Start by marking “This Is My Home, This Is My School” as Want to Read:
This Is My Home, This Is My School

This Is My Home, This Is My School

Drawing from his own childhood experiences, Jonathan Bean takes the autobiographically inspired family he introduced in Building Our House through the special rhythms and routines of a homeschooling day. For young Jonathan and his sisters, Mom is the teacher and a whole lot more, and Dad is the best substitute any kid could want. From math, science, and field trips to recess, s ...more
Published October 27th 2015 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about This Is My Home, This Is My School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is My Home, This Is My School

Abigail
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books About Home Schooling
In this second autobiographically inspired picture-book, following upon Building Our House , which chronicled how his family built their own home, author/artist Jonathan Bean here tells the story of how he and his sisters were home-schooled by his parents. All of the rooms of their house are classrooms, and the entire world is their art studio and playground, while their mother functions as school-teacher and their father as substitute-teacher and sports coach, leading to a fully integrated learning ...more
Tasha
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Based on his own experience being home-schooled as a child, Jonathan Bean shows the creative and structured chaos of a home schooling family. There are his siblings who are his classmates, his mother who is his teacher, and his father who comes in as a substitute teacher too. They have the playground of their yard and go on field trips to places like the library. Their art classes are outside and there are lots of other kids who join in those and phy ed too. Dinner is the place for show-and-tell ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A somewhat superficial introduction to the idea of homeschooling. Each picture could inspire a book of its own.
Ashley Boyne
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book showing how fun and worthwhile it is to homeschool/be homeschooled! Loved all the illustrations.
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
I’m a little biased in favor of this book, both because I’m a second generation homeschooler but also because I’ve known Jonathan Bean since I was 10. I grew up doing co-op twice a month in that house right on the front of the book (the house that is the subject of a previous book of his - Building Our House), sleeping over in their family’s treehouse, was close friends with his older sister, went to youth group with him and his siblings, was his Von Trapp sibling in a homeschool production of T ...more
Kelly Ford
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love this book! We have a lot of homeschooling families that come into our library, and now there is a book that shows a different kind of school other than traditional public school. I cannot wait to show them this book.
Andrea
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Love the book just don't like the illustrations.
Jessica
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I was so excited to have found a homeschooling picture book, only be bummed after reading it.
While I appreciate the author sharing his homeschool experience, the illustrations make it seem like homeschooling is chaotic and disorganized. Mom is disheveled, cranky, and drives a Volkswagen hippy van. The house is also a disaster and the dogs are eating off the floor.
While I agree that the world is our classroom and at times our houses do get messy, I do strongly believe in order, organization, an
Jasmine
Accurate to the homeschool experience.
Allison
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a pleasure this book is! The big, lively colorful illustrations, the clever prose... it's a loving portrait of one family's experience with homeschooling, and it kind of makes me want to homeschool, too! If I could do it as well as this family did, anyway. This book is a natural follow-up to Building Our House, which chronicled the author's family's do-it-yourself adventures in building their own home. Readers who enjoyed that volume will warm to this one, but both books stand alone equally ...more
Krista
An excellent picture book depicting homeschool life. Simon absolutely loved seeing other homeschoolers in a book and wanted me to keep reading it over and over again!

I love that it shows the chaos and mess that homeschooling can be, and also the freedom and adventure. I also appreciate that it is secular.
Suki
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When this book arrived at out door, Kaelyn and I read and delighted in it cover to cover twice. Then Kaelyn read it to my husband at bedtime. It's been a few days and now we are going more in depth while watching an author event with Jonathan Bean as a Read Aloud Revival member.

We are in love and will be acquiring the rest of Jonathan Bean's books.
Ms Threlkeld
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I appreciate the fact that this book is about homeschooling, since I've never read a picture book on this topic before. However, the illustrations were often overwhelming because they were packed with so many details and there wasn't much of a story, just simple identification of the narrator's home/school.
Karen
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, mom, ellie
We liked this book not for the great writing but for a real look at another homeschool family. It was so awesome be able to relate to another homeschooler. Jake liked his other book building their house better. He rates this one 3 stars..krb 3/30/16
pati
Although this is a story about a homeschooling experience, it is a very good example of parents doing their job of being their child's first teacher! Every child should be so lucky to have parents willing to create teachable moments and foster a love of finding things out!
Anne
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, autobiographically-inspired story, and the first picture book about home education that I have ever seen! Really fun to watch homeschooled kids make connections with the story-- even when it's in reference to the mean lunch lady!
Adrienne Pettinelli
Once again, I wonder if the Bean parents are looking for more children, because that house seems so warm and fun. The energy of Bean's illustrations captures the energy of most homeschooling families I know.
Elizabeth
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice representation of another type of "schooling" because I pretty much haven't seen any pictures books about homeschooling. Didn't care for the pictures as much, much to busy and difficult to look at.
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a great picture of the way we homeschool. Loved it. My only reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is that I prefer the crisper illustrations in his previous book, Building our House.
Danette
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was great! What a fun look into a home schooling family's life.
Jenni Frencham
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I am glad to see a book about homeschooling, but the illustrations were too busy and difficult to decipher. I would love to see another book on this topic with a different style of illustration.
Emily Scheinman
Reminded me of my own childhood living somewhat off the grid!
My home-educated children and I adore this book. It is rare to see a non-traditional school environment represented in children's books, and Bean brings a humor and warmth to the project that is irresistible. Is there mess and chaos in a homeschooling family? Yes--and Bean represents it with what I would call comic realism. It's realistic, but slightly exaggerated in a way that brings out the humor of the situation (and, after a hard day of school at home, that is precisely what we need). In the ...more
Shannon Goodrich
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
What a fun house! Jonathan Bean was homeschooled and so this is in part reminiscent of his own childhood. Not too different, my husband grew up on a farm with thousands of acres. My husband did go to school - taking a bus with his sisters there and back - but when he was home he was making his own adventures and learning about science from his Dad's farm animals and literature from his Mother a librarian. I can see how his own explorations come through in the way he works with our own kids - bui ...more
Jana
This is an awesome picture book that helps readers see a day in the life of a homeschooler. With the same family and warm, inviting illustrations from the book Building Our House, the narrative describes the day by showing each part of it as it would be in a traditional school setting. The boy’s classmates and teacher are also his sisters and his mom. The classrooms are also his living room, basement, and kitchen. I love that this book is one that homeschoolers will recognize themselves in and o ...more
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
As a homeschooling parent, I didn’t enjoy reading this picture book to my children. The illustrations are far too busy for my liking. Whereas, the writing is too simple and uninteresting. In some instances there is only one, vague sentence for two pages of cluttered illustrations. There is so much more that could have been told about the wonders of being a homeschooling family. The positive of this book is that I’m delighted to finally see someone writing about homeschooling on a child’s level.
Lisa
Aug 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Really wanted to like this because it highlighted homeschool and we are looking for more relatable books for my daughter. Biggest issue was the overwhelming illustrations. There is SO much per page and it is sight overload. I tried to ignore that and focus on the story but the pictures continually pulled me from it. Also I think it is meant in good fun but they portray the mom as the "mean lunch lady" and show how tired doing school makes her and how the intimidating (but not really) dad has to ...more
Breana
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a homeschool family must read. Most books portray the average school day of getting on a bus, spending the day in a classroom full of kids, having lunch in a cafeteria, and recess. We are a homeschool family and relate to this book on many levels. My 6 year old truly enjoyed reading this book and felt connected with it. She also appreciated the real-life pictures the author added at the end of the book!
Alicia Thompson
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a standalone picture book, this is a three-star book. But when considering the subject matter, it certainly deserves more than that. There just aren't that many books about homeschool. And it generally describes what ours is like. Kids are certainly interested in what my children do all day. This is a pretty good representation.
Skye
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book and I wish there were more books in the world like this, that highlight homeschooling. Yes, the graphics are a bit busy, but it doesn't take away from the story as a whole. I loved it, and my kids loved it too. We will be purchasing a copy for our local library to add to their collection.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!
  • Ben Draws Trouble
  • It Is Not Time for Sleeping (A Bedtime Story)
  • Planet Kindergarten
  • Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)
  • Little Elliot, Big Family (Little Elliot, #2)
  • Bad Bye, Good Bye