagination. The story intrigued both myself and my granddaughter who kept asking, “Are they real?” Everyone needs to read this bo ...more
Samantha
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A friendship story wrapped up in a story about moving.

I really like the language of the text; Peter's dialogue is so simple, but says so much and in beautifully arranged sentences no less.

The artwork (carbon transfer printing, egg tempera, and charcoal) is layered with emotion and really complements the range of emotions Peter is feeling about the move and the new house etc.

This is a book that can be read and reread and reveal something deep and meaningful and different with each reading.

PreK-
Adrienne Pettinelli
I've read this a few times and only just noticed it's entirely full page spreads, which is interesting because I don't see (or maybe notice?) that a lot. I love the lightness and delicacy in Stead's drawings, particularly the characters. I like the way the yellow and blue of the beginning turn into the green of Lenny's coat. Even though these are all full spreads, Stead varies her compositions and perspectives, making the whole feel dynamic and giving a sense of fullness to that world around the ...more
Mell
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So sweet, so poignant. Beautifully drawn and lovingly written. The authors capture that sense of discomfort and loneliness that comes with being in a new place, and the sense of anxiety you feel when you're a sensitive kind of kid.

I love that Peter is so thoughtful. He knows the shadows of solitude, and doesn't want his guardian to experience that void. Lenny and Lucy are wonderful. (They hold hands on one page!) Enjoyed the fine detail of the illustrations - everything from the owl to the Vict
Diane
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Beautifully illustrated in a shadowy, spare method, the pictures complement the anxiety felt by a boy moving to a new home with his father and dog. To protect himself from scary woods, he creates Lenny and Lucy. They attract a new friend and begin the process of his becoming at home in the new house. This story is about fear and passing through fear tolearn and grow.

• In a Jar
  • Earth! My First 4.54 Billion Years
  • The Sound of All Things
  • Attack of the Underwear Dragon
  • Amy Wu and the Patchwork Dragon
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • Meesha Makes Friends
  • A Picnic in October
  • Lift
  • Hurry Up!: A Book About Slowing Down
Philip C. Stead is the author of the Caldecott Medal winning book A Sick Day for Amos McGee, also named a New York Times Best Illustrated Book of 2010 and a Publishers Weekly Best Children’s Book of 2010, illustrated by his wife, Erin E. Stead. Together with Erin, he also created Bear Has a Story to Tell, an E.B. White Read-Aloud Award honor book. Philip, also an artist, has written and illustrate ...more

News & Interviews

Nature, in Her infinite awesomeness, can provide solace even when you’re stuck in the house. As a matter of fact, the numbers suggest that...