Start by marking “Little Elliot, Big Family” as Want to Read:
Little Elliot, Big Family

Little Elliot, Big Family (Little Elliot)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  663 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
When Mouse heads off to a family reunion, Little Elliot decides go for a walk. As he explores each busy street, he sees families in all shapes and sizes. In a city of millions, Little Elliot feels very much alone-until he finds he has a family of his own!
Published October 6th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published October 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Little Elliot, Big Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Elliot, Big Family

Стефан Русинов
Рисунките са майсторски - сами по себе си красиви и детайлни, за дълго взиране и обсъждане, но и умело разказващи, с много смени в настроението и ъгъла, с внимателно обмислена роля в цялостната история - някъде по-просторни и монотонни, другаде по-пищни и динамични. Страшно ми хареса.
Книжни Криле
Вижте кой ни маха с днес с петнистото си хоботче. Елиът, малкото слонче с голямо сърце! Дело на талантливия илюстратор Майк Кюрито, поредицата за Малкия Елиът си е спечелила много почитатели по целия свят. А ето, че спечели и нас с книжката „Малкият Елиът и голямото семейство” (изд. „Прозорец”)

Hannah
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Elliot wondered what it would be like to have 147 cousins. Or even just one.”

The new addition to the Elliot series is just as adorable and wonderful as the first–and this one packs a huge emotional wallop. Elliot’s best friend Mouse goes off to his family reunion, where he will celebrate with his “parents, grandparents, 15 brothers, 19 sisters, 25 aunts, 27 uncles, and 147 cousins.” Left alone, Elliot begins to walk around the city, where it seems like everyone except him is having fun with the
Lydia
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Elliot and Mouse are still room-mates in the city, but Mouse has a big family reunion coming up, so Elliot makes plans to do things on his own for the day. However, he misses his friend and the family he doesn't know. But just when it looks like he's going to have a lonely day, Mouse shows up, realizing that his family reunion was missing someone.

Again, Mr. Curato manages to tell a great tale of friendship and family who isn't blood, but belong just the same. Also a good reminder for adults and

Bistra Ivanova
Безкрайно нежна, мила, добра книжка - трогателна история, емоционална, разкошни внушителни картинки, сладурска, романтична, а героите са такива душички!! Много, много ми хареса и благодаря на Стефан, че насочи вниманието ми! Прекрасна изненада на българския пазар! Препоръчвам и аз!
Erica
Wonderful! We love Little Elliot. A sweet story of family both the family you're born into and who becomes your family.

Mouse is going to his family reunion with hundreds of relatives. Elliot walks around the city and sees moms, dads, sisters, brothers, uncles and grandmothers and becomes quite sad. He goes to a movie and is alone in the theatre and he misses mouse terribly, then he hears his name and it's Mouse. Mouse tells Elliot he's part of Mouse's family.

Carrie Gelson
These Little Elliot titles seem like they should be just too sweet and not quite work. But instead, they are absolutely sweet and completely capture the reader. No overly sugary after taste. Just big breath, full heart moments. Well done Mike Curato, you have something amazing figured out.
Beth
Love Elliot, love mouse, love this book.
Baby Bookworm
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Today’s book is Little Elliot, Big Family by Mike Curato, a story about the family we have and the family we make.

The second book in the Little Elliot series, the story opens with Elliot (a small, spotted elephant who lives in NYC) and his best friend and roommate Mouse waking to a lovely winter day. Mouse is in a rush; his family reunion is today, and he’s looking forward to se
Shaunterria
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A continuation of the much-beloved Little Elliot series, Big Family brings readers another adventure with the most adorable polka-dotted elephant in the world, Elliot. It is time for his best friend Mouse to attend its family reunion, leaving Elliot alone to wander the city for the day. As Elliot roams a 1940s, multicultural, multigenerational New York City, he reflects on all the different kinds of families he sees, and his lack of one. After a visit to a movie theatre, where he watches a film ...more
Katy-Margaret Doss
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-350
This is a review for Little Elliot, Big Family by Mike Curato. This book is about a little elephant named Elliot and his best friend mouse. In this story, mouse goes to his family reunion and while he is gone Elliot walks through out the city looking at the different families that he sees. As he is seeing all these families he is sad because he doesn't have a family. Then, mouse finds him and brings him to his family reunion and Elliot feels like he is apart of a family. I really liked this stor ...more
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Elliot's friend, Mouse, went to his very large mouse family reunion, leaving Elliot home alone. Elliot went for a walk in the city, noticing many different families together. He felt lonely. When someone called his name everything changed for the better for him.
Lovely story of friendship and acceptance. Delightful illustrations.

How I adore the Elliot books. These quaint, peaceful, relaxing books are a joy to read. I really like the relationship between Elliot and Mouse. I like how the illustrations show families doing everyday things. I like how Mouse included Elliot and made him an honorary member of his family. If there was a series I'd add to my shelves, this would be one of them.
Vivian
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Elliot, a small spotted pachyderm who lives in what might by NYC in the 1940's, has no extended family but his small friend mouse has relatives in spades. Elliot wanders the city the day of mouse's reunion and winds up lonely and cold and bored, that is until mouse's inclusive family welcomes him to their festivities.
Kelly
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elliot's friend Mouse is heading off to a family reunion and he lists the hundres of cousins, siblings, aunts and uncles who will be there. When Elliot goes for a walk he becomes melancholy when he sees all kinds of families out doing things together. Then he gets welcomed into a family.
Michelle
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish-language
An adorable, if not melancholy, title in the Little Elliot series.

Kid Appeal: cute pictures, love those mice!, kids will understand how Elliot feels isolated using both the text and illustrations

Curriculum Connections: family members, friends
Audience: PK-2nd
Anthony
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable illustrations. Easy, humorous narrative. The loveliest thing about this impressive little book is the magnificent, intentional display of diverse human families in a story starring an polka-dotted elephant who yearns for a family.
Rebecca Light
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I think my favorite Little Elliot book
Alyssa
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
D'awwwww this one made me sniffle.
Aiden and Jack
Shelves: picture
Charming
Molly Ritterbeck
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At first, this was a sad story so I wasn't sure how it would play out. The ending was a perfect, heart warming story!
Angela Jett
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
Summary
This is an excellently illustrated book about an elephant named Elliot and his friend, Mouse. It is the day of Mouse's family reunion. Mouse explains to Elliot that he has an extra large family containing 15 brothers, 19 sisters, 25 aunts, 27 uncles, and 147 cousins. Elliot tries to keep himself entertained while Mouse is away, but everywhere he goes, he sees families spending time together. Elliot grows lonely wondering what it feels like to have just 1 cousin. This is a super cute book.
Celeste_pewter
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adored Little Elliot, Big City last year, and was absolutely delighted when I realized that author/illustrator Mike Curato had another book coming out so soon.

Curato's follow-up to his debut hit has just as much heart and charm as one would expect from a story about our favorite polka-dotted elephant. Though Elliot has continued his wonderful friendship with Mouse, his desire for a family sends him across the big city, trying to figure out where he belongs.

Readers will definitely love Elliot'
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Originally published on my blog, Nine Pages .

This is the second Little Elliot book by Curato, the first being Little Elliot, Big City. I haven’t read Little Elliot, Big City, but I went looking for the illustrations after falling in love with the illustrations in Little Elliot, Big Family and I think that Curato’s art has improved even between these two books, so we should keep a close watch on this man, I think. The illustrations in this book are beautiful, saturated, poignant—oh so poignant.
Barbara
In many respects, I can relate to Little Elliot. He and his friend Mouse enjoy doing many things together, but while Mouse heads off to a family reunion with his many relatives, Little Elliot stays behind, and decides to amuse himself. All around him, he sees various families spending time together. Although he tries to make the best of things--after all, sometimes being alone gives someone time to reflect on things and feel comfortable with him/herself--he starts feeling incredibly sad while wa ...more
Amelia
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elephants, mice
Mike Curato's beautiful illustrations return, this time with pint-sized details. Elephant's friend Mouse leaves for a pig family reunion, leaving Elephant to spend the day by himself contemplating his lack of family, when Mouse returns for him. Don't miss the title page, where you see mice setting up for a family reunion with seats made out of spools and toy blocks and bottle caps serving as plates. Elephant's independence makes you think he's an adult, but he's just a baby as portrayed by his r ...more
Emma (Miss Print)
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bea-read
Fantastic! Not that I expected anything less. Full review to come.
---
With Mouse away at a big family reunion, Elliot decides to take a walk in the city where he sees all kind of families. The more families he sees, the more Elliot wonders what it means to be on his own. But as Elliot soon learns, families can come in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes they might even choose you in Little Elliot, Big Family (2015) by Mike Curato.

Everyone's favorite polka dotted elephant is back in this delightful fo
Katie Nelson
Pinnell, G. S., & Fountas, I. C. (2006). Engaging readers in thinking and talking about
texts through interactive read aloud. Teaching for comprehending and
fluency: Thinking, talking, and writing about reading, k-8. Portsmouth, NH:
Heinemann Publishing.

Narrative:
“Today we are going to read, ‘Little Elliot, Big Family’ by Mike Curato.
Opening pages: “I hear the words, ‘family reunion’. Has anyone ever heard that word before or know what it means? (Children respond) A family reunion is where
Traci
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A picture book with a huge heart. Little Elliot has to be one of the most endearing and adorable characters in picture book history. Little Elliot first came on the #PB scene in 2014 in Little Elliot, Big City and now he stars in this one.

Elliot's friend, Mouse worries that there will not be enough food at his family reunion for his very large family but he heads to it hoping for the best. While Mouse is away, Elliot goes for a walk enjoying the sights of different families he sees along his wal
  • Mother Bruce
  • Room for Bear
  • Miss Hazeltine's Home for Shy and Fearful Cats
  • Strictly No Elephants
  • A Dog Wearing Shoes
  • Nerdy Birdy
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • Boats for Papa
  • Extraordinary Jane
  • Nana in the City
  • Herman and Rosie
  • What James Said
MIKE was born and raised in the suburbs of New York City. He has been drawing ever since he could hold a pencil. Mike attended Syracuse University and has a BFA in Illustration. After college, he moved to Seattle, where he eventually began a career as a graphic designer. You can see examples of Mike's design work here. In 2012, Mike finally achieved his lifelong goal of becoming a published author ...more
More about Mike Curato